RegisterDonateLogin

Do not defy the Bloo Milk, Master, not again.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

World Vassal Regional 2018 Standings and Play Reports Only Options
Caedus
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2018 5:47:55 AM
Groups: Member

You have until 5/21 8pm to get those Semis in!!
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2018 8:22:02 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Final standings:

Darth Rattlehead should be 1-3 4pts.
Caedus
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2018 9:26:24 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Final standings:

Darth Rattlehead should be 1-3 4pts.

Oops yes thank you
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2018 11:12:22 AM

Semifinals: Trevor vs Tim

Tim won the map roll (with a 6!) so we played on Rhen Var; I set up on the right side.

Round 1: Entirely positioning.

Round 2: Ezra moved up to use Surprise Attack to shoot a Saboteur that had wandered into the main room, but he missed an attack so that Sab lived with 10. Tim found a sweet LOS where he could see only 3P0, but then his Saboteur's blaster malfunctioned on the attack, which cloaked my entire squad and prevented further aggressive actions against 3P0. Tim moved a Saboteur up to attempt an attack against Ahsoka, but he was Distracted by 3P0 so it didn't matter.

Round 3: This round was insane! Tim won this initiative and his blaster worked properly this time (Editorial: I think he simply remembered to turn off the Safety button!), so 3P0 was in pieces on the floor. Leia finished the 10hp Sab beside her (who blew up in her face and Ahsoka's too), but then Ezra moved to base Maul, with Traps and Synergy and all that good stuff, doing 60dmg to Maul (not melee, so no Teras Kasi shenanigans)...but the important thing here is that, while Maul made the first Jolt save with a fprr, he failed the second one. Tim and I later agreed that this was a gigantic turning point in the game. Tim moved some guys up to get in my face (Leia was adjacent to 2 Mercs at this point). Sabine went up and blew up those 2 Mercs with a Gernade, which also blew up Leia, who was out of Force Points, so no Mary Poppins shenanigans for her in THIS movie! But the big thing was that Ahsoka acrobatized herself past Maul, to Assault the Saboteur beside him, and then rolled away just before the bomb went off, which ended up damaging Maul (now 30hp) but not Ahsoka. Then she continued her assault (plus the Cleave) on Maul (who riposted her for 40dmg), but only hit twice, which left Maul at 10hp. Tim joined the fray with some attacks on Ahsoka via Kelborn and Pre, so she was down to 40 health pretty quickly. I responded by piling yet more people into the mix, but not before locking the door with R2. After the door was firmly shut, Kanan moved up to attempt 80dmg on Pre, but he rolled a 1. However, the dice repaid me a moment later when Venku came up and double-missed his attacks on Kanan. Hera came up and put 40dmg on Kelborn, then an Uggie tried to be a hero vs Maul, but who was he kidding? His time had not yet come. Ahsoka died this round too, thanks to Venku. Really: thanks Venku! (not!)

Round 4: We both agreed that this initiative was critical: Tim rolled a 9...and I rolled a 1. lol! Love them vassal dice! Resolnare put Pre and Venku out of harm's way. Maul then erased Ezra with style (ie, a Crit!). My Ugnaught once again had delusions of grandeur, only this time they were correct! He hit Kelborn for 10 dmg and then moved away (of course dying to 3 separate AoOs, lol!), which opened up LOS for Sabine to throw another Gernade, this time on both Maul (10hp) and Kelborn (now 40hp, thanks to the Uggie's grandeur), and it did its job; Kanan was also caught in the blast, but the force protected him (that, and the survival instincts he had learned from Hera). At this point Tim came flying in to attack Kanan with Pre, hitting the first attack...and then getting CounterPushed away from Kanan and right into Sabine's mine field. Furthermore, since he was no longer adjacent, the dreaded Dark Saber was no longer a threat. This left Pre at 10hp beside Hera, so Venku flew in to attack Sabine, needing a crit...but didn't get one. Sabine lived with 10hp. Pre died. The round ended with Kanan at 70hp, Sabine at 10, Hera at 90, and Venku at 30...plus some irrelevant droids. However, Venku got his end-of-round CE attack (the only time this game!), which put 70dmg on Kanan!...oh wait, no, that was actually only 50, because Venku was no longer feeling very Protective of anyone. So Kanan lived with 20hp. He also counter-pushed Venku (down to 10hp), but couldn't push him through the wall so Venku still got the Lightsaber bonus on his Twin Attack.

This was the end of time. After gambit the score was 177-117 for me. Even if Kanan had died, I still would've been up on points. With Venku at 10hp and me still having 3 attackers on the go, I think victory was pretty certain for me anyway.

T'was a very close game! One of the closest that either of us had seen (or played) in a very long time! Those Death Watch guys are vicious, but at least this time, the Ghost Crew had just enough tricks to outlast them. Thanks for the game, Tim!

On to the finals for me.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2018 12:04:42 PM

Yet ANOTHER top 4 Mando finish for me, and yet another regional I didn't win with them (I think I might be into double digits now, lol). I'm just cursed with Mandos!

It was a fun game, and closer than the final score for sure.

Trevor had some bad rolling, and then I did as well. I'd say overall the dice leaned my way slightly (mine were bad, his were worse).

No doubt if Ezra hadn't jolted Maul, the game after that point would have been very different.

C-3PO cloaking . . . himself . . . after I missed (rolled a 2) sucked. That could have actually made a big difference as well, as 3PO's distraction proved important. I had 2 more shots to kill him that round if he hadn't cloaked . . . himself.

I made a few minor play errors that could have changed things in such a close game. I was happy when Trevor used his one and only focused attack on a Saboteur (and not MAUL!) - and even happier when he missed 1 of the twin shots! Had I positioned a little better end of round/resolnaire before the next round, I think I could have prevented Ezra from attacking Maul at all, which would have changed the entire game - so not much point speculating there. But Trevor saw his chance, took the risk, and it paid off.

Best of luck in the finals. It's not the last you'll see of Venku!
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2018 3:55:28 PM

Once again, it looks like people are afraid to face me in the Finals! Bwaahaaahaaaa! Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen.

Seriously, though, I'm curious if Spry and Frenchy will be able to play before the deadline tonight.
spryguy1981
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 3:12:06 AM

So I've been homeless essentially since December and the last 3 weeks have had no Wi-Fi. I am scheduled to be turned on Wed, but if they don't or that's too late I am willing to concede to Frenchy for this round.
spryguy1981
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 3:12:45 AM

P.S. tried to use McDonald's and the Library former kept kicking me off, latter wouldn't let me boot up vassal.
Caedus
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 8:15:35 AM

I will grant an extension until Friday. If by 8pm, there is no record of a game being played, contingency one will occur. DarthFrenchy and Flying Arrow will have 5 Days to complete a game and the winner will face tint. Now I know this is once again going against the rules set forth and is continuing to make this Tourney and its TO a complete farce and a joke, but spry did get his request in BEFORE the deadline and I feel the situation is warranted. Sorry for any inconvenience.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 8:24:24 AM

Caedus wrote:
I will grant an extension until Friday. If by 8pm, there is no record of a game being played, contingency one will occur. DarthFrenchy and Flying Arrow will have 5 Days to complete a game and the winner will face tint. Now I know this is once again going against the rules set forth and is continuing to make this Tourney and its TO a complete farce and a joke, but spry did get his request in BEFORE the deadline and I feel the situation is warranted. Sorry for any inconvenience.

What? This is outrageous! You actually want people to play games in this tournament!?! It's almost as if you think you have the explicit right to make these sort of judgment calls. Who do you think you are? The TOURNAMENT ORGANIZER or something?

Only a TOURNAMENT ORGANIZER has those explicit rights. They are literally the judge.

I am going to message the TOURNAMENT ORGANIZER right away. They will make their judgement call on this situation, and we'll just have to live with it - because that is literally their job. Even if that judgment is outside the truncated basic rules that they laid out at the start the tournament, it is still their right to make any judgment call they see fit.

You just wait CAEDUS. The TOURNAMENT ORGANIZER will decide what is best for this tournament.
jen'ari
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 8:43:25 AM

Here come the Jesters...

An organizer cannot go against hard rules. Otherwise it is the definition of cheating.

this is what was said

"In the case of any match not being completed by the deadline, both players will receive a double-loss unless one player can demonstrate that his/her opponent has been completely non-responsive to communications. But please don’t let it get that far; if your opponent is still non-responsive after 24 hours then contact me via BM immediately. In this case we’ll deal with situations as they come up. Unfortunately, this year, I will be issuing a hard deadline in order to be consistent and fair to all the other players. No exceptions to this rule. I am sorry."

If he had said

"No exceptions to this rule unless the person tells me 3 days or more before the deadline and the opponent agrees to an extension. The opponent does not have to agree to an extension."

Thanthe extensions would be perfectly fine within the rules.

It seems that everyone is fine with the organizer cheating and I am the odd one out of all that, it is what it is.

But you cannot escape from the reality that it is cheating. it is just "acceptable cheating"
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 8:44:28 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Caedus wrote:

Can someone run down the tiebreaker details? I did them earlier when I thought it might matter (before Tim won in his last round), and I'm pretty sure Jason had me beat. But hopefully Spry can play and it won't matter anyway.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 9:13:42 AM

Tournament organizers INNATELY have the right to make any judgment call they see fit.

You can complain all day about a call that is made, but any tournament organizer has that right to make one at any time. It is not cheating.

Period.
jen'ari
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 9:39:53 AM

you cannot make a judgement call unless it is in a gray area. That is what a judgement call is for.

There was no space left for a gray area.

Therefore, there is no room for a judgement call to be made. The call was made when the rules were set.

This is easy to understand.

ADDITION: looked up judgement call on merriam. this is the sentence that uses judgement call

"The rules aren't clear in this case, so officials are required to make a judgment call."

Which is awesome.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 10:20:36 AM

jen'ari wrote:
you cannot make a judgement call unless it is in a gray area. That is what a judgement call is for.

There was no space left for a gray area.

Therefore, there is no room for a judgement call to be made. The call was made when the rules were set.

This is easy to understand.

ADDITION: looked up judgement call on merriam. this is the sentence that uses judgement call

"The rules aren't clear in this case, so officials are required to make a judgment call."

Which is awesome.

Extenuating circumstances makes it gray area. Clearly you don't agree with that, but that's beside the point. Where on earth did you divine that a judgement call has to only come from gray area? That's simply not true.

I'm glad you brought up Merrium's Dictionary.

It's clear why you didn't quote the definition, since it completely contradicts your point.

Judgement Call:
A subjective decision, ruling or opinion.

LOL

And quoting a sentence is meaningless as proof that it is always true.

"The ball is red". Yup, that is a valid sentence.

Does that prove all balls are red? Not even slightly.

That was so easy to shoot down. Like fish in a barrel.

jen'ari
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 10:36:17 AM

It is just curious that the example sentence that the dictionary people used happened to call out not knowing a rule and needing a judgement call...

hahaha. try your little rhetoric all you want. It is clear that judgement calls happen when there is no set rule and an opinionated decision needs to be made.

This only happens when there is no law/rule in place.

In these situations there are clear rules already in place.

you are willfully trying to work around definitions and meaning. Which is what a child does.

My 8th grade students try to pick apart one aspect of a statement and act like it is something grand.

Which is what you just did.

You tried to act like you did something to prove my stance is wrong by nitpicking.

You didn't a judgement call is based off an opinion because there is no known solution.

So if there is a known solution there would not be a judgement call needed.
jen'ari
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 10:51:11 AM

Here is another website defining what a judgement call is:

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/judgment-call

I am glad we are having this discussion little timmy, it is helpful for all tournament organizers and officials. Tim have you ever officiated something? Have you ever taken a course to become an official referee?
These are definitions from the Collins Dictionary published by Harper Collins

If you refer to a decision as a judgment call, you mean that there are no firm rules or principles that can help you make it, so you simply have to rely on your own judgement and instinct.

an official decision made during a sporting event by an umpire, referee etc, based on their own perception of events, when there is no other way of measuring them objectively
thereisnotry
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 10:59:36 AM

Blink
Okaaaayyy…back on track again here....
Caedus wrote:
That sounds good to me, Caedus. I'm glad you're the TO. And I'm also glad that there is life outside of SWM. Very, very glad. ThumbsUp
jen'ari
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 11:07:27 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:

Extenuating circumstances makes it gray area. Clearly you don't agree with that, but that's beside the point.

p.s. Tim there is no room for extenuating circumstances, via the rules.

I will quote the rules again.

"No exceptions to this rule. I am sorry."

So what does that mean? there is no room or allowance for extenuating circumstances.

Like I said before. I am glad this is cleared up.

Everyone here, besides me, is OK with breaking the rules.

Which is something I will have to deal with.

But just call it what it is. If you like the breaking of rules, just say that, don't try to act like it is something it is not.
just own it and move on.

TimmerB123 wrote:

Where on earth did you divine that a judgement call has to only come from gray area?

from the meaning behind the phrase "judgement call"

If you refer to a decision as a judgment call, you mean that there are no firm rules or principles that can help you make it, so you have to rely on your own judgment and instinct.

and from just knowing what the word means.
General_Grievous
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 11:57:14 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
Blink
Okaaaayyy…back on track again here....
Caedus wrote:
That sounds good to me, Caedus. I'm glad you're the TO. And I'm also glad that there is life outside of SWM. Very, very glad. ThumbsUp

Yep let's just let the last few guys finish their game the rest of us are out anyways haha