RegisterDonateLogin

Is a political idealist, not a murderer.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Consensus on maps? Is it possible? Complain here. Options
General_Grievous
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 12:09:54 PM
Groups: Member

And I enjoy varying up the maps and the huge number we have to choose from so always down for changes. I know we'll never get it quite right for Huges but maybe one day having a huge-friendly sub-list would be cool!
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 12:14:50 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Quote:
*Bothan Spynet
Jabba's Palace
Anchorhead
*Command Deck
*Dark Academy
Theed Palace
Crime Lord's Palace
Gangster's Vault
Pirate Moon (SW)
Mos Eisley Residence
Starport District
*Modular Base

These are the 12 remaining with no complaints. Caedus had a complaint about Pirates' Moon SW on SHNN the other night, but I don't know if he was saying he didn't like or he had a complaint about balance on the map.
atmsalad
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 12:35:29 PM

I will try to look at these tonight, thanks TJ
spryguy1981
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 1:15:14 PM

I'm personally not a big fan of Jabba's Palace myself. Not huge on its balance but that's just me probably.
urbanjedi
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 1:18:35 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Quote:
*Bothan Spynet
Jabba's Palace
Anchorhead
*Command Deck
*Dark Academy
Theed Palace
Crime Lord's Palace
Gangster's Vault
Pirate Moon (SW)
Mos Eisley Residence
Starport District
*Modular Base

These are the 12 remaining with no complaints. Caedus had a complaint about Pirates' Moon SW on SHNN the other night, but I don't know if he was saying he didn't like or he had a complaint about balance on the map.

I think one of the biggest issues (as alluded to by others) is that people can FEEL there is an imbalance when there isn't one because they have less experience on a particular map than their opponent. It doesn't matter how long or when the map came out, some people just know some maps better than others and gain an advantage so even though a map might be balanced (or nearly so), it feels imbalance because the player who knows it better is better positioned to get more shots, better lines, cooler plays, etc.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 2:04:44 PM

spryguy1981 wrote:
I'm personally not a big fan of Jabba's Palace myself. Not huge on its balance but that's just me probably.

Yeah, everyone will have preferences like that. I'm not a big fan of Modular Base or Anchorhead, but I can't really point to anything to say they're imbalanced.
jen'ari
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 3:03:06 PM

Commanders office is unsalable against melee squads without fast movement. The yellow squares slow them down, they cannot capture Gambit First round and than it is a huge pain to reach the opponent in Gambit.
Think about caedus Vader vergere. How do you get to Gambit first round? Well you don't, and can't. That is normal for a lot of maps. But if you start on right it is a hopeless case getting around all that to where the enemy is standing in the turbo lift. The opponent has two hallways to be in and just wait.

So things like levitation, swap, and master speed are HUGE benefits to bypass the yellow and green squares.
On top of that it is sneaky door control abused as well. The other routes to get through are long and arduous if your DC is accurate shotted or strsfed
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 7:35:14 PM

From the right, you can reach gambit in round one just with Master Speed. From the left, it's 13 squares but then you're sitting in the open in the main hallway. 15 squares to reach the turbolift.

But complaint is noted and we are down to 12 maps with no complaints.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, February 17, 2018 1:29:38 PM

urbanjedi wrote:
I think one of the biggest issues (as alluded to by others) is that people can FEEL there is an imbalance when there isn't one because they have less experience on a particular map than their opponent. It doesn't matter how long or when the map came out, some people just know some maps better than others and gain an advantage so even though a map might be balanced (or nearly so), it feels imbalance because the player who knows it better is better positioned to get more shots, better lines, cooler plays, etc.

Sure. This thread is really just an exercise to either

* demonstrate that there are no universally-accepted maps (i.e. for every map there's someone who objects to it).
* or identify the relatively few maps that have no objections at all.

I'm not doing any evaluations on whether the complaints are valid. Here are the last 12 contenders without an objection. There are plenty of community members who haven't chimed in, so I don't think I have any confidence in this list at this point. But here it is:
Quote:
*Bothan Spynet
Jabba's Palace
Anchorhead
*Command Deck
*Dark Academy
Theed Palace
Crime Lord's Palace
Gangster's Vault
Pirate Moon (SW)
Mos Eisley Residence
Starport District
*Modular Base

Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Saturday, February 17, 2018 3:39:44 PM

I could probably find something I do not like on most maps. One of my favorite maps, Rhen Var Citadel, has that horrible line of site from starting area to starting area...
DarthRattlehead
Posted: Tuesday, March 6, 2018 1:16:01 AM

I'm sure you'lll all laugh at (with) me here,
but to me - the map for minis is like my choice of golf course...
Due to my golf handicap, it doesn't really matter what golf course i play on, its not going to affect my game, and i'm still going to have fun :)
LOL
Bring on any of those maps. No complaints here, I haven't played on them enough to know all the tricks and crazy line of sights anyway.. just gonna barge my way up and swing some 'sabers ;0

I do like the Dark side and Light side idea though for map lists. Its cool.
Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Wednesday, March 7, 2018 4:14:51 PM

DarthRattlehead wrote:
I'm sure you'lll all laugh at (with) me here,
but to me - the map for minis is like my choice of golf course...
Due to my golf handicap, it doesn't really matter what golf course i play on, its not going to affect my game, and i'm still going to have fun :)
LOL
Bring on any of those maps. No complaints here, I haven't played on them enough to know all the tricks and crazy line of sights anyway.. just gonna barge my way up and swing some 'sabers ;0

I do like the Dark side and Light side idea though for map lists. Its cool.

Haha, as it should be!!
Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Wednesday, March 7, 2018 5:03:35 PM

When it comes to looking at what a good map is or not I do not tend to think about map balance for both sides, otherwise simulation deck would be the best map ever. When you pick a map the person that doesn't win map gets first dibs on what side they want. If the map is imbalanced the other player will almost always pick the best side. Then the person that picked map gets to play their map, but from the worse side. The nature of how we pick maps in competition makes a complete balance kind of unimportant, unless the difference is extreme.

For me good maps are the ones that are difficult to exploit, but every map is exploitable by the right squad and player. So in the end I have to go to Balancing on a term of multiple squad types being able to play on it. Does strafe dominate on this map? Is it a swap players wet dream? Is it open for shooters? Do melee have protection? Do melee have a safe-ish path to Gambit? Those type of questions once answered can bring forth the cream of the map packs.

I am going to look at the map lists and get a top 10 list going.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2018 11:41:23 AM

Darth_Frenchy wrote:

I am going to look at the map lists and get a top 10 list going.

Still doing this?
AceAce
Posted: Monday, July 9, 2018 12:55:29 PM

We need to take over the Map List duties from Brad. He is understandably busy and it seems like the time as he does not play any more as well. We didn't get a change for 2018 and we need to be sure to set one for 2019 after GenCon has finished. Weigh in if you will and we can be star to get a tentative list together. Thanks Brad for all your help in the past.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2018 6:47:18 AM

Bump.

This thread is an exercise to either

* demonstrate that there are no universally-accepted maps (i.e. for every map there's someone who objects to it).
* or identify the relatively few maps that have no objections at all.

Here are the last 12 contenders without an objection. There are plenty of community members who haven't chimed in, so I don't think I have any confidence in this list at this point. But here it is:
Quote:
*Bothan Spynet
Jabba's Palace
Anchorhead
*Command Deck
*Dark Academy
Theed Palace
Crime Lord's Palace
Gangster's Vault
Pirate Moon (SW)
Mos Eisley Residence
Starport District
*Modular Base

Anyone have objections to any of the above?
DarthMaim
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2018 1:43:29 AM

No objections here ThumpUp
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2018 1:40:16 PM

I guess that's as much participation as we're going to get, then. So here's the list with no objections:

Quote:
*Bothan Spynet
Jabba's Palace
Anchorhead
*Command Deck
*Dark Academy
Theed Palace
Crime Lord's Palace
Gangster's Vault
Pirate Moon (SW)
Mos Eisley Residence
Starport District
*Modular Base

Except I'm going to be the one to complain about Modular Base. I don't really have any complaint on the layout - I just don't like the looks of it. Blah gray, and it hasn't grown on me at all. It's one of the few maps I would try to veto in a casual game for just that reason.

Next question - of these, is there anyone who will advocate actively for Starport District, Mos Eisley Residence, Pirate Moon (SW), or Dark Academy?

For the others, I've either seen enough of it to know people reach for the map, or I've heard people advocate for them. For the others - are they just left on the list because people don't care that much about them or are these actually maps people like? I don't want to put maps on just because people aren't familiar enough with them to know what to complain about.

Green Light:
Quote:
Bothan Spynet
Jabba's Palace
Anchorhead
Command Deck
Theed Palace
Crime Lord's Palace
Gangster's Vault

Waiting for an Advocate:
Quote:
Starport District
Mos Eisley Residence
Pirate Moon (SW)
Dark Academy
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2020 3:43:22 PM

Bump. Two years later.
General_Grievous
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2020 10:55:33 PM

I support that list, and advocate for those four maps to be on it too, sure they aren’t the most huge friendly but they are all decent, and SW specifically is also a multiplayer favorite.