RegisterDonateLogin

Occassionally maybe thinks you're all right...when you aren't acting like a scoundrel.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Anything bring Bothans to NR?? Options
donnyrides
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2016 7:11:07 AM
Groups: Member

Is there a piece that brings Bothans into the NR? I want to use Chief of State Mon Mothma in the NR but without bothans she won't be much fun in NR.
juice man
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2016 7:42:38 AM

She can bring Bothans in.
donnyrides
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2016 9:28:50 AM

I guess. up to 30 points of them anyway. I still contest that this ability doesn't allow here to bring in out of faction pieces.

If Dooku gets into republic with Sifo he can't with this wording:
Immediate Separatist Reserves 20 (If you roll exactly 5, 10, 15, or 20 for initiative, you can add up to 20 points of non-Unique Separatist characters to your squad, adjacent to this character, immediately before your first activation of the round)

But Mon Mothma can bring rebels into NR with this wording:
New Republic/Rebel Reinforcements 30 (During setup, after seeing your opponent's squad, you can add up to 30 points of non-Unique New Republic or Rebel characters to your squad)

So I am confusedConfused . I treat everything as faction specific unless stated otherwise as "regardless of faction". So if she is in a NR squad, my rules interpretation is that squad building rules are broken if she brings in Rebels. The only way I can wrap my head around it is if the timing possibly comes into play. Where Mon Mothma's is during setup and Dooku's is mid-game.
Cassus fett
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2016 9:37:06 AM

I'd venture to guess thats it timing. Dooku dropping super battle droids into the middle of your republic squad mid game is a little different than Mothma adding in some Bothans to your squad before the game starts
juice man
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2016 10:01:50 AM

From the FAQ's:

Q: Garm Bel Iblis's Reinforcements lists two factions. Is it limited to the faction he's currently in(because of Affinity), or can both be used?
A: Both may be used regardless of which faction the squad is.

Same form Mon Mothma.
donnyrides
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2016 10:12:42 AM

Confused My mind is weak..... I just can't understand this. I think I'd better just avoid these abilities in my squad building...
urbanjedi
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2016 10:14:11 AM

Reserves and Reinforcements work differently. I personally agree that they SHOULD work the same but unfortunately they don't.

WOTC made the rulings on both situations, so the rules parts are actually covered.

donnyrides
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2016 10:28:15 AM

Since the loyal remaining fans of the game make the rules now, would it be possible for somebody in charge of this site to reinforce this in the glossary. I'm sure the glossary putting this to bed would help more than just me.

the rules book printed by WotC says:
Reinforcements [#]: During setup, after seeing your opponent’s squad, you can add up to [#] points of the stated kinds of characters to
your squad. These characters don’t count toward the cost of your squad, and your opponent doesn’t have to defeat them to win the skirmish.
If you are scoring points for defeats, or in a tiebreaker, defeating these extra characters doesn’t score points

This doesn't help much.

Nor does this:
Reserves [#]: If this character is in your squad and you roll the exact stated number for initiative, you may immediately add up to [#]
points of the stated kinds of characters to your squad. These characters set up in the same area as your squad did, immediately before your
fi rst activation of the round. These characters don’t count toward the cost of your squad, and your opponent doesn’t have to defeat them to
win the skirmish. If initiative is rerolled due to a tie, you add these characters to your squad only if your fi nal, untied roll is the stated number

Clone wars rules book Can't find any other more recent WotC rules.
Cassus fett
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2016 10:47:19 AM

urbanjedi wrote:
Reserves and Reinforcements work differently. I personally agree that they SHOULD work the same but unfortunately they don't.

WOTC made the rulings on both situations, so the rules parts are actually covered.

I also agree that reinforcements and reserves should work the same. I truthfully see no real difference between them, other than the timing discrepancy. But if reinforcements can break the squad building rules, why can't reserves?
urbanjedi
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 3:55:17 PM

Because WOTC said so.
donnyrides
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 5:59:09 PM

Urbanjedi, that's where the problem is. Where is it that WotC said so? I can't find anything anywhere. I'm just taking people's word for it at this point. This is where my problem is.
juice man
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 6:35:39 PM

Click--> Rules Forum:

Click--> Rules Links:

Click--> Rulebook, Glossary, and FAQ for WOTC.

Final Wizards of the Coast Resources (left hand side of screen)<--- This is the final info for the game from WotC. The FAQ's is where most of the weird stuff comes from.
urbanjedi
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 7:00:11 PM

donnyrides wrote:
Urbanjedi, that's where the problem is. Where is it that WotC said so? I can't find anything anywhere. I'm just taking people's word for it at this point. This is where my problem is.

The Reinforcements ruling is directly from the WOTC FAQ.

The Reserves ruling is from the old WOTC forums, which unfortunately have been lost because WOTC took them down, however, in the bloomilk forums we have a link to the forum (although broken) and 2 of the rules people (Emporer Dragon and Swinefeld who is our community rules guy) both commenting about what the ruling said, so it is easy to confer what it said by their comments.
EmporerDragon
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 9:21:07 PM

It's weird when you look in the FAQ about reinforcements. In one answer it says that you must adhere to squadbuilding restrictions, then another question asks about Garm, and the answer is that you can use both factions.

Honestly, I'd say this would be a good ruling for the balance committee to tackle. With everything from the WotC boards now firmly lost to the ether, it's pretty hard to go back and mark a definitive answer (The dead link I had posted in the other topic was a question of if San Hill attacked Palpatine and betrayed, would the new owner be able to get Sep reserves? And the answer was no).
Personally, I'd be fine with allowing it as it'd keep things simple and I'm not really seeing how it'd really break the game.
urbanjedi
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 10:18:20 PM

EmporerDragon wrote:
It's weird when you look in the FAQ about reinforcements. In one answer it says that you must adhere to squadbuilding restrictions, then another question asks about Garm, and the answer is that you can use both factions.

Honestly, I'd say this would be a good ruling for the balance committee to tackle. With everything from the WotC boards now firmly lost to the ether, it's pretty hard to go back and mark a definitive answer (The dead link I had posted in the other topic was a question of if San Hill attacked Palpatine and betrayed, would the new owner be able to get Sep reserves? And the answer was no).
Personally, I'd be fine with allowing it as it'd keep things simple and I'm not really seeing how it'd really break the game.

That is really up to swine if he wants to consider a change (or pass it along to the balance committee for discussion).
donnyrides
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 4:51:46 AM

I have recently brought 2 new players into minis and the card text and glossary text do not provide evidence that it can't be used as the rule of thumb is that SAs allow characters to do things that are not allowed by basic rules. If the card tells you to do it, you shouldn't have to cross reference anything.

All I ask is for the keepers of the glossary to make a distinction in the text, it would go a long way.

Outside of the hardcore players, there's no way an average casual player is researching beyond the glossary because the glossary makes it look pretty clear that it's allowed.

WotC FAQ wording
Q: Can Garm Bel Iblis(NR/Rebel) bring in an Antarian Ranger(NR) or Yuuzhan Vong Ossus Guardian(NR/Vong) into a New
Republic or Rebel squad through his Reinforcements?
A: Yes to a New Republic squad, both these characters are allowed in New Republic squads. No to a
Rebel squad. The faction is not adjusted until after the character is legally added to the squad and
neither of these characters is allowed in a Rebel squad.

From this, I gather that ANY out of faction reserves or reinforcements are illegal UNLESS the card/glossary specifically says something to the effect of "regardless of faction" or "regardless of squad building rules".

*Thanks to Juice for showing me the link to the the FAQ