RegisterDonateLogin

Has good relations with the Wookiees.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Rolling Mini of the Day (Urai Fen) Options
jak
Posted: Friday, October 9, 2015 5:51:07 AM
Groups: Member

loved this chick from the start. lowest cost for extra attack.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Friday, October 9, 2015 12:00:05 PM

TheHutts wrote:
This FlyingArrow build, however, manages to use her to create 240 damage Bespin Security Guards:

Props to FlyingArrow for using Bespins to such effect. However, thematically speaking this is the most random thing I have ever read on this thread XD
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, October 9, 2015 12:02:38 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

CorellianComedian wrote:
TheHutts wrote:
This FlyingArrow build, however, manages to use her to create 240 damage Bespin Security Guards:

Props to FlyingArrow for using Bespins to such effect. However, thematically speaking this is the most random thing I have ever read on this thread XD

Where exactly do you think she was exiled to?
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2015 4:07:13 PM

Squib Trader, from Scum and Villainy

Quote:
10 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 10
Defense: 13
Attack: 1
Damage: 10

Special Abilities
Communications Supplies (Replaces turn: Choose 1 adjacent ally to gain Relay Orders)
Explosive Supplies (Replaces turn: Choose 1 adjacent ally to gain Satchel Charge)

The Squib Trader obviously echoes the Rodian Trader from Galaxy at War - but while the Rodian gives out two relatively weak SAs, the Squib divests two key abilities with Relay Orders and Satchel Charge. Even then, it's laborious giving them out - the Squib replaces turn to hand out an ability to an adjacent ally, so it slows your entire squad down. In practice, the Squib is probably most useful when you're playing against a strafer or galloper; instead of having a whole bunch of Mouse Droids and Ugnaughts ready to get mown down, you can give Satchel Charge or Relay Orders to a couple of big pieces who Durge can't kill so easily.

The second placed squad at GenCon this year used the Squib to give door control to a robust, hard to kill piece like Barriss Offee.

--Dance of Death: UberTank (2nd place GenCon 2015)--
54 Darth Caedus, Sith Lord
49 Juggernaut
31 Barriss Offee, Rogue Jedi
30 Vergere
14 Exar Kun, Dark Force Spirit
11 Freedon Nadd, Dark Force Spirit
10 Squib Trader
(199pts. 7 activations)

He's not especially efficient, but the Squib Trader is definitely useful in some circumstances, 7/10.
fingersandteeth
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2015 7:53:12 AM

6 or 7 for the squib.

It looks better than it actually is. Often, 3 uggies are better than it for activations and door control.

It did work well in TJs squad this year but there are so few squads that can actually make use of the slow pace it takes to get your guys all kitted out.

When he fits, he works really well. The issue is he rarely does fit.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2015 8:21:40 AM

--Dance of Death: UberTank (2nd place GenCon 2015)--
54 Darth Caedus, Sith Lord
49 Juggernaut
31 Barriss Offee, Rogue Jedi
30 Vergere
14 Exar Kun, Dark Force Spirit
11 Freedon Nadd, Dark Force Spirit
10 Squib Trader

(199pts. 7 activations)

Credit to Mando for adding the Squib Trader to this squad. In the NZ Vassal tournament, I had trouble keeping my door control alive. Switching to the Squib solved that problem. It was a late realization that the best person to give Satchel Charge to is probably Barriss. She can run up and blow a door open. Then Caedus can use SBM after the door is open in the same phase. I kept thinking to use the Juggernaut or Caedus for survivable door control (don't get locked out), or Vergere for expendable door control (she can die after blowing door and I don't care). Barriss doesn't provide survivability or she isn't expendable, but the timing is much better to get off a good Mines attack in one phase.
Mando
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2015 8:41:53 AM

The squib trader is probably one of my favorite fringe reinforcements or straight up additions to any tank build i make. Giving SC to a tank really makes a huge difference when you don't have much room in the build for door control that you can safely carry across the map without it dying. It's much easier to get a lockout win against a tank squads with a R7 than it is with a tank squad that has a squib trader.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2015 11:31:00 AM

I was wavering between a 7 and an 8 for the Squib Trader - what do other people think?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2015 11:43:06 AM

I had to revisit the descriptions for the ratings, but 6 is "situationally good... fits into one specific build". "Tank" is too general to be considered one specific build. The Squib is certainly not something you build around, and it definitely needs synergy to work (in the form of a tank squad).
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2015 11:48:14 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:

I had to revisit the descriptions for the ratings, but 6 is "situationally good... fits into one specific build". "Tank" is too general to be considered one specific build. The Squib is certainly not something you build around, and it definitely needs synergy to work (in the form of a tank squad).

Cool - outvoted.

Right now, the average rating for a piece is 5.99499, which is pretty cool given the scale goes from 1 to 11.
gholli69
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2015 12:05:43 PM

One of my favorite just for fun squads uses the squib along with BHC palpatine and BHC Vader who costs ten less due to palpatine rapport and leaves just enough room for the squib who then gives sc to both as they charge up FP before starting the combat.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2015 3:14:53 PM

Reborn, from Jedi Academy

Quote:
9 points, Imperial
Hit Points: 30
Defense: 15
Attack: 7
Damage: 20

Special Abilities
Melee Attack (Can attack only adjacent enemies)

Force Powers
Force 1
Lightsaber Deflect (Force 1: When hit by a nonmelee attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)

By itself, the Reborn is a nothing piece; it's a 30 hit point melee piece with not much going for it, and you're probably always better off with three 3-point pieces. But the v-sets have at least padded out the Reborn sub-faction by introducing some support for it:
- The Elite Reborn has "The Empire Reborn (Each character in your squad named Reborn or Elite Reborn gets +10 Damage while it has an ally whose name contains Desann or Hethrir within 6 squares)"
- Desann gives it 2 extra force points (not sure what you're going to do with them, but.....)
- Lord Hethrir gives them Force Renewal, and can also make another follower with a force rating into a Reborn.

I've never tried any of the Reborn pieces, but I do suspect that you're better off building around the Elite Reborns - the vanilla Reborns don't really have enough staying power to used all the extra force points they can get, and at best they'll see play as synergistic filler in Elite Reborn squads. The v-sets have still improved them a lot though, 5/10.

Cassus fett
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2015 5:57:54 PM

Best thing the Reborn ever did was serve as the Proxy for the Sith Recruit
CorellianComedian
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2015 7:05:29 PM

Cassus fett wrote:
Best thing the Reborn ever did was serve as the Proxy for the Sith Recruit

And every single good Revan. How I wish there was a better proxy for him.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2015 7:06:52 PM

CorellianComedian wrote:
And every single good Revan. How I wish there was a better proxy for him.

I always use the Jensaarai Defender for Revan.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2015 7:32:42 PM

Clone Commander Wolffe, from Evasive Action

Quote:
26 points, Republic
Hit Points: 60
Defense: 18
Attack: 9

Special Abilities
Unique
Order 66
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Greater Mobile Attack (Can move both before and after attacking. This character can make extra attacks even if he moves this turn, but he must make them all before resuming movement.)
Clone Commander (After setup, if he has an ally whose name contains Plo Koon, this character gains Disciplined Leader)
Difficult Target +2 (+2 Defense against nonadjacent enemies)
Draw Fire (If an enemy targets an ally within 6 squares of this character, you may force that enemy to target this character instead if it can; save 11)
Embrace of Pain (+1 Attack and +1 Defense for every 10 points of damage currently on this character)
Jedi Bodyguard (If an adjacent ally with a Force rating would take damage from an attack, this character can take the damage instead)
Resilient (Immune to critical hits)

Commander Effect
Wolfpack trooper allies gain Jedi Bodyguard.

Clone Commander Wolffe adds a slightly different spin to thematic builds - he really needs to be played with his Wolfpack Troopers to be worthwhile, and he gets even stronger with a Plo Koon. Clone Commander is an excellent game mechanic that should be reused; it gives a commander Disciplined Leader with the appropriate Jedi. Wolffe is also noticeably light on hit points - while GMA, Resilient, Embrace of Pain, and Difficult Target +2 all help to keep him alive, the drop between 60 hit points and 70 is still a significant one.

Wolffe's CE gives Wolfpack Troopers Jedi Bodyguard; bodyguard is always a strong game mechanic, Wolfpack Troopers as bodyguards who can also shoot filler is worthwhile. It's easy to see them supporting big Jedi like GOWK or the new Anakin/Obi duo; they're possibly also interesting with Plo Koon Jedi Master where they can pick up death shots. I don't know if Draw Fire is such a strong mechanic on fragile pieces without evade, although it could be handy if they're buffed by GOWK and protecting a key piece like R2 Astromech. Wolffe is a nicely designed piece, and I really like the Clone Commander mechanic - maybe not top tier, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me to see Wolfpack Troopers supporting a Jedi squad, 7/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2015 1:29:26 PM

Yuuzhan Vong Warrior, from Universe

Quote:
8 points, Yuuhan Vong
Hit Points: 30
Defense: 13
Attack: 3
Damage: 10

Special Abilities
Force Immunity (Enemies cannot affect this character with Force powers, or spend Force points to reroll attacks against this character or to respond to this character's attacks and abilities)
Thud Bug (Replaces attacks: range 6; 10 damage, living target is considered activated this round; save 11 negates. Huge and larger characters ignore the nondamaging effect.)
Vonduun Crab Armor 16 (When this character takes damage, he can reduce the damage dealt by 10 with a save of 16)

The Yuuzhan Vong Warrior seems like the quintessential Vong scrub. As a straight attacker, he's very easily outclassed by the Domain Lah Warrior, who has Twin, Speed 8, and a higher attack for very little extra cost. But he does come into his own as an option for the Warrior Caste Subcommander, who gives him the unpreventable Blast Bug special ability. Often the Cloaked Praetorite Vong Warriors are preferred, but the cheaper Warrior is also a solid option with their extra hit points and Crab Armor 16, and they also have access to Stealth, like in this Weeks' buid:

Quote:
--Invasions are a blast!--
30 Nom Anor, Executor
30 Supreme Overlord Quorreal
19 Warrior Caste Subcommander
13 Todo 360
9 Praetorite Vong Scout
96 Yuuzhan Vong Warrior x12
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

Preferred Reinforcements:
(S. O. Quorreal) 20 Zonoma Sekot Scout x4

(200pts. 22 activations)

It feels like the YV Warrior swarm hasn't fully been explored in competitive play, but as the cheapest piece with access to the Subcommander's synergies, they're a solid option, 8/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2015 6:00:24 PM

Han Solo, Corellian Legend, from Warfare and Subterfuge

Quote:
45 points, New Republic
Hit Points: 90
Defense: 19
Attack: 12

Special Abilities
Unique
Triple Attack (On his turn, this character can make 2 extra attacks instead of moving)
Accurate Shot (Can attack an enemy with cover even if it's not the nearest enemy)
Camaraderie (An ally whose name contains Wedge gains Twin Attack and Opportunist)
Never Tell Me the Odds (Suppresses enemy special abilities that modify initiative)
Opportunist (+4 Attack and +10 Damage against an enemy who has activated this round)
Rival (Cannot be in a squad with any Galactic Alliance characters)
Synergy +4 (An ally whose name contains Wedge gets +4 Attack and +4 Defense while within 6 squares of this character)

A lot of the power shooters in the game are self-contained; Cad Bane, Dash RS, Boba AfH, Morrigan Corde all come with with Evade and either Greater Mobile Attack or Agile. Han Corellian Legend certainly belongs in the power shooter category - his 90 accurate damage at +16 is stronger than any of the above pieces, even at 45 points. But he also needs support to work well - without CEs he has no evade or greater mobile. He's obviously made to be paired with General Wedge Antilles - Wedge gives him Evade and access to GMA, while he gives Wedge a big damage bump, turning Wedge into a decent support shooter with twin and opportunist. In New Republic he's not eligible for many damage boosts; he can access another +4 attack from Chewbacca Galactic Hero and Jagged Fel, but most CE support is going to focus on increasing his survivability.

Like several other Han Solos, Corellian Legend also has Never Tell Me The Odds, an important meta game ability that negates key pieces like Thrawn and the Muun Tactics Broker. There's been a lot of fuss about how Corellian Legend outclasses the 50 point Han Galactic Hero from Legacy of the Force, but I still maintain that Galactic Hero is the better piece - even with a lower damage ceiling and attack, his Evade and GMA make him much more self-contained, and Disruptive is another key game ability. Han Corellian Legend did see plenty of play at Regionals this year, but failed to make too much of a splash - this UrbanShmi build made 5th place in Wisconsin.

Quote:
--Lobbin' a Legend--5th place, 2015 Wisconsin Regional--
45 Han Solo, Corellian Legend
32 Chewbacca, Galactic Hero
29 Ganner Rhysode
23 General Wedge Antilles
22 R2-D2 and C-3PO, Galactic Heroes
18 Twi'lek Black Sun Vigo
10 Jagged Fel
9 General Dodonna
3 Mouse Droid
9 Ugnaught Demolitionist x3
(200pts. 12 activations)

As a power shooter with Never Tell Me The Odds, Han Corellian Legend is a very good piece, but he needs plenty of support to function, and he's been ever so slightly overrated thus far, 9/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 3:38:08 PM

B3 Ultra Battle Droid, from Galaxy at War

Quote:
32 points, Separatist
Hit Points: 60
Defense: 17
Attack: 8

Special Abilities
Droid (Immune to critical hits; not subject to commander effects)
Triple Attack (On its turn, this character can make 2 extra attacks instead of moving)
Damage Reduction 10 (Whenever this character takes damage, reduce the damage dealt by 10. Attacks with lightsabers ignore this special ability.)
Density Projector (Ignores effects that force movement)
Flamethrower 20 (Replaces attacks: range 6; 20 damage to target and to each character adjacent to that target)
Missiles 30 (Replaces attacks: sight; 30 damage to target and to each character adjacent to that target; save 11)

Hey, it's a good WOTC droid that doesn't suffer in comparison with the IG-86 too much. The B3 is one of WOTC's more extreme non-unique designs - with triple and easy access to twin, they can easily turn into 120 damage shooters, while they also have Missiles and Flamethrower as offensive options. But at the same time, they have to deal with the disadvantages of a large base, and while Damage Reduction is a big help, their 60 hit points is still low for cost. But that damage potential is extremely enticing - they're the kind of piece that a new player to the game is likely to overrate - but even with their drawbacks they have some potential, especially when you can pawn them with Sidious and give them ranged defense with an adjacent Spotter droid. I don't know if this build is competitive - as Sly Moore is always a little dubious as a tournament piece - but it's certainly interesting:

Quote:
--Circle Jerk 2--
36 Darth Sidious
62 B3 Ultra Battle Droid x2
28 Sly Moore
20 General Whorm Loathsom
12 Gha Nachkt
10 San Hill
8 Battle Droid Officer
7 R5 Astromech Droid
7 R7 Astromech Droid
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2
4 Mouse Droid x2

Preferred Reserves:
(San Hill) 15 A4-Series Lab Droid
(San Hill) 5 Rocket Battle Droid

(200pts. 14 activations)

They're not quite as competitive as the IG-86, but the B3 Ultra is still a scary piece and has its own niche, 7/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2015 1:00:01 PM

Darth Krayt, from Legacy of the Force

Quote:
76 points, Sith
Hit Points: 130
Defense: 21
Attack: 14

Special Abilities
Unique
Pilot
Deadly Attack (Scores a critical hit on an attack roll of natural 19 or 20)
Triple Attack (On his turn, this character can make 2 extra attacks instead of moving)
Vonduun Crab Armor 6 (When this character takes damage, he can reduce the damage dealt by 10 with a save of 6)

Force Powers
Force 2
Force Renewal 1 (This character gets 1 Force point each time he activates)
Force Lightning 2 (Force 2, replaces attacks: range 6; 30 damage to target and 2 characters adjacent to that target)
Lightsaber Sweep (Force 1, replaces attacks: Can attack each adjacent enemy once)

Commander Effect
Followers within 6 squares gain Extra Attack.

RMOTD covered the Jedi Exile last week, and Darth Krayt is similar - a big melee piece with an Extra Attack CE. They're definitely similar - you get some extra durability and attacking prowess with Krayt, but the extra 28 points make him even harder to squeeze into a squad. The extra attack CE can be strong in some builds, but Krayt still suffers from the same problems as a lot of other big WOTC melee pieces, an inability to do damage on the move and a lack of ranged defense; Vonduun Crab Armor 6 is helpful, but he will still get ripped to pieces by a Tier 1 shooty squad.

There are some fun builds that utilise Krayt's Extra Attack CE - this Uggie Demo build turbocharges two Tier 1 GMA shooters with extra attack, cunning, speed 8, evade, and force renewal:

--Krayt's Come Back--
76 Darth Krayt
36 Atton "Jaq" Rand
28 Dash Rendar, Renegade Smuggler
18 Klatooinian Captain
16 Grand Admiral Rulf Yage
11 Darth Sidious Hologram
8 R7 Astromech Droid
3 Mouse Droid
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
(199pts. 9 activations)

There are some fun things you can do with Krayt, but fundamentally he's too slow and too expensive to see competitive play, 5/10.