RegisterDonateLogin

Programmed for etiquette and protocol.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

CDO Banned Options
billiv15
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 5:06:14 AM
Groups: Member

As announced on the SHNN last night.

The CDO has been banned indefinitely from competitive play, effective immediately. This includes upcoming regionals and Gencon.
pegolego
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 5:48:08 AM

There isn't a standard TN Regional planned right now, but if there was, this would totally scrap my squad LOL. Man I loved that piece, but I agree it probably is for the best that it sits out, at least for now.

Not to derail the thread, but what does this leave as the top Seps squads? Smile
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 5:55:11 AM

pegolego wrote:
There isn't a standard TN Regional planned right now, but if there was, this would totally scrap my squad LOL. Man I loved that piece, but I agree it probably is for the best that it sits out, at least for now.

Not to derail the thread, but what does this leave as the top Seps squads? Smile

They are still great.

Chris Pulis' GenCon top 8 from las year is right up there. (Durge on Speeder, with Vset 6 Assaj and Vset 5 Cad Bane
instead of the droids)

They still out activate anything the easiest, have activation control, nasty beatstcks, energy shield, galloping attack, etc.
pegolego
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 6:03:29 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
pegolego wrote:

They are still great.

Chris Pulis' GenCon top 8 from las year is right up there. (Durge on Speeder, with Vset 6 Assaj and Vset 5 Cad Bane
instead of the droids)

They still out activate anything the easiest, have activation control, nasty beatstcks, energy shield, galloping attack, etc.

That sounds fun, 3 popular characters in one squad!

As far as Droids go, is there much that is tier-1 (besides the BX that obviously fit quite nicely into a lot!)?
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 6:09:19 AM

pegolego wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
pegolego wrote:

They are still great.

instead of the droids)

That sounds fun, 3 popular characters in one squad!

As far as Droids go, is there much that is tier-1 (besides the BX that obviously fit quite nicely into a lot!)?

Lancer got a lot of hate (rightfully so) but I think as a secondary threat there could be something there.

Still waiting for people to explore the magna guard stuff from Vset 8.

I also think Admiral Trench has possibilities.

Maybe the CDO gone will let others rise to the top
jak
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 6:09:27 AM

WTF!Scared
who's the genius that made the banned piece?

couldn't this have been solved with errata?
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 6:12:24 AM

jak wrote:
WTF!Scared

Errata is being discussed as a future possibility, but due to the timing (cards already sent to the printer for Vset 10) and lateness in the competitive season, ban made more sense.
billiv15
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 6:13:49 AM

jak wrote:
WTF!Scared

Hence why I said "indefinitely" not "permanently"
adamb0nd
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 6:36:17 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

What was broken? Would be nice if an official announcement like this came with an explanation and actual name of the piece for those of us who do not function on acronyms.
atmsalad
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 6:41:25 AM

adamb0nd wrote:
What was broken? Would be nice if an official announcement like this came with an explanation and actual name of the piece for those of us who do not function on acronyms.
Commando droid officer, because it warped the game and didn't fit the designers intent for the piece.
Echo24
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 6:48:42 AM

adamb0nd wrote:

There was a lot of talk on the SHNN last night, but it's a long episode and we probably should have prepared a written up press release explaining everything.

As pointed out, CDO is the Commando Droid Officer. It was too powerful, and most significantly it didn't actually function as intended.
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 12:46:51 PM

Come on everybody, get on the banned wagon!
Mando
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 1:00:55 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:

lol, love the saying, but I just am not sure how to react to the news that we have banned a piece. I have mixed feelings on it, but I understand the reasoning behind it. Preferably I'd prefer an errata over banning, but as was stated in SHNN this is best for the regionals and Gencon to ban it from play until it can be worked on with an errata. I'm glad that the guys on SHNN explained it all really well and that they took a serious look at the issues being caused by the CDO. It didn't suprise me at all that in one of the regionals, someone was running 6 of these droids without a single WotC commando droid to be seen.
thereisnotry
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 6:23:55 PM

Mando wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

lol, love the saying, but I just am not sure how to react to the news that we have banned a piece. I have mixed feelings on it, but I understand the reasoning behind it. Preferably I'd prefer an errata over banning, but as was stated in SHNN this is best for the regionals and Gencon to ban it from play until it can be worked on with an errata. I'm glad that the guys on SHNN explained it all really well and that they took a serious look at the issues being caused by the CDO. It didn't suprise me at all that in one of the regionals, someone was running 6 of these droids without a single WotC commando droid to be seen.
We are currently working on a (well-tested!!) errata. The intent from the start is that we'd fix the piece...the question is how best to do that, since there are a number of different solutions that we could settle on.

The reason we banned it right away is because we didn't want it continuing to mess up Regionals and GenCon. Just as an indication, 3 of the last 4 squads in Regional Finals (Chicago and PA) have used the CDO as a main part of the squad. We decided that enough is enough, and that now is the time to take action. Waiting for a workable errata solution would take too long...and we wouldn't be able to get the new card printed in time for GenCon (after re-design and playtesting) anyway.

I hope that takes out some of the 'sting' from the "B"-word. :)
AdmiralMotti89
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2015 6:44:06 AM

thereisnotry wrote:

This was all well and good until you started insulting people's mommas!
Sithborg
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2015 10:23:32 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

jak wrote:
WTF!Scared

Oops. My bad.
thereisnotry
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2015 10:26:49 AM

Sithborg wrote:
jak wrote:
WTF!Scared

Oops. My bad.
Mine too. I wasn't able to keep all 54 of the set's different designs clear in my head and so I followed some pieces more closely than others. The CDO was one of the "than others."
thereisnotry
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2015 10:28:10 AM

AdmiralMotti89 wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:

This was all well and good until you started insulting people's mommas!
lol!
Oops, I can't help myself sometimes...it just slips out! Blushing
Boris
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2015 6:59:13 AM

pegolego wrote:

Is there interest in having a TN regional? I live near Knoxville now and would be glad to help organize something if there is time to do so, or for the fall given the proximity to GenCon at this point.
General_Grievous
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2015 7:28:07 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
pegolego wrote:

They are still great.

instead of the droids)

There is still tons of great Sep squads, I won the Canada Regional with:

--Hunting With Grievous (winner of the Canadian Regional 2015)--
63 Grievous on Tsmeu-6 Wheel Bike
27 Lobot
30 BX Commando Droid Spotter x2
56 BX Commando Droid Sniper x4
12 Gha Nachkt
8 Battle Droid Officer
4 Mouse Droid x2

Preferred Reinforcements:
(Lobot) 20 Blizz

(200pts. 13 activations)