RegisterDonateLogin

Here's where the fun begins.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

CCC Week 38 Baron Soontir Fel, Masterful Pilot. (imperial) Options
Deathwielded
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 4:48:44 AM
Groups: Member

Here are the Rules:
1. The character must be cannon and from the chosen faction. They can have affinity, but the character must start in the chosen faction.
2. You may update any existing versions you already have and/or create a new one. You may update/create several versions of the character but you must ultimately select 1 you wish to run with. (this must be done by the schedule below)
3. Place a hyperlink in this forum to make it easier to find your character. You can just post the stats or image here but if changes are needed it would be easier (and save space) if you just used a Hyperlink (If you don't know how to post Hyperlinks in a forum setting please ask and we will help you. It's not hard )
4. Please rate the characters in this contest, however don't be so base as to 1 bomb the other characters in this contest. This is a friendly contest, just have fun, be honest and do your best.
5. Voting will look like this: "I rated so-and-so(A) an 8, so-and-so(B) an 9, and so-and-so(C) a 7. My vote goes to so-and-so(B). (this vote counts as 1 point) Please feel free to comment on why you made your choice, (what you liked) or not and just put your scores.
6. Too make things fair you must vote in order to win the contest. You must vote for all characters entered in the contest and you may not rate or vote for your own character.
7. The character that is rated the highest in the Bloo Milk rating system will receive a bonus of 2 points. The winner will be decided by how many points they receive (for example: so-and-so(B) received 3 individual votes and received the bonus 2 for being the highest rated character for a total of 5 points)
8. you may not change or update the entered character AFTER the deadline (from Tuesday-Thursday you may get advice and change your character accordingly) Friday at midnight before any votes are cast is the deadline.

The schedule will be like this: Monday the winner of last weeks CCC will announce his choice for the character (including his faction), from Tuesday till Friday characters can be created/updated but on Friday you must have picked one character to submit. Then voting will be held on Saturday, Sunday and Monday until 4, Monday night the winner will be announced and the next character picked.
Lord_Ball
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 6:37:11 AM

The Imperial of choice to reuse my Ace Pilot ability on
Baron Soontir Fel, Imperial Ace
saber1
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 9:47:36 PM

I was looking over my Fel from a year ago for this week's contest. I like how it capture's the character's prowess as a commander but I feel I didn't truly portray how deadly he was as a pilot. To that end, I thought up an ability that I would greatly appreciate feedback on.

Legendary Ace (This character can subtract from the natural attack roll required to score a critical hit up to the number enemies of equal or larger base size he has defeated this skirmish)

Obviously, this is strong so I precluded the abuse of Uggies, Mouse Droids, etc. to gain an auto-crit situation. Some other possible tweaks for limitations are as follows:

1. "while an allied Pilot is within 6 squares"
2. "Against enemy pilots"
3. ?

Also, the name ensures its limited use to characters such as Luke, Anakin, Jaina, Wedge, Corran, Vader, etc. To open it up to broader use, possible name changes are as follows:

1. Veteran Combatant
2. Experienced Fighter
3. ?

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Lord_Ball
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 3:14:48 AM

how about for each enemy defeated with a higher cost? Either way I'd probably simplify the ability to "Increase this characters critical hit range by 1 for ..."
saber1
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 7:03:01 AM

Lord_Ball wrote:
how about for each enemy defeated with a higher cost? Either way I'd probably simplify the ability to "Increase this characters critical hit range by 1 for ..."

I understand what you are saying but "critical hit range" isn't a defined term in the game (as far as I know). You and I know to what it refers, but it may not translate well for other SWM gamers. That's not to say my wording is best, or even clear. This was a tough one to convey in a single sentence.
Lord_Ball
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 7:56:45 AM

how about "attack roll critical hit" or "critical hit attack roll" whichever flows nicer
saber1
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2014 7:55:25 AM

Lord_Ball wrote:
how about "attack roll critical hit" or "critical hit attack roll" whichever flows nicer

I'm not sure I follow.
Lord_Ball
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2014 8:28:47 AM

was trying to use defined terms to address the situation, while it may not be the most direct/clear terminology "on card" obviously the Glossary version would explain the details. So something like: "Whenever this character defeats an enemy that (qualifier clause here) increase the critical hit of the attack roll for this character by 1"
Deathwielded
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2014 3:07:54 PM

pegolego
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2014 8:02:33 PM

saber1 wrote:
I was looking over my Fel from a year ago for this week's contest. I like how it capture's the character's prowess as a commander but I feel I didn't truly portray how deadly he was as a pilot. To that end, I thought up an ability that I would greatly appreciate feedback on.

Legendary Ace (This character can subtract from the natural attack roll required to score a critical hit up to the number enemies of equal or larger base size he has defeated this skirmish)

Hmm... If you still need a wording, maybe something like this: Whenever this character defeats an enemy of equal or larger base size, for the rest of the skirmish it scores critical hits on natural attack rolls of one less than it needed prior to defeating that enemy (this bonus stacks with itself)

Or maybe '...for the rest of the skirmish it gains -1 to the amount needed to score critical hits on it's attack rolls (this bonus stacks with itself)

Man, this is a tough one to word.
General_Grievous
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2014 11:04:02 PM

http://www.bloomilk.com/Custom/18043/baron-fel--empire-of-the-hand-commander

Went for the second Thrawn series timeline, and fittingly works quite well with Jagged and the Klatoonian Captain.
saber1
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 6:40:37 AM

pegolego wrote:
saber1 wrote:

Hmm... If you still need a wording, maybe something like this: Whenever this character defeats an enemy of equal or larger base size, for the rest of the skirmish it scores critical hits on natural attack rolls of one less than it needed prior to defeating that enemy (this bonus stacks with itself)

Or maybe '...for the rest of the skirmish it gains -1 to the amount needed to score critical hits on it's attack rolls (this bonus stacks with itself)

Thanks pegolego. It is a tough one. Your first wording is not far from one of my earlier versions. With a tweak this might work...

Legendary Ace (Whenever this character defeats an enemy of equal or larger base size, for the rest of the skirmish it scores a critical hit on a natural attack roll of one less than currently required (this bonus stacks with itself))

That is probably the least number of words to convey the point, with the glossary definition going into more detail.
saber1
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 9:07:43 AM

This piece was designed about 14 months ago but received a few tweaks for this week's contest. Thanks to all who gave input. I think Legendary Ace is reasonably worded now and includes glossary details.

Baron Fel, Legendary Ace
pegolego
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 10:38:28 AM

saber1 wrote:
pegolego wrote:
saber1 wrote:

Thanks pegolego. It is a tough one. Your first wording is not far from one of my earlier versions. With a tweak this might work...

Legendary Ace (Whenever this character defeats an enemy of equal or larger base size, for the rest of the skirmish it scores a critical hit on a natural attack roll of one less than currently required (this bonus stacks with itself))

That is probably the least number of words to convey the point, with the glossary definition going into more detail.

I like that one! I agree, it should be enough to clearly get enough for people to understand, and then have the glossary to fully clarify it.
saber1
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 11:02:49 AM

pegolego, are you joining the competition this week?
saber1
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 11:31:43 AM

Oops. I typed up my reviews and forgot to post them before heading off to work. I'll submit when I return home.
Lord_Ball
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 12:08:28 PM

Deathwielded, Ace Pilot of the 181st 9
While with Governor Tarkin or Lord Vader you can make use of GMA, it doesn't seem necessary over regular mobile. Everything else looks good though maybe just -1 on rapport.

General_Grievous, Empire of the Hand Commander 9
I like what you have here overall, he creates an interesting dynamic as I believe Willing to serve will undermine him from gaining the Extra Attack from tarkin.

saber1, Legendary Ace 8.75
Camaraderie granting Wingman just seems off I think I'd like it better if he just had it instead. I like the idea behind Legendary Ace just overall not a fan of the base size qualifier - would have preferred something with less potential to be so common.

vote: tough one, but I'll give it to General_Grievous
Deathwielded
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 1:40:02 PM

saber1's Baron Fel, Legendary Ace. 9
I like TIE Swarm +3 and I saw you had the same idea with GMA.Wink I still really like Wingman. (mind if I suggest it to the V-set team?)

General_Grievous' Baron Fel, Empire of the Hand Commander 8.75
Imperial Conscription might be too good for Daala squads. Otherwise I like this piece and think without Imperial Conscription you could drop the price.

Deathwielded's Soontir Fel, Ace Pilot of the 181st
No comment, please.

Lord_Ball Baron Soontir Fel, Imperial Ace 10
I have really liked Ace Pilot since the last time I saw it. Dogfighter is really good especially since we are seeing more and more good Pilot pieces. I really really like this piece. The CE is perfect!
Lord_ball gets my vote this week!
saber1
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 2:42:35 PM

Baron Soontir Fel, Imperial Ace 9
Lord Ball
Stats and cost look reasonable. Dogfighter is cool though about as limited in use as Sith Hunter, perhaps more so. The deathshot for pilots CE is very cool. The real gem is Ace Pilot. It can make Uggernaughts and AT-STs scary with the other support the Imps have to offer. The Ugger can access Cunning and Opp for a +14Atk/30Dam twinned Furious Assault. Oh, and don’t forget the Evade and +1 Def. Throw in a Stormtrooper Commander for +10 Dam and/or Veers for Accurate and you have scary damage output. Who cares if they are still a bit fragile, they only need 1 Furious Assault to tilt the skirmish. Just ridiculous when combined with Arica, but is this too powerful?

Soontir Fel, Ace Pilot of the 181st 9
Deathwielded
Aggressive stats for 20 points, or aggressive price for the stats depending on where your eyes first land. Rapport makes 181st pilots dirt cheap. The use of Artillerist, while a bit awkward in name, nails it on function. Might be too cheap with that -2 Rapport, but massive swarms of disposable TIEs/pilots is what Imperial space domination is all about.

Baron Fel, Empire of the Hand Commander 9
General Grievous
The ubiquitous squad CE is “meh” in my book as I find the squad abilities are usually more trouble than they’re worth. Conscription is quite intriguing. Bravado and base 10 damage give him significant potential but are tricky to use well due to the Czerka’s fragility and range so I think the potential output/cost ratio is acceptable. Accurate is a nice addition to give him some adaptability.

Baron Fel, Legendary Ace
saber1
This is Fel as the deadliest pilot in the Empire and leader of the deadliest squadron in the Empire. Twin, GMA & CE combine for great synergy with Tarkin for a potent pilot shooter, though he is also a fun Dynamic Duo pairing with DVLotF. Camaraderie and the CE should give those non-unique 181st pilots much more viability. Legendary Ace was my interpretation of Fel becoming better with each kill. Every dogfight he survives, he gets better, as does his reputation. This was a tricky SA to word so many thanks to all who contributed.

VOTE: I like each piece for different reasons. LB's Ace Pilot is very cool, but the interactions with the pieces mentioned above give me pause. DW's offering is cheap and simple, offering an easy route to Imp pilot swarms. GG's entry is the best shooter of the 3. As evidenced by my ratings, this is a tough call. I think I'm going to go with Deathwielded this week. Cheap pilot fodder for the thematic win.
General_Grievous
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 6:37:58 PM

saber1's Baron Fel, Legendary Ace.
Perfect special Abilities (the best of all of us my opinion), a solid CE and generally a good feel.

General_Grievous' Baron Fel, Empire of the Hand Commander
I like going for the more obscure angles on characters, try for new concepts and ideas and sometimes it works out haha. I think it did here.

Deathwielded's Soontir Fel, Ace Pilot of the 181st
It's simple, solid, good CE and what he should always have been, great job!

Lord_Ball Baron Soontir Fel, Imperial Ace
Ace Pilot is super sweet to give to the huges. Though it's a bit wordy I love anything that boosts huges. Great job! And nice pilot hunter!

Man I think this is the most competitive week yet. I wish I could vote for all of the entries. But in the end I am going to have to give it to Lord_Ball. Solid round though