RegisterDonateLogin

Also removes carbon scoring.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Who keeps up with the new material? Options
shmi15
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 9:39:09 AM
Groups: Member

I just finished the new Phasma book, and I was just wondering, who else, if anyone, reads all the new books. I'm especially curious about how many of the designers keep up with new material. I know we can all Wookipedia anything nowadays, but I'm just curious who actually reads/watches it. I would love to see some discussion about those somewhere.

Just to get the ball rolling on what I'm asking, these are the things I have read/watched

WATCHED

Clone Wars Animated TV Series
Rebels Animated TV Series
Rogue One
The Force Awakens
The Original Trilogy
The Prequel Trilogy

READ

Ahsoka
Dark Disciple
Catalyst, A Rogue One Novel
Lords of The Sith
Thrawn
The Aftermath Trilogy (Aftermath, Life's Debt, and Empires End)
Phasma
Vader Comics
Star Wars Comics
Lando Comics
Leia Comics
Kanaan Comics

jen'ari
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 10:55:24 AM

I have watched all those plus the Christmas Special

But as of yet I have only read comics :(

I have read lots of Legend books but no new ones, so that is actually sad to me.

Which book should I start with?
shmi15
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 11:09:57 AM

jen'ari wrote:
I have watched all those plus the Christmas Special

But as of yet I have only read comics :(

I have read lots of Legend books but no new ones, so that is actually sad to me.

Which book should I start with?

AfterMath Trilogy has been the best multi book series..

Thrawn is great, because it was written by Timothy Zahne, the original creator or Thrawn. And there is another Thrawn book coming out by him next year.

Lords of the Sith I think you would like, because its about Vader being a Sith Lord, lol.

The worst one has been Ahsoka, but it was a junior novel.

All the others have their highs and lows. But the AfterMath hints at a lot of things that are really awesome, and the mystery of Snoke in it is awesome.
shmi15
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2017 11:51:00 AM

BUMP
General_Grievous
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2017 12:03:32 PM

To be honest I had read every single novel from the old canon and then when they went all Legends on us I didn't bother to get into the new stuff. My logic is it too might one day be wiped out. I did read Dark Disciple for Clone Wars closure (loved that show, did you know there was concept art for Yuuzhan Vong and they would have had an arc in a future season, man killed before it's time)

I love Rebels though! Great show
jak
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2017 3:19:39 PM

I read everything Star Wars, the library serves up.
comics included.

watch ALL the shows, even the LEGO Star Wars animated stuff.ThumbsUp
shmi15
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2017 3:53:48 PM

jak wrote:
I read everything Star Wars, the library serves up.
comics included.

watch ALL the shows, even the LEGO Star Wars animated stuff.ThumbsUp

Thats good to hear. So no designers want to chime in on their up to date readings?
shmi15
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2017 3:54:34 PM

General_Grievous wrote:
To be honest I had read every single novel from the old canon and then when they went all Legends on us I didn't bother to get into the new stuff. My logic is it too might one day be wiped out. I did read Dark Disciple for Clone Wars closure (loved that show, did you know there was concept art for Yuuzhan Vong and they would have had an arc in a future season, man killed before it's time)

I love Rebels though! Great show

And I am very thankful they were nothing more than concept art! Flapper
Lord_Ball
Posted: Thursday, October 19, 2017 8:47:45 AM

I haven't really kept up with the new stuff too much, but Phasma always struck me as having potential to be a really interesting character so I picked up the Phasma Audiobook and have been listening to that... I can officially say that as of chapter 17 I am sorely disappointed...

I'm hoping that by the end it can be spun in a way to be more or less a propaganda story to rout out Phasma's enemies.
shmi15
Posted: Thursday, October 19, 2017 11:05:11 AM

Lord_Ball wrote:
I haven't really kept up with the new stuff too much, but Phasma always struck me as having potential to be a really interesting character so I picked up the Phasma Audiobook and have been listening to that... I can officially say that as of chapter 17 I am sorely disappointed...

I'm hoping that by the end it can be spun in a way to be more or less a propaganda story to rout out Phasma's enemies.

Let me know when you finish it so we can talk about it! I just finished it recently, and haven't had anyone to talk about this stuff with! Have you read the AfterMath series? Its really good, but the best book so far has been Thrawn.
Lord_Ball
Posted: Thursday, October 19, 2017 11:16:59 AM

I have not read the Aftermath series, depending on how the Phasma book goes I might see about the other stuff. As I said so far the book is really ruining the character for me, turning her from something that could have been cool and interesting into something equivalent to a very skilled but scared little girl.
shmi15
Posted: Thursday, October 19, 2017 11:55:52 AM

Lord_Ball wrote:
I have not read the Aftermath series, depending on how the Phasma book goes I might see about the other stuff. As I said so far the book is really ruining the character for me, turning her from something that could have been cool and interesting into something equivalent to a very skilled but scared little girl.

I never got the impression she was scared in the book? I got the impression she was ruthless, with no conscious as long as she ended up on top.
Lord_Ball
Posted: Thursday, October 19, 2017 12:41:53 PM

The problem with that isn't in the book it's the Shield scene in Force Awakens - She's Ruthless and seeks to protect her people, but them without any sort of real defiance she lowers the shield - hence my impression (so far).
Lord_Ball
Posted: Monday, November 6, 2017 6:26:11 AM

shmi15 wrote:
Lord_Ball wrote:

Let me know when you finish it so we can talk about it!

Finally was able to finish it! Unfortunately it ruined the character for me completely :(

It turned what had the potential of being a really interesting and deep character into the Randy Moss of Star Wars...
shmi15
Posted: Monday, November 6, 2017 8:16:13 AM

Lord_Ball wrote:
shmi15 wrote:
Lord_Ball wrote:

Let me know when you finish it so we can talk about it!

Finally was able to finish it! Unfortunately it ruined the character for me completely :(

It turned what had the potential of being a really interesting and deep character into the Randy Moss of Star Wars...

Haha, Randy Moss of Star Wars, thats funny. I do agree with that. I don't think the book did anything for her character, it does give a backstory, and a few other things. I honestly think the most interesting part of the book is the mention of Jakku. And I am gonna predict that somehow Phasma finds out that the First Order was responsible for her planets destruction, or the Empire, which ever, and turns sides again and joins the Resistance.

I do think the Phasma book may be the most disappointing. I still recommend the Thrawn book. Its really good. As is the Aftermath Series. The precursor to Rogue One is good for what it is. And Lords of the Sith, and Dark Disciple are cool back story books. Lords of the Sith have some of the most epic Sith Lord scenes compared to anything else.

I think the issue with the new stuff, is its hard to compare anything to the old stuff. Because it was fan fiction. Fan fiction is always better than what actually gets produced. But the TV show Rebels has been amazing. And the newest season has been well worth the wait. I really hope we get more Minis based off this show. Because it deserves it.