RegisterDonateLogin

Provides a +4 bonus to Attack rolls.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

ATTN: FFG Imperial Assault miniatures are Exact scale to SWM Options
atraangelis
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2014 6:22:49 AM
Groups: Member

Just saw an un boxing size comp for the miniatures in Imperial Assault. The scale is exact , even down to the Round Base. Check this link out over on Board Game Geek. Especially the Twi-Lek Jedi Pose.. Frigging Outstanding. ALso the Map will provide a MODULAR Star Wars battlefield environment. NEW life for SWM.ThumbsUp ThumpUp

IMperial Assault Photo comparison Unboxing.
Lily_Wan
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2014 6:50:03 AM

Just did some research and the game comes with these minis:

Jyn Odan (Human Smuggler, Female)
Fenn Signis (Human Rebel Commando, Male)
Gaarkahn (Wookiee)
Gideon Argus (Human Rebel Commander, Male)
Diala Passil (Twi'lek Jedi)
Mak Eshka'rey (Bothan SPy)
Darth Vader
Luke Skywalker
x3 Imperial Officer
x9 Stormtrooper
x2 Scout Trooper with E-Web
x4 Royal Guard
x3 Probe Droid
x1 AT-ST (smaller than WotC)
x4 Trandoshan Slaver
x2 Nexu
atraangelis
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2014 7:29:00 AM

YOur correct about the AT-ST, at a glance, IT looks like the Cab is the same size but the Legs are definitely shorter/Probably a packaging decision or molding as the parts are un-assembled. The legs for the AT-ST look also thicker.
leshippy
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2014 9:27:34 AM

Did you see they have the first wave posted as well.

Han
Chewy
Rebel trooperx3
IG88
Duros x2
Royal Gaurd
thereisnotry
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2014 10:35:11 AM

I can't wait to start playing this game!

I prefer painted minis so I expect that I'll use my WotC minis as proxies for the FFG ones, and it looks like most of them are right to scale with our WotC minis. And hey, anything that allows me to get more use out of my beloved SWM collection is worthwhile.

There will be some size differences, though: some of the FFG minis are 1-square skinnier than their WotC counterparts:
--AT-ST (3x2)
--Probe Droid (1x1)
--E-Web trooper (2x1)
For simplicity's sake I guess that I'll just have to use the FFG minis for those ones.

Imperial Assault has 2 game modes:

1. Campaign-mode, very similar to Descent 2E, for those of you who are familiar with it. With 30+ encounters, your heroes gain more experience and abilities and gear by successfully completing missions. You can team up with "the" heroes like Han and Luke occasionally, but your characters are different (there's a smuggler, a wookiee, a bothan, etc). I expect that this game will in many ways replace the SW:Campaign Edition that some of us have been playing. Maybe I'm jumping the gun with that assumption though. Regardless, my kids love Descent and they've often commented that "It would be SO cool if they made a Star Wars version of it!" Yes, my kids are gaming geniuses...it must be in the genes. lol j/k ;)

2. Skirmish-mode, which I am most excited for. Weeks and Dennis and I were speaking with the game's main designer at GenCon, and I've been completely nerdy about it ever since. It seems to have a very similar concept to SWM (build your squad, try to outmaneuver and/or eliminate your opponent's squad in order to score the point total), separate factions (currently Rebel, Imperial, and Mercenary), doors (but NO door locking!!).

But there are also some added features like variable maps which are built using the game's interlocking map pieces (rather than a maplist) and a Command Deck (single-use cards which allow you to do extra stuff on your turn). There are also variable Victory Conditions or Missions that you can work toward which seem to work like Gambit, only better; they give victory points toward the point total, but will require you to focus on them, rather than just camping in a hidden spot while waiting for your opponent to come to you.

Oh, and one other thing: with X-Wing FFG has already proven their dedication to supporting organized play of their games: Regionals, Store Championships, World Championship, event prizes, etc. Well, at GenCon they already stated that they've got the same thing planned for the skirmish mode of Imperial Assault! So we'll finally have an officially structured and supported tournament scene again! And if X-Wing is anything to go by, it'll leave WotC's attempt in the dust.

We don't know a lot of the Skirmish rules yet, but from what I have seen, it looks really exciting. When it comes out, you can bet that I'll be making a Vassal mod for the Skirmish game. :)

The game is due to release before January, but we don't have an exact release date yet. Expansions are already planned (and previewed) over at the FFG website. I'll have more grounds for my recommendation once I actually get my hands on a copy of the game, but for now I want to encourage all SWM players to check it out.

Imperial Assault Core Game listing
Imperial Assault Expansion Pack listings
thereisnotry
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2014 10:54:04 AM

Here is a thread with unboxing pictures, from a lucky guy who was able to pick up an advance copy in Europe the other day. Take a look, if you're interested...[waves hand] and you ARE interested....
THEGUNGAN
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 9:53:12 PM

With the costs of the figures coming out this week and the basic idea how one on one works. I cant wait for this game. I am kind of amazed not more minis players aren't more into this.
darthwhovian
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 11:46:01 PM

Same here! From what I have seen of the game, getting it for sure! Models look decent and some fodder for customizing! Also the campaign aspect sounds fun as well as the scenarios! hope they support this game for a while!!
kobayashimaru
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 5:32:22 AM

Sweet, and thanks for the confirming on many of the other pieces.
FFG doesnt disappoint, unlike the Star Wars Command figures... such potential there.

The ATST from FFG looks like an early variant, it'll be great next to the other ATSTs and some LGS people are talking about adapting it into ATXT or other variants.

Looks like there'll be decent tournament prize support from FFG too, and a couple of expansions.
While their RPG mightn't be up to WotC v 3 standards, the minis outshine virtually everything else out there.
thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 5:33:02 AM

darthwhovian wrote:
Same here! From what I have seen of the game, getting it for sure! Models look decent and some fodder for customizing! Also the campaign aspect sounds fun as well as the scenarios! hope they support this game for a while!!
Steve Horvath, who is the head of organized play (and senior VP of the company) said that they'll be using the same system that they use for X-Wing, and that they're planning to support it just as fully as X-Wing. So yeah, this'll be quite a bit different than WotC's version of "support" (ie, ignoring the community).

Actually, I've been amazed at how responsive FFG is to the members on their forums: several times we have made specific, clear (and reasonable) requests, and just a few days later FFG has followed up on those requests. They really do have a fabulous pattern of listening and responding to their customer base. Any of us who were around during the WotC years knows how significant this is for customer confidence and the health of the game.

Here is a link to the pdf rules documents.
fingersandteeth
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 10:10:21 AM

I tested it. It was pretty good. The Skirmish mode looks cool.

I'm all in (pre-ordered)
thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 2:31:48 PM

fingersandteeth wrote:
I tested it. It was pretty good. The Skirmish mode looks cool.

I'm all in (pre-ordered)
Me too!
THEGUNGAN
Posted: Wednesday, November 5, 2014 9:06:24 PM

Some of the imp Cards got previewed with the cards, Some command cards previewed and the rules. I am loving what I see so far.
Jonnyb815
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 2:31:47 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a45N70fgcvU

Review of the game.a few New minis spoiled I cant make out Ig88 full stats.