RegisterDonateLogin

Does anyone even read these?

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Lots of Ruling Questions Options
BZNintendo
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2018 10:13:29 AM
Groups: Member

I have been playing the game now for a little over a year so I am still fairly new and have a lot of questions that have built up over many play sessions with my friends who I introduced the game to. I hope each one can get clarified all at once here by the community. Thanks in advance. BigGrin

Question 1) Can you Force Push or Force Lighting enemy characters that are not adjacent to you if you are adjacent to anther enemy character? Kind of like how shooters can't attack enemy characters if they are already adjacent to another enemy character.

Question 2) Can allied shooters combine fire (and grant that +4 to attack) with your shooter that is adjacent to an enemy Gungan Shieldbearer even if they are not adjacent to that Gungan Shieldbearer? I'm asking because it seems that energy shield ability stops all non-melee attacks so it would not make sense for non-adjacent shooters to be able to grant your adjacent shooter that extra +4 attack if their shots would have no chance at landing or am I thinking about this too much?

Question 3) When Princess Leia (Hoth Commander)'s Commander Effect activates, is it Leia that is making the save or the character being defeated? Because I came up with this combo of using Princess Leia (Hoth Commander) and Anakin Skywalker (Force Spirit) and having him give her Mettle and Force Renewal 1 so every time any of my non-Unique characters was defeated I am thinking she is making the save for them and if it fails I can reroll using her force points and thanks to Mettle the chances of success increased. So I just want to be sure I am using a legal possible combo as it did seem unfair and I destroyed my friends with it.

Question 4) When a character gets a damage bonus from commander effects, abilities, or both at the same time and lands a critical hit on a non-Droid character, when is the double damage determined? Do I activate the double damage before or after all my bonuses?

Question 5) Does a Chameleon Droid provide cover for other characters if it is blocking line of sight even though it is suppose to be invisible? How does that work?

Question 6) Can allied characters gain Force Renewal 1 from Darth Sidious Hologram even if they don't have a Force Rating?

Question 7) Not really sure if I understand Stealth, does it basically mean that if my character has cover from an attacker who is further than 6 squares and I am the only enemy they can see, they can't attack me? Or if they can see multiple targets and are further than 6 squares but my guy has cover they have to attack the others that they can see first even though my character might be closer?

Question 8) With Recon, do I need 2 characters in my squad with recon and only one has to have line of sight to an enemy? Basically is having only 1 character in your squad with recon pointless because it will never work without another character in your squad with recon.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2018 12:19:17 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

1. No, you can't use Force powers that target on non-adjacent enemies if you have an adjacent enemy. It does work just like shooters.

2. Yes, you can combine fire in this situation. Energy Shield has no bearing on combining fire because the latter isn't an attack.

3. The character that would be defeated attempts the save.

4. Here's the guidelines for resolving effects: http://www.swmgamers.com/SWM/Rules/ResolvingEffects.html
But I think you're actually asking if bonus damage is doubled on a critical hit. The answer is no, not normally- the base damage is usually the only thing you double. However, there are some abilities that change the base dmg of characters- Yuuzhan Vong bonuses like Shaper +10, and abilities like Gauntlet Knife +10. Damage from these abilities is added to the base dmg and multiplied in the event of a critical hit.

5. Yes, it does provide cover.

6. Yes, they can.

7. That's right- you understand it well.

8. The wording of Recon is really weird, but you only need one character with Recon in your squad to use the ability.
BZNintendo
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2018 2:00:46 PM

gandalfthegreatestwizard wrote:

7. That's right- you understand it well.

Wait which of my explanations is the correct one? Or are both correct?

And thank you so much for the help.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2018 2:53:31 PM

BZNintendo wrote:

Wait which of my explanations is the correct one? Or are both correct?

And thank you so much for the help.

The first one is definitely right. I think I misread the second explanation. The attacking character (X) is not able to attack the character with Stealth (Y) in that situation, even after all other enemies within line of sight of X are defeated, because Y does not count as the nearest enemy. X doesn't just have to attack other characters than Y first, X has to attack other characters than Y period.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2018 7:03:50 PM

CorellianComedian
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2018 7:59:19 PM

Just a side-note: there are many rules interactions that don't make sense from a "logical" point of view, but become clear if you look at rules alone.

In the instance of the Chameleon Droid, it doesn't make sense to us that something invisible would make it harder to see something behind it. It's a perfectly logical question to ask if they provide cover or not. However, from a rules perspective, Invisibility simply states that the Chameleon Droid cannot be targeted by nonadjacent enemies, and nothing more. It doesn't make any statements about whether or not it provides cover. If an ability doesn't say a thing happens, the thing doesn't happen.

I'm sure you've run into similar logical quandaries: why does the Lightsaber ability not make it a melee attack? Why can't Evade be used against a missile? etc.

The takeaway is that sometimes, you'll be able to figure out a rules question just by focusing on the ability/rule itself instead of thinking through the real-life logic of it.
DarkDracul
Posted: Saturday, February 2, 2019 9:59:44 PM

CorellianComedian wrote:
Why can't Evade be used against a missile? etc.

The takeaway is that sometimes, you'll be able to figure out a rules question just by focusing on the ability/rule itself instead of thinking through the real-life logic of it.

Yep, it's a game of abstract representations.
Some are better than others.

I mean, I evade Missiles 20 in real-life daily. Wink