RegisterDonateLogin

Finding this site was the will of the Force, I have no doubt about that.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Last Call ... surf_rider56's Customs Options
General_Grievous
Posted: Tuesday, September 5, 2017 9:13:13 AM
Groups: Member

Crazy powerful Oteg, I'm not sure how I feel about suppressing and being activation control though. What about suppressing enemy activation control while having rapport for force users? Either way he is quite the power 10 piece. And max is hilarious. Would be funny to have the us elephant running around
surf_rider56
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 1:55:50 PM

General_Grievous wrote:
Crazy powerful Oteg, I'm not sure how I feel about suppressing and being activation control though. What about suppressing enemy activation control while having rapport for force users? Either way he is quite the power 10 piece. And max is hilarious. Would be funny to have the us elephant running around

Ment to make Oteg a power piece. Didn't he defeat the stronger Sith fleet??

...and Max is .... Max!
surf_rider56
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 1:57:55 PM

So, the two oldest grandkids are over Saturday night and the 8 year old wants to see Rogue One on Netflix. I starting/stopped the movie and explaining things as we go because he has lots of questions (yes he’s actually seen the other movies and knows IV – VI came out years before I-III ... And the story plots.)

Long/short of it is since I just did Imperials from Rogue One, I thought I’d do Saw Guerra’s Militia. I released an older Saw about a month ago and thought I’d do these.

As usual, my ideas alone, all my fault. But as Saw said “Keep the Dream Alive.” Comments welcome.

Tognath Partisan There was quite the lively discussion over Collateral Damage, and here’s where it gets disseminated out to the Partisans.

Saw Guerra's Militia The typical militia grunt of the Partisans. He’s more expensive than I’d like, but even slightly aggressively costed he’s still 17 points. Still, he’s got Imperial Hunter and Stealth ….

Talpini Partisan The little was supposed to be an expert explosives and sniper expert so he’s more expensive (I could have made several of these unique but decided not to.) Still, he’s still a fun little piece.

Gigoran Extremist The big guy costs the most, but he hits hard if he can get the shot off. Not sure of his survivability but then again they all have self destruct.

Between fishing, going to the Rams/Colts game and grandkids I’m surprised I squeezed these in this weekend. Try not to throw big rocks at me; the wife would appreciate it.

Cheers,

surf
General_Grievous
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 2:38:24 PM

They all look pretty good as far as sub-faction material goes. Only thing I would do right off the bat is mix up the flavor text/quotes a bit haha
I think self-destruct is very fitting for all of them
Not sure how I feel about the CE though, targeting allies always seems weird to me. So can you target an ally if there is an enemy closer and in the way, if yes then can you target any ally at all? What about allies with super stealth? Or in a team game? I think I would have liked handing out Self-destruct sequence or ambush more. Or even one that CE where you can grant an ally a free turn then remove it from play to trigger SD. Otherwise though the other three are perfect as is
surf_rider56
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2017 9:44:18 AM

General_Grievous wrote:
They all look pretty good as far as sub-faction material goes. Only thing I would do right off the bat is mix up the flavor text/quotes a bit haha
I think self-destruct is very fitting for all of them
Not sure how I feel about the CE though, targeting allies always seems weird to me. So can you target an ally if there is an enemy closer and in the way, if yes then can you target any ally at all? What about allies with super stealth? Or in a team game? I think I would have liked handing out Self-destruct sequence or ambush more. Or even one that CE where you can grant an ally a free turn then remove it from play to trigger SD. Otherwise though the other three are perfect as is

The flavor is just a Saw comment that I used more as a mantra for the partisans; the Collateral Damage already generated quite a bit of discussion so it is what it is. If I was perfect, I'd be helping the V-Setters, but I'm me so ... warts and all.
kobayashimaru
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2017 10:12:13 PM

score! some new rebel alien critters,
who're actually fairly decent, without effacing others at a similar pricepoint!
Talpini Partisan is probably my favorite. BigGrin
CorellianComedian
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2017 7:57:23 AM

That Gigoran Extremist is fantastic. I would play that piece just to get to show my opponent the card.
surf_rider56
Posted: Friday, September 22, 2017 1:24:24 PM

Creating powerful uniques the last couple of times out has left a Bad taste in my mouth, so ... back to what makes me happy, lower powered non-uniques.

First up

Harch Raider

With Trench the only Harch seen and Wook fairly silent on them, its mostly extrapolation; I gave it abilities that would describe arachnids. Its a few points higher than I'd like but I didn't want to change anything so its what it is.

Next Up

Ortolan Isolationist

After doing Max, I said what about the rest of the species. They got sold out to the Seps, but some of them must have gone along so I created this guy. Again, a point or two away from where I hoped he'd be, but it is what it is.

Comments welcome.

Cheers,

surf
kobayashimaru
Posted: Saturday, September 23, 2017 6:36:22 AM

score!
two awesome alien clone-war themed mid tier shooters.
they'll kick the pirate raiders fairly easily,
and non-synergized clone troopers

tangent time,
if I may speak freely;
I think you're too harsh on yourself surf,
general opinion on the Sing speeder of doom was quite well received,
so its a lot of fun.
surf_rider56
Posted: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 8:33:40 AM

Just some random thoughts, quirks, strangeness and charm (Points if you know what That quotes from Without looking it up. RollEyes In between grading essay’s ….. comments always welcome.

Elite Praetorian Guard Not much in Wook yet on these guys, but they were supposed to be samurai type and threatening ….. thought about acrobatic/agile but wanted to keep costs closer to 20 than 30.

Gamorrean Matron Just a whimsical piece, hen-pecked Gamoreans …. Cool

Mandalorian Master Bladesman An example of making a description fit the pic. Liked the pic, what can I do with it?

Noehon Hutt Negotiator New species pic. Had to make him a unique to prevent misuse of abilities … if that’s possible. Basically a Black Sun counter.

T8K-4ME Sort of a cross between Proxy’s Mime ability and a Droid with Con Artist. Expensive to prevent too much misuse, but an interesting idea I think.

That’s all for today. Enjoy and keep those cards, comments and letter’s coming.

Cheers,

surf
kobayashimaru
Posted: Wednesday, October 4, 2017 12:17:11 AM

Quantum physics? thoughts,
"quarks", strangeness (a property), charm (also a property).
that's my guess anyhow BigGrin

I digress
the Gamorrean Matron is hilarious, yet, could be useful for themed scenarios...
you could make those gamorreans do some decent damage!

Noehon Hutt Negotiator is awesome - that'll see some use;
It's near the niche of the TC14/protocol droid options, though doesn't outright replace them or the Muun Broker.
I like how fleshed out the Hutt Cartel has become as a 'subfaction'. Now I can have Black Sun v Hutt Cartel etc...

T8k-4Me is my favorite from this batch outright though.
TOR and KOTOR squads could use this handly little bomb.
though, it could find a home in Rebel Parratus Mirror squads...
blaster barrage would be something, but most will probably opt for flamethrower or missile.
double attack etc wouldn't be as useful, given the base 0 dmg.

Thanks for another awesome batch, Surf!
Good luck in marking season.
surf_rider56
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2017 8:37:29 AM

kobayashimaru wrote:
Quantum physics? thoughts,
"quarks", strangeness (a property), charm (also a property).
that's my guess anyhow BigGrin

I digress
the Gamorrean Matron is hilarious, yet, could be useful for themed scenarios...
you could make those gamorreans do some decent damage!

Noehon Hutt Negotiator is awesome - that'll see some use;
It's near the niche of the TC14/protocol droid options, though doesn't outright replace them or the Muun Broker.
I like how fleshed out the Hutt Cartel has become as a 'subfaction'. Now I can have Black Sun v Hutt Cartel etc...

T8k-4Me is my favorite from this batch outright though.
TOR and KOTOR squads could use this handly little bomb.
though, it could find a home in Rebel Parratus Mirror squads...
blaster barrage would be something, but most will probably opt for flamethrower or missile.
double attack etc wouldn't be as useful, given the base 0 dmg.

Thanks for another awesome batch, Surf!
Good luck in marking season.

Quark, Strangeness, and Charm = Hawkwind album, 1977 Cool

Thanks for the comments. I lke filling up niches and sub-factions, If nothing else, they're ideas I throw out there for others ... and speaking of new ideas .....
surf_rider56
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2017 8:38:12 AM

Football starts in a few hours and I have just enough time to sneak in a couple ideas I’ve been working on.

Cloud City Flight Leader I bumped into this pic; its not the best pic but it did give me an idea. The Camaradarie and CE help the WOTC Cloud City Pilot, but I’m particularly proud of Interecept. Could be quite fun BlooMilk

True Sith Ground Commander Non-unique, none-Force user Sith get no love, so I came up with this guy. A little extra Attack, a little movement, some cover, and to keep it Sith-like, Self Destruct.

Comments, spitballs, and anything else you care to throw at me are always welcome.

Cheers,

surf
surf_rider56
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2017 6:30:32 AM

.... look Mom! a Lead Balloon!
surf_rider56
Posted: Sunday, November 5, 2017 5:11:44 PM

Well, the last batch was a dud apparently, so I’m trying something new; some Mandalorians. The Wren clan. Sabine has been done, her father is still reasonably unknown, so I’m going with Mama Ursa, brother Tristan and a Wren clan fighter. I’ve followed Wook insofar as what they could do and Ursa is a Clan leader so, on with the program …..

Ursa Wren of Clan Wren Ursa has a lot going on and franly I thought she would be north of 45, but somehow came ot at 37. While has a 9 Attack and Double, that’s pretty much it for her; she more of a commander providing for her clan than being a fighter herself.

Tristan Wren Sabine’s younger brother. He’s a much less complex individual thane Sabine. When I researched him, he had the first few abilities, but what fascinated me were the Mandalorian Vambraces he had and the description of what they could do. Their powers were quite the handful so I just chose 2 of them (Shield Emitter and Repulsor) and ran with those ideas. Interesting, I think.BigGrin

Clan Wren Warrior If you have a Clan, you gotta have Clan fighters so I kept him simple.

Well, I kept it simple, and I Really need to go prepare for a playtest and a game day. Never mind a vowel, can i buy some time ……

Comments and even rocks are always welcome. Throw what you can at me,

Cheers,

surf
kobayashimaru
Posted: Monday, November 6, 2017 12:34:33 AM

intriguing stuff,
I like the 'true mandalorians', that continuity from the Battle of Galidraan to Boba, Last of the Mandalorians.
(how the sith betrayed the Mandalorians in TOR/KOTOR, and millennia later, are again betrayed by the Sith,
leading to Boba training Jaina to defeat Caedus)
needless to say, TCW's/'rebels' 3D cartoon timeline isn't square with
the K Traviss, Watson-Lucas continuity hehe.

notwithstanding, they bulk up a mandalorian faction,
so cyborgMaul, DarksaberVizlajunior etc, can have a field day.
If I was faced by that, i'd be tempted to counter with a Dark Kilogram theme squad, or a Vong/Binks squad. BlooMilk
General_Grievous
Posted: Thursday, December 7, 2017 10:25:45 AM

Much delayed commentary!

Harch raider is pretty cool, and neat to see the admiral's race in a generic form. Very appropriate triple too.

Ortoloan Isolationist, Never been a fan of separatist living non-uniques as they muddy up and detract from what should be the focus of the Confederacy: hordes of droids, but you made a simple enough cheap shooter that fits well, very defensive.

Praetorian Guard, I like it but feel like some form of armor is missing here.

The Gamorrean is.... interesting... hahaha. One of the lamest alien races in Star Wars but you did give a healthy boost to a suffering sub-set of aliens.

Mando blademaster, pretty solid too but feels pretty similar to what's already out there for mandos, not that that's a bad thing and nice that her "ce" gets around disruptive

Hutt negotiator, I'm not a huge fan of disruptive, and giving it to non-unique fringe is probably not a great idea, I would drop that and the cost a touch and then add a letter c to "sent marked" haha. Also seems like with Scent glands you wouldn't even necessarily need scent marked. I would probably drop it for simplicity as this guy is already doing a lot for his cost.

T8 is something truly genius, I do think it needs to cost slightly more, 21-22 to prevent the classic Lobot misuse. Maybe give him 10 damage and some basic attack to compensate. At first I thought it should be limited to non-uniques or replaces attacks abilities, and part of me still thinks so to prevent future abuse/design issues. But it's also super creative and could make for some fun combos.

Cloud city pilot, Intercept is a sweet themativ ability!

True Sith commander, interesting CE, so they only get Self-Destruct when he dies? How does rules interact for CEs lasting beyond death? I thought they couldn't and you may have to make it an ability but I could be wrong as well.

Ursa, I feel like she just has to much going on, handing out 4 non-disruptible things. I think clan leader is fine but maybe just make it flight. Then drop disciplined leader and give her affinity for Sabine instead. For the CE I would pick one or the other for simplicity.

Tristan is super interesting, and feels almost like a non-force force user, but again one of the siblings needs affinity for Sabine, just needs it hahaha.

Clan Wren warrior is nice and basic and feels like a better death watch raider.
surf_rider56
Posted: Sunday, January 21, 2018 11:14:22 AM

Well, the Wren Family wasn’t a hot topic; so, 10 weeks later, I’ve got something else to wave around. I did these in the span of one afternoon; well 4 of them, the Falleen has been on the backburner since I read the Plagius book a few years ago. Not my normal batch, I happened to be looking at the Bounty Hunters set and I read a comment that a few of the BH’s hadn’t had upgrades yet, so despite them being uniques, I took a shot at them. I’ve done a few others, but hadn’t tried these particular four yet.

Ayy Vida, Assassin She didn’t feel quite right, and WOTC didn’t have either Agile or Acrobatic which I felt were musts and curiously, Wook had her as an assassin, but WOTC never really used that other than the paralysis/poison.

Djas Puhr, Bounty Hunter The BH version wasn’t much. I gave him Infra & It’s a Trap to denote his heightened sense of smell, hearing and sight, Twin because he’s usually shown with two blasters. Is he worth 33 pts? Possibly not because he’s still a bit of a glass cannon, so in that regards he’s like a WOTC piece, but with the right CE’s he may be a decent shooter.

Falleen Combat Instructor I stole this straight out of the book “believe it was Plagius” where hey mentioned the Falleen CI as someone he used. My ulterior motive was I wanted someone to boost Jarael that had the Ithorian Commander’s CE but on a Fringe … shoot me I like Jarael.

Garindan, Master Spy I was actually interested in the fact that as I looked at Garindan I noticed he had roughly the same heightened senses as Djas; oh well, didn’t let that stop me. I merged the generic Kubaz with WOTC Garindan. I changed his spotter by increasing range and dropping damage from +30 to +20. Not sure about that but again, oh well.

Nym, Feeorin Pirate Nym needed an upgrade; he was Just this side of not worth it. He was a tad overpriced to start with; I added GMA and Tactician and played around with some other stuff. Hope he’s now worth it. We shall see.

Comments and even rocks are always welcome. Throw what you can at me.

Cheers,

surf
BZNintendo
Posted: Monday, January 22, 2018 11:00:21 PM

I cant see any of the customs in the beginning of the post because of photo bucket. Help
kobayashimaru
Posted: Monday, January 22, 2018 11:30:08 PM

neat stuff surf!
my favorites from this batch are Djas, Nym and Garindan hehe.

Garindan is a decent mid threat, and might make for some neat scenarios with Young Boba Fett etc.

thanks for sharing BigGrin