RegisterDonateLogin

Your taste buds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Beast Rider on Drexl Options
DarthMaim
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2017 12:11:05 PM
Groups: Member

Am I understanding this right? With the "Beast Attack" special ability, with double attack, he's +12 to it's attack, doing 50 dmg a pop, with Force Immunity, for a possible 100 damage, or 120 dmg with Bastila, or he can stand still and shoot, for 60 dmg total ( Without "Beast Attack" ), with Force Immunity, all on a 35pt mini??? ( Oh, and by the way, he has 140 hp )
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2017 2:59:19 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Correct. Let us know how he does for you. As far as I know no one has had any great success with him.
General_Grievous
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2017 3:38:16 PM

Yep. It was glorious Haha. and very strong against an all melee force dependent team on Geonosis arena haha
CorellianComedian
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2017 4:37:59 PM

General_Grievous wrote:
Yep. It was glorious Haha. and very strong against an all melee force dependent team on Geonosis arena haha

Those seem like very specific circumstances Flapper
DarthMaim
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2017 5:29:22 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Correct. Let us know how he does for you. As far as I know no one has had any great success with him.

All due respect, this is stupid. A 35pt scrub no name mini should never be able to do 100pts of dmg, by itself! Why are non-uniques more powerful than uniques in this game. This would never be reality in the SW movies. This is exactly the reason a bunch of dudes in Los Angeles quit the game. Non-uniques outclass the uniques. Yeah, I know, the next post will be, "move your rant to general, and throw it at the balance committee".

Come on "Flyingarrow", a named Jedi, can't respond to the attacks of a scrub, and it can do 100pts of damage, and it's only 35pts. This is ridiculous. I don't care if it's a huge or that no one has had success with him. This game is not just about competition. It's also about having fun, and avoiding npe's. This mini is not balanced. The game stats and abilities on minis should take into account all potential maps and scenario's, especially taking into consideration maps that play into their strengths. Just because a mini is a huge, shouldn't give it preferential treatment to make an arguably broken piece, or give it a crazy ability that ups its damage potential by 30 dmg with just 1 hit. Even the high end, high pt uniques, that have to spend Force, can only up their dmg by 20, and they usually cost double, of what this guy costs.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2017 5:48:30 PM

Please playtest to help prevent anything you consider broken or out-of-character from slipping through.
General_Grievous
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2017 6:23:53 PM

Hey Maim, I'll help with some perspective here. On paper the new huges look great. For an even stronger example the pummel droid has 60-70 damage unblockable hit, and he can be pawned and given double for even more the protocol damage, way stronger than this guy. This one only has the 50-60 (with Bastilla hit) but the key thing for both and all huges for that matter is the maps. I have been trying to make huges competive for years and even as stacked as some are they are just too unwieldy. Maps like Arena and Better example, the plains of Hoth or the blank sides of early maps are not legal for tournament play exactly for that reason. It would be a shooter/huges game. But he reality is even on the arena I had a ton of trouble setting up beast attacks and actually only got one off the whole game. He kept blocking my landing positions with a single ghost or a scrub. So instead my piece turned into an awkward massive double attacking at 20 damage piece that was a sitting duck and able to be easily swarmed. If it wasn't for locking Krayt in a lift he went to heal in I may not have won that game. So they are definitely definitely not good, better on certain illegal maps, but definitely nowhere even approaching the realm of competitive, let alone broken. Stats like theirs on a medium based grunt, Roger that it's an entirely different story but as is I don't think they will even see play outside of thematic games (and even then how many times have they been used in the campaign?)

To your second point of scrubs versus heroes. I'm of the other school of thought where I like being able to bring a swarm of battle droids or stormtroopers and actually be able to overwhelm an enemy. And further the game isn't epic duels (props if you recognize that old game) or a one versus one hero duel. It's meant to reflect a wide range of play/combat styles and I applaud the designers for continually trying to make huges more than... Meh. And to have to remember this isn't just a scrub, it's a massive dinosaur that could and probably has torn their share of jedi apart. Huge pieces should have massive health and damage output as that's how they actually are. How many great jedi were slain by terentaks or Rancors? And yet those are some of the worst pieces in this game. Or Krayt Dragons? Massive droid artillery pieces, and creatures like this.

I hope that helps put a different perspective on your view.
General_Grievous
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2017 6:24:41 PM

CorellianComedian wrote:
General_Grievous wrote:

Those seem like very specific circumstances Flapper

Hahah yes it was very very specific
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2017 7:58:47 PM

DarthMaim wrote:
Am I understanding this right? With the "Beast Attack" special ability, with double attack, he's +12 to it's attack, doing 50 dmg a pop, with Force Immunity, for a possible 100 damage, or 120 dmg with Bastila, or he can stand still and shoot, for 60 dmg total ( Without "Beast Attack" ), with Force Immunity, all on a 35pt mini??? ( Oh, and by the way, he has 140 hp )

Sorry, I was wrong about one thing. He has Force Immunity, so he can't get the +10 Damage from Advanced Battle Meditation.
gholli69
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2017 8:54:21 PM

Why would he not be subject to the Bastilla +10 damage bump, in the glossary it says enemies cannot affect blah blah blah, the key word there being enemies. It doesn't say anything about not being subject to allies FPs even though that would make sense, we all know that just because something seems to make sense it isn't necessarily how it works in this game.
Echo24
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2017 9:07:52 PM

The card text says enemies but the glossary (at least the BM glossary) actually says "other characters", which would include allies.
urbanjedi
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2017 11:14:36 PM

Not any different than ganner NOT being able to levitate ossus gaurdians
jak
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2017 6:56:33 AM

it always sux when you face a surprisingly powerful piece for the first time.
some of the stats, SA's, and CE's on the newer pieces can get silly.
time will tell if it's real problem or not .
if so the Balance dudes can look at it.
the hard part is patience, while getting p0wned by a possibly broken piece
gholli69
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2017 7:16:21 AM

yeah I meant to say card text not glossary, I then went to the glossary to read it and saw that it said other characters which is way different than enemies so glad that that isnt confusing or misleading based on the card text. Sarcasim intended!!
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2017 10:35:05 AM

WotC clearly made the card text for Vong without thinking of allies with Force powers.