RegisterDonateLogin

Slightly more stable than an AT-ST on a log trap.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Korriban inspired... Kashyyk Endor Trees added Options
Azrikel
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 1:02:47 PM
Groups: Member

I figured I would share my Korriban inspired gaming table. This has been constructed from hand carved styrofoam and Hirst Arts molds.

"/>

"/>

I figured I would share my new tree sculpts I finally completed for Kashyyk/Endor type scenarios
"/>

"/>
DARPH NADER
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 1:10:34 PM

Very nice indeed! Thanks for sharing this piece of art.
General_Grievous
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 3:09:03 PM

Wow, that is epic sweet
obiwan1knight
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 5:35:53 PM

THat is Awesome! What did you do to make the rock look like rock?
Deathwielded
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 6:37:14 PM

I. WANT. THIS. Take my money. Lol. I don't even have a physical collection anymore but that looks friggen epic!
Azrikel
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 8:36:13 AM

Deathwielded wrote:
I. WANT. THIS. Take my money. Lol. I don't even have a physical collection anymore but that looks friggen epic!

Haha... Everything is for sale for the right price. BigGrin

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I'm glad you like it.

@ obiwan1knight: Regarding the rock face.
1 - I carve the desired form our of foam.
2 - then cover it with a decent coat of spackle. I suggest trying to get it about an 1/8" thick.
3 - Let it dry.
4 - Run a heavy duty wire bristle brush side to side over the surface.
5 - Once you achieve the desired texture, brush a coat of watered down PVA glue over it to help strength it.
6 - Depending on the color and look I'm going for, I typically start with a dark coat of paint, usually a really dark grey. Dry brush a few times and add a couple of dark shaded washes, then usually followed by another pass of dry brush to add in desired highlights.
darthwhovian
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 11:06:27 AM

I have to say I was in awe looking at your creation!!! Just awesome!!! Kudos to you!!
Darth Hiltz
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 9:16:21 PM

Wow that looks amazing! How many hours do you have into it?
obiwan1knight
Posted: Thursday, April 17, 2014 3:51:22 AM

Thanks Azrikal. How long did it take to make the whole thing?
Azrikel
Posted: Thursday, April 17, 2014 9:45:21 AM

If I include my entire Mos Eisley board which is in the back part of one of the photos you see, I've been working on this project off an on during my weekends over the past 2-3 years. Bear in mind that during that time there is also a lot of stuff I've made that I've sold off as I've continued to improve designs and processes which aren't in the photo. If I had to guess hours specific to what you see in the picture I would say 200-250 hrs or so but also note I've refinished and repainted a good portion of this more than once to reach the look and color palette I am now finally happy with.
HanSolo79
Posted: Thursday, April 17, 2014 10:04:48 AM

SCHWING!! Wow. A labor of love, and it shows... man I wish I was in your gaming circle, haha Drool
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, April 17, 2014 10:20:34 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Amazing. Wow.
Azrikel
Posted: Monday, September 1, 2014 7:34:36 PM

New tree sculpts added for Kashyyk/Endor scenarios
kobayashimaru
Posted: Tuesday, September 2, 2014 4:11:29 AM

Pure Awesome.
Testament to persistence: this project might've taken a while, but the results speak for themselves: a lot of effort must've gone into this.
Korriban is finally 3D and textured: how did you achieve that wonderful paint effect?
This'd be awesome if the lifts etc actually work as well, or if the terrain has 'cutaway' section; thats the only concrit I can think of!

how much does the board weigh? and how do you find storage for it? Does it break up into segments? if so, I'm having trouble seeing where the segment lines are, they blend seamlessly.
These'd be great for your gunship customs to whiz around on.

So, the obvious question after this awesomeness is perhaps-
what's next? What projects are on the burner? What's the desk looking like for upcoming projects?
It'd be cool to see your take on the classic starship interior map from RotS starter,
speaking of cool... have you done any generic ice/hoth-esque maps?
A landing platform kit would be swell also: I'm tooling one atm in MDF and Corflute (corflute being ~96c USD per A1 sheet).
corflute and plasticard for the win!

Any vehicle or translucent effects in the pipeline?
Vehicles would be muchly appreciated,

Cheers!
Gungan Batman Clone
Posted: Tuesday, September 2, 2014 4:29:50 AM

Wow! Seriously WOW! Beautifully done! Are there more Mos Eisely close up photos?
Azrikel
Posted: Tuesday, September 2, 2014 7:41:46 PM

Thank you guys.

@ Gungan Batman Clone, here is a link to my thread on Hirst Arts. http://hirstarts.yuku.com/topic/5283/Mos-Eisley-meets-Korriban-inpsired-Star-War-miniature-gaming?page=7#.VAaH1tm9LCQ. I've posted a bunch of pictures both progress and finished. I also have my Mos Eisley stuff currently listed on eBay since I'm considering redoing this layout if it sells so you can also see close ups of each the buildings with the roofs off, etc. If you want to see the various photos on eBay just search for Mos Eisley terrain, my seller id is jboe88.

@kobayashimaru, I've done several layers of paint, washes etc to achieve the paint colors and shades. I haven't done an ice/hoth scene yet. It is on my list but towards the bottom. Right now I'm leaning towards either a sci-fi interior modular dungeon type crawl or an urban sci-fi layout inspired by the cancelled 1313 video game artwork. No individual specific vehicles as of right now. I've contemplated doing an ebon hawk and I've even gutted a 3 1/2" Millenium falcon toy with the intention of building out a full layout customized interior but other projects have distracted me and there just aren't ever enough spare hours so they are still on the dream/imagination list. I did make a landing platform about a year ago but sold it. I hope to revisit it in the near future with a more girder/steel beam type layout.
Here's a link to what it looked like: http://hirstarts.yuku.com/topic/5283/Mos-Eisley-meets-Korriban-inpsired-Star-War-miniature-gaming?page=6#.VAaPYdm9LCQ

Everything I do I try to do in a modular and storable design. The ground tiles range from 2"x2", 3"x3"... to 6"x6". Buildings and vertical structures are typically on 9"x9" to 12"x12" base surface areas with the exception of the ruined temple center piece which is on a 2'x2' base. I think it weighs close to 60lbs.
Azrikel
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2014 8:17:49 AM

"/>

In case anyone might be interested, I decided to put some of my new statues which are over 4.5" tall on ebay along with some of my big trees.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131306064804?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131304471961?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Here's a shot of some new modular crater type terrain pieces I'm working on as well.
"/>

"/>