RegisterDonateLogin

More machine than man.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Slooooowww Play.... my perspective, somethings never change Options
leshippy
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 8:50:11 AM
Groups: Member

After the IN regional, I feel this might need to be addressed.

As a judge of many regionals, my general rule of thumb is a round is 10 minutes or 5 minutes a player.

Now I know that many of you are going to say "how can that be?" Look I haven't played for a year. I could sit down with my squad and still get 6 rounds off in an hour.

First know your squad. Know your squad, Know your squad.

If you are playing 10+ pieces spin the pieces you are going to spin and move on. Don't waste time counting squares for one character only to spin the commanders in the back.

If you make it to the 20 minute mark on the clock and are still in round one let the judge know. If the judge doesn't know about it he can't do anything about it. Bitching about it after the fact doesn't accomplish much and I won't feel the least bit sorry for you if you do. Tell the judge and they can do something about it.

Know your map.

Make a move. You can analyze till we are all blue in the face, but make a move and deal with how everything shakes out. On that topic engage. I get you don't want to lose a piece and neither does your opponent. But you need to engage not just dance around. Figure out a way to get a shot and take it.

Echo24
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 9:02:59 AM

Your goal needs to be to finish within 60 minutes, where "finish" is defined as one player kills an opponent's entire squad or reaches 200 points. If that means you have to rush some moves, then you have to rush some moves. NickName once said (I'm paraphrasing because this was years ago but I still remember the gist of it) that you don't have unlimited time to think through every move, only as much as is possible to still genuinely try to finish the game within 60 minutes.

I don't have such a problem with counting out a bunch of squares and then just spinning a commander, as long as you don't do it too often and/or that counting is useful later. Plenty of times I count out a move and spend a minute or two figuring it out, decide that then isn't a good time to do it, and spin a commander; but then in a couple phases I do that move I planned out and get it done quickly because I did all that counting earlier.

Obviously I wasn't in Indiana but those have always been some of my thoughts. Intent is important, and both players need to be playing with the goal to be 200 points in 60 minutes. Sometimes you don't get there, and that's ok, but you need to be trying.
spryguy1981
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 10:42:15 AM

Play like Matt Spry! He always plays quickly! LOL! No seriously I do play pretty quickly. Even with my high activations for the Vassal Regional my opponents will tell you I make pretty quick decisions.
DarthMaim
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 10:48:44 AM

Great topic Les!

As a judge, how do you fairly rule on a guy that has "30" dudes, and then his opponent has only "9"? Obviously, it's going to take triple the time for the guy with "30", because he has a lot more to move. The 1st rnd or 2, "shouldn't" take much time, because it's the beginning ( because on some maps, that's just how long it takes to get to the gambit area- and there isn't much complicated stuff happening yet ). I can see rounds 3-6, taking much more time, because that's when the majority of the rolling and calculating, talking etc., takes place (attack and saves-and especially a swarm grenade squad will invoke a "crap load" of save rolls, and also what if the dudes saving have free re-rolls, Force, and Master of the Force abilities-which causes the player with the high activations have a longer round, because his opponent is taking some of his time rolling saves). So another factor is the map. Some maps you can get to gambit in rnd 1, and some it could possibly be rnd 2 or 3. I think that it's a judges responsibility to set the tone from the beginning of the tourney. Announce that slow play won't be tolerated, and even go as far to say the specific minutes allowed per person each phase ( you have to be specific-but be practical and fair ). The other thing is this. Some guys play super FAST, which shouldn't penalize the guy that doesn't want to play/can't think as fast as the fast player. Which also raises another good point. If I have Dodonna, San Hill, or Ozzel ( there are others I know ), these players have the luxury of activating 1, which is half the time it takes their opponent, which leaves them with more time at the end to activate the rest of their entire squad..............HOW do you measure that in time? They could have to activate, literally their entire squad while the opponent is watching them mercilessly maneuver all their guys/killing their guys, with attacking, and activating special abilities. There has to be a fair balance in this case, because even though they have tempo control, they have to to be given reasonable time to move their squad, not rushing them to move their entire squad in just a few minutes. So, if they take a total of 30 seconds to move half their squad ( their activation time alone ), then their opponent activates their entire squad, there must be given reasonable time to activate the rest of their squad, and the "impatient" player needs to take a chill pill, before reporting the "slow" play. This player should be given more than the usual "per phase" time, because, he took very little time in the beginning of the round, activating only one, per phase. The other important factor is this.........................the judge has to be impartial, non-"judge"mental, and MUST, see the slow play first hand, and not automatically give a slow play warning, on just the word of the impatient player, that may think that their fast play, means that his/her opponent has to play at their same pace. Now if the judge witnesses it first hand, than by all means, WARN, the slow player. The other problem is this. People can be really "sneaky", and play fast throughout the entire match, then all the sudden, become a "slooowwww" player, conveniently at the end of the match, delaying, so that they can pull out the victory.

Anyways, slow play is a delicate, and difficult thing to fairly judge on, especially with a complicated game with many different factors and variables, and different varying types of players and their varying personalities, that can potentially cause "issues", when all squads vary, especially with all the varying different complex squads, that can cause or bring up a lot of grey areas, which can be interpreted in different ways.

gholli69
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 10:59:40 AM

Another factor to consider might be how well the person being accused of slow play knows their opponents squad. Yes, it is a good idea to know your own squad and should be able to make decisions quickly about what you want to do based on your abilities, sometimes if you are playing against someone who is running a squad you are unfamiliar with or that is complex in the ways that they can respond to your actions, then it may take a little longer to think through some moves as well.
donnyrides
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 11:43:40 AM

I don't play tournaments for this reason. I like to think out my moves and make the best choice. I also don't like playing timed chess. I like to have a few beers with my buddy charlamange1st and have a well thought out match.

This style doesn't quite fit in a tournament setting so well. My games take about 1hr45min to 2hrs and I'm cool with that.

I guess the point of this thread is "don't play in regionals unless you are willing to adjust to speed."

maybe a suggestion if this is a problem is to add a chess timer to the games with 30 minutes on each side. assess some kind of point penalty for going past your time.

example: 5 point per minute over maxing at 25 points and going longer than 10 extra minutes forfeits the match. Maybe people will play with The Father every match then so they only have 3 acts. BigGrin
jak
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 12:10:33 PM

donnyrides wrote:
I like to have a few beersBlooMilk ......................... and have a well thought out match.

BigGrin

doesn't having a few brews interfere with a well thought matchLOL

for a real challenge, try drinking Captain Morgan Private Stock and play minis at GenConWink

I agree slow play drives me karkin' nuts!
my 1st Champ match @ GC in '12 vs Timmer, we got in 7 rounds, and the whole game he was saying we had to go faster.

that same year at Kokomo my 1st game got in 3 rounds, my opponent saw what my Echanis could do(+15 for 30 dmg x4 attacks) that he was paralyzed by fear, and ssllooww played like a 1 legged turtle on Quaaludes.

I think a minimum of 6 rounds per game should be a tourny ruleThumpUp
leshippy
Posted: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 4:56:05 AM

Having played a 20 to 30 activation squads in the past with San. I can tell you that spinning a mouse only takes a second. With the nine figures of an opponent spinning my mice is only at most 10 seconds leaving me 4 minutes and 50 seconds to mover the rest which should be easy because my opponent isn't moving. Yes I get that you have to think about what he might do the next round, but 5 minutes should still be plenty of time. because in the 20-30 activation squad only at most 10 are going to be actually doing stuff. It is really pretty easy. people just make it harder then it actually is.
donnyrides
Posted: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 5:23:21 AM

how much time does evade and parry and in NR double evade/parry add? I guess just saves in general. When you have double twin and the enemy doesn't have a save for anything, that takes about 10 seconds. When they have evade it takes about 2 minutes. This adds up fast I'm sure.

To me 1 hour feels like lightning fast, especially on Vassal. You guys must really know your stuff to have a knowledge of every piece and it's combos. I would think that a lot of rules would get missed.

Like "oh I forgot I had force cloak" or "oh you shouldn't have been able to target him because of XYZ"

how often does this happen at tourneys?
kobayashimaru
Posted: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 8:26:46 AM

yeah, a lot of tournament folks
have been calling for this to be elevated from floor rules to game-level sportspersonship for years,
so it's great to hear this being addressed.
I get it - site rental has a firm deadline,
and there's setup, packup and often its at a convention so
you've got hours of travel ahead of you...
that's why tournaments have to run like a well-oiled machine, on time hehe.
So, from that point of view, slow play is exceedingly selfish and ruins the fun for everyone hehe.

In Go, Chess, and every other competitive boardgame tourney you can think of,
theres a 'shot clock' - you're on the clock. no draws, no adjudications pauses etc,
just, a 30mins per side clock.

I know some folks are masters of the slow play - separatist and paratus or zann consortium mirror squads,
lobot squads, and swap squads at half health are notorious for slow play.
but, it ain't fun, and 9/10, it doesn't change the actual outcome.
you'll meet that one lucky squad that's all autodamage or Vong... and no amount of slowplay will defeat that.

in trying to balance for the meta,
you're vulnerable to their kitsch theme squad hehe. BigGrin
that's the tournament though...

I'm also going to say - Dynamic Duos has not once had an issue of slow-play, at tournaments locally, ever that I can recall.
no gambit means no TKO crud, there might be a fibonnacci 'siamese fighting fish circling",
but that's a round or two at most... BigGrin
Darth_Jim
Posted: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 6:55:41 PM

When you have a high amount of activations in this game, you are just spinning many of them. You have a smaller number of attack pieces, and a strategy of outactivating your opponent and then attacking. Like Les said, you need to know your squad. In a more general sense, know your strategy. If you have the activation advantage, then you spin until your opponent is out. Setup is the key there, not movement. Look for keys in your opponent's squad, and until you see them come into play, you don't need to waste game time contemplating moves. What will it take for him to get to you? An open door? A movement breaker activated? A swap piece moved into position? Until then, use your opponent's turn to study the board and try and ascertain what he...or you...need to do. When it's your turn, if you are still spinning, spin quickly and don't give him time to think.

When you are down activations, or playing a squad where that isn't an issue at all, dictate play. Take the fight to your opponent. If he is using tempo control, take advantage that he can only activate 1 while you activate 2. Open a door and shoot/attack. Open up a second front and fork him. Take him out of his game. As with the activation advantage, use your opponent's turn to think so when it is yours you already know what to do and do it.

Sometimes a squad just can't overcome an activation advantage without a little luck. If that is the case, just go for it. Maybe pressing the attack can force your opponent to make a mistake.

Slow play is so unnecessary. The best players play fast. Anyone who has seen Echo play knows exactly what I mean. In 2011 I saw him win a regional going 6-0, all 3pt wins.
Lou
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 2:23:02 AM

I did not know my squad or map before the Indiana Regional (Brian made my squad) I had 20 activations with Dodanna and most of my games finished within 30-45 minutes Lillian and myself played 15 rounds and finished the game. Randy and Myself played a 15-20 minute game. Its not as hard as people think it is.
Darth_Jim
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 3:28:18 PM

Lou wrote:
I did not know my squad or map before the Indiana Regional (Brian made my squad) I had 20 activations with Dodanna and most of my games finished within 30-45 minutes Lillian and myself played 15 rounds and finished the game. Randy and Myself played a 15-20 minute game. Its not as hard as people think it is.

Lou once played 2 people at the same time at GenCon, winning both games and finishing in under an hour.
Echo24
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 4:00:47 PM

Actually Jim I went 7-0 in that Regional, all 3 point wins. Jason and Graham B. are the only others to score 21 points in a tournament. But who's counting?

I will say that the game has been getting more complex mechanically as time has gone on, possibly too much so. The major tournament players can usually keep up with it, sure, but any new or just slightly less-active players might have trouble just because even if they know their own squad inside and out, their opponents might be unknown and complex. As a high level player it's easy to just say "get good, play quick", and to a certain degree there is a general philosophy of playing more quickly that needs to be adopted by more players, but I do sympathize with people that have trouble with the 1 hour time limit. That's why in my post above and when I judge the important thing is that the player is clearly TRYING to finish the game in 1 hour (again, where finishing means somebody getting 200 points).
Darth_Jim
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 6:10:27 PM

Echo24 wrote:
but I do sympathize with people that have trouble with the 1 hour time limit. That's why in my post above and when I judge the important thing is that the player is clearly TRYING to finish the game in 1 hour (again, where finishing means somebody getting 200 points).

I agree. I'm not concerned as much with the actual completion as with the attempt. However, playing deliberately and laboring over most moves will not win games. It just puts more pressure on you. I have never called slow play on anyone...the only way I'd do that is if I thought they were stalling...but I will definitely try and get into their head by playing even more quickly on my own turns than usual. Give me time to study you and the game while you are agonizing over moves and I'll use it to my advantage.
Echo24
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 6:25:51 PM

That's definitely true. If you can get comfortable playing faster, you'll also start playing better.
Gizmotronx
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 5:22:18 AM

Echo24 wrote:
I will say that the game has been getting more complex mechanically as time has gone on, possibly too much so. The major tournament players can usually keep up with it, sure, but any new or just slightly less-active players might have trouble just because even if they know their own squad inside and out, their opponents might be unknown and complex. As a high level player it's easy to just say "get good, play quick", and to a certain degree there is a general philosophy of playing more quickly that needs to be adopted by more players, but I do sympathize with people that have trouble with the 1 hour time limit.

Thanks for that point Echo. That is the only reason I didn't attend the Indiana regional. It is pretty clear to me that the game is infinitely more complex after v-sets than it was with just WotC and I have no chance of ever competing because I can't commit the time to learning that others already have and/or can. And the more time that goes on, the higher the bar to entry gets.
Echo24
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 6:25:28 AM

Gizmotronx wrote:
Echo24 wrote:
I will say that the game has been getting more complex mechanically as time has gone on, possibly too much so. The major tournament players can usually keep up with it, sure, but any new or just slightly less-active players might have trouble just because even if they know their own squad inside and out, their opponents might be unknown and complex. As a high level player it's easy to just say "get good, play quick", and to a certain degree there is a general philosophy of playing more quickly that needs to be adopted by more players, but I do sympathize with people that have trouble with the 1 hour time limit.

Thanks for that point Echo. That is the only reason I didn't attend the Indiana regional. It is pretty clear to me that the game is infinitely more complex after v-sets than it was with just WotC and I have no chance of ever competing because I can't commit the time to learning that others already have and/or can. And the more time that goes on, the higher the bar to entry gets.

It's a real and unfortunate problem. WotC made around 700 unique sets of stats, and the vast majority were fairly simple and most were pretty crappy and don't get played.

In the V-sets we have released 778 sets of stats (not including Epics) and are now releasing 36 new ones every 6 months. So just based on number alone we've over doubled the size of the game already. Then consider the fact that there are exceptionally few worthless pieces made in the V-sets (which is by design, unlike WotC we have no incentive to pad sets with filler) and we are pushing the design space a lot more than WotC ever did, which adds to complexity.

It's definitely a problem. The game is really complex and I believe overly difficult for new players to get into. It's a very hard problem to fix at this point, though. We probably should have thought about it back in 2010 and built in some safeguards (like rotating sets or smaller set sizes from the start or just being more mindful of complexity), but nobody had any experience doing anything like this before so we've been learning as we go.

This has definitely veered off on a tangent, but I just wanted to say that I totally get where you're coming from. I don't know the best solution. Maybe you and your friends could slowly introduce the V-sets into your games one at a time, from the beginning. Assuming you have a good grasp on the WotC game, add in Destiny of the Force. Once you've got a good idea how most of those pieces work and how squads with them play, add Renegades and Rogues, and so on. That way you still get some new variety to the game and don't just play the same old WotC stuff again and again, but you don't get overwhelmed with new stuff.
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 7:18:52 AM

Agree with a lot of what Echo said above. Just a very specific point -

Echo24 wrote:

WotC made around 700 unique sets of stats . . .
In the V-sets we have released 778 sets of stats (not including Epics)

WotC released 790 (not including reprints of identical stats)

So it will be Set 14 (released after GenCon this year) that officially takes us over the number that WotC did. ThumbsUp

(His point remains valid)
Lou
Posted: Saturday, April 29, 2017 3:03:21 AM

I also played James 2 time in an hour at the Chicago regional changing squads in between the first and second game and neither of us had played the others squad ever.