RegisterDonateLogin

Before the dark times...before the Empire.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

War in the North! (Alberta/Canada Regional 2018) Options
General_Grievous
Posted: Saturday, January 20, 2018 1:38:14 PM
Groups: Member

Dust off your snowshoes, prepare your dog sled teams and come out of your igloos, it's time once more to brave the Hoth-like temperatures, travel north and partake in:

WAR IN THE NORTH!

Saturday, March 3rd, 1700 hours

Address:
314-248A Grosbeak Way
Fort McMurray, Alberta

Tournament Start: 1800

200 points
SWMGPA floor rules with following changes:
-Bastilla's ABM lasts until end of current round
-Unkar Plutt is banned

Map List:
Dark Side and Light Side will be available to choose from

Swiss hour long rounds, followed by playoffs for top 4 positions, players not in playoffs can join in on an Epic Duos free-for all multiplayer deathmatch.

Head Judge: General_Grievous

Currently 8 players signed up for event and waiting to hear back from a couple more.

Contact me via bloomail on here if you have any questions.

For Reference:

Dark Side

Cloud City
Dark Academy
Outlaw City
Command Deck
Imperial Plaza

Light Side
Ravaged Base
Bothan Spynet
Simulation Deck
Modular Base
Great Library
shmi15
Posted: Saturday, January 20, 2018 6:27:23 PM

I promise I am not trying to cause an issue, and this can be deleted or moved if it needs to be. But I am just curious. Is it a regional if it doesn't follow floor rules? I just noticed in this ABM shuts off, and Unkar plutt is banned.... How does this work with Regional rules and what not? Again, I am all for the changes, and have no issue with anything, just a genuine question about how Regional rules work with each location?
General_Grievous
Posted: Saturday, January 20, 2018 9:14:18 PM

shmi15 wrote:
I promise I am not trying to cause an issue, and this can be deleted or moved if it needs to be. But I am just curious. Is it a regional if it doesn't follow floor rules? I just noticed in this ABM shuts off, and Unkar plutt is banned.... How does this work with Regional rules and what not? Again, I am all for the changes, and have no issue with anything, just a genuine question about how Regional rules work with each location?

The Bastilla one I had seen somewhere on here before I think for another regional or tournament and is where I got the idea. Unkar is just plain bad design and needs a major errata to up his cost or correct his game-breaking ability so players can have the options to bring any type of squad. Further I believe as long as rules are clearly laid out beforehand it's kosher. And finally guarantee none of us Canadian players will be able to make it south for Gencon so it's Canadian rules for us in the North to help better balance the game. If other players don't want to recognize our regional that's fine by us we'll still have fun.
jen'ari
Posted: Saturday, January 20, 2018 9:23:21 PM

Does Bastila abm still cost force 3?
urbanjedi
Posted: Saturday, January 20, 2018 10:02:27 PM

shmi15 wrote:
How does this work with Regional rules and what not?

Don't really think people really care. I know I don't. New Zealand banned Daala for a year (or more) and no one tried to call their tournies un-official, vassal uses different map lists and no one cares, etc, etc.
General_Grievous
Posted: Sunday, January 21, 2018 12:12:45 AM

jen'ari wrote:

Yep, it's still a super potent ability and shuts down things for a round but now at least the opponent can maybe get in one activation before they are nerfed for the round if they win initiative. And makes her go from auto-include to just another amazing option hahaha.
shmi15
Posted: Sunday, January 21, 2018 5:09:25 AM

urbanjedi wrote:
shmi15 wrote:
How does this work with Regional rules and what not?

Don't really think people really care. I know I don't. New Zealand banned Daala for a year (or more) and no one tried to call their tournies un-official, vassal uses different map lists and no one cares, etc, etc.

I wasn't trying to call it unofficial. I was just curious. Good to know so for the TN vassal regional we can ban Vong! This is honestly the best news ever! And I am 100% on board with your restrictions!
jen'ari
Posted: Sunday, January 21, 2018 6:18:24 AM

General_Grievous wrote:
jen'ari wrote:

Yep, it's still a super potent ability and shuts down things for a round but now at least the opponent can maybe get in one activation before they are nerfed for the round if they win initiative. And makes her go from auto-include to just another amazing option hahaha.

Or makes them use their initiative win turn to pop Bastila. Interesting because you can force the pop and than possibly retreat.
General_Grievous
Posted: Sunday, January 21, 2018 7:32:12 AM

jen'ari wrote:
General_Grievous wrote:
jen'ari wrote:

Or makes them use their initiative win turn to pop Bastila. Interesting because you can force the pop and than possibly retreat.

Exactly, makes her much more reasonable rather than auto-win against CE-dependent teams
General_Grievous
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2018 9:59:05 AM

Alright sorry for delayed results, had to reschedule the championship game.

We had 9 players, 3 brand new ones for this year and 3 that couldn't make it in the end:

Jonathan (General_Grievous): SEPS Grievous Wheelbike + New Reserves
Amanda: IMPERIAL Daala + Snowtroopers... So many snowtroopers
Daniel (Obi Dan Kenobi): REP Obikin + CS Yoda and Jedi Holocron
Zachary: OR Belth Allusis + Bastilla and Covenant Defenders
Matthew: FRINGE Xizor, Talon, Nautalon Vigo, Cad Bane, Faleen Bodyguards x2
Nathan: MANDO Jaina Solo Sword of the Jedi + Mandalore Preserver, Training Sergeant, Captain, Kelborn
Nik: IMPERIAL Lord Hethrir + Reborn Shadowtroopers
Luke: MANDO Jaster Mareel, Mandalorian Scientists x2, Mandalorian Crusaders x a lot
Veronica: SITH Sith Heavy Assault Droid x4

First round:

Seps beat Republic by literally 4 points on Bespin for a dirty 2 point win (OBIKIN IS UNKILLABLE WITH YODA!)

Fringe beat Sith 2 point win

OR beat Mandalorian Swarm 2 point win

Mando Jaina beat Imperial Reborn 3 point win

Imperial Daala swarm got the first round pass

2nd Round:

Fringe beat Imperial Reborn 2 point win

Imperial Daala beat Sith 3 point win

Mando Jaina beat Mando Swarm 3 point win

OR beat Republic (another close game but my brother is obsessed with chasing down pieces and ignored gambit, lost by 20 points)

Due to having time and bye's into the final round being lame, Amanda and I agreed to play a game to see which one of us would make it into the final with my Seps against Imperial Daala swarm on Bespin and barely scrapped out a win with some lucky strafes

Final Four:

OR anti-ranged, Mando Jaina, Fringe Black Sun and Seps

Seps versus OR, I won map roll, picked command deck for the strafing walls and quickly dismounted to Grievous HoH to counter the ranged hate, also my opponent Zach not just taking the damage from turn to the dark side and me taking over two of his jedi. Very close game but 2 point win for me.

Fringe totally devastated the commander effect-dependent Jaina team. Cad Bane gunned down Jaina in one turn. 3 point win for Fringe.

Bronze Medal Game:

OR versus Jaina Mando, And close game but Jaina managed to parry enough strikes to win the day.

Championship Game:

Seps versus Fringe on Destroyed Base

I knew it was going to be an uphill battle, and more than normally so due to his anti-everything, damage spread mitigation with the bodyguards and insane damage. He dominated gambit with his crazy bodyguards and Cad Cannon beat stick he kept as a threat. I would out-activate and galloping attack on whoever I could with getting Grievous out of there. Pulled off my trick twice and due to junk rolls I only killed his bodyguards. He accurate shot majorly wounded an unprotected Dooku. And Lobot was helpful to lock doors and with a spotter I brought in Grievous was hard for my opponent to shoot. But with a big Talon setup Cad dumped 100 damage on Grievous (rolled a 1 once out of his 6 attacks, and I was very thankful for damage reduction). Last round of the game starts with Matthew only having lost his bodyguards, everyone else untouched, and me with a Grievous with 30 and a single spotter and sniper. He was ahead of me by 18 points and I knew I had to kill something or I would lose, so I went in for a final ride of the Valkyries and wounded everyone but Cad Bane made me suffer and finished off Grievous, the Sniper and the Spotter in one round of shooting. Victory for the Black Sun.

Such a close game considering I felt my squad was totally out-matched but it was cool to see a brand new player Matthew take his squad to the final and beat out the long-time veterans. And another new player Zach got 4th place with his first tournament and first games ever of SWM just using an anti-ranged build. My poor brother had a deadly Obikin squad but just didn't focus on gambit and instead ran around the board chopping down Jedi. Nik just hates dice rolls and was mixing up his normal Vong builds for some different direct damage, but had some tough match-ups. Luke tried something fun with splashing swarm. Nathan was all jacked up on the legacy books (reading for the first time) and wanted a solid Jaina Mando build. Amanda knows the power of Daala and rocked her favorite female piece. It was Veronica's first time playing too and she wanted just one piece to learn but enjoyed playing her four shielded droids that didn't care about anyone's disrupting. And I love reserves and rolled decently getting 2-3 a game which helped out.

All in all good times were have and there is a new king in the north.... For Now...... Hahaha congrats to my friend though and looking forward to next year.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2018 11:13:23 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I like the only one-piece Sith squad. Good solution for a new player.

The Obikin squad looks really tough - but, yeah, that's a squad where you camp in gambit and kill whatever comes to you. If they don't come - you win.

What was the exact Daala/Snowtrooper build?
General_Grievous
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2018 2:20:33 PM

Thanks for the comments! And here is the Snowtrooper build:

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/186660/hoth-freezes-over