RegisterDonateLogin

All who gain Bloo Milk are afraid to lose it. Even the Jedi.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

50/50 chance that the SWM License has been purchased and has a new company!! Options
ARCTrooper-A79
Posted: Saturday, April 3, 2010 5:03:06 AM
Groups: Member

As a point of reference, this is what you get with the 2nd Armored Division Box Set, priced at $265.00 (US).

PhageLab
Posted: Saturday, April 3, 2010 6:17:34 AM

As a point of reference, if they don't keep the game mechanics the same I'm not buying a thing.
FAB
Posted: Saturday, April 3, 2010 6:46:45 AM

If they use the same scale but have new rules, it'd be a calculated risk. There would be a continuing market for people who continue playing SWM and want new pieces for customs/V-Sets. But it could also depress sales since there's already an existing secondary market for SWM pieces that might be able to be used for their own game (although obviously not for official games). Although since people already have SWM at that scale, it'd probably also be easier to convince people to try their new game if they can do unofficial games using SWM figures.

I think we'd see some interesting V-set pieces if the new game looks much like the above picture. Lots of large and huge squad-pieces.
carnorjax1
Posted: Saturday, April 3, 2010 1:24:29 PM

R5Don4 wrote:
Would be awesome if it were true but I think it is a poor excuse for a joke.

Interesting, but how likely is it? The source certainly doesn't seem too reliable, and it was April Fools. If it is true, then we pretty much go full circle to the old metal Star Wars game.
General_Grievous
Posted: Saturday, April 3, 2010 2:01:25 PM

I am going to just sit back and not say anything until this is confirmed, but as many have already expressed I am a fan of the prepainted plastic type. Not so much something brand new and this expensive/complicated to create (I suck at painting) But it may be good, so I'll reserve final thoughts on it.
DarkDracul
Posted: Saturday, April 3, 2010 2:12:31 PM

Wow! I checked the Flames of Wars link to Gale Force Nine.
They're making stuff for Axis & Allis and D&D.

http://www.gf9.com/

Dungeon Master's Token Set Revealed Friday, 03/19/10

Gale Force Nine’s Dungeon Master’s Token Set is the first of many accessories we are producing for Dungeons & Dragons. Created in cooperation with Wizards of the Coast,

New GF9 Accessories for Axis & Allies Naval Miniatures
Wednesday, 12/16/09

Gale Force Nine is pleased to present new accessories for Wizards of the Coast Axis and Allies Naval Miniatures battle game!
bokkendo
Posted: Saturday, April 3, 2010 3:20:13 PM

I would not assume its going to be anything like their other game interms of scale or being unassebled. They may have picked up the game to be mass produced in China a prepainted palstic as a way to make some money. Privateer press came out with Monsterpocalypse for that reason and they had only a white metal model do it your self game up to then that in no way resembles it in scale or mechanics. We will jsut have to wait and see. Although if they came out with 15 mm mass combat game like flames of war but star wars that would be awsome. I would want to play that for sure. But if it was going to be a 15mm mass combat system why would they need to wait for WOTC liscence to expire. It would be a different game entirely and other companies were making game while WOTC had a liscence such as that crappy pcoket model game. Also if it were 15mm there is the possibility it may be a space ship game.
DarthReeves
Posted: Saturday, April 3, 2010 5:23:12 PM

Very simple folks: If they change how the game is played, it doesn't matter what the pieces look like, I'm done. I have all these minis and if they are no longer valid and the scale/rules are changing then there's no reason to celebrate.
Demosthenes
Posted: Sunday, April 4, 2010 1:51:02 AM

DarthReeves wrote:
Very simple folks: If they change how the game is played, it doesn't matter what the pieces look like, I'm done. I have all these minis and if they are no longer valid and the scale/rules are changing then there's no reason to celebrate.

QFT
xpraider
Posted: Sunday, April 4, 2010 11:21:33 AM

I can't say I expect them to simply pick up where Wizards left off. They have a chance to make the Star Wars game they want to make and play, and I'm sure they've got their own ideas they'd like to try out and use.

If we each had the chance to make our own Star Wars game, I'm sure many of us would either chance the way the game plays or create a different type of game.

I'm hoping they make a skirmish game though, since Star Wars has been more about the individual characters and what they went through rather than the large battles, and I'm hoping they take advantage of the EU and what it allows them to make. But we'll just have to wait to see.
mercenary_moose
Posted: Sunday, April 4, 2010 11:26:14 AM

Dang... I'm definitely taking this with a grain of salt, but it sure is interesting.
Stripwalker
Posted: Wednesday, April 7, 2010 7:17:35 AM

I very much doubt that FOW will purchase the rights- simply put though they are 'big' they can not even come close to affording the rights.

Besides WOTC says that they have the rights for a few more months and at the same time that those rights run out Hasbro releases the Star Wars Galactic Battles rules with the action figure line- each figure comes with a stat card, dice and rules that look VERY similar to the WOTC ones (and since WOTC is a subsidiary of Hasbro I am not surprised). I dont think it is coincidence, I think Hasbro is taking over and launching their own game at that time on purpose. It wont be the same sadly, but it is the new direction for Star Wars gaming...
DarthJoe8
Posted: Wednesday, April 7, 2010 10:24:24 AM

PhageLab wrote:
As a point of reference, if they don't keep the game mechanics the same I'm not buying a thing.

Exactly....ThumpUp
Heisenberg
Posted: Wednesday, April 7, 2010 5:05:38 PM

I hope that which ever company picks up the game, they could do a really nice thing and keep them the same size. I know there would probably be legal issues with that tho right. If wizards was really decent, they would tottaly allow someone to carry on the flame.
Stripwalker
Posted: Wednesday, April 7, 2010 5:35:16 PM

there are plenty of usable sci-fi minis in that scale- the hard part will be that no knew rules or maps will come out so it will have to be entirely fan driven
ugavine
Posted: Wednesday, April 7, 2010 11:29:58 PM

Heisenberg wrote:
I hope that which ever company picks up the game, they could do a really nice thing and keep them the same size. I know there would probably be legal issues with that tho right. If wizards was really decent, they would tottaly allow someone to carry on the flame.

Flames of War are 15mm scale unpainted. While I am currently having fun with painting Warhammer 40K figures I can't say I'd be happy painting smaller Star Wars ones. Plus they didn't sell well when WEG produced them.

Can't see any problem with any company using the same scale as current SWM, and I've said before that none of us really know what is in WOTC's contract with LFL, so we don't really know how much of the game LFL owns.

Still not convinced about this news though.