RegisterDonateLogin

Slightly more stable than an AT-ST on a log trap.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

*New* Casual Format Vassal Tournament Options
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2016 3:04:11 PM
Groups: Member

Three categories of players:

1. Never competed in a standard format SWM GenCon tournament, won a regional, or placed top 4 in the NZ nationals, and want to construct their own squad.

2. Never competed in a standard format SWM GenCon tournament, won a regional, or placed top 4 in the NZ nationals and would rather just be handed a squad.

3. Have played in standard format SWM GenCon tournaments, won a regional, or placed top 4 in the NZ nationals.

(TILE WARS, Royal Rumble, minis madness, sealed, Epics, scenarios, etc are all fine to have been played in the past. I am speaking of regular minis tournaments, which has lately just been the Championship at GenCon)

Those folks in category 1 will build their squads in advance (following the new format squad building rules) and bring them to the tournament (just like normal)

Those folks in category 2 will show up, nothing required but a passing familiarity with the game. They get handed a squad, a map, and a quick overview of how the squad plays. These squads will be strong, but simple and straightforward to run.

Those folks in category 3 will show up, nothing required to bring. They will be handed a "fun" squad, and a map. These squads will usually have a theme and will not be tier 1. They will most certainly NOT contain any of the following: Booming Voice, boardwide CEs, override, Vong, strafe, galloping attack, ABM, Vaapad, SSM, etc. You get the idea.

Rules for SWM competitive play all remain the same, with the exception of squadbuilding restrictions

-For those constructing their own squads:

Squad building restrictions:

1. No booming voice
2. No activation control (less or more activations per turn)
3. No commanders with boardwide CEs
4. 16 activation limit
5. No characters with reinforcements, reserves or bribery
6. 200 pt squads
7. No Yuuzhan Vong
8. No override (manual override is fine)
9. No initiative altering abilities (of any kind)
10. No strafe or galloping attack.

This means you may not bring characters with any of the above.

All pre-build squads will adhere to the same restrictions.

Saturday Oct 22

This is the START date for the tournament. We will be doing long form tournament, like the Vassal Regional was this year.

Cost: FREE!
Map List: Any standard list map currently on Vassal. (This is casual after all)
Legal Pieces: All WotC and V-Set pieces, up through and including V-Set 12 (including the BHC pieces). Please take note that you are welcome to use V-Sets 11 + 12 pieces, although you’ll need to use proxies for those pieces since V-Sets 11 + 12 have not yet been added to the Vassal module.
Squad Format: 200pt Constructed. All SWMGPA Floor Rules will be in effect, including errata and decisions made by the SWM Balance Team. The only exception is the squadbuilding restrictions above.
Judge: The community. It's a casual format, try to make ruling between yourselves. If it's just a question on rules - hit anyone else up.
Format: Standard format: Swiss rounds (depending on the number of players - usually 3-4 rounds) then cutting to a Top 4 for playoff rounds (1st vs 4th and 2nd vs 3rd, then the winners play each other in the Finals).
Game Length: 80 min rounds, including setup time. (The little extra is because we will HOPEFULLY have some newcomers). Since we’ll all be using Skype or telephone, there is no reason why the game has to take longer than 60 minutes, but since the Vassal interface might not be completely familiar to some players, we’ll make it 80 just to be fair to everyone. Players need to keep track of their own time during their matches. Set a countdown timer.
System Requirements: You must have Skype, or at least some sort of live voice-chat capability such as FaceTime or a basic phone call, in order to play. Most telephone plans have unlimited free minutes domestically. For international, Skype is the best option. Seriously, there are so many different avenues available to us now that there’s really no good reason not to have a way to speak with your opponent.
You must also have the newest versions of the Vassal mod (version 11) and the V-Set extensions (v 10.0) on your computer. If you have trouble, contact me before the tournament starts and I'll (try to) walk you through the setup process.
Player Requirements: You must make a faithful and reasonable effort to check your BMs at least once every 24 hours after the tournament has started. You are responsible for staying up-to-date on what is going on with the tournament, and for communicating with your opponent each round in order to schedule and play your game. I will send a BM to all players every time a new round of pairings are announced.

How to Register
1. Sign up in this thread
2. Before 8:00 pm CST on Thursday, October 20th, send me a BM that includes ALL of the following information for yourself:
-Real name
-Screen name on Vassal
-Screen name here on Bloomilk
-emai address
-Skype name
-Map choice
-Which category of player you are (See above - 1, 2, or 3)
-And ONLY if you are category 1:
A Bloomilk squad link for your squad. Make sure that your squad is set to Public rather than Private.
As with any typical tournament, your squad and map choices will apply for the whole tournament. You may not change your squad or map after the tournament has begun.

How the Tournament Will Run
This Tournament will not be held on a single day. Rather, this tournament will be run over the course of several weeks so that everyone can fit their games into their own schedule.

Each round, once pairings are announced, players will have 7 days in which to contact their opponent, schedule and play their game, and then report the results. When I announce the pairings I will also announce the deadline for completing those matches.

The winner of the game is responsible for reporting the game results. Please report your game results in THIS thread, and then send me a brief BM, stating that you’ve reported your results. Reports need to include the player names, the squads, the map that was used, and the score after 80 minutes of play. Match summaries of one sort or another are welcomed too, but not at all necessary.

If it turns out that all the matches have been completed their match before the week’s time is up, then we’ll start the next round a little earlier. Regardless, players will never have more than 7 days to complete match, once that round’s pairings have been announced.

In the case of any match not being completed by the deadline, both players will receive a double-loss unless one player can demonstrate that his/her opponent has been completely non-responsive to communications. But please don’t let it get that far; if your opponent is still non-responsive after 24 hours then contact me via BM immediately. In this case we’ll deal with situations as they come up.

Rules questions can be sent directly to our expert SWM rules gurus (one of the benefits of a format like this). Be sure to take note of the time remaining in the match when you pause for a situation like this, so that you can continue with that same time after you’ve resolved the dispute. Keep in mind that this is a casual format, so I don't expect too many issues

We will be using the 3-2-1 scoring system: it will be “200 or 2.” since it is the only fair way to do it. Since people will be playing at different times, there is no way to reliably contact someone to resolve a dispute, and so please just play fairly and at a good speed. Experienced players, help out the new ones out. More than anything - have fun! :) Consider this a test run for possible inclusion at GenCon

TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2016 5:18:13 AM

Player registration:

1. Never competed in a standard format SWM GenCon tournament, won a regional, or placed top 4 in the NZ nationals, and want to construct their own squad.

Name: Craig C
Bloomilk name: Jen'ari
screen name on Vassal: Jen'ari
skype name: ccook_1192
Email: ccook1192@gmail.com
map choice: Jabba's Palace
squad: http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/172564/a-sound-soul-resides-within-a-sound-mind--and-a-sound-body

Name: Shawn B
Bloomilk name: Caedus
screen name on Vassal: Shawn Booher
skype name: lordcaedus74
Email: cubbiefanlkm@gmail.com
map choice: Theed Palace
squad: http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/171313/haunting-sith

Name: Rich A
Bloomilk name: DarthRattlehead
screen name on Vassal: darthrattlehead
skype name: tio.richie
Email: richkris@gmail.com
map choice: Rhen Var Citadel
squad: http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/172550/vassal-tank-squad

Name: Trevor Christensen
Bloomilk name: Mando
screen name on Vassal: obikenobi1
skype name: obikenobi_1
Email: tbchristensen.ce@gmail.com
map choice: Jabba's Palace
squad: http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/171190/star-wars-rebels--casual-

Name: Kyle W
Bloomilk name: Gannandorf
screen name on Vassal: Kyle
skype name: Kyle
Email: kyletw89@gmail.com
map choice: Hall of Judgement
squad: www.bloomilk.com/Squad/172535/what-the-heck-is-this-sith

2. Never competed in a standard format SWM GenCon tournament, won a regional, or placed top 4 in the NZ nationals and would rather just be handed a squad.

Name: Hone H
Bloomilk name: HoneHeron
screen name on Vassal: HoneHeron
skype name: HoneHeron
Email: honegrinz@hotmail.com
map choice: TBA
squad: http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/172520/--new--casual-format-prebuilt-squad--11---separatist---loathsome-hunters--category-2-

Name: Trevor Cook
Bloomilk name: Deaths_Baine
screen name on Vassal: deaths_baine
skype name: Trevor Cook
Email: ttrevor_cook5@hotmail.com
map choice: Jabbas Palace
squad: http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/172527/--new--casual-format-prebuilt-squad--10--republic---blast-em-n-smash-em--category-2-

3. Have played in standard format SWM GenCon tournaments, won a regional, or placed top 4 in the NZ nationals.

Name: Jason K
Bloomilk name: UrbanJedi
screen name on Vassal: UrbanJedi (or UrbanShmi)
skype name: Jason Kiernan Star Wars
Email: Jkiernan@alboin.edu
squad: http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/172524/--new--casual-format-prebuilt-squad--1---nr---class-is-still-in-session--category-3-

Name: TJ H
Bloomilk name: FlyingArrow
screen name on Vassal: FlyingArrow
skype name: kotaejin@live.com
Email: kotaejin@live.com
squad: http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/172517/--new--casual-format-prebuilt-squad--4---or---the--even-older--old-guard---category-3-

Name: Bryan H
Bloomilk name: DarkDracul
screen name on Vassal: Darkdracul
skype name: Darkdracul
Email: bryan@gamerdmz.com
map choice: Bothan Spynet
squad: http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/172363/--new--casual-format-prebuilt-squad--7---republic---class-is-in-session--category-3-

Name: Mike G
Bloomilk name: AceAce
screen name on Vassal:
skype name:
Email:
squad: http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/172521/--new--casual-format-prebuilt-squad--6---rebel---an-old-hope--category-3-

Name: David M
Bloomilk name: Dr Daman
Vassal screen name: Dr Daman
Skype name: Ooobacca
Email: ilovelamp@live.com
squad: http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/172525/--new--casual-format-prebuilt-squad--5--separatist---palpatines-puppets--category-3-

Name: Matt S
Bloomilk name: spryguy1981
screen name on Vassal: spryguy1981
skype name: spryguy1981
Email: spryguy1981@yahoo.com
squad: http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/172519/--new--casual-format-prebuilt-squad--9---sith---return-of-the-dark-side--category-3-

Name: Tim B
Bloomilk name: TimmerB123
screen name on Vassal: TimmerB123
Skype name: Tim Ballard
Email: TimmerB123@aol.com
map choice: Rancor Pit
squad: http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/172526/--new--casual-format-prebuilt-squad--3--fringe---savage-arena--category-3-
jen'ari
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2016 5:31:40 AM

I am in and I will have vassal up and running on my computer ;)

Will send info soon, just have to pin point what army i want
urbanjedi
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2016 2:47:38 PM

Just a couple questions

1. Are strafe/gallop allowed?
2. Is init control allowed?

I know these have been talked about previously as stuff people didn't want to see at a more casual setting so checking to see

Thanks
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2016 3:01:45 PM

urbanjedi wrote:
Just a couple questions

1. Are strafe/gallop allowed?
2. Is init control allowed?

I know these have been talked about previously as stuff people didn't want to see at a more casual setting so checking to see

Thanks

Great points!

Those are both added.
DarthRattlehead
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2016 2:48:27 AM

I'm in :) yup, i've never placed in the top 4 at NZ CON.. lol.. if i place in the top 4 next weekend i'll let ya know :P
Rich
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2016 5:45:13 AM

DarthRattlehead wrote:
I'm in :) yup, i've never placed in the top 4 at NZ CON.. lol.. if i place in the top 4 next weekend i'll let ya know :P
Rich

Cool!
Mando
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2016 10:18:55 AM

I am in. I'd be considered a category 1
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2016 2:16:51 PM

Mando wrote:
I am in. I'd be considered a category 1

A hair's breadth away from category 3. Wink
urbanjedi
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2016 8:43:30 PM

A couple more questions about squad building rules

2. No activation control

Does this mean that the XT Droid, Darth Sidious, Ki-Adi Mundi Jedi Master, Raynar Thul, and others that let you go with more than 2 characters in one phase (in some phases) are not allowed? If so, how do we differentiate between what is and isn't allowed?

7. No Vong

I asked for clarity from the community way back in the other thread, but no one seemed to notice, but can I play an Ossus Guardian for instance in the NR? Or is it no Purple cards?

Mando
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 4:59:53 AM

*BUMP*
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 6:52:10 AM

urbanjedi wrote:
A couple more questions about squad building rules

2. No activation control

Does this mean that the XT Droid, Darth Sidious, Ki-Adi Mundi Jedi Master, Raynar Thul, and others that let you go with more than 2 characters in one phase (in some phases) are not allowed? If so, how do we differentiate between what is and isn't allowed?

7. No Vong

I asked for clarity from the community way back in the other thread, but no one seemed to notice, but can I play an Ossus Guardian for instance in the NR? Or is it no Purple cards?

Good question

As far as Vong, we are banning "characters with . . ." Not a faction. So no purple cards period.

As far as act control, characters with CEs that raise or lower # of activations per phase (with the possibility of it being every phase in a round)

Exhaustive list:
Dodonna
Ozzel
San Hill
Lord Krayt
Mando Tactician
GM Tarkin
Veed
Mar Tuuk
Quoreal
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2016 10:06:36 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

October 22? That's a pretty long wait to get started. I think I'll join, though.
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2016 1:41:08 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
October 22? That's a pretty long wait to get started. I think I'll join, though.

Great !

I set the date a little further ahead because I knew there would be some questions that would pop up that we needed to shake out.

Also considering how there's much less traffic here these days I wanted to give it time for people to see it and hopefully word-of-mouth build
Mando
Posted: Monday, October 3, 2016 10:29:40 AM

*bump*
Caedus
Posted: Monday, October 3, 2016 12:25:48 PM

Is anyone showing any interest in this? Can we have an updated list of who is attending/participating?
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, October 3, 2016 9:53:11 PM

Looks like so far we have:

Jen'ari
Darth Rattlehead
Mando
Flying_Arrow
Caedus (assuming your inquiry means you'd like to play).

Others I might hope or except to play.

UrbanJedi I would think for sure. The format was LITERALLY (yes, not figuratively) made for him. His isistance on playing in the casual format helped bring this hybrid to life.

Thereisnotry was also interested in the causal format play.

others that contributed to the origianl casual format thread:

kkj
Darth_Reignir
ChewbaccaBigfoot
jak
shmi15
juice man
TheHutts
harryg
Deaths_Baine
gholli69
leshippy
billiv15
CorellianComedian
AceAce
spryguy1981
DarthMaim
Echo24
UrbanShmi

So - let's drum up some excitemement and get these folks to sign up!
HoneHeron
Posted: Monday, October 3, 2016 11:12:06 PM

I'm in! I'm either category 1 or 3, I'll let you know after NZ Nationals this weekend which one.
Caedus
Posted: Tuesday, October 4, 2016 4:19:06 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Looks like so far we have:

Jen'ari
Darth Rattlehead
Mando
Flying_Arrow
Caedus (assuming your inquiry means you'd like to play).

I'd absolutely love to play, simply because it's SWM. I was just thinking that with all the talk about how we needed a format like this, there would be more interest shown by some of the more casual players.Confused On another note, BM isn't working that well, I may need to send my info Via FB sir. I will try to put a plug on SHNN, this week, as well
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, October 4, 2016 7:33:56 AM

HoneHeron wrote:
I'm in! I'm either category 1 or 3, I'll let you know after NZ Nationals this weekend which one.

Awesome!