RegisterDonateLogin

What a piece of junk!

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

GenCon Champs 2005-Present Options
DarthMaim
Posted: Wednesday, August 1, 2018 6:59:39 PM
Groups: Member

Greetings SWM community!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On the eve of the 2018 SWM GenCon Championship, I wanted to post something that I have been wanting to post for several years now. With GenCon here tomorrow, why not now? So, without further ado, drum roll please...……………………………………..

1. 2006- GenCon Indy Sat 150pt Champ- Imps "Black and Blue Classic" (Billiv), Sunday 150pt Champ- Imps " Black and Blue Varient"- ( I do not remember guy's name that won )

GenCon So Cal 150pt Champ- Imps "LV Black and Blue"- (Moses2813) ( Man I miss Jim Fraser! ) The very first Con that a SWM participant showcased Lord Vader, because Wizards of the coast released the Bounty Hunters expansion set on September 23rd, 2006, and GenCon So Cal, took place November 16-19, 2006!

2. 2007- GenCon Indy 150pt Champ- Republic "Broken Boba" ( Dr Divot )

Unfortunately for me, GenCon So Cal was cancelled permanently starting in 2007 ThumbDown

3. 2008- 150pt Champ- Rebels "Speedy Cannon" (Billiv)

4. 2009- 150pt Champ- Rebels "Lobbin Luke" (Fingersandteeth)

5. 2010- 200pt Champ- Rebels "Smug Commandos" (Echo24)

6. 2011- 200pt Champ- OR "Bastila's Battlemasters" (Jester007)

7. 2012- 200pt Champ- Republic "This Party's Over" (thereisnotry)

8. 2013- 200pt Champ- NR "Prof. Luke's Art Class" (sephiroth99is)

9. 2014- 200pt Champ- Mandos "Movin Mandos" (Weeks)

10. 2015- 200pt Champ- Imps "Wuher the Hypocrite" (Darth_Jim)

11. 2016- 200pt Champ- Rebels "Prison Break" (thereisnotry)

12. 2017- 200pt Champ- Imps "Roger Stone of SWM V2" (atmsalad) now known as (Darth_Frenchy)

13. 2018- 200pt Champ- Imps "Les Femmes Fatales Redux: O.C.D. (Opportunistic Charging Domination)" (TimmerB123)

14. 2019- 200pt Champ- Imps "Swappy McCool"
( Lily_wan )

15. 2020- 200pt Champ- Mandos "Jangalorn" (thereisnotry)

16. 2021- 200pt (VassalCon) Champ- Separatists "Jabba Momma" (DarkDracul)

History of Faction Wins at SWM Championships at GenCon/VassalCon Since 2005

Imperials= 7
Rebels= 4
Republic= 2
Mandos= 2
OR= 1
NR= 1
Seps= 1

*2006 had 3 150pt Championships ( 2 in Indy, 1 in So Cal )

DarthMaim
Posted: Thursday, August 9, 2018 9:02:35 PM

Updated to reflect this years winner! Congrats to TimmerB123!
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, August 9, 2018 9:08:13 PM

Imps have won most of the NZ nationals too.....
DarthMaim
Posted: Saturday, August 3, 2019 11:39:01 AM

Imps in again to once again, show their domination OMG
DarthMaim
Posted: Saturday, August 3, 2019 3:57:14 PM

By the way ladies and gentlemen, that's 4 out if the last 5 yrs, that Imps have been on top. Thrawn Mithu, has been the consistant mini in 3 of the 4 Imp squads! These are staggering stats, that no one can debate or dispute!
DarthMaim
Posted: Sunday, August 2, 2020 10:35:06 AM

Congrats to TINT for winning the 2020 GenCon SWM 200pt championship with Mandos!!!!!!!!! That's what I'm talking about and have been preaching for years. Balance committee brought balance to SWM. It's so refreshing and exciting, to see the Imps and Thrawn, not win GenCon this year. Cheers,
BlooMilk BlooMilk BlooMilk
DarthMaim
Posted: Sunday, August 2, 2020 10:41:17 AM

Now, can Sith, Separatist, Fringe, or Vong, get on the scoreboard? BigGrin Wink
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, August 2, 2020 11:02:32 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

This boardgamegeek wiki page has a list including top 8/top 6 for the past few years:

https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Competitive_Star_Wars_Miniatures_Squads#
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, August 2, 2020 11:08:51 AM

Since 2013 (earliest I have info for), this is the number of times each faction has made it through to the knockout stage of GenCon:

Imperial: 15
Republic: 11
New Republic 5
Sith: 4
Old Republic: 4
Separatist: 4
Fringe: 4
Rebel: 4
Mandalorian: 3
Vong: 2
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, August 2, 2020 12:57:12 PM

Noone played Imperials this year, right? I suspect Daala and Thrawn both could have done well.
swinefeld
Posted: Sunday, August 2, 2020 7:03:09 PM

TheHutts wrote:
Noone played Imperials this year, right? I suspect Daala and Thrawn both could have done well.

Antifa? LOL jk Heart
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Sunday, August 2, 2020 7:23:13 PM

DarthMaim wrote:
Balance committee brought balance to SWM.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. I'm not trying to take away from TINT's victory- it was a great squad and he ran it very well. But a significant chunk of the players were actually running tier 1.5 - tier 2 squads. As TheHutts said, no one was running the two best tier 1 squads, Thrawn or Daala. And not because they can't compete anymore. The balance committee rulings have slightly harmed Thrawn because Morrigan is a bit weaker and Ozzel is useless. But Thrawn has no trouble dominating even without Ozzel or Morrigan (as seen in the power creep tournament). Daala doesn't need Ozzel to be strong and is actually better off without him, Dodonna and San Hill in the meta. So yeah, they're still the strongest squads, but people just didn't want to play them.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, August 2, 2020 7:35:57 PM

I think Daala Snowtroopers max out at Tier 1.25. I pushed them as hard as I could pre-nerf and then brought them back last year. They have some autolosses but also some autowins. Daala with Scouts and Sleds are the better route, but not a route I ever took the time to learn.

Plus, after 3 games in the team tournament with Nullified Ubertank, I realized my best chance would be to play a squad I actually know. Having made several simple mistakes in the team tournament, I figured I would be best served bringing that squad instead of making similar simple mistakes with a squad I haven't played in months or years (or one I never played at all). It's what DarthJim calls "seat time" with a squad. But I still made a simple mistake (timing with Amanoa) near the end of the playoff game vs spry. It was late enough in the game that it almost certainly wouldn't have made a difference, but it took my 1% chance down to 0.00001%, and then I conceded.

But, yes, Daala and Thrawn are still strong squads to contend with.
DarthMaim
Posted: Sunday, August 2, 2020 7:38:06 PM

gandalfthegreatestwizard wrote:
DarthMaim wrote:

I wouldn't be too sure about that. I'm not trying to take away from TINT's victory- it was a great squad and he ran it very well. But a significant chunk of the players were actually running tier 1.5 - tier 2 squads. As TheHutts said, no one was running the two best tier 1 squads, Thrawn or Daala. And not because they can't compete anymore. The balance committee rulings have slightly harmed Thrawn because Morrigan is a bit weaker and Ozzel is useless. But Thrawn has no trouble dominating even without Ozzel or Morrigan (as seen in the power creep tournament). Daala doesn't need Ozzel to be strong and is actually better off without him, Dodonna and San Hill in the meta. So yeah, they're still the strongest squads, but people just didn't want to play them.

Speaking of Daala, where was Darth_frenchy this GenCon?
AceAce
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2020 12:38:00 PM

Since the internet works in California, I am not sure why Etienne didn't show
DarthMaim
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2020 6:42:59 PM

gandalfthegreatestwizard wrote:
DarthMaim wrote:

I've never been on record to say that Daala has been an issue. She's won 1 GenCon. My issue was Throzzel, and activation control (3 out of the last 5 GenCon winners- before this year ). The committee, in their infinite wisdom, tackled the big strength of their dominance, by nerfing Ozzel. You cannot possibly sit here and say, that it doesn't impact Throzzel, by that change!!!!!!!!! Of course it does! Is Thrawn still a powerhouse? Of course he is. However, without his partner in crime, he is ABSOLUTELY closer to the pack, and less dominant ThumpUp
Darth_Jim
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2020 7:09:27 PM

This year I built a squad to address Daala and Thrawn. I was willing to swap a ranger for Mas and whatever else I could take with it. I think they're both still strong, but they require total commitment and there's no plan B. When I won in 2015, I had 1 attacker to ensure I'd outactivate Double Swap. The one game in swiss I didn't outactivate, I lost. I was lucky Deri lost to TJ.

I'm not sure why others stayed away from those 2 builds, but I wanted to have a plan B. I wanted to be able to adapt.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2020 9:18:08 PM

DarthMaim wrote:
I've never been on record to say that Daala has been an issue. She's won 1 GenCon. My issue was Throzzel, and activation control (3 out of the last 5 GenCon winners- before this year ). The committee, in their infinite wisdom, tackled the big strength of their dominance, by nerfing Ozzel. You cannot possibly sit here and say, that it doesn't impact Throzzel, by that change!!!!!!!!! Of course it does! Is Thrawn still a powerhouse? Of course he is. However, without his partner in crime, he is ABSOLUTELY closer to the pack, and less dominant ThumpUp

I wasn't talking about what you've been on record saying, I was talking about balance. The best two squads are Daala and Thrawn. Thrawn has won more GenCons because he gets played more. Of the Gencons in which both Daala and Thrawn were played, Thrawn has won a maximum 1 (2015- not sure if Daala was played) and Daala has won 1 (2017). If a balance change makes Thrawn weaker and Daala stronger, that's not an improvement of balance.

The change certainly does impact Thrawn. He's slightly weaker. He loses act control, but so does everyone else so as long he has more activations, he still outactivates. He may be closer to the pack but he's still a significant margin ahead.
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2020 11:06:52 PM

Fwiw, I wasn’t concerned about Daala (any version) with my squad. Thrawn could’ve been more of a challenge, but I kinda think that my massive movement breakers and good durability would enable me to cause trouble for him. Regardless, I didn’t end up facing a Thrawn squad so I guess I’ll never know. By far, my hardest matches in this event were vs Jason and his expertly-played Skybuck squad.

I have never lost to blast bugs (another squad considered by many to be top-tier), but have actually beaten it twice. In fact, I’ve found that my hardest matches with this squad are against hard-hitting beef squads that don’t die when I unleash piles of damage on them, and which also don’t rely on CEs. Randy beat me in the vassal regional with his beefy Army of Light squad. I also didn’t know how I would handle TJ’s Warb Null squad in this tournament...fortunately I didn’t have to face it.
Weeks
Posted: Wednesday, August 5, 2020 7:38:07 AM

DarthMaim wrote:
Greetings SWM community!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On the eve of the 2018 SWM GenCon Championship, I wanted to post something that I have been wanting to post for several years now. With GenCon here tomorrow, why not now? So, without further ado, drum roll please...……………………………………..

1. 2006- GenCon Indy Sat 150pt Champ- Imps "Black and Blue Classic" (Billiv), Sunday 150pt Champ- Imps " Black and Blue Varient"- ( I do not remember guy's name that won )

GenCon So Cal 150pt Champ- Imps "LV Black and Blue"- (Moses2813) ( Man I miss Jim Fraser! ) The very first Con that a SWM participant showcased Lord Vader, because Wizards of the coast released the Bounty Hunters expansion set on September 23rd, 2006, and GenCon So Cal, took place November 16-19, 2006!

2. 2007- GenCon Indy 150pt Champ- Republic "Broken Boba" ( Dr Divot )

Unfortunately for me, GenCon So Cal was cancelled permanently starting in 2007 ThumbDown

3. 2008- 150pt Champ- Rebels "Speedy Cannon" (Billiv)

4. 2009- 150pt Champ- Rebels "Lobbin Luke" (Fingersandteeth)

5. 2010- 200pt Champ- Rebels "Smug Commandos" (Echo24)

6. 2011- 200pt Champ- OR "Bastila's Battlemasters" (Jester007)

7. 2012- 200pt Champ- Republic "This Party's Over" (thereisnotry)

8. 2013- 200pt Champ- NR "Prof. Luke's Art Class" (sephiroth99is)

9. 2014- 200pt Champ- Mandos "Movin Mandos" (Weeks)

10. 2015- 200pt Champ- Imps "Wuher the Hypocrite" (Darth_Jim)

11. 2016- 200pt Champ- Rebels "Prison Break" (thereisnotry)

12. 2017- 200pt Champ- Imps "Roger Stone of SWM V2" (atmsalad) now known as (Darth_Frenchy)

13. 2018- 200pt Champ- Imps "Les Femmes Fatales Redux: O.C.D. (Opportunistic Charging Domination)" (TimmerB123)

14. 2019- 200pt Champ- Imps "Swappy McCool"
( Lily_wan )

15. 2020- 200pt Champ- Mandos "Jangalorn" (thereisnotry)

History of Faction Wins at SWM Championships at GenCon Since 2005

Imperials= 7
Rebels= 4
Republic= 2
Mandos= 2
OR= 1
NR= 1

*2006 had 3 150pt Championships ( 2 in Indy, 1 in So Cal )

Congrats to TINT. Once again proving he’s the best. Welcome to the Mandalore club. Let’s go invade Republic space together!