RegisterDonateLogin

Handy Tip: Frozen Bloo Milk cubes make great damage markers.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Balance Team Pieces Brainstorm Options
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 9:00:20 AM
Groups: Member

DarthMaim wrote:
Couldn't disagree more that TK means an auto loss for Talon. I'm not a Talon expert by any means or stretch, so maybe my opinion isn't the best??????? I will say that with all the shooter hate out there now, that I would think that Talon has some other real/valid/imminent problems other than TK. ( IMHO Cool )

What about hearing from the guys that have been successful with Talon like Darth Jim, and some of the top Talon squad players???????

If I was Talon player and TK was there bothering me, I would ignore him, use my disruptive to keep the Imperial player from swapping him out ( TK loses Opportunist-doing a measely 10 dmg ), and concentrate on destroying pertinent destructive minis that can powerfully kill my dudes. Talon's got a lot of tricks up his sleeve, especially seeing what Darth Jim can do with him ThumbsUp

No doubt Jim is one of the best. So is Laura, so her opinion should carry great weight.

I was the first to win a regional with all fringe, but I wouldn't claim to be a great all-fringe player, certainly nowhere near to as much as those 2.

I would however, consider myself very good at Imperial Swap.

Your strategy of keeping TK in the bubble would be not only virtually useless, but would help you to lose quicker. I'd out activate, walk out of the bubble, swap in, and kill Talon. Even better!

It's certainly not an auto-loss, but it does greatly hurt any talon squad, and thereby any competitive all fringe squad.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 9:08:09 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

FlyingArrow wrote:
I complained about it when I learned about it. I'll see if I can google up the ruling.

Found it. Seemed like it was years ago, but it was actually only a little over a year ago.
http://www.bloomilk.com/Forums/default.aspx?g=posts&m=171973

(And apparently I only complained about it my head.)

The key phrase seems to be "in your squad", which is used by Prideful, Unique, and Black Sun. For each of them, defeated characters count as being "in your squad".

For Specialization and Talon's effects, that phase is not used and they only look at the pieces on the board.
DarthMaim
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 9:13:17 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
DarthMaim wrote:
Couldn't disagree more that TK means an auto loss for Talon. I'm not a Talon expert by any means or stretch, so maybe my opinion isn't the best??????? I will say that with all the shooter hate out there now, that I would think that Talon has some other real/valid/imminent problems other than TK. ( IMHO Cool )

What about hearing from the guys that have been successful with Talon like Darth Jim, and some of the top Talon squad players???????

If I was Talon player and TK was there bothering me, I would ignore him, use my disruptive to keep the Imperial player from swapping him out ( TK loses Opportunist-doing a measely 10 dmg ), and concentrate on destroying pertinent destructive minis that can powerfully kill my dudes. Talon's got a lot of tricks up his sleeve, especially seeing what Darth Jim can do with him ThumbsUp

No doubt Jim is one of the best. So is Laura, so her opinion should carry great weight.

I was the first to win a regional with all fringe, but I wouldn't claim to be a great all-fringe player, certainly nowhere near to as much as those 2.

Your strategy of keeping TK in the bubble would be not only virtually useless, but would help you to lose quicker. I'd out activate, walk out of the bubble, swap in, and kill Talon. Even better!

It's certainly not an auto-loss, but it does greatly hurt any talon squad, and thereby any competitive all fringe squad.

Are you saying if the Talon player ignores the Imperials TK, that it's an auto loss for the Talon player???????

If you were playing Talon against TK, would it be an auto loss for you???????

How would you play Talon against TK??????????

Even without TK, don't you still outactivate, and don't you still have many other swappers that you can utilize to swap outside of the bubble, to come in and kill Talon. I'd imagine Jim and Laura would not let you kill Talon that easily Wink
urbanjedi
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 9:32:20 AM

DarthMaim wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
DarthMaim wrote:

Are you saying if the Talon player ignores the Imperials TK, that it's an auto loss for the Talon player???????

If you were playing Talon against TK, would it be an auto loss for you???????

How would you play Talon against TK??????????

Even without TK, don't you still outactivate, and don't you still have many other swappers that you can utilize to swap outside of the bubble, to come in and kill Talon. I'd imagine Jim and Laura would not let you kill Talon that easily Wink

Isn't it already a really bad matchup without TK421 for the Talon Player? I know when I play Handmaidens, that Talon is actually one of my better matchups.

TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 9:44:07 AM

DarthMaim wrote:
I'd imagine Jim and Laura would not let you kill Talon that easily Wink

Fully agreed. They wouldn't attempt to simply keep TK in the bubble. Flapper BigGrin
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 9:45:59 AM

urbanjedi wrote:

Isn't it already a really bad matchup without TK421 for the Talon Player? I know when I play Handmaidens, that Talon is actually one of my better matchups.

Accurate changes the equation. Without accurate, it's much harder to kill Talon.
Naarkon
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 10:16:57 AM

Wanted to clarify a few things about my first post, sorry if a few things weren't as clear as I thought. As I've come to realize, TK-421 isn't an auto-loss for a Fringe (read Talon) squad. He's annoying and you have to know what you are going to do about him, but he isn't going to take apart your squad by himself. However, that was my perception of him when I was deciding what to bring to the WI regional, and as a result I decided not to even try fringe.

This relates to the problem brought up on this site before of how to get more new people into the game. If I come to the game as a new player, I'm not going to understand how a Talon player deals with TK-421. The Lah warriors and their supporting cast (which I think are a more significant problem) are easier to understand. Maybe not to deal with but to understand. They move fast, hit hard, and are hard to kill. Okay, you just described half of the competitive pieces in the game (they just do it perhaps a little too well). TK-421 and Marn and the other pieces that are harder to just remember the rules for raise the bar very high for entry into the game.

TL:DR TK-421 and Marn aren't (IMHO) balance issues, but simply have problems in the complexity they add to a pretty complex game. Lah warriors don't add complexity, but do have some balance issues, which in my opinion is the better problem to have to deal with.

Edit: I LOVE TK-421 from a casual flavor perspective. I mean, it's really pretty cool and funny, and in a casual game without gambit would most likely be a toss up as to who would benefit. I just don't think he fits well in the competitive game.
Cassus fett
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 10:18:03 AM

Echo24 wrote:
DarthMaim wrote:
Cassus fett wrote:
Could be wrong but wasn't it agreed Marn wasn't and issue? Same with TK-421?

+1.

To make balance committee changes, shoudn't there be considerable community chatter about Npe's in multiple games, regionals, and GenCon? I don't/didn't hear any concrete game experieces that can possibly lead to changing these pieces. I'm hearing 1 or 2 people complaining about these minis. So basically, TK neuters Talon squads, and Marn counters Vong and Sideous/Lothal squads ????????? Come on..............I'm hearing way more people complaining about these squads, then with these minis that peops didn't even play with @ GenCon.............."these aren't the droids you're looking for.......move along"

Agreed. Lots of squads have counters, I really hope we don't go down the path of changing every piece that nerfs a certain squad type. Errata makes games more difficult to play and more difficult to get into (you have to remember the rules, the pieces, and this list of changes to your pieces that aren't on the cards), so they really shouldn't be taken lightly or done when there aren't even a whole lot of complaints or impact.

+1 Amen Brother, erreta's shouldn't be tossed around left right center. Squads have advantages and disadvantages . Jawa's vs Droids for example. I really don't think TK-421 is and issue. And with how powerful Sid+ Lothal is, i think Marn is a good counter. The only reason Marn is being talked about is because he's such an effective counter to the Sid+Lothal.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 10:58:17 AM

Marn also hurts Exar DFS and other force batteries. Not worth changing though.
Mando
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 11:11:20 AM

I wouldn't mind if the Yun Ne'Shel priest could be looked at again. +4 to all saves is ridiculous for non-unique vong. If it was changed to uniques.....maybe it'd be fine. Still not a fan of Avoid Defeat saves on 7's.....but at least Avoid Defeat can be disrupted on that vong peice.
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 11:14:26 AM

Mando wrote:
I wouldn't mind if the Yun Ne'Shel priest could be looked at again. +4 to all saves is ridiculous for non-unique vong. If it was changed to uniques.....maybe it'd be fine. Still not a fan of Avoid Defeat saves on 7's.....but at least Avoid Defeat can be disrupted on that vong peice.

Amen brother!
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 11:15:43 AM

Naarkon wrote:
Edit: I LOVE TK-421 from a casual flavor perspective. I mean, it's really pretty cool and funny, and in a casual game without gambit would most likely be a toss up as to who would benefit. I just don't think he fits well in the competitive game.

Totally agreed.

jen'ari
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 3:02:23 PM

TheHutts wrote:
jen'ari wrote:
I would I would love to look at changing the Sidious Hologram.

The WOTC one? Because he's too powerful?

Yes and not because he is too powerful, but because its stupid and defies Star Wars logic 100%

A sidious hologram cannot magically give someone capabilities of using the force. It makes no sense.

I would want it changed due to npe, the silliness behind the concept of ugnaughts rerolling attacks with the force is ludicrous.

As far as balance team changing things that are too powerful, i think most people will agree that the balance team did a heck of a job and that designers are doing a heck of a job since to not make something overpowered that will "dominate" everything. (get my little joke?)

I think that the balance team is there to help balance fun for all players.
If the casual event stuff takes off than this aspect of the balance team does not really need to be in effect imo.

So, maybe it is not time to worry about little things like that since there are casual options (or are going to be more casual options).
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 3:09:35 PM

jen'ari wrote:
TheHutts wrote:
jen'ari wrote:
I would I would love to look at changing the Sidious Hologram.

The WOTC one? Because he's too powerful?

Yes and not because he is too powerful, but because its stupid and defies Star Wars logic 100%

A sidious hologram cannot magically give someone capabilities of using the force. It makes no sense.

I would want it changed due to npe, the silliness behind the concept of ugnaughts rerolling attacks with the force is ludicrous.

Just like Stormtroopers rerolling using Palps on Throne, I don't think the abstraction is that they are using the Force. Rather, than Sidious/Palpatine is so strong that he influences all sorts of things related to his squad. Think of it as Sidious rerolling the attack for them. The ugnaughts still don't have a Force rating or count as Force users.
jen'ari
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 3:38:41 PM

Well that is interesting, and since my very favorite character is Palpatine I think I just fell in love with that concept. Sidious is that powerful.
kkj
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 4:15:02 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
I don't think the abstraction is that they are using the Force. Rather, than Sidious/Palpatine is so strong that he influences all sorts of things related to his squad.

I think that has always been the idea behind it. I always thought of it that way.

If there's one thing to be changed about Sidious's Hologram it's giving him Separatist Affinity.
General_Grievous
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 5:42:56 PM

kkj wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:
I don't think the abstraction is that they are using the Force. Rather, than Sidious/Palpatine is so strong that he influences all sorts of things related to his squad.

I think that has always been the idea behind it. I always thought of it that way.

If there's one thing to be changed about Sidious's Hologram it's giving him Separatist Affinity.

Yes huge +1 to that. That is the form that always talks and deals with the separatists and he even came out in the clone wars set!
Darth_Jim
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 7:00:04 PM

Sorry...I just caught this thread tonight. I haven't played against TK yet with my Talon squads. It sounds like a win would be difficult, but then I've won games after losing Talon, so I guess I'd have to actually see him in action. At this point, though, I don't see a major issue. You'd either have to dedicate 14 points of your squad to him with his only purpose to nerf all fringe squads if you see them, or run Pellaeon and drop him in if needed. Personally, I like Pellaeon in my Imp squads, but not everyone does. We haven't seen a lot of all fringe squads played, so if fringe suddenly becomes very popular and events are flooded with them, it might be good to have him as an option. Lol I know I might be cutting my own throat saying that, but at this point I'd say leave him alone.

The bigger issue with me is the interpretation that he permanently taints the squad faction even after he's gone. Now that I do have an issue with. We should clean that up. I don't think that's fair. when Talon was first created, I remember that people were excited to create a piece that would encourage people to run all fringe for the first time at a competitive level. I don't think we want to punish people for that. Challenge them, yes...make them figure out how to rid themselves of the albatross if they get it. If they do, they should reap the rewards.
Darth_Jim
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 7:15:56 PM

Echo24 wrote:
DarthMaim wrote:
Cassus fett wrote:
Could be wrong but wasn't it agreed Marn wasn't and issue? Same with TK-421?

+1.

To make balance committee changes, shoudn't there be considerable community chatter about Npe's in multiple games, regionals, and GenCon? I don't/didn't hear any concrete game experieces that can possibly lead to changing these pieces. I'm hearing 1 or 2 people complaining about these minis. So basically, TK neuters Talon squads, and Marn counters Vong and Sideous/Lothal squads ????????? Come on..............I'm hearing way more people complaining about these squads, then with these minis that peops didn't even play with @ GenCon.............."these aren't the droids you're looking for.......move along"

Agreed. Lots of squads have counters, I really hope we don't go down the path of changing every piece that nerfs a certain squad type. Errata makes games more difficult to play and more difficult to get into (you have to remember the rules, the pieces, and this list of changes to your pieces that aren't on the cards), so they really shouldn't be taken lightly or done when there aren't even a whole lot of complaints or impact.

Just rereading the thread to make sure I didn't miss anything. +1 to what both of these dudes said.
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 9:02:17 PM

Darth_Jim wrote:
The bigger issue with me is the interpretation that he permanently taints the squad faction even after he's gone. Now that I do have an issue with. We should clean that up. I don't think that's fair. when Talon was first created, I remember that people were excited to create a piece that would encourage people to run all fringe for the first time at a competitive level. I don't think we want to punish people for that. Challenge them, yes...make them figure out how to rid themselves of the albatross if they get it. If they do, they should reap the rewards.

Not to worry.

TimmerB123 wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

FlyingArrow wrote:

The Imperial player doesn't want to kill gambit-getting Luke Stormie because it would give back the +4/+10 and Ysalamiri.

I thought there was a ruling that once a character is on your squad, it is always considered a part of it, even after death. So you'd lose the bonus for good.

This is, quite frankly, a rules mess.

For the purposes of Unique, defeated characers are still in your squad. You can't bring in another version of the same character with Reserves even if your first one died.

For the purposes of Black Sun, they are still in your squad. You still get Grenades if your Vigo is defeated.

For the purposes of Talon and Specialization, your squad no longer contains them when they're defeated.

Apparently, a defeated piece "is in the same squad" (Black Sun wording) but your squad doesn't "contain" them (Talon's wording on both My Pets from Myrkr and CE). If your head just exploded, I'm on your side. I complained about it when I learned about it. I'll see if I can google up the ruling.

OK - That's good actually. It's not quite as bad as I thought. But I still think it's worth considering.
Might actually do some PTing on this

FlyingArrow wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:
I complained about it when I learned about it. I'll see if I can google up the ruling.

Found it. Seemed like it was years ago, but it was actually only a little over a year ago.
http://www.bloomilk.com/Forums/default.aspx?g=posts&m=171973

(And apparently I only complained about it my head.)

The key phrase seems to be "in your squad", which is used by Prideful, Unique, and Black Sun. For each of them, defeated characters count as being "in your squad".

For Specialization and Talon's effects, that phase is not used and they only look at the pieces on the board.