RegisterDonateLogin

Just like Aunt Beru used to make.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

The Future of the Game Options
DarkDracul
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2015 8:40:46 AM
Groups: Member

I like the idea of one or two "VIP (very important player) Customs" being included in our v-sets. However, it would need to be limited.
I imagine it working something like this...

If you donate over a certain dollar amount for a V-set, you may submit suggestions for 1 or 2 custom characters along with your donation.
You may include stats for your suggested characters or just submit the character's names. Then the designers for the next set would select one or two of those characters to include into their set. The "VIP" would need to understand that they will NOT be a part of the design process and they will NOT have a say in the final outcome of their suggested piece. The person donated money, it's not like they won the GenCon championship and should be given the same reward.

This way you won't have a VIP demanding that they have some ridiculous power piece being made their way.
However, our regular players would still get a chance to say... "yeah that character was my idea, that's my VIP character."
(Didn't realize that Etienne was logged into my computer, lol)
jen'ari
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2015 7:25:24 PM

AceAce wrote:
One thing that would help and should be done is to allow the top 25 (at least) people that have donated to VSET printing (if a tally can be examined) design 1 piece ASAP. This will: (1) reinvigorate the community, and (2) show that the communities (and not just a small select group) input is desired. I have donated for every VSET, played since the beginning (RS), applied to design, led the PT team for 3 sets, and still not been asked to design a single piece.

Obviously the pieces would need to be PT vigorously and fleshed out, but this would serve to include a LOT of people that have kept up with the game and never been inside the VIP room. The idea to allow people who donate faithfully to design a piece was Randy Barker's (runs Mini Madness at GenCon)...a very good idea indeed.

Honestly, I mentioned my credentials to simply illustrate for people that do not know me that I am not just some malcontent who simply wants to "stir the pot." I love the game and play whenever possible including Regionals and GenCon.

This idea rocks!
I like what it would do for those people that love that game, want to contribute more than just money. I too, would like to see it limited somehow.

A process like this could work.

1) gets to name the piece (when I design for Legacy I LOVE naming the pieces)
2) gets to discuss what portrayal of the piece is going to be represented.
3) gets to discuss cost and look of the piece by specifying a few things.

for instance:
Jacen Solo, Sith Apprentice
I want this piece to represent Jacen when he was being taught by Lumiya and before he fully turned to the dark side. I would love for him to be New Republic with Affinity and Camaraderie for Lumiya.
i do not want him to have Sith Battle Manipulation and I want him to cost in the mid 30's

i think this gives the designers a lot of room to work with but gives the "VIP" people a lot of say
sharron
Posted: Thursday, July 2, 2015 6:36:28 PM

kezzamachine wrote:
jen'ari wrote:
One thing I have learned in my time as a teacher/coach is that people are going to do what is comfortable or what they have gotten away with before. The natural man, if you will.

I think that the design community / team has been fighting that natural man in a lot of ways, better PT plan, balance team, recruiting more people to get involved, etc. The only thing that has not really changed is the design process.

I think it is time to relook at the design process. I think the first thing to do is come up with a mission plan for designing that everyone can see and reference.

Than discuss the way designers are recruited, the way they form a set list, find a way to create purpose for a set, Think about ways pt'ers can overrule designers as a contingency plan (batman had one for each of the Justice League you know).

it is folly to go against history and the natural man.

There are some interesting points in here and I understand some of what you are saying in that I am a teacher and coach too. One thing that I have seen in my capacity as such is also the willingness of the people we are working with to acknowledge mistakes, learn from them and move on to produce better. Some one has said previously here that this team which is in part responsible is less likely to reproduce mistakes of the past due to the knowledge of what came from it, and I think that is an encouraging thought.

On a personal note, Set 6 produced Luke Skywalker Hero of Endor which is 1) my favourite piece in the game and 2) the reason I play SWM.

I think there's some great pieces in set 6! Cin Drallig?? Talon?? I can appreciate.
atmsalad
Posted: Friday, July 3, 2015 9:26:10 AM

sharron wrote:

I think there's some great pieces in set 6! Cin Drallig?? Talon?? I can appreciate.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day... However I do agree with you, there are some great piece from set 6. Although Cin Drallig was Trevor's Gencon Champs piece and Talon has been considered to be one of the reasons Jedi have not been playable. Luke HoE is a brilliantly designed piece, Vestara Kai's flavor is so good and the Mando Sargeant provided a much needed attack boost to mandalorian peons.

However, for every good piece in set 6 there is another one that went over board. More pieces have been errated from this set than any other. As I recall, the whole point of the slaver was to launch geonosion drones at your opponent... Not sure we needed that in the game. The biggest issue with this set? Trying to make every piece tier 1 and trump the others that came before it.

I am sure it is a humbling expirience not seeing pieces you designed show up at the top tables, but for the sake of the game, that needs to be the majority of pieces in the set. Pieces either created for flavor or for scenarios and what not. It would seam that set 10 has done it right. There maybe 8 pieces that will impact Competetive play. Not half the set...

Your pride and vision for flavor shouldn't override what is good for the game, if you don't play it anymore I can see why you wouldn't know what that is though. I hope they have learned from their mistakes and realized that having some "ho hum" pieces is perfectly fine... It is better than ruining the game. In the end, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and again.
Lou
Posted: Friday, July 3, 2015 7:23:49 PM

On a personal note, Set 6 produced Luke Skywalker Hero of Endor which is 1) my favourite piece in the game

Thanks Luke was my design.
urbanjedi
Posted: Friday, July 3, 2015 7:42:00 PM

atmsalad wrote:
sharron wrote:

Even a broken clock is right twice a day... However I do agree with you, there are some great piece from set 6. Although Cin Drallig was Trevor's Gencon Champs piece and Talon has been considered to be one of the reasons Jedi have not been playable. Luke HoE is a brilliantly designed piece, Vestara Kai's flavor is so good and the Mando Sargeant provided a much needed attack boost to mandalorian peons.

However, for every good piece in set 6 there is another one that went over board. More pieces have been errated from this set than any other. As I recall, the whole point of the slaver was to launch geonosion drones at your opponent... Not sure we needed that in the game. The biggest issue with this set? Trying to make every piece tier 1 and trump the others that came before it.

I am sure it is a humbling expirience not seeing pieces you designed show up at the top tables, but for the sake of the game, that needs to be the majority of pieces in the set. Pieces either created for flavor or for scenarios and what not. It would seam that set 10 has done it right. There maybe 8 pieces that will impact Competetive play. Not half the set...

Your pride and vision for flavor shouldn't override what is good for the game, if you don't play it anymore I can see why you wouldn't know what that is though. I hope they have learned from their mistakes and realized that having some "ho hum" pieces is perfectly fine... It is better than ruining the game. In the end, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and again.

Actually the issue is that if we are creating pieces that don't see table time, then why create the piece in the first place? It can be a very fine line to create a piece that is useful in some aspect (whether a reinforcement, reserve, mainline attacker, secondary attacker, tech, etc) but not uber powerful or too useful.

Bill (and others) used to talk about this all the time in the first few sets, that since we now run things, there is no reason to create the nikto soldiers and klat enforcers of the world that went into the bin before they even came out. The whole idea was to know where the top power level where WOTC left us (Kybuck, Lancer, Han Cannon, Thrawn, etc) and add some options and fill out lots of the other factions and add fill out the rest of the sets with tier 2 stuff.

TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2015 7:41:13 AM

urbanjedi wrote:

Actually the issue is that if we are creating pieces that don't see table time, then why create the piece in the first place?

I've heard this spouted before. It's a weak argument, mostly because it's too vague and subjective to really know what it means.

Table time at highly competitive tournaments? Mostly what we see play reports of fall in this category. Regionals, NZ tournies, GenCon, Vassal hootenannies, etc.

To top that off - there is so much net-decking in this game it's nuts. People play the same 12 squads (or slight variants) all the time. Even further than net-decking, sometimes someone literally builds the squad and hands it to another player to play. Lastly, some squads build themselves. Boba-Mira double swap is so painfully obvious that it was built independently by many players around the world shortly after vset 9 was released. Credit to NZ for being the first to do well in a high profile tournament, but we were well aware of the squad in America before that.

Anyway - the point here is that really makes a small sample of "what pieces see table time". Believe it or not people play that don't post on the boards. People run scenarios. People we know play casual games and events. There need to be lots of options. Designing stats is like adding tools to a toolbox. Some are very specialized and rarely used (but still useful in very specific situations), while others have broad application.

That aside - it's not a viable design strategy to try and push everything into top tier playability. We've seen what happens with that. First off, aiming for an exact power level is hard. The power 10 pieces need extreme focus and lots of playtesting. Try creating too many in a set and we get an "oops" power 11 or 12. Even if they all remain power 10s, too many in a set creates compounded power creep.

urbanjedi wrote:

since we now run things, there is no reason to create the nikto soldiers and klat enforcers of the world that went into the bin before they even came out.

Agreed - but nobody is doing this. These are power level 1 pieces. Unfortunately, some people think if you create a power level 6 piece - it will never get played. This is simply not true. Maybe any certain player won't ever play that piece, but often someone will. As said before, if nothing else, in a casual/themed/fun game. Which is perfectly valid and these pieces need to still be made.

Also - sometimes a true power of a piece lies dormant for years. Creative squad building can come up with combos missed by the majority. Sometimes a piece thought to be tier 2 or lower can suddenly show up in a solidly tier 1 squad. Like I said - tools in a toolbox.

urbanjedi wrote:

The whole idea was to know where the top power level where WOTC left us (Kybuck, Lancer, Han Cannon, Thrawn, etc) and add some options and fill out lots of the other factions and add fill out the rest of the sets with tier 2 stuff.

Agreed here.
But adding most of the set as top tier options is not the same as adding SOME options to tier one. Tier 2 (or 1.5 or however you define it) can easily become tier 1. All it takes is a missed synergy or a future synergy. I would argue that the bulk of the set should aim at tier 1.5 or tier 2. A few meta changing tier 1's in a set at max, and the rest themed/fun pieces.

Here's a general power level guide:

(updated with better definitions)
1 - Useless. In any squad, there is a better option to do the same thing. waste of plastic, paper, brain cells.
2 - Unplayable. While not strictly replaced by another piece, in any squad (even at a casual level) there is a better use for the points.
3 - Casual only. Interesting enough that you might want to pull it out for a casual game, but it will make your squad worse - even in a casual game.
4 - Mediocre/below average - If these pieces are in a competitive squad, they are making the squad worse.
5 - Average - Still almost always a better piece to go to, but in the perfect scenario it could be the right call
6 - Situationally good. You might see this piece in a competitive game, but it's either a reinforcements-only option or it really only fits into one specific build.
7 - Barely Competitive. These pieces are not out of place in a Tier 1 squad, but they are not pieces you would build around. Probably need synergy to work well.
8 - Decently competitive - can be found in tier 1 squads, but doesn't necessarily define the squad type
9 - Solidly competitive - can be the key that makes several squads tier 1
10 -Very strong, Undoubtedly competitive. These are pieces so strong that you build squads around them
11 - Stupid. Power piece. Pieces that get complaints about being broken. Strong tech pieces that show up in squad after squad after squad.

We as designers need to be conscious of spreading the power level out in each set.

Here's what we did on vsets 7 and 10 (I want to say they are using this system on set 11 as well, but don't quote me.) I believe they did something similar to this on sets 3 and 5 as well.

For a 54 piece set

Power 10 = 5 pieces (max)
Power 9 = 8 pieces
Power 8 = 14 pieces
Power 7 = 14 pieces
Power 6 = 8 pieces
Power 5 = 5 pieces
Power 1-4 = 0 pieces

Now hitting the mark exactly isn't a perfect science. But after we had the set list - we went through and ranked them all. This is harder than it sounds, and it is really beneficial to the process.

As the process goes, there does need to be some wiggle room. You start to realize as the set develops that a piece slated for a 7 is looking more like a 9, and needs to be, based on how the meta from last set is panning out (which is happening simultaneously as you are designing the next set). Or you realize that synergies between figures of your own set may be too strong, so that 8 you were going to make needs to be pulled back to a six. This is all fine. It's not hard and fast restrictions (even if you could accurately pinpoint the power level each time, which you can't always). The important thing here is you have a plan, and everyone on the team knows what to initially aim at. This helps prevent the set from being too top-loaded with high end pieces, and helps catch "oops" before they happen.

Many designers are on board with this system (or something similar). I even had one designer tell me, "Why on earth would a design team not use a system like this? It's so intuitive that it's inconceivable a designer would be against it." Some were skeptical at first but agreed in the end it was a very helpful tool. Some have never used this system. Some are willfully resistant to it. Unfortunately the latter mentality has caused some of the problems that we are still dealing with.

So to wrap it all up, we need to have a wide variety of power levels. No need for power level 1-4 anymore, but we need to be cognizant not to make only 9s and 10s (and when this is done, inevitably 11s pop up)

5s and 6s are necessary. 7s and 8s are the meat and potatoes of our game. At this point in our game, it actually takes MORE creativity to make a 7 or an 8. Anyone can make a 10 (or 11). Making broken pieces is not hard. Making balanced ones can be very hard. Designers should be excited at the challenge of making 7s and 8s. 5s and 6s are just plain fun to design. No need to worry about an oops here! 9s and 10s need to be very thought out, conscious, intentional designs that are playtested thoroughly.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2015 9:38:36 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:

1 - waste of plastic, paper, brain cells.
2 - unplayable, but not completely useless
3 - only playable if you're playing casual/draft type games
4 - mediocre/below average
5 - average
6 - situationally good
7 - can find it's way into a tier 1 squad with certain synergies
8 - can be found in multiple tier 1 squads, but doesn't necessarily define the squad type
9 - can be the key that makes several squads tier 1
10 - faction defining piece
11 - stupid

We as designers need to be conscious of spreading the power level out in each set.

Here's what we did on vsets 7 and 10 (I want to say they are using this system on set 11 as well, but don't quote me.) I believe they did something similar to this on sets 3 and 5 as well.

For a 54 piece set

Power 9 = 8 pieces
Power 8 = 14 pieces
Power 7 = 14 pieces
Power 6 = 8 pieces
Power 5 = 5 pieces
Power 1-4 = 0 pieces

Now hitting the mark exactly isn't a perfect science. But after we had the set list - we went through and ranked them all. This is harder than it sounds, and it is really beneficial to the process.

while i like the structure of this. i do not agree with the numbers. 5 faction defining pieces at this stage of the game is....... not needed. there are already faction defining pieces that have pushed the meta to where it is now, 5 more every single set seems like to much, especially in factions that have multiple tier 1 squads to begin with, looking at you republic/seps. this breakdown looks perfect for a game that cycles stuff out every couple of sets like magic the gathering, but for a game where pieces are almost never banned or changed, this looks like to much. to break it down in your set-up there are 27 pieces that are meant to be found in multiple tier 1 squads, and including synergies that number jumps to 41 out of 54 that can be tier 1, that is exactly the kind of thing that leads to the oops you are trying to prevent.
jak
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2015 9:51:45 AM

IMHO- the fear of creating a "broken"(lvl 11) piece has be come so great, that we are ending up with a lot of Meh meh
pieces.
I've seen set 10 & 11.
I watch pieces go from wow that's cool, to WTF, after designers slowly neuter the piece bit by bit, until it's something
I don't want to play.Sad
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2015 11:57:50 AM

jak wrote:
IMHO- the fear of creating a "broken"(lvl 11) piece has be come so great, that we are ending up with a lot of Meh meh
pieces.
I've seen set 10 & 11.
I watch pieces go from wow that's cool, to WTF, after designers slowly neuter the piece bit by bit, until it's something
I don't want to play.Sad

that may be true, but its healthier for the competitive game at this point, 10 sets in, it is going to be hard to keep the WOW factor alive when so many power pieces exist to begin with.
gholli69
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2015 2:46:35 PM

Deaths_Baine wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

5 - average
6 - situationally good
8 - can be found in multiple tier 1 squads, but doesn't necessarily define the squad type
11 - stupid

For a 54 piece set

Power 9 = 8 pieces
Power 8 = 14 pieces
Power 7 = 14 pieces
Power 6 = 8 pieces
Power 5 = 5 pieces
Power 1-4 = 0 pieces

while i like the structure of this. i do not agree with the numbers. 5 faction defining pieces at this stage of the game is....... not needed. there are already faction defining pieces that have pushed the meta to where it is now, 5 more every single set seems like to much, especially in factions that have multiple tier 1 squads to begin with, looking at you republic/seps. this breakdown looks perfect for a game that cycles stuff out every couple of sets like magic the gathering, but for a game where pieces are almost never banned or changed, this looks like to much. to break it down in your set-up there are 27 pieces that are meant to be found in multiple tier 1 squads, and including synergies that number jumps to 41 out of 54 that can be tier 1, that is exactly the kind of thing that leads to the oops you are trying to prevent.

I don't know, 5 power level 10 pieces a set doesn't seem all that bad, that is only 1 new piece for half of the factions in the game. If the power 10 pieces in the set are given to the weaker factions I don't neccesarily think boosting the bottom half of the faction heirarchy for the game is terrible, and it's not like power 10 pieces are just going to stop being designed as most people like seeing the big new pieces when the set releases. That being said, a bigger pool of level 5-6 pieces and a slightly smaller pool of level 8-9 pieces might not be a bad thing to help prevent some of the powercreep that has found it's way into the game.
gholli69
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2015 2:50:00 PM

maybe something more like this:

Power 10 = 5 pieces
power 9 = 6 pieces
power 8 = 12 pieces
power 7 = 14 pieces
power 6 = 10 pieces
power 5 = 7 pieces

Deaths_Baine
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2015 3:57:14 PM

gholli69 wrote:
Deaths_Baine wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

5 - average
6 - situationally good
11 - stupid

For a 54 piece set

Power 9 = 8 pieces
Power 8 = 14 pieces
Power 7 = 14 pieces
Power 6 = 8 pieces
Power 5 = 5 pieces
Power 1-4 = 0 pieces

I don't know, 5 power level 10 pieces a set doesn't seem all that bad, that is only 1 new piece for half of the factions in the game. If the power 10 pieces in the set are given to the weaker factions I don't neccesarily think boosting the bottom half of the faction heirarchy for the game is terrible, and it's not like power 10 pieces are just going to stop being designed as most people like seeing the big new pieces when the set releases. That being said, a bigger pool of level 5-6 pieces and a slightly smaller pool of level 8-9 pieces might not be a bad thing to help prevent some of the powercreep that has found it's way into the game.

faction defining and powerful are to vastly different things. i am fine with around 16-20 powerful pieces that can see play in multiple tier 1 squads, but 5 faction DEFINING pieces is a little much especially with all the power creep that has occurred already in the vsets.

faction defining in my eyes would be like pieces competing with thrawn, talon karde (fringe obviously), etc.

Edit, maybe if tim could show what he would consider a 7,8,9,10 would help clear this up for me.
Jonnyb815
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2015 7:43:15 PM

jak wrote:
pieces.
I've seen set 10 & 11.
I don't want to play.Sad

I totally agree and its come to the point where you can't build with stuff because its so watered down. I am sorry but the worry about broken figures is so great that figures get nuked to make sure its safe.

This has really hurt the creative building process. This is why I think going to less figure sets is the way to go since you can focus on stuff a lot better. I would much rather see three sets a year at 25 figures than two at 80.

I really have a hard time trying to build a squad anymore that is different even with all the figures. I have kind of just gave up on that.

As far as set 6 it might be over the top but its a lot of fun to build with and its one of the sets that is keeping me around.
I don't disagree that the power level was over the top but it is a fun set.

I disagree with this level crap just build a figure how you think they should be and it should all work itself out in testing and just eye balling stuff.

The best thing a artist or designer can do is wake away from the piece and come back to it a few days or weeks later. You will be amazed and what you figure out. Its the best way to balance things out.

JUST WALK AWAY AND COME BACK LATER.
DarkDracul
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2015 1:20:09 AM

The designers of V-set 6 were requested by a majority of the community to achieve several monumental tasks.
Create; playable trooper squads, usable vehicles, alternatives to Thrawn and Bastila squads, and a new Jar Jar... (seriously!) It was a huge task for any set of designers to accomplish AND do as Jason said,
UrbanJedi wrote:
The whole idea was to know where the top power level where WOTC left us (Kybuck, Lancer, Han Cannon, Thrawn, etc) and add some options and fill out lots of the other factions and add fill out the rest of the sets with tier 2 stuff.
V-set 6 was highly successful in it's goals but failed to keep to the power level of where WOTC left us. We now have a new power level. However, at that time everyone was begging for V-sets to do exactly that. The result has taught us much about our V-sets and the amount of; community input, number of power level pieces, adequate playtests, playtesters voices being heard, need to be in each set.

I was among the minority NOT excited for V-Set 6, primarily because I play Jedi and Sith dudes and I hate friken Jar Jar (thanks to AceAce for constantly beating me with his stupid Jar Jar squads.) So I have to agree with Jonny that sometimes designers just need to be creative and make the good stuff. We could argue about how many of power level pieces per set till the cows come home. However, Tim's guide is very beneficial for design teams and playtesters to be on the same page as to where the power level of certain pieces are and where they were intended to be.

I was heavily involved in play-testing V-set 10 with Jason (and Weeks in his Ani/Obi piece). Both of them have a firm grasp on the game and are great designers. I don't even need to mention Daniel because he is just that good. Sure they each have their own unique viewpoints, but they always listen to all of the playtests being submitted by the community and PT committee. And were talkng a PT committee that includes some of the best squad builders and synergy abusers the game has ever seen. Guys like Dr Daman, Atmsalad, Jak.. Randy Barker, somebody's mom, ect. you get the idea...

This discussion has highlighted many of the lessons we have or could still learn since V-set 6.
With so much anticipation and community support I feel we can trust the design team for v-set 12 to get things right. I'm so looking forward to seeing Episode VII and then getting stat cards for the new movie characters. It's going to be so blasted cool.
General_Grievous
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2015 7:56:07 AM

jen'ari wrote:
AceAce wrote:
One thing that would help and should be done is to allow the top 25 (at least) people that have donated to VSET printing (if a tally can be examined) design 1 piece ASAP. This will: (1) reinvigorate the community, and (2) show that the communities (and not just a small select group) input is desired. I have donated for every VSET, played since the beginning (RS), applied to design, led the PT team for 3 sets, and still not been asked to design a single piece.

Obviously the pieces would need to be PT vigorously and fleshed out, but this would serve to include a LOT of people that have kept up with the game and never been inside the VIP room. The idea to allow people who donate faithfully to design a piece was Randy Barker's (runs Mini Madness at GenCon)...a very good idea indeed.

Honestly, I mentioned my credentials to simply illustrate for people that do not know me that I am not just some malcontent who simply wants to "stir the pot." I love the game and play whenever possible including Regionals and GenCon.

This idea rocks!
I like what it would do for those people that love that game, want to contribute more than just money. I too, would like to see it limited somehow.

A process like this could work.

1) gets to name the piece (when I design for Legacy I LOVE naming the pieces)
2) gets to discuss what portrayal of the piece is going to be represented.
3) gets to discuss cost and look of the piece by specifying a few things.

for instance:
Jacen Solo, Sith Apprentice
I want this piece to represent Jacen when he was being taught by Lumiya and before he fully turned to the dark side. I would love for him to be New Republic with Affinity and Camaraderie for Lumiya.
i do not want him to have Sith Battle Manipulation and I want him to cost in the mid 30's

i think this gives the designers a lot of room to work with but gives the "VIP" people a lot of say

Huge +1
atmsalad
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2015 12:37:31 PM

urbanjedi wrote:
Actually the issue is that if we are creating pieces that don't see table time, then why create the piece in the first place? It can be a very fine line to create a piece that is useful in some aspect (whether a reinforcement, reserve, mainline attacker, secondary attacker, tech, etc) but not uber powerful or too useful.

Bill (and others) used to talk about this all the time in the first few sets, that since we now run things, there is no reason to create the nikto soldiers and klat enforcers of the world that went into the bin before they even came out.

Never have we ever created pieces like the nikto soldier and I am not suggesting that we use that piece as a guide line for future designs. What I am saying is not every piece needs to make an impact on tier 1 and 1.5 squads. Not even half the set needs to do that... Pieces can see plenty of play in tier 2 squads, lobot reinforcements, theme squads, scenarios etc.

I would think that would be exciting to create pieces that only really work well with tier 2 synergies. Gloom walkers, army of light, black sun, death watch and so on. Those squads are really fun to play! Death watch squads are my personal favorite and I even played it at a regional last year. You can create fun pieces that aren't top tier, it isn't go big or go home...

Quote:

Well I think it is safe to say we have exceeded that power level and left it in the past, kybuck excluded of course. I could list pieces and squads, but there is no point. This is not some secret hidden in a back room.
Jonnyb815
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2015 2:19:16 PM

DarkDracul wrote:
The designers of V-set 6 were requested by a majority of the community to achieve several monumental tasks.
Create; playable trooper squads, usable vehicles, alternatives to Thrawn and Bastila squads, and a new Jar Jar... (seriously!) It was a huge task for any set of designers to accomplish AND do as Jason said,
UrbanJedi wrote:
V-set 6 was highly successful in it's goals but failed to keep to the power level of where WOTC left us. We now have a new power level. However, at that time everyone was begging for V-sets to do exactly that. The result has taught us much about our V-sets and the amount of; community input, number of power level pieces, adequate playtests, playtesters voices being heard, need to be in each set.

I was among the minority NOT excited for V-Set 6, primarily because I play Jedi and Sith dudes and I hate friken Jar Jar (thanks to AceAce for constantly beating me with his stupid Jar Jar squads.) So I have to agree with Jonny that sometimes designers just need to be creative and make the good stuff. We could argue about how many of power level pieces per set till the cows come home. However, Tim's guide is very beneficial for design teams and playtesters to be on the same page as to where the power level of certain pieces are and where they were intended to be.

I was heavily involved in play-testing V-set 10 with Jason (and Weeks in his Ani/Obi piece). Both of them have a firm grasp on the game and are great designers. I don't even need to mention Daniel because he is just that good. Sure they each have their own unique viewpoints, but they always listen to all of the playtests being submitted by the community and PT committee. And were talkng a PT committee that includes some of the best squad builders and synergy abusers the game has ever seen. Guys like Dr Daman, Atmsalad, Jak.. Randy Barker, somebody's mom, ect. you get the idea...

This discussion has highlighted many of the lessons we have or could still learn since V-set 6.
With so much anticipation and community support I feel we can trust the design team for v-set 12 to get things right. I'm so looking forward to seeing Episode VII and then getting stat cards for the new movie characters. It's going to be so blasted cool.

HMMMMMMM
Sithborg
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2015 2:27:33 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

TimmerB123 wrote:

5 - average
6 - situationally good
11 - stupid

Which is nice for how Tim designs. But not me. Or Dennis. Or any other designer. That casual pieces are so down low is a sign of your priorities. You can't force such a view on any other designer. I specifically design Sev'rance Taan with a CE that encourages her use in higher point games, rather than the standard. Not because I'm a fan of the format, but by being aware that not everyone plays the same way. And I personally view how Tim sees that list is far, far too narrow of a design space.

And saying "It's okay, it's a power 10 piece" is a very, very dangerous way to design.

But then again, there is a good reason why I'm not designing anymore.
atmsalad
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2015 4:56:11 PM

Sithborg wrote:
Which is nice for how Tim designs. But not me. Or Dennis. Or any other designer. That casual pieces are so down low is a sign of your priorities. You can't force such a view on any other designer. I specifically design Sev'rance Taan with a CE that encourages her use in higher point games, rather than the standard. Not because I'm a fan of the format, but by being aware that not everyone plays the same way. And I personally view how Tim sees that list is far, far too narrow of a design space.

Forcing such a view?...Confused I think you misunderstand the scale and its significance. It seams you would view sev'rance taan as a 3 on the scale? When in reality she is probably more of a 5 or even a 6. If the nikto soldier is a 1 then she certainly isn't just a 3. The scale is not only taking into account the v-sets power level, but the crap-tastic pieces WOTC left us with.ThumbDown

What Tim is suggesting is keeping track of how many competitive power pieces are being created in each set. This would help to decrease the power creep and keep the sets full of both flavorful pieces and competitive pieces. It is perfectly fine to design for other formats in mind besides standard 200 and that needs to happen, but you can't not keep the competitive 200 in mind when designing.

The pieces you are talking about designing do in fact fit into this process, they just are lower on the totem pole. I would argue that people don't just want to see pieces like "sev'rance taan", but that we "need" pieces like her in order for the game to continue and potentially grow. I have already expressed my love of tier 2 squads and there synergies. We have to keep these in the game as well as the tier 1 side.

Quote:
And saying "It's okay, it's a power 10 piece" is a very, very dangerous way to design.

Sweet! I am glad that we agree on that, but the problem is when you do not have a reference point then everyone gets a difference idea of what power 10 is. Tim's idea provides that reference point to come back to. I am really confused as to why that is a bad thing?Blink Because you didn't design that way?... that is ridiculous. If this would help to increase the quality of the v-sets then why not implement it?