RegisterDonateLogin

You must drink what you think is right, of course.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Poll Question : What do you use Mini Manager for? (if at all)
Choice Votes Statistics
Use it for collection tracking 2 6.896551 %
Use it for squad building 1 3.448275 %
Use it for collection tracking AND squad building 2 6.896551 %
Use it to look up stats & abilities 0 0.000000 %
Use it to create my own customs 0 0.000000 %
Use it for all the above 8 27.586206 %
DON'T use it, and not likely to in the future 12 41.379310 %
OTHER: combos not listed above etc; comment please 4 13.793103 %

Star Wars Mini Manager: what do you use it for? Options
swinefeld
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 8:59:30 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I'm seeking some community input.

I've been updating Chuck's Star Wars Mini Manager since the v-sets began, and am about to release the update for Galactic Heroes & TOR (finally). Also, with V-set 6 completed and at the printer, it's time to get the next update going.

However, the expansion of the game through the v-sets has grown way beyond the program's coding and there realistically isn't anything I can do about that, so I'm trying to determine the best way to proceed (or not as it may be).

So, with that in mind I'd like to get a loose survey of how many people are still using the Mini Manager and how you are using it. I'll try to cover as many bases as I can with questions. Please choose the answer that best matches your primary use of the program.

I'll elaborate on all this later. For now I just need some data to help me make some decisions.

Comments are welcome and appreciated. Thanks for your input. BlooMilk
EmporerDragon
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 9:19:23 PM
Groups: Member

I primarily use it for quick stat lookups as it's a bit faster than using this site.

Collection tracking and squad building haven't been used a whole lot lately as my collection hasn't grown nor have I really played anything for quite some time.

When I was more active online, I found the best use of the program was as a Vassal supplement where I could build both players squads, then compare them allowing me to have all needed information and references 1 click away.
Sashlon
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 10:19:41 PM

I use it for everything BlooMilk
The Celestial Warrior
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 10:38:40 PM

Sashlon wrote:

+1
UrbanShmi
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2013 3:16:02 AM

I don't use it...at all. I don't think I've ever been to the site, honestly. Bloomilk serves my purposes for squadbuilding, and I've long since given up trying to track my collection lol.
swinefeld
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2013 5:49:33 AM

UrbanShmi wrote:
I don't use it...at all. I don't think I've ever been to the site, honestly. Bloomilk serves my purposes for squadbuilding, and I've long since given up trying to track my collection lol.

Just to clarify, this is a program that runs on your computer, not a web site. But I guess you don't use it either way. Smile
tonythetoyman
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2013 8:14:50 AM

Love the program. Mostly use it for collection tracking. Occasionally use it for stats. Sometimes I use it to quickly look through the figures I have so I can pick a good character for an RPG game.

I have not updated it for use with v-sets as I'm afraid that will mess up my collection stats. How do the vsets work in SWMM?
UrbanShmi
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2013 8:52:00 AM

swinefeld wrote:
UrbanShmi wrote:

Just to clarify, this is a program that runs on your computer, not a web site. But I guess you don't use it either way. Smile

Oops. Silly me. Shows how much attention I've been paying lol.
swinefeld
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2013 9:22:01 AM

tonythetoyman wrote:
Love the program. Mostly use it for collection tracking. Occasionally use it for stats. Sometimes I use it to quickly look through the figures I have so I can pick a good character for an RPG game.

I have not updated it for use with v-sets as I'm afraid that will mess up my collection stats. How do the vsets work in SWMM?

They work (mostly) like any regular set, and do change the overall Inventory counts. For that matter, so do customs and the Lost Twenty if you enable either of those options.

I'm glad you brought it up; something else for me to consider.
dreadtech
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2013 10:15:32 AM

sorry really don't use it, have tried it though once I think.
Segastorm
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2013 1:38:52 PM

I store more of my favorite squads in minimanager just in case something happens to my internet or this site, nothing more really.
Voren_Chalco
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2013 4:06:50 PM

I use it to track my collection (although I don't think I've updated it recently), but mostly to look up stats. I can navigate it easier than Bloo's character pages simply because I've been using it longer.
Deathwielded
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2013 4:44:52 PM

I use it for all of the aboveThumbsUp
Especially for making squads containing customs (from this site!)
Bloo milk does cover most of what the Mini Manager does, minus building squads with customs.
1 problem I have though is since I put so many customs on there (300+) The squad builder is messed up and subs some of the customs for other totally unrelated custom minis.Confused
Deathwielded
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2013 4:46:49 PM

I already added the new V-sets via Custom builder But maybe I should reload the program.
And I noticed none of the V-set minis show up in any of the search results but all the customs show up fine.
Keep up the good workBlooMilk BlooMilk BlooMilk
PrimeClone
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2013 4:50:30 PM

Use it for everything. Love this program. Not sure why but, I find everything is 10 sec or less. I love it for squad building because its "soo" fast loading. I mean soo fast. I'm surprised so many are not using it. I even have it updated to track my collection now. I think it one of the coolest fan made aid.
Thanks for updating it.

Cheers
swinefeld
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2013 7:20:27 PM

Deathwielded wrote:
I use it for all of the aboveThumbsUp
Especially for making squads containing customs (from this site!)
Bloo milk does cover most of what the Mini Manager does, minus building squads with customs.
1 problem I have though is since I put so many customs on there (300+) The squad builder is messed up and subs some of the customs for other totally unrelated custom minis.Confused

That's one of the tricky things. Each mini has to have a unique MiniID number, and the custom builder is kinda weird about assigning them, so there are sometimes collisions with other pieces. I have a spreadsheet to track the numbers I use and keep the v-sets in sequence. You need to manually edit them to numbers way out of range of the v-set pieces and that will fix it.
swinefeld
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2013 8:28:04 PM

Deathwielded wrote:
And I noticed none of the V-set minis show up in any of the search results but all the customs show up fine.

You are correct, and the search issue is one of several things I've been mulling over that led me to post the poll. I'm considering moving the v-sets into the customs file, but that wouldn't be good for people like yourself that actually use the custom builder. It's a bit of a conundrum.
surf_rider56
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2013 9:36:36 PM

The Celestial Warrior wrote:
Sashlon wrote:

+1

+2 BlooMilk
swinefeld
Posted: Friday, June 21, 2013 7:12:27 AM

swinefeld wrote:
tonythetoyman wrote:

They work (mostly) like any regular set, and do change the overall Inventory counts. For that matter, so do customs and the Lost Twenty if you enable either of those options.

I'm glad you brought it up; something else for me to consider.

I looked into this further, and a workaround is to add another copy of the program on your computer for the v-sets.

Make a separate shortcut to the new one and name it so you know which is which. Add the v-set stuff to the new copy. The original copy you track your collection in will function normally without changing the collection totals and percentages.

The caveat is you can't have both open at the same time.

This thread has been very useful so far. Thanks to all for your comments.
Galactic Funk
Posted: Friday, June 21, 2013 10:15:43 AM

I've never used it but that's only because my old laptop crapped out on me before I started playing swm and I haven't had much of a reason to get a new one. Which is also the reason why I don't play on Vassal.

The day will come when I get one and I will certainly use it for squad building and collection tracking at that point.