RegisterDonateLogin

You can't win, but there are alternatives to drinking.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

World Vassal Regional 2018 Sign up and Reporting Thread Options
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2018 5:39:02 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

To Caedus: BlooMilk

(That's a toast.)
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2018 7:01:01 PM

DarkDracul wrote:
Caedus is the sanctioned SWMGAMERS T.O. and Head Judge for this event. He has TOTAL authority to run it as he sees fit. Organizers and Judges require the freedom to make onsite decisions as things don't always go perfectly "by the book" in tournaments.

Caedus invested a lot of time and effort in setting up this tournament and establishing how it should run.
For instance, one "rule" was that all players be fully registered before 8:00 pm EST on Sunday, March 25th.
However, by the established deadline only seven players had officially registered for the event.

Instead of "sticking to the rule" Caedus allowed additional time to register and worked to recruit additional players.
He even stated on SHNN that to increase numbers he might allow more flexibility for players to get their games in. Darth_Frenchy discussed his travel situation with Caedus prior to the event and again before the round in question.

Caedus reached out and convinced players apprehensive about participating in this event due to; vassal inexperience, personal situations, or being in another country, to sign up. He got a first time vassal player to join. He got more Kiwis to join. He got last years champ to join, despite travel plans. Caedus got these tournament numbers to jump from 7 players to 16 players.

Should he have edited and retyped the posted rules all over again? . . . NO screw that! The man is doing enough to bring us a great tournament already. He deserves our gratitude and respect and NOT to be called a liar or a cheat. Insulting or threatening a T.O /Judge is "major" unsportsmanlike conduct and should result in disqualification from the event.

I've said it several times on SHNN but I'll say it again here, I think Caedus is doing a phenomenal job running this tournament and I greatly appreciate him.

For what it's worth, I agree with this 100%. By not checking bloomilk for 24 hours or so I missed pretty much this whole thing when it blew up. When I first skimmed the whole mess I initially agreed in principle with jen'ari's point about 'no exceptions'... but

a) With more information I realized that the first couple rounds ending early changed the calendar, and since that impacted someone's schedule I think Caedus did make the the right call to extend Round 3 back to where it was going to end originally. And...

b) He's the T.O. Whatever he wants to do is fine. Even if I did disagree with a decision (which I don't in this case), it's his call - period.
HoneHeron
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2018 8:11:04 PM
Groups: Member

DarkDracul wrote:
Caedus is the sanctioned SWMGAMERS T.O. and Head Judge for this event. He has TOTAL authority to run it as he sees fit. Organizers and Judges require the freedom to make onsite decisions as things don't always go perfectly "by the book" in tournaments.

Caedus invested a lot of time and effort in setting up this tournament and establishing how it should run.
For instance, one "rule" was that all players be fully registered before 8:00 pm EST on Sunday, March 25th.
However, by the established deadline only seven players had officially registered for the event.

Instead of "sticking to the rule" Caedus allowed additional time to register and worked to recruit additional players.
He even stated on SHNN that to increase numbers he might allow more flexibility for players to get their games in. Darth_Frenchy discussed his travel situation with Caedus prior to the event and again before the round in question.

Caedus reached out and convinced players apprehensive about participating in this event due to; vassal inexperience, personal situations, or being in another country, to sign up. He got a first time vassal player to join. He got more Kiwis to join. He got last years champ to join, despite travel plans. Caedus got these tournament numbers to jump from 7 players to 16 players.

Should he have edited and retyped the posted rules all over again? . . . NO screw that! The man is doing enough to bring us a great tournament already. He deserves our gratitude and respect and NOT to be called a liar or a cheat. Insulting or threatening a T.O /Judge is "major" unsportsmanlike conduct and should result in disqualification from the event.

I've said it several times on SHNN but I'll say it again here, I think Caedus is doing a phenomenal job running this tournament and I greatly appreciate him.

+1 to this. I 100% agree with you, thank you for writing it out so well
General_Grievous
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2018 8:45:14 PM

HoneHeron wrote:
DarkDracul wrote:

+1 to this. I 100% agree with you, thank you for writing it out so well

+2, I was one of those "cheaters" that signed up past the deadline
thereisnotry
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2018 9:02:35 PM

Even though I hate wading into these putrid waters again, I'll take a moment to add my voice too.

First, I no longer have the time nor the interest (nevermind the patience!) to try to engage with bantha poodoo like this. Honestly, it's one of the main reasons why I almost never open up the Bloomilk forums anymore, and also one of the main reasons why I've almost entirely stopped playing the game. The childish toxicity that pervades these forums is singlehandedly doing more to destroy the SWM community than all the other challenges we face, combined.

Second (and now for the topic at hand), I thoroughly resent the malice and ignorance and blatant hatred behind any accusation that Shawn was "cheating" in making this decision. As others have said very well, he's the TO, and as such he's the one who's gotta make the call. It's not worth going into details, because they've already been laid out. He -would- be cheating IF he made this decision in order to benefit himself. But he didn't. He had absolutely nothing to gain by it. Therefore, I unequivocally and completely denounce the idiotic accusation that "Shawn was cheating" as completely asinine, and I'll counter that anyone who continues to assert otherwise is blatantly mistaken. Furthermore, this accusation is instead proof of at least a couple of things:
(1) ...that Jen'ari and perhaps some others don't have a clue what the word "cheating" actually means, and should therefore be completely ignored. The ability to type does not make you intelligent. Start with a dictionary. Changing one's mind due to unexpected circumstances does not equal cheating.
(2) ...that "cheating" is not really the issue here at all, and that Jen'ari and perhaps some others are just looking to pick a fight because of unresolved issues unrelated to this tournament. Deal with your issues like an adult, because your childish trolling is destroying this community.

Finally, the way that this discussion was even brought up to begin with was both aggressive and foolish. Rather than respectfully saying, "But Mr. TO, I thought you said 'XYZ,' so why are you making this decision now?'"...Jen'ari instead accelerated from zero-to-nuclear in a single post, and then proceeded to throw names and slanderous accusations at the TO. A simple respectful forum post (or even just BM) would've been more than sufficient to procure an explanation.

Yuck, I'm done with this. I feel like I need to go take a shower. I'm looking forward to my next game(s), but I won't be entering this cesspool again.

Shawn, you did absolutely NOTHING wrong! Anyone who took the time to listen to your reasoning can understand where you were coming from and why you made your decision...and we support you in it.
swinefeld
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2018 9:06:09 PM

I haven't been around because of life...but that doesn't matter, people still need to behave in a civil manner in my absence and not get bent over an effing game.

I won't nuke this thread because of it's intended purpose, but I will likely delete any posts that I assess are not germane if they don't contain tourney record data.

Lastly, Jen'ari, jeebus man, do you not have more important things to get riled up about?!!

I will follow up as needed here, and/or outside of this thread as appropriate, but am fresh out of FTG atm. Glare

shmi15
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2018 2:07:28 PM

Man, I did miss a lot!

I will give my opinion, as edgy as it may be.

1. I wouldn't consider it cheating, but it is breaking the rules. So whatever grey area you want to call it. Or call it cheating, but on the lowest possible scale you can imagine. I mean, if I am playing monopoly with a kid, I would let them reroll, or miscount squares. Its cheating, but its for a good cause.

2. I do think it was wrong to allow the game, only because it was in the OP as a rule, and people had already honored the rule in earlier rounds. I also think starting round 2 and 3 early was wrong, because people already planned on 1 game every 10 days. Or whatever it was. I don't think it was malicious, or any ill thought was behind the decision... But I do think it was the wrong decision.

3. Jen may of been a bit aggressive in his opinions, but he is who he is, and, for what its worth, him saying these things in whatever tone is not as harsh as you think it is. Its just who he is, lol. He won't say things behind your back, he won't sugar coat it, he just speaks his mind.

And lastly. What has impressed anyone who is playing in this tournament the most as far as squads or pieces that are being played?
jen'ari
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2018 2:43:43 PM

The original rules had this clause.

"If it turns out that all the matches have been completed their match before the week’s time is up, then we’ll start the next round a little earlier. "
shmi15
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2018 2:56:36 PM

jen'ari wrote:
The original rules had this clause.

"If it turns out that all the matches have been completed their match before the week’s time is up, then we’ll start the next round a little earlier. "

Then I retract my statement about starting the rounds early being wrong, and, given this new information, now will say rounds starting early are right on point with the rules.
DarkDracul
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2018 7:08:35 PM

What's truly pathetic are people, especially ones not in the tournament, still feeling a need to call the T.O a rule breaker or cheat for something that never happened. A rule was never violated, Round 3 ended up being Re-Paired with no one receiving additional time.

There was a chance Darth_Frenchy and Thereisnotry could have gotten their game in on time . . . but we'll never know now and the whole thing is a dead issue.

I just know that allowing additional time has always been within the purview of T.O. /Judges in SWM events.
I've seen a judge grant additional time to one table and denying it to another. I've seen a judge declare a strict "200 or 2," policy before the tournament, but then grant a 3 to a player with 199 points and a slow opponent retreating his pieces.

Basically, the T.O /Head Judge can do whatever the freak they want if they feel it's warranted. We trust that they are acting in good faith and doing what they feel is best. Players have a right to disagree with a ruling, but disrupting the enjoyment of a tournament with unsportsmanlike behavior is just unacceptable.

General_Grievous
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2018 9:36:44 PM

To start the process of moving on I will respond to shmi's final sentence. I am surprised but not at the same time about how much bastilla is in this tournament, she really needs a toning down at some point if she's still the hottest thing on the market after all these sets and negates most other squads. She helped break the super Commander effect teams but also shuts down so many potential options. If I don't see disciplined leader, or a Special Ability "Commander Effect" then I label something non-competitive and move on. But that's a fun debate for another day haha
gholli69
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2018 10:53:15 PM

I don't know that bastilla is "still the hottest thing on the market", as much as she is an almost auto include in the OR faction. I do feel that she is seeing a lot more table time lately however due in large part to some great new options for OR players like Ven Zallow, Vodo, and the wookie commander that have been introduced in the last couple of sets. I just think people are enjoying playing with those new options and it's hard not to take her in any OR squad because she is so good.
shmi15
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2018 4:55:35 AM

Do you think people only play Bastilla in early tournaments? To get a feel for what people are playing for the year?
Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2018 6:37:52 AM

I think people tend to play OR in tournaments they think will have a melee meta.
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2018 7:06:01 AM

DarkDracul wrote:
Basically, the T.O /Head Judge can do whatever the freak they want if they feel it's warranted. We trust that they are acting in good faith and doing what they feel is best. Players have a right to disagree with a ruling, but disrupting the enjoyment of a tournament with unsportsmanlike behavior is just unacceptable.

Very well put. I really have no idea where the notion that TOs couldn't make judgement calls came from. It is literally their main job.

Since the TO IS allowed to make judgement calls to allow exceptions to tournament procedures - it is not cheating or lying.

Caedus was not IN ANY WAY wrong for the way he handled this situation. Just because some players apparently have the mistaken notion that TOs can't take such actions, does not make it so.

Jen'ari - the verbal abuse you gave Caedus for disagreeing with his action is what was wrong. It was not just a little over the line, it was egregious and in extremely poor taste.

Beyond this instance, it also must be noted that this is not a first time occurrence from you Jen'ari. It is a repeated pattern of disrespect, disruption and degradation.

I can say for a fact that the community as a whole is sick and tired of it and not willing to tolerate it anymore.
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2018 7:38:25 AM

gholli69 wrote:
I don't know that bastilla is "still the hottest thing on the market", as much as she is an almost auto include in the OR faction. I do feel that she is seeing a lot more table time lately however due in large part to some great new options for OR players like Ven Zallow, Vodo, and the wookie commander that have been introduced in the last couple of sets. I just think people are enjoying playing with those new options and it's hard not to take her in any OR squad because she is so good.
+1

It's nearly impossible to make a good OR piece without it being a new toy for Bastila outside of there being rival or high motivation to not play her through negative consequences (prideful, losing CEs, not being able to use ABM, etc). We can only make so many pieces with those negative effects to encourage or prohibit a piece to be used with Bastila.

I know in Vsets 10 and 14 we specifically attempted to make pieces that played much better with the Arkanian Jedi General (the only other realistic reason to not play Bastila at the time). Drop Pilots, Veteran Troopers, Dowutin Soldiers, Antarian Ranger Tactical Soldiers and Jace Malcom are a few examples.

(I am singling out those sets because they were sets so I worked on, and I am intimately familiar with motivations and concerns to OR in those sets. I do know other recent sets have also been very conscious of Bastila at all times, but designers on those sets would be better to go into details there)

We also have attempted to start a new "cornerstone" in the faction to promote OR sans Bastila in the covenant subfaction with Q'Anilia. As always - having a single piece launch a new subfaction to tier one is dangerous and almost always a mistake (IE Director Krennic - ooops! Sorry again!) So hopefully new sets will focus on adding Covenant Uniques to steadily bring Covenant Sans Bastila up to speed.

The tricky part is that people won't play without her in OR (outside a fun squads) until squads can be made that are equal to or better without her than squads with her. Since Bastila is easily one of the best pieces in the game, we actually don't want anything that is objectively better than her. So the goal is to make pieces that help squads to be equal to her. A razors edge to balance on. No easy task.
shmi15
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2018 8:47:56 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
gholli69 wrote:
+1

It's nearly impossible to make a good OR piece without it being a new toy for Bastila outside of there being rival or high motivation to not play her through negative consequences (prideful, losing CEs, not being able to use ABM, etc). We can only make so many pieces with those negative effects to encourage or prohibit a piece to be used with Bastila.

I know in Vsets 10 and 14 we specifically attempted to make pieces that played much better with the Arkanian Jedi General (the only other realistic reason to not play Bastila at the time). Drop Pilots, Veteran Troopers, Dowutin Soldiers, Antarian Ranger Tactical Soldiers and Jace Malcom are a few examples.

(I am singling out those sets because they were sets so I worked on, and I am intimately familiar with motivations and concerns to OR in those sets. I do know other recent sets have also been very conscious of Bastila at all times, but designers on those sets would be better to go into details there)

We also have attempted to start a new "cornerstone" in the faction to promote OR sans Bastila in the covenant subfaction with Q'Anilia. As always - having a single piece launch a new subfaction to tier one is dangerous and almost always a mistake (IE Director Krennic - ooops! Sorry again!) So hopefully new sets will focus on adding Covenant Uniques to steadily bring Covenant Sans Bastila up to speed.

The tricky part is that people won't play without her in OR (outside a fun squads) until squads can be made that are equal to or better without her than squads with her. Since Bastila is easily one of the best pieces in the game, we actually don't want anything that is objectively better than her. So the goal is to make pieces that help squads to be equal to her. A razors edge to balance on. No easy task.

I actually think its very simple, and you hit it on the head already. Subfactions. Its the only way to build this game now. To many interactions, that, from now on, that should be the focus for each faction.

Sub Factions are easy to control, easy to maintain, and easy to expand/ build on. Designers working together and not just creating pieces they like goes a long way into making this work as well.

But this isn't a design thread.

So best interactions people have found with their squads?
jen'ari
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2018 9:24:59 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:

Jen'ari - the verbal abuse you gave Caedus for disagreeing with his action is what was wrong. It was not just a little over the line, it was egregious and in extremely poor taste.

Beyond this instance, it also must be noted that this is not a first time occurrence from you Jen'ari. It is a repeated pattern of disrespect, disruption and degradation.

I can say for a fact that the community as a whole is sick and tired of it and not willing to tolerate it anymore.

If you don't want me to respond don't direct your comments to me. Ace Ace summed it, I believe.
But in response.

I was not the initial aggressor.

Caedus was.
You and I were discussing if it was ok to Grant extra time.
I called for Caedus to follow the rules that he set. I called for him to think about the unfair treatment that would happen. I said that it would be dishonest.

So if you all were looking for discussion. That is what I was doing.

When he addressed me he did so aggressively and without care.
Maybe you feel I don't deserve a thoughtful response or to be treated with respect for past "deeds". Whatever.
I would like for you to answer the question:
Up to that point (before caedus response) what did I do that was disrespectful?

When Caedus addressed me he said

"YOU MAY TAKE YOU BALL AND GO HOME JUST LIKE YOU DID THE LAST TIME. Either way is fine with me."

So here he is, the event organizer, not giving a flip about my thoughts and, apparently, the thoughts of some others (flying arrow (initially, it changed due to timeline, but their was never a hard set timeline), general grievous, deaths baine, 2 people outside the tournament).

And mocking me, personally.

How next post, before I posted anything stated

"Now either QUIT or keep playing, but please, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, QUIT EFFING BITCHING!!"

Just for the record, caps are understood to be raised voice.

Explain to me how someone should respond to someone who does not care, mocks, and insults you.

Well when I did those things to Caedus, he made a threat.....

Umm... I called him a liar, cheater, and that he was a pathetic event coordinator.

But make no mistake, he started all the actual disrespect.

Unless he feels that my interpreting of the rules and discussing it was disrespectful. Which would be lunacy because that would mean that no one could address anything.

About this the community is over you..

What are you going to do about it Tim?
The only power you have is to ignore. But you, personally, love it too much to ignore. Ace Ace has it figured out. No one cares. I care. I just don't have any power to do anything about any of it. Tried the play testing thing, was cordial for a long time. Then some crap was pushed through that was just over the top. I couldn't handle it. The game is just never going to be where it could be. That is why anyone who has ever thought like I do is gone. Literally all of them.

I wonder why that is the case?

It's not like the community has ever actually cared about anything someone in my line of thought has thought. So nothing has changed except maybe you guys can ignore me. That's the only change that can happen.

The initial point to this post is that I was not the aggressive person first. This time round. You guys just jumped the gun on this one
jen'ari
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2018 9:31:26 AM

@dd

Everyone knows that intentionally playing slow has consequences.
Those consequences are not in a rule book as far as I understand it. There is no set consequence. So, by definition, that is up to the referee's discretion.

These are hard rules that were said to never be broken.

Large difference when it is actually up to discretion and when it is not.

This particular instance is not up for debate since Caedus used those absolutes
Never
Regardless
Without exception
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2018 10:12:01 AM

shmi15 wrote:
I actually think its very simple, and you hit it on the head already. Subfactions. Its the only way to build this game now. Too many interactions, that, from now on, that should be the focus for each faction.

Sub Factions are easy to control, easy to maintain, and easy to expand/ build on. Designers working together and not just creating pieces they like goes a long way into making this work as well.

Well put. The trick is that a major piece in the subfaction (A cornerstone piece) has to have anti-motivation for (Arkanian Jedi General, Master Q'Anilia etc) or else they'll just play those pieces WITH Bastila. Then the supporting pieces have to gain such an advantage from the cornerstone piece that without that cornerstone piece they're not worth playing (even with Bastila). Or at least there are better options for Bastila.

You can't just make a good piece in OR (Ven Zallow, Vodo, Wookie Commander, etc) that has no negative consequences for playing with Bastila, and have people not play them with Bastila.

It gets exponentially harder and harder to design all the time.

shmi15 wrote:

But this isn't a design thread.

So best interactions people have found with their squads?

And you're right this is not a design thread, lol (my bad!)

I have really enjoyed Venku Skirata. Not overpowered or broken, but better than first glance. I haven't even got to use his commander effect and still he's been integral to my wins. Flight, mobile attack, force awareness and knight speed (along with Kelborn's Resol'nare) give him incredible movement. Haven't used smoke screen yet, but obviously it could come in handy. Decently high hp (110) and LS deflect give him reasonably good survivability, and add his aforementioned movement and he's a tough nugget to kill. Twin attack, lightsaber +10 and protective +10 give him a pretty decent damage output (60 damage to adjacent enemies and injured unique Mandalorian ally is within six.) you do have to use good positioning and strategy to consistently get those 60 damage strikes.

I haven't got to use his CE yet (everyone is playing such low activations!) but regardless it feels like a blasteded-if-you-do blasteded-if-you-don't for your opponent. Either you out activate and can set up nasty strikes with all of the movement, or you don't outactive, possibly give an extra 70 damage to an adjacent enemy at the end of any enemy's turn after all of your squad is activated.

This is why I paired Venku with Maul and Pre Vizla - because they have twin attack (and Pre has dark saber!). Once I have the three of those along with Kelborn, it only made sense to round out the squad with deathwatch.

The squad definitely has potential, as does Venku in general. At this point I probably call my squad an 8, and Venku and 8 as well. I don't think the squad is optimized, but I will definitely be playing around with Venku in squads.