RegisterDonateLogin

Jabba has no time for smugglers who drop their Bloo Milk at the first sign of an Imperial cruiser.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

After Gen Con Events Options
Caedus
Posted: Wednesday, June 7, 2017 6:47:02 PM
Groups: Member

After all the hustle and bustle of Gen Con has passed, I was going to run a few Vassal events this fall. Some of the Ideas I had were, 100pt construct, 150 pt construct, a 200pt Melee only, and last but not least, a 500 pt Epic. Let me know what you all think and who would be interested.
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, June 7, 2017 11:22:19 PM

Caedus wrote:
After all the hustle and bustle of Gen Con has passed, I was going to run a few Vassal events this fall. Some of the Ideas I had were, 100pt construct, 150 pt construct, a 200pt Melee only, and last but not least, a 500 pt Epic. Let me know what you all think and who would be interested.

First - let me commend you for stepping up and starting these conversations and making these plans. Sincerely - I appreciate it.

It's guys like Shawn that keep events happening!

It's not that it's hard - you can do it too! But Shawn still deserves credit for actually DOING it!

As to my specific response to the suggested formats ---->

I might be interested in the first 2 (100 and 150). In the past it has been that the lower point levels dramatically restrict the meta, and we've tried to do these and 1/2 the entries have the same squad. But, it's been years, and I have not even really thought about where the 100/150pt meta is now (has anybody?) and who knows!?! It could be wide open! I am curious just to see!

Maybe 200pt melee, but that tends not to be my cup of tea, but it is still minis.

I personally am really not a fan of Epic. I tend to find that there is always an abusive broken combo that makes it not fun for most players. I have been the one playing that combo on numerous occasions, and I have also been victim to it once. It really takes a lot of effort to try to get enough rules to root all that out, and I have no idea with the latest Epics (set III). Confession - I haven't even looked at them.

That said - if there was ample thought given to avoiding such broken-ness (25pt gambit, No act control, Bastila's ABM ends at the end of the round, etc) then I'd probably do it anyway.
Caedus
Posted: Thursday, June 8, 2017 6:56:50 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Caedus wrote:

First - let me commend you for stepping up and starting these conversations and making these plans. Sincerely - I appreciate it.

It's guys like Shawn that keep events happening!

It's not that it's hard - you can do it too! But Shawn still deserves credit for actually DOING it!

As to my specific response to the suggested formats ---->

I might be interested in the first 2 (100 and 150). In the past it has been that the lower point levels dramatically restrict the meta, and we've tried to do these and 1/2 the entries have the same squad. But, it's been years, and I have not even really thought about where the 100/150pt meta is now (has anybody?) and who knows!?! It could be wide open! I am curious just to see!

Maybe 200pt melee, but that tends not to be my cup of tea, but it is still minis.

I personally am really not a fan of Epic. I tend to find that there is always an abusive broken combo that makes it not fun for most players. I have been the one playing that combo on numerous occasions, and I have also been victim to it once. It really takes a lot of effort to try to get enough rules to root all that out, and I have no idea with the latest Epics (set III). Confession - I haven't even looked at them.

That said - if there was ample thought given to avoiding such broken-ness (25pt gambit, No act control, Bastila's ABM ends at the end of the round, etc) then I'd probably do it anyway.

Awesome! I will keep it all in mind. As for Epic, I have seen some rules out there and I want to make it fun if we do it.
Naarkon
Posted: Thursday, June 8, 2017 7:01:25 AM

Didn't see this when I started my own thread. I would be interested in participating or organizing whatever format we decide on.
shmi15
Posted: Thursday, June 8, 2017 7:03:29 AM

As long as I can get an updated version of Vassal, I would be interested in a few of them. Thoughts on having a "Theme" Tournament? Put restrictions on squad building like must contain X number of themed characters, or Only CE from these characters work. Something unique to encourage a themed one.

But I would do the 200 melee. Possibly the 500 Epic. And either the 100 or 150. And then of course the Theme squad if anyone else is interested in it.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, June 8, 2017 7:10:57 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

This is well after GenCon, but I'm planning to host another Happy Old Year Tournament. Tentatively Friday December 29th, but might move to Saturday. Last year I used pre-constructed squads, but the exact format for this year won't be determined for a while.
spryguy1981
Posted: Thursday, June 8, 2017 12:06:54 PM

Epic 500 would be amazing. With the rules in place now, there is no tempo, gambit is 25pts, Bastila's ABM only works on the turn it was used, max 16 acts that includes reserves/reinforcements, must have 1 Epic no more no less.
urbanjedi
Posted: Thursday, June 8, 2017 12:16:19 PM

yes please. more events.
urbanjedi
Posted: Thursday, June 8, 2017 12:19:03 PM

Epic figure is the only figure who can score Gambit. Gambit worth 50 pts. Must have exactly one Epic figure in your squad. 16 Activations Maximum (cannot go over 16 figures with reserves or reinforcements). Commander Effects or Special Abilities that allow you to move less than the normal amount of characters will be ignored. Advanced Battle Meditation will end at the end of each round (instead of until the character next activates). There will be no limit on the number of Commander Effects in your squad.

These are the rules that have been used at gencon the last couple of years.
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, June 8, 2017 12:45:38 PM

Epic -

Is Gambit 50 or 25? BIG DIFFERENCE. I've abused the crap out of 50pt gambit in the past. Especially with the far-too-little time limit for a 500pt game.

Also - Spy (on Mara) needs to be addressed. It is very abusive. (done it)

Also - time limit - games never finish in time (understandably), which is lame. With a VASSAL tournament - time should be extended. Then I'd be much more interested. Time constraints in a single day event makes this impractical. But in a Vassal event it could be done properly!
jen'ari
Posted: Thursday, June 8, 2017 1:51:06 PM

I would love 200 pt all melee!! NO VONG!! please

I would love the theme tournament as well.

Epic is fun as well but like always I do not know how many I can play in.

FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, June 8, 2017 2:14:38 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I'd welcome a 2013 top 10 tournament. Luke's Art Class won GenCon but there was no consensus on the to Swiss at the time. 8 very different squads made top 8, and two others had done very well during regionals. Hand out only those ten squads... multiple copies if necessary.
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, June 8, 2017 9:46:01 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
I'd welcome a 2013 top 10 tournament. Luke's Art Class won GenCon but there was no consensus on the to Swiss at the time. 8 very different squads made top 8, and two others had done very well during regionals. Hand out only those ten squads... multiple copies if necessary.

Agh - so I can relive my failure again?

I was outplayed in the finals. He had a really clever build and it caught many people (myself included) off guard. And he played it really well.

I think if someone who knew what they were doing ran NPE Extreme, it should win.

I guess I would like a rematch . . .

That aside - it really was the golden age of minis. 8 vastly different builds in 7 factions in the GenCon finals. Meta variety took a steep nosedive after that and hasn't quite recovered still.

Still, meta variety has never been as bad as it was while WotC ran the show.

shmi15
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2017 8:05:12 AM

Lets set a tournament date! With a different tournament structure. I vote for a 100/125 point No act control!
Caedus
Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2017 8:30:45 AM

I will be posting an event soon. It will most likely start OCT 1st. Stay tuned for details
jen'ari
Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2017 9:43:35 AM

My vote is fantastic four or 200 all melee no vong
shmi15
Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2017 11:28:50 AM

Caedus wrote:
I will be posting an event soon. It will most likely start OCT 1st. Stay tuned for details

What all options are you considering? Maybe put a poll up to see who would play what formats?
spryguy1981
Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2017 1:26:46 PM

I still want to see Epic 500 played so that we can use the Epic III set.
Naarkon
Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2017 3:09:08 PM

I will be running a standard 200 point competitive vassal event so people can try out the new pieces (or old ones) in a regional-type environment. I am now accepting input on when a good start time is and how fast it should be run (time for each round).
jen'ari
Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2017 3:12:46 PM

Naarkon, I played in the TN vassal tournament which was 200 competitive on the first page is the information used by shmi and it seemed to work really well.
http://www.bloomilk.com/Forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=20733