RegisterDonateLogin

Is going down a path you can follow.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

50/50 chance that the SWM License has been purchased and has a new company!! Options
thodafett
Posted: Saturday, April 3, 2010 12:58:13 AM
Groups: Member

Being a fan of WWII, I play a couple of WWII based table top games(CMG). While going through some forums I came across a link to a game I don't play, but is extremely popular, yet a tad expensive. I felt inclined to read some stuff on their site and came across an "April Fool's Day" list of 10 items. 5 of which are true, 5 of which are false. Number 2 reads like this

"2. We have the rights to produce the Star Wars tabletop miniatures game now that the Wizards of the Coast license have expired."

here is the link for futher scrutiny:
http://www.flamesofwar.com/

Now this gives us a 50/50 chance that it is legit. However the License with Wotc goes till May from what I understand. Now this doesnt discredit the statement fully, but does add a question mark. In my opionion the License has been available for quite some time, and a deal could have already been made for after Wotc.

I also think they might have tipped their hand too early if true, and Wotc could go after them for tampering, so I didn't post a lot of info on the main Wotc site. As Wotc still has the License this month.

We could see an offical annoucment maybe sometime in May or later from them if true. I also want to remind people that the offcial SW site did say to watch for future annoucemnets in regards to the future of Star Wars gaming/rpg. Were they referring to just the new pack-ins for the action figure line, or could this be our first glimpse at the future of Star Wars miniatures?

So far they haven't said which 5 are true and which 5 are false.

Let the debating begin!

As far as the company goes, they work in metal miniatures, do great detail, but cost an arm and a leg!

the mother company is "Battlefront miniatures" I believe.
PhageLab
Posted: Saturday, April 3, 2010 1:02:31 AM

Out of the list, this does appear to be one of the more legitimate sounding plans. On a side note, I'd like to see that Captain America fig!
CerousMutor
Posted: Saturday, April 3, 2010 1:02:56 AM

link to forum please?
thodafett
Posted: Saturday, April 3, 2010 1:05:30 AM

it isn't on the forum, it is on the front page. I will look around for forums, and post a link to anything I find.

edit:
this will take a couple of minutes...you have to be registered to go into their forums, and I don't have an account. I will sign up now. But I don't think I will be able to post a link, that you can follow without a membership. the forum is found on the home page, go to the top of th page and click the "community" button and select forums.

edit:
here is link, I dont know if you will be able to follow, without being logged-in. It goes directly to the "aprils fools day list speculation" thread.

http://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=126&aff=6&aft=512611&afv=topic

edit:
Nothing in the thread to say it isn't true. From the consensus of the group of posters, more seem to think it is true than false. One poster mentioned that some Employess were talking about future Star Wars products at a New Zealand convention! intersting!

I would think if true their game would look nothing like what we had from WOTC.
CerousMutor
Posted: Saturday, April 3, 2010 1:48:54 AM

Quote:

Posted By agentbalzac on 01 Apr 2010 05:18 PM
True = 2,3,4,7,8

False = 1,5,6,9,10

Above is the first post on the thread by the author!
There is no list anymore just the results!!
I dont know if this is correct but 2 is said to be true!!!!!!
They claim to have the rightsScared Scared LOL ThumpUp Wub Woot Mellow Confused Bomb BlooMilk BlooMilk Heart
MandaloreTheFirst
Posted: Saturday, April 3, 2010 2:06:07 AM

This could be a very good thing. Just one question: Are their minis prepainted or are we all going to have to add paint and brushes to our plastic crack?
MandaloreTheFirst
Posted: Saturday, April 3, 2010 2:12:11 AM

Never mind I found my answer. If they make SW like their other minis(out of plastic/metal) we will be able to assemble and paint the minis ourselfs. Dont know if I'll switch to them, cause if I wanted to make and paint I would have picked Warhammer 40K instead of SWM, way back when. Looks like I'll just wait and see what they do before I make any final decisions.
jedispyder
Posted: Saturday, April 3, 2010 2:18:21 AM

Grain of salt for now.
Roque Saber
Posted: Saturday, April 3, 2010 2:26:44 AM

I wouldn't mind one bit if we got to assemble our own pieces. Tbh, 40k was really appealing, but Star Wars wins just because it's Star Wars (and I liked the game mechanics better). But the level of detail on the models sure beats the Weequay Pirate...
thodafett
Posted: Saturday, April 3, 2010 2:31:02 AM

If True, and a new SWm game is forth coming from Battlefront Miniatures, It won't be a CMG. You will need to assemble and paint your own miniatures if they follow their current product line. I think it will be the mass combat machine that a lot of the current games fans have wanted. But this is just my opionion, and I have no more information than anyone else. And the BIG IF!!! It may or may not be true.
dojimaster
Posted: Saturday, April 3, 2010 2:49:55 AM

If they are the same scale (or close enough) I'll buy, assemble, paint whatever. But, if the scale is off, no thanks. I don't care about game mechanics, stat cards, anything else. The scale must be right, or why bother?
I. J. Thompson
Posted: Saturday, April 3, 2010 3:06:10 AM

I'm with Dojimaster on that one.
Demosthenes
Posted: Saturday, April 3, 2010 3:07:54 AM

Meh. I like how SWM is now. Don't want it to change, since I just started collecting. =(
dojimaster
Posted: Saturday, April 3, 2010 3:17:10 AM

Unless I am mistaken (which happens, ask my wife!) it looks like Flames of War is scaled to 15mm - not that their Star Wars product would be, but just an FYI.

Other than scale....

Potential Positives:
Vehicles - they do them really nice. Maybe we get: AAT, AT-TE, Juggernaut, Homing Spider Droid etc.
Mass combat more manageable?
You can buy exactly what you want - pre boxed

Negatives:
Did I mention scale? Unsure
celticindian
Posted: Saturday, April 3, 2010 3:28:16 AM

What's SWM scale?
ARCTrooper-A79
Posted: Saturday, April 3, 2010 3:47:34 AM

Well, this doesn't really help me. To begin with the minis are metal and half their previous scale (28mm => 15mm), so no new custom parts. I like the idea of SWM becoming a strategic war game, as a change of pace, but I doubt I'll buy many pieces at their usual unit prices. As for unique characters, we will likely get the main movie/tv series characters, but it's not likely we'd see our favorite B-listers or EU characters. It looks like a good company, so I'm sure they'll put out some quality pieces, but it just won't be the same.
dalsiandon
Posted: Saturday, April 3, 2010 4:14:22 AM

hum...
wannabe mexican
Posted: Saturday, April 3, 2010 4:18:19 AM

Flames of War is my least favourite WW2 wargaming platform, but if they were to produce 15mm scaled star wars figures and vehicles then I might give them a try. When it comes to WW2 I much prefer 20mm, but haven't played in a while.

I would love for them to carry on the SWM line though.
ARCTrooper-A79
Posted: Saturday, April 3, 2010 4:43:00 AM

I've been looking over their online store. Buying individual units seems pretty pricy, but the Army Boxes give you a good sized set for the money. If they were to give the Republic and Separatist Armys the same treatment, I could see myself saving up to buy them.

Dream Sets:
Republic
AT-TE x3
AT-RT x6
Heavy Artillery Cannon x4
BARC Speeder x4
Clone Trooper Platoon x5
Forward Command Bunker w/ Clone Commander
Jedi Master General & Jedi Padawan Commander

Separatist
AAT x4
MTT x2
Proton Cannon x4
Battle Droid on STAP x4
Droid Platoon (BDs, SBDs, & Destroyers) x5
Forward Command Bunker w/ Tactical Droid
Neimoidian Commander & Generic Dark Jedi

Drool
R5Don4
Posted: Saturday, April 3, 2010 4:54:09 AM

Would be awesome if it were true but I think it is a poor excuse for a joke.