RegisterDonateLogin

Watch your mouth, kid!

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

SWM 2017 Hall of Fame Inductees Options
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 8:50:02 AM
Groups: Member

The 2017 Hall of Fame inductees are:

Mike Giles (AceAce) – Top player, Ran PTcommittee for years, GenCon Customs, Created a GenCon Event, awesome travel buddy.

Matt Spry (Spryguy1981) – Top player, Great person, Exceptional playtester, Awesome supporter of the game for years.

Posthumous Honorary Inductee: CHRIS FLORES (Big Chris) – Helped start and run local Kokomo group, Amazing customs for GenCon, Huge Heart and generous donator of event prizes. RIP friend, I hope we roll dice again in the next life.

(Our sincere apologies for the oversight of announcing on Sith Holonews Network and not following with a post here.)
jak
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 9:42:42 AM

I want a recountAngry
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 9:52:09 AM

jak wrote:
I want a recountAngry

So do the majority of American voters
jak
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 2:19:40 PM

so.. you gotta be in the club, to get in the club?

With all I've done, I can't figure why I was black-balled

the questions and my answers for Hof entrance

Congratulations! You have been nominated for entry into the Star Wars Miniatures Hall of Fame! The current Hall of Fame members now must go through the process of voting on who will be admitted for the class of 2017. To help us with this difficult decision, please fill out the questionnaire below and return it no later than March 5.

1. What things have you accomplished related to Star Wars Miniature play? These can be anything from building the game locally, winning tournaments, creating websites, etc.

Built game locally,by organizing a Star Wars Minis Day, playing every 3rd Sat from 10-09 til 11-15.
Mailed free SWM to anyone, to spread the game and get more players interested.
Traveling to many SWM tournys, after game dried up locally.
First moderator on Bloomilk.
Been playing @ GenCon SWM events since 2008.
Recently ran Christmas miracle contest, and sent minis to winners.
I've made many customs, since DotF came out, including some for the GenCon Sealed event.
Won the first (and only) Humanitarian Award, for giving away free minis.
Have run SWM tournys, including Ohio Regionals, and Frosty Cons.
Opened my home to attendees of those tournys as a 'lil B&B, and for traveling players from Chicago to spend the night on the way home from the NY Frosty years.
I'm second on the GTL, having made 134 trades so far.

2. Which of those accomplishments are you most proud of related to Star Wars Miniatures?
Giving away free minis and customs.

3. How have you fared in tournament play, both locally and if you have participated in larger scale tournaments?
I've had my moments, but I'm not usually a top tier player. I'm more likely to win Sportsmanship award,(2 years, back to back, '12 & '13 at Frosty NY) than first place. I won 2nd in the first tourny I played in, an all melee one with local guys back in '08. Finished 3rd @ OH regional in '12. Placed 7th @ SWM Champs at GenCon in 2012. I won Tile Wars @ GenCon in 2015.

4. Have you played any of the current Hall of Fame members, and if so, how have you fared? Can you describe one of these games? If you have not, then describe a game with your toughest local opponents. I've played many HoF members. Don't really remember any details, but I'm sure I lost. Joe(juice man) is my toughest(only) opponent. I've won some games, but Joe usually wins. I love this game, but, sadley, I'm not to good at competitive play.

5. Tell us about how and when you got into the game, and give us a brief history of your time in it.
I bought some Rebel Storm boosters,in '04 or '05, with the intent of using then as customs for Heroscape, a game I was heavily into then. One night I decided to read the rules. I found them easy enough to understand. Joe and I then played a game, using the Heroscape tiles as a map. We both loved it and have been playing ever since.I checked with my LGS and found out there were some SWM players there. First game was a 3 way battle, I won with Snowtroopers with E-web blasters. After that, the game grew there so that on any given Saturday, a majority of people were playing SWM.

6. Tell us about your current role in the Star Wars community, both locally and on any websites you might be a part of.
I still do Star Wars Saturday, on the 3rd Sat. of the month. Still making Customs for GenCon. Still active on the forums. Still active trading.
Still running tourys.
7. What are the most important attributes to you for entrance into the Star Wars Miniature Hall of Fame? In other words, as a potential future HoF member, what would you look at for future members?
HoF need to be active in the game, and on the forums, in organizing events, donating prize support,being passionate and honest about how you like the game. They need to make the time commitment to travel to attend events, as locl games are drying up.
8. Why should we vote for you over the other nominees? For those of you who are modest, or do not like to appear arrogant, this is not the time to do so. By all means, convince us to give you our votes. Tell us why you should be a part of HoF Class of 2015.
Let me reiterate why I should be enshrined. I've given hundreds of dollars worth of SWM to other members, an act that have not been duplicated.
I've been involved in this game for 12 years or more. I was the very first moderator on Bloomilk, and Shinja took my advice on 2 more of the first
team of mods. Traveled to many tournaments, with varying degrees of success.The very first time I played in the SWM Champs at GenCon, I made top 8, eventually finishing 7th. I'm a very active trader on Bloomilk, 134 so far. I'm current Tile Wars Champ. Opened my home as a B&B
to tourny travelers, and Frosty players.My GenCon customs are favorites of the players in Sealed. I've always been active in the game, and continue to be so now. I love this game, and will play as long as possible.
9. What is your favorite Star Wars character of all time and why?
This is a tough one.Only 1 character out of a huge galaxy of really cool ones. I'd have to go with Artoo-Detoo.
He was the a hero in Star Wars within the first few minutes of the film. He changed the whole concept of robots,AKA droids. Up until then robots were
usually imagined as bi-peds. His sassy, independent personality was unique to automatons at that time. I thought it was great. Time and time again, he saved the day. He usually put his 'lil probe in a access outlet, twist & turn his "arm", and the problem was solved.As the story progresses I always look forward to seeing my 'lil droid friend. If he wasn't in the story, they all die!(in a trash compacter). Maybe R-2 could have saved the Rouge One crew?
10. Anything else we should knnow about you that have not been covered in a previous question?
Forgot to mention I was on the Play Test committee for a few Vsets.
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 2:29:53 PM

jak wrote:
so.. you gotta be in the club, to get in the club?

No. Unlike our current president, you actually have to get voted for by the MAJORITY.

You did not.
Caedus
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 3:23:25 PM

Good Lord. Can we keep Real polotics out of SWM? If I wanted to listen to Dems and Repubs talk about how bad the other is, I'd get on Facebook.
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 3:24:52 PM

No sympathy for someone throwing a temper tantrum about not getting into the HoF. You can blame him. Flapper
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 3:29:16 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

To be fair, jak didn't bring politics into the conversation.

At any rate, there's another vote next year.
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 3:29:49 PM

jak wrote:

To be candid - you frequently being a prick on the boards (which you are demontstarting brilliantly here) probably played a big roll.

To continue - Simply put - Mike G and Matt Spry have done more.

If you look beyond your own ego - you could see that
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 3:30:54 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Unlike our current president, you actually have to get voted for by the MAJORITY.

You did not.

Is this not a verifiable fact? No opinion expressed here.
juice man
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 3:50:12 PM

Caedus wrote:
Good Lord. Can we keep Real polotics out of SWM? If I wanted to listen to Dems and Repubs talk about how bad the other is, I'd get on Facebook.
One more reason to not be on Facebook. BigGrin
General_Grievous
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 3:52:45 PM

Everybody love everybody! Haha. But yes posting here would be helpful next time for us to know haha
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 6:42:11 PM

Learn to play politics jak, if you ever want to be anything in this game
SithBot
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 6:48:09 PM

Congrats!! SPRY!!
well deserved.
I played Legends when it was around, top notch stuff.

I don't know all your accolades, just that you are a good guy who as done a lot for the game!
jak
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 7:16:26 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
jak wrote:

To be candid - you frequently being a prick on the boards (which you are demontstarting brilliantly here) probably played a big roll.

To continue - Simply put - Mike G and Matt Spry have done more.

If you look beyond your own ego - you could see that

FUCK YOU! Timmy!
and anyone else who voted against me.
what I post has nothing to do with what I've done
never said Matt and Mike don't deserve it.
Simply put, I do too.
I'll never understand you youngsters, independent though is beyond you.
"think like us, or your wrong"

Since,I'm not appreciated, I'm out.

Deaths_Baine
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 7:39:44 PM

Ahhh this was more entertaining then the draft.
Kamikaze13
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 8:00:33 PM

Could a Moderator please star out that four letter word above? I have a younger brother who gets on the forum. (I thought we had a filter...)
theultrastar
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 8:07:02 PM

#jakwaswronged
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 9:25:28 PM

On a lighter note -

If anyone is curious how the voting works - we don't vote against anyone. It is not simply a yes or no vote for each person. We have a limited (max) number of people each Hall of Fame member can vote for, and we each cast our votes for the candidates we feel best exemplify what's best about our community. Community involvement, group organization, competitive play, sportsmanship, and positive engagement online are just a few things that can be considered for each candidate. We vote in an outside, neutral, blind forum, so nobody can see who anyone else is voting for.

Candidates also receive a "community vote" if they were one of the top 3 vote-getters in the primaries.

We take all of the Hall-of-Fame votes and add the community vote to the total of those who earned one. If any finalist's vote count total is over 50% of the total number of HoF voters, then they are inducted.

This year was a very tough choice. Mike and Matt were the two that earned more than 50%, and thus the 2 elected in.

Often it takes multiple times of being a finalist to be elected in. I know both Mike and Matt have been HoF finalists before. As a personal example, it took 3 years of being a finalist before I was inducted.

There are a small number of votes cast overall, and it is difficult to choose who to vote for with many worthy nominees.

Mike and Matt are very worthy inductees. Congratulations to you both.

It is also an honor we felt was only right to bestow to our fallen comrade, Chris Flores.

I hope this helps clear up any misconceptions there may have been about the voting process. It's a very straight forward process, but it is actually quite hard to get the requisite number of votes to get in.
kobayashimaru
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 9:49:52 PM

it's all good,
let's not lose perspective here...
we're talking about a HoF for an OOP SW:themed boardgame BigGrin
not, Tolstoy's War and Peace, the Fields Medal, a Nobel Prize,
or other vital things with IRW consequences...

HoF folks are there. Why rain on their parade?
it's like the Golden Key society - they earned it meritocratically,
and what privileges or things associated with it, do they get,
other than the chindōgu of exclusivity or 'prestiege'?
(from "A's work for C's, and B's work for the government"...)

the chances of all Bloomilk members becoming part of the HoF approaches 100%
with the longer time and recursive elimination babushka limits;
people who are in the HoF cannot be re-admitted unless they're disbarred/kicked out...
so unless they implement a Penrose-Daly voting 'steady-state" system,
this will eventually happen.
no doubt at some point prior to that turning point, another strata will emerge...

ergo, as the number of new Bloomilk-ians becomes a static quantity,
your chances increase infinitely to eventually be in the HoF.
As this also extends to posthumous entrance, it would seem that it is more likely for 2 standard deviations
to be admitted after their demise... assuming there is a bloomilk around in the future.
counter-intuitively, at that point, it becomes rarer to ^not^ be in the HoF.

Syndrome from The Incredibles, "When everyone's super, no-one will be"
Law of Averages with respect to time,
"default, default!" Homer Simpson, George Carlin in "It's Bad For Ya". etc.

until next time,
Kobayashimaru