RegisterDonateLogin

You truly belong here with us among the clouds.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Tournament of Champions Options
urbanjedi
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2018 9:23:12 PM
Groups: Member

FlyingArrow wrote:
Skybuck vs So Uncivilized

So unfair. The Grievous squad doesn't look *bad*, but I can hardly imagine a worse matchup. Virtually the entire squad is 20hp or less. Gallop and swap. Gallop and swap. Gallop and swap. If the Seps are spread out enough, maybe Yobuck needs 3 turns to take out the squad. If they are clumped together, maybe he does the bulk of the damage in one big gallop. In any case, the Seps overwhelming firepower doesn't matter much if they can't catch up to the target, and this matchup is about as bad as possible in that regard.

I vote Skybuck. Pretty overwhelming favorite. I'd expect Skybuck to win 90% of the time or more.

yeah +1

With all 10-20 hp guys, no distraction or disruptive to try and get in the way of swap, no diplomat to slow down kybuck running over stuff, the seps are in a bad way. And with Yobucks range, there is no way the seps can stay away. Only 1 R7 for override, so can't really even try and play override games.

I would predict the game would go something like
Rd 1, seps stay back and spreads out, Rep advances gets gambit while also staying protected and hidden.
Rd 2, Kybuck kills a bunch of the B2s and other battle droid types and swaps to safety, Seps pick off R2 and eat a rodian.
Rd 3, Kybuck smashes in and cleans up most of the rest of the fodder guys and the Sniper then stands there. Seps do some damage to Kybuck, who then swaps out for probably Dash who takes out some more of the guys. Anakin could possibly be within 10 to get in and take out some guys.
Rd 4 Kybuck player finishes off the rest of the droids, then gets back to safety. At this point it should probably be greivous vs the world.
Rd 5 Finish off Greivous. Might take 2 rounds as LS duelist will make it difficult for the melee guys to hit. so have to rely on dash, but 2 rounds of everyone, plus a Force Push from skywalker should make sure it ends. Or just waiting in gambit if Greivous refuses to come out and play.

This is the kind of squad Kybuck was designed to really run over.
Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2018 9:32:06 PM

The Imperials took mine and Bryans game 200 to 48 :)
jen'ari
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2018 9:52:26 PM

FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2018 9:31:44 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

FINAL RESULTS FOR Game #3

3pts: "Skybuck" variant
Votes: gandalfthegreatestwizard, FlyingArrow, urbanjedi

0pts: "So Uncivilized."

Shutting it down an hour early after no votes or discussion for a long time.

Result reflected in the bracket here: http://challonge.com/xu51nfsp
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2018 9:32:28 AM

GAME #4: "Dance of Death: Ubertank" vs. "Hutt Cartel Kajidii on Hoversled"

Please vote for which squad you think would win, assuming equally skilled players (1 point per vote).
Try to persuade others to agree with you.
If you play a game with these squads against yourself (solo playtest), it's worth 5 points to the winning squad.
Two-player games count even more (10 points to the winning squad).
The squad with the most points wins.

If FlyingArrow and TheHutts themselves (or their designated proxies) play any games, they are worth 1000 points each, so they pretty much dictate the final result, regardless of other voting or other results.

--Dance of Death: UberTank (2nd place GenCon 2015)--
54 Darth Caedus, Sith Lord
49 Juggernaut
31 Barriss Offee, Rogue Jedi
30 Vergere
14 Exar Kun, Dark Force Spirit
11 Freedon Nadd, Dark Force Spirit
10 Squib Trader

(199pts. 7 activations)
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/143449/dance-of-death--ubertank--2nd-place-gencon-2015-

--Hutt Cartel Kajidii on Hoversled--
35 Dengar on Swoop Bike
28 Dash Rendar, Renegade Smuggler
28 Mira of Nar Shaddaa
23 Jarael
21 Hutt Cartel Kajidii on Hoversled
21 Marn Hierogryph
20 Bib Fortuna, Majordomo
5 Caamasi Noble
5 Salacious Crumb
4 Gran Raider
4 Loth-cat
3 Mouse Droid
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

(200pts. 13 activations)
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/170829/hutt-cartel-kajidii-on-hoversled

Deadline: 24 hours (12:32pm EST 24 Feb 2018). Votes must be posted by the deadline. If you plan to play a game, games can be played up to 48 hours after the deadline but intent to play must be announced by the deadline.

If there are 12 hours with no votes or discussion, the match-up may be ended early.
TheHutts
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2018 9:50:43 AM

I assume Sith win because Hutt Cartel don’t have enough hit points/denial to deal with the force and mines. On the other hand Mira’s grenades are useful. I’d probably swap Dengar for Merrigan and bring in Wicket with Mary. Also can steal Exar’s Cr and spend his force points with con artist, although Jararl will take the stat bonus from Caedus

FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2018 10:55:48 AM

I think there's a pretty strong map dependency with Mira. The Grenades will hurt regardless since they can't be bodyguarded and the Juggernaut/Barriss need to stay together. But the Juggernaut's armor is useless against Rigged Detonators and is already useless against Morrigan. The "ubertankiness" of the Sith squad is kind of eaten up by those two ladies - if there's enough low objects that Rigged Detonators can't be avoided. Also, long lines of sight help the Hutt Cartel a lot, so that's another map-dependent issue.

But those sorts of things just pull it to close to even. All of Hutt Cartel is relatively low HP with no armor to absorb Mines and nothing (outside of Jarael) to stop lightsabers if any Sith get adjacent. They can shut down Exar as a Force battery, but Sith still have a lot of Force beyond that and Hutt Cartel has no way to separate Barriss from the Juggernaut or prevent Sith Battle Manipulation.

I'm voting Sith, but very close. 60-40 Sith at most. Maybe closer to 51-49.
urbanjedi
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2018 6:19:08 PM

I agree. Map dependent. Marn does keep exar in check so it gives the sith way fewer force to play with. That does hinder the sith. However pure movement edge goes to the hurt cartel. And if Jarael gets to stun anyone good, it could be trouble. If the hutt cartel can get some long lines and some nice rolls, the tankiness element isn't the advantage it normally is.

Slight edge to sith, but could easily go either way.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2018 9:19:17 PM

A night or two ago, Jason and I played on Cloud City and Hutt Cartel won in a close one. So close that we both just voted for Sith even though Hutt Cartel won. Biggest swing was that the Sith player (that's me) had a big misplay at the start by sending Vergere up the wrong hallway so she was away from all the action the whole game. She never healed anyone, never served as a meatshield, and of course never died to give Caedus more Force points. It was close enough that those extra hit points (from healing and being a meatshield) probably would have swung it to the Sith.

I just played a solo game of this, this time on Cantina. And again Hutt Cartel won in a close one. So close that I'm not changing my vote... still voting Sith. But definitely calling it 51-49 instead of 60-40. Really close between these two squads. This last game came down to Morrigan needing to roll a 10 and then a 12 to kill Caedus. She got both to seal the win. If she missed either, Caedus kills her with an Aing-Tii turn. Bib and Marn were the only pieces left with Morrigan on Hutt Cartel side. If I had watched the clock, Sith probably would have had a 2-0 win on time because they were up most of the game and I played both sides slow.

Also, I created a logfile for this game. If anyone wants to see it send me an email and I can send it along if you want to watch a solo play between these two squads.

I don't see any way that Sith advances after these two losses, though. Hutt Cartel is now up 15-3. Unless someone else is dedicated to running three matches between them.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, February 24, 2018 3:35:58 PM

FINAL RESULTS FOR Game #4

15pts: "Hutt Cartel Kajidii on Hoversled"
Win: urbanjedi vs FlyingArrow (10pts)
Win: FlyingArrow solo play (5pts)

3pts: "Dance of Death: Ubertank"
Votes: FlyingArrow, urbanjedi, TheHutts

Result reflected in the bracket here: http://challonge.com/xu51nfsp
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, February 24, 2018 3:36:36 PM

GAME #5: "Prison Break" vs "Blast Bugs 2018"

Please vote for which squad you think would win, assuming equally skilled players (1 point per vote).
Try to persuade others to agree with you.
If you play a game with these squads against yourself (solo playtest), it's worth 5 points to the winning squad.
Two-player games count even more (10 points to the winning squad).
The squad with the most points wins.

If thereisnotry and spryguy themselves (or their designated proxies) play any games, they are worth 1000 points each, so they pretty much dictate the final result, regardless of other voting or other results.

--Prison Break - Winner of GenCon 2016 Championship--
55 Luke and Leia on Speeder
30 Chewbacca, Rebel Hero
25 Sabine Wren
*24 Han Solo, Captain of the Millennium Falcon
21 Lando Calrissian, Infiltrator
16 General Crix Madine
12 See-Threepio (C-3PO)
9 General Dodonna
8 R2-D2
*Han Solo in Carbonite

(199pts. 8 activations)
*9 activations after Han CotMF replaces Han in Carbonite
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/170151/prison-break---winner-of-gencon-2016-championship

--2018 Blast Bugs--
30 Supreme Overlord Quorreal
28 Zenoc Quah
23 Warrior Caste Subcommander
60 Domain Lah Warrior x5
40 Yuuzhan Vong Warrior x5
15 Zonoma Sekot Scout x3
4 Yuuzhan Vong Worker

(200pts. 17 activations)
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/186133/2018-blast-bugs

Deadline: 24 hours (6:36pm, 25 Feb 2018). Votes must be posted by the deadline. If you plan to play a game, games can be played up to 48 hours after the deadline but intent to play must be announced by the deadline.

If there are 12 hours with no votes or discussion, the match-up may be ended early.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, February 24, 2018 6:18:24 PM

Crix's Disruptive means that the Vong pretty much need to bring in the CE to extend the Blast Bug range to 8 squares. But that means they don't have the +4 to saves. Then it's a question of whether they can track down the Speeder, because the Speeder's strafe will be tough on the Vong. The Speeder might be able to reach the commanders... a dead Subcommander would kill the Vong.

Having not played either squad, I don't have the best feel for the reach on either side, but I'm leaning toward Prison Break on this one. Whichever one is the winner, it seems like it would be map-dependent as opposed to dice-dependent. If it turns out that the Vong can easily reach and kill the Speeder - massive advantage Vong. If it turns out the Rebels can easily strafe the Vong or easily use Disruptive to stop the Blast-Bugs, or easily reach the Subcommander - massive advantage Rebels. I'm not sure which of those 3 game plans (massive strafe, deep strike, or Disruptive turtling) would work best, but only one of them needs to work for Rebels to get the advantage, so I'm going Rebels here.
thereisnotry
Posted: Saturday, February 24, 2018 7:40:50 PM

At GenCon 2016 when I played Prison Break, I played against Brian twice, and as I recall he was running a squad very similar to these Blast Bugs.

I lost the first match against Bryan because I tried to get a big strafe and free Han, which really just meant that I exposed the Speeder, and they both died the next round (armor saves prevented any real kills there too, as I recall). I was still learning the squad at this point (never practiced with it before GenCon).

But when Bryan and I played again (on the same map, same sides of said map) in the quarterfinal, I played it much smarter. I positioned my dudes in such a way that Chewie was bodyguarding the Speeder and the whole group was within Disruptive. And I was in Gambit. So all I had to do with L&L was to strafe out 12 squares and then back home again. Anything that came close enough to attack or Bug me was also close enough to strafe and to attack and to Gernade (Sabine wrecks things!), so this time it wasn't very close, as I recall.

But yeah, FA is right about the dilemma that the Vong player has: 8-square bugs or super-saves? If the Rebel player knows what he's doing then I think Prison Break wins this matchup. I'm guess-timating that this matchup is in the Rebels' favor, probably around 70/30 or so. I'd be happy to play the match, but my computer is in the hospital for the next week or so.

What I ended up learning along the way was that I was originally trying to play far too aggressively with this squad (which is normally my style with most squads). But a big part of this squad's strength is defense: Disruptive and a big BG...and other than the speeder, its only real offense is Sabine's super-gernades, which are close range (move 3, nades, move back 3). What I ended up learning is that you have to turtle around Crix and Chewie to slowly move up the field, and then when the group is far enough forward, the Speeder can go to work while the rest of the squad does their thing too. And if you can safely free Han, that's a bonus.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, February 24, 2018 9:40:34 PM

Blastbugs can't be bodyguarded but that isn't enough to give the Vong an advantage here.
thereisnotry
Posted: Saturday, February 24, 2018 9:56:13 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Blastbugs can't be bodyguarded but that isn't enough to give the Vong an advantage here.
True enough! I guess Bryan’s squad wasn’t entirely like the one here then. The only other time I’ve played against BBs was Bronson’s Preatorite Scout squad, which the Speeder would eat for breakfast. It seems to me that these Vong guys could survive just 1 cunning strafe before dying, though (assume they make their armor rolls), so I still think that enough of them would die if the Speeder could get a second strafing run. I’d be interested to play it out though. Maybe once my computer returns from the hospital we could get a vassal game organized for this matchup, just to see how it would play out.
spryguy1981
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2018 6:43:18 AM

So the new version isn't as rapid fire as the old version but I played 2 games with the squads. One game I brought in Dooje and the priest. Dooje was able to cut out a large chunk of the cunning boosts because of positioning and I was able to get Criz down with the Lah Warriors using regular attacks. Due to his low defense. Chewie sponged some of the damage but a crit, and the 3 hits with Zenoc off of two Warriors dropped 100. Chewie took the full brunt. Next round Criz puts 30 on a Warrior but then I twin off and crit Madine. He takes the damage next hit misses. Then other warrior twins which Criz falls. Chewie kills that other Warrior. Speeder gets all the basic Warriors but the blast bugs eventually wear it down. End of time Vong 181 Rebels 156

Game 2 I went for the range extension and it actually did worse losing because you can't afford Dooje to take away Cunning. I got the speeder, Crix, Sabine. And 2 rounds gambit before my squad was wiped out. Speeder took out most of the squad himself.

Match 1 was on my map
2 was on his map.
If If have time I'll play the 3rd game but right now it's 50/50 to me.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2018 10:22:15 AM

Current score 7-5, Rebels lead.

Don't forget that you can vote in addition to playing games. If anyone wants to play a game over the next couple days be sure to announce them before the deadline.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2018 2:51:47 PM

I'm planning to get a game in tonight or tomorrow night. Solo unless I find an opponent when I go to play it.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2018 5:51:27 PM

FINAL RESULTS FOR Game #5

17pts: "Prison Break"
Votes: FlyingArrow, thereisnotry
Win: spryguy solo play (5pts)
Win: FlyingArrow vs urbanjedi (10pts)

15pts: "Blastbugs 2018"
Win: spryguy solo play (5pts)
Win: spryguy vs jerjerrod (10pts)

Result will be reflected in the bracket here: http://challonge.com/xu51nfsp

Tentative: FlyingArrow plans to play a game in the next 48 hours. And spry - he said he was going to try to play a 3rd game. (Sorry, spry, too late for a vote, but the game counts... added it in above.) (Also added in the FA vs urbanjedi game.)
spryguy1981
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2018 6:12:22 PM

I played the 3rd game against my cousin aka Jerjerrod4. He's a moderately skilled player but not on a tint level. The Vong did win the 3rd round 200+ to 114 on Rhen Var.

My vote is Vong but I feel it's map dependent as much as player dependent. 51/49 split.