RegisterDonateLogin

Bloo or Bloo Milk, there is no try.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

any more ideas for the balance committee? Options
gholli69
Posted: Friday, June 23, 2017 5:13:04 PM
Groups: Member

Dodonna doesn't have a partner that strong, so maybe the problem isn't ozzel at all, maybe it's Thrawn that is the real problem! Good luck getting Thrawn smacked with the ban hammer though. I also think VOL and 100 pnt. Palps is a very good squad that can do very well in a tournament as long as they don't run into Marn, just my opinion but I did finish third at the Indiana Regional this year with a Vol/ Sid squad and would probably have beaten a Dalaa/scout/ diplomat squad in the semifinals if I hadn't made a disastrous positioning error with VOL that saw him get walled in by diplomats. There are other squad types in Imperials to play besides outact and smash, and yes Thrawn and ozzel is annoying to play against, but I enjoy trying to build squads that can deal with a variety of things so that even when faced with an NPE I still have a chance to win the game. I for one certainly don't think Ozzel, Dodonna, or San needs banned.
jen'ari
Posted: Friday, June 23, 2017 5:26:33 PM

Well drop ozzel and booming voice and thrawn is fine.
I don't know if 100 point sids and vol is competitive. More like tier 1.5. I have played it as well it just does not have enough tech things to get it done.
jen'ari
Posted: Friday, June 23, 2017 5:34:30 PM

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/176317/i-will-finish-what-you-started--no-ozzel-

About as good as I can see for imperial without ozzel. And that build looks fun
jen'ari
Posted: Saturday, June 24, 2017 8:23:52 PM

Is there a forum that has ll the regional and gencon winners and finalists in it?

If not, is there a place I can go to find them? Would love to have that info handy so it is easy to see patterns and things.
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, June 25, 2017 6:35:00 AM

jen'ari wrote:
Is there a forum that has ll the regional and gencon winners and finalists in it?

If not, is there a place I can go to find them? Would love to have that info handy so it is easy to see patterns and things.

Not a hard list. You'd have to dig through each thread - it would be pretty labor intensive. But I'd love to see it if a list were made!

Regardless, I'm not sure much of a pattern will form, other than Jason winning. And he has played an impressive variety of squad types the last few years.

The meta is crazy open right now.
jen'ari
Posted: Sunday, June 25, 2017 6:38:02 AM

Ok, I can actually work on it this week.
What names am I looking for?
Has the regional names changes at all?

I will include vassal tournies, regionals, gencon, frostycon.

Any others I should be looking for?
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, June 25, 2017 6:43:45 AM

jen'ari wrote:
Ok, I can actually work on it this week.
What names am I looking for?
Has the regional names changes at all?

I will include vassal tournies, regionals, gencon, frostycon.

Any others I should be looking for?

Those are the biggies. There was the K-town challenge this year too, but it was small.

There might be more info overall on the FB group
DarthMaim
Posted: Sunday, June 25, 2017 9:29:58 AM

jen'ari wrote:
TheHutts wrote:
jen'ari wrote:

Admiral Ozzel

Why Ozzel and not Dodonna or San Hill? I agree that Imps are stronger than the others as an overall faction at the moment.

Ozzel seems to be the one that is abused.
He is also the one that creates a a whole faction specific style of play.

Dodonna is in rebels and NR and their are lots of different options to play other than out activate.

San Hill is the same way.

If you nerf/get rid of Ozzel you, by design, nerf the Thrawn swap.
The main point of singling out Ozzel is twofold

1) he dominates the faction
2) he creates an NPE for LOTS of people.

The existence of Thrawn and San Hill massively hurts creative design in Imperials. This is why Imperials is such a dull faction. What is fun in Imperials?? A faction with Vader and Palps and Starkiller and all sorts of awesomeness is dull because of that combo. What can be done? You cannot make great shooters, any power piece has to be nerfed (VoL) or cost too much to care that much 71 (Lord Vader).

P.S. that combo also hurts design in Fringe as well.

If others started to abuse Dodonna and San Hill I would say the same thing than as well. I made a squad called Kaio-Ken x 10 that I think could be abused using Dodonna.

Dodonna in with the Wisconsin Regional win. Which by the way, if you do the research that you were talking about in a different thread, Dodonna has won regionals before, and, most importantly, at GenCon, most recently last year with Trevor's squad. Sure let's attack the Imps, ban Ozzel, and take away one the the strong counters to Dodonna. Isn't Dodonna about outactivating your opponent? How is this different than what Dodonna does for 2 factions? By the way, in 13 yrs that this game has been played, I haven't ever heard cries about banning Ozzel. Sorry dude, your argument doesn't make sense to me Confused
jen'ari
Posted: Sunday, June 25, 2017 12:38:56 PM

Darthmaim you are making a good point.
Maybe act control dominates every faction it is in. I am trying my best to make competitive squads in factions that have easy access to act control and every time there act control squad wins.

So on that end, I do think that dodonna and San hill dominate the faction.

I still am at odds if dodonna is a mass NPE it seems like the games he plays are still fun.

I am going to try and look through all the old regionals and things to compile a mass list
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, June 25, 2017 1:09:07 PM

jen'ari wrote:
Maybe act control dominates every faction it is in. I am trying my best to make competitive squads in factions that have easy access to act control and every time there act control squad wins.

So on that end, I do think that dodonna and San hill sonicate the faction.

I still am at odds if dodonna is a mass NPE it seems like the games he plays are still fun.

I am going to try and look through all the old regionals and things to compile a mass list

I used to do threads back in the day, here's 2012: http://www.bloomilk.com/Forums/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=10891&p=1

Dodonna/Princess Leia also won GenCon three years in a row (2008, 2009, 2010).

jen'ari
Posted: Sunday, June 25, 2017 1:11:58 PM

TheHutts wrote:
jen'ari wrote:

So on that end, I do think that dodonna and San hill sonicate the faction.

I used to do threads back in the day, here's 2012: http://www.bloomilk.com/Forums/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=10891&p=1

Dodonna/Princess Leia also won GenCon three years in a row (2008, 2009, 2010).

well that is a wonderful thing. I think we should, as a community, try to keep that up in a sticky/pinned thread somewhere.
It will be fun to go back and look at it sometimes as well.

Is top 4 the general rule? or should we just do finalists?

TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, June 25, 2017 1:39:28 PM

I did top 4 because it was my thread and I felt like it basically. There's 2013 data here: http://www.bloomilk.com/forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=12454

Might be some other threads too.