RegisterDonateLogin

Only legal in the Outer Rim.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

The affinity rabbit hole . . . Options
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, August 9, 2019 11:00:51 AM
Groups: Member

OK, so affinity changes faction, right? Is it optional? What about Fringe?

Thinking of Alto Stratus. If I add NU Fringe characters to a sep squad that also qualify for Savage Opress' Affinity (Nightsister Hunters), does that make them separatist, even though as Fringe they could always be in the same squad? If so, and they gain IO, then the Red Hand Syndicate Boss could give them Assassin.

So how does all this mess work?

Next question -

"Chain" affinity circles

If I wanted Darth Maul, Death Watch Overlord to be in a squad with Savage Opress, NS Shaman and Mother Talzin (all the rest Fringe), then could I choose for the squad to be Sith, Sep, Imp or Mando?

Seps is the easiest. Start with Savage, add the others and they all become Seps.

Sith - start with Maul, add Savage via CE (he stays Sep), through Savage's affinity add the Shaman and Momma T and they become Sith? Or Separatist?

Ditto for Mandos

Imps - Start with Shaman, add in the other 3 and they all become Imperial? What if I wanted to keep Savage Sep (for some weird reason). Could I start with Shaman, add Maul and Momma T, then add Savage via Maul's CE, thus not changing his faction?

My brain hurts
Naarkon
Posted: Friday, August 9, 2019 12:56:26 PM

I have no answers, but I did spend almost two hours building nightsister squads and my brain hurts as well.
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, August 9, 2019 1:02:11 PM

Same. Momma T is insane
DarkDracul
Posted: Friday, August 9, 2019 2:09:46 PM

"Factioned" Character(s) joining through Affinity become the Faction of the character(s) they are joining. It is not optional. Jaq becomes OR or Sith. Savage Opress and Nightsister Mother can be either Imperial or Separatist but not both factions together.

Fringe are Fringe and not a Faction. They do not join, "reguardless of faction."

You need a Sith Witch to bring Asajj Ventress Nightsister into a Sith squad and a Nightsister Mother to bring her into Imperials.

Hope that helps.
DarkDracul
Posted: Friday, August 9, 2019 2:19:01 PM

p.s. the squad building puzzle aspect was supposed to be a fun part of her design. Lol
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Friday, August 9, 2019 2:32:10 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

You can't get Darth Maul, Death Watch Overlord into a Separatist or Imperial squad with any of the Affinities for Nightsisters, since he doesn't get Nightbrother until he legally enters the squad.
Caedus
Posted: Friday, August 9, 2019 4:19:51 PM

gandalfthegreatestwizard wrote:
You can't get Darth Maul, Death Watch Overlord into a Separatist or Imperial squad with any of the Affinities for Nightsisters, since he doesn't get Nightbrother until he legally enters the squad.

Yes because some very broken shenanigans would occur.
Caedus
Posted: Friday, August 9, 2019 4:22:40 PM

Could you imagine Vol, Maul DWO, and Asajj, in the same squad with Battle Ready.

"Sir, you need to wait in your car, because you are out of line."
swinefeld
Posted: Friday, August 9, 2019 4:29:40 PM

DarkDracul wrote:
"Factioned" Character(s) joining through Affinity become the Faction of the character(s) they are joining. It is not optional. Jaq becomes OR or Sith. Savage Opress and Nightsister Mother can be either Imperial or Separatist but not both factions together.

Fringe are Fringe and not a Faction. They do not join, "reguardless of faction."

You need a Sith Witch to bring Asajj Ventress Nightsister into a Sith squad and a Nightsister Mother to bring her into Imperials.

Hope that helps.

Spoken like someone who has carefully read the rule book. BigGrin ThumpUp

I keep my sig turned off on Gamers most of the time, but this is part of it:

Quote:
-- Fringe is not a defined "Faction" in the rule book. 'Fluff' presentation does not negate the content.

A single FAQ item that refers to a "Fringe faction" does not change that, it was just sloppy wording. In the entire output of WotC, there are zero examples of Affinity that would pick up a WotC Fringe character. That confirms the rule book as far as I'm concerned.

WotC did make Mandalorian Conscription, which changes faction of Fringe characters. Proof in the pudding as it were.
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, August 9, 2019 6:34:19 PM

DarkDracul wrote:

Hope that helps.

You left out the CE part (Maul), but I think I get that.

Thank you.

I think there are still some questions, but I’ll have to think it through.
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, August 9, 2019 6:35:38 PM

gandalfthegreatestwizard wrote:

This answers another part of the mess . . . er, puzzle.

Still more questions. It’s not all sorted yet. I’ll be back soon
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, August 9, 2019 6:53:17 PM

I know there was 10 million questions my primary post, but I don’t know if this was clearly answered:

Sith - start with Maul, add Savage via CE (he stays Sep), through Savage's affinity add the Shaman and Momma T and they become Sith? Or Separatist?

It’s a Sith squad, but Savage is NOT Sith (brought in via CE). So he’s Sep, and brings in the NS Shaman via affinity. Does the affinity make her Sith (the squad faction) or Sep (his faction).

I’m assuming Sith, but I can’t explain why with the rules
swinefeld
Posted: Friday, August 9, 2019 8:04:36 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
I know there was 10 million questions my primary post, but I don’t know if this was clearly answered:

It’s a Sith squad, but Savage is NOT Sith (brought in via CE). So he’s Sep, and brings in the NS Shaman via affinity. Does the affinity make her Sith (the squad faction) or Sep (his faction).

That's a pretty tough question worth digging futher into, but Sith would seem to be the squad faction.
NO RULING HERE YET.
DarkDracul
Posted: Friday, August 9, 2019 9:45:49 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Sith - start with Maul, add Savage via CE (he stays Sep) through Savage's affinity add the Shaman and Momma T and they become Sith? Or Separatist?

It's the Squad's faction that matters, not the faction of the character.

Affinity- "That character's faction is now considered to be the same as that squad's."

So if your squad's base faction (Maul Overlord) is Sith, whomever Savage (a Sep) brings in via Affinity become Sith.
If your squad's faction (Maul Overlord) is Mando, whomever Savage (a Sep) brings in via Affinity becomes Mando.

Savage with Maul Overlord's CE would let you bring in a "Mando" or "Sith;" Asajj Nightsister, Nightsister Shaman, Nightsister Sith Witch, or Nightsister Mother.

You cannot bring Fringe characters; Silri, Mighella Nightsister, Nightsister on Rancor, Nightsister Hunters, or Mother Talzin into a squad via Affinity or change them to a new Faction . . . because they are Fringe characters.
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2019 6:23:52 AM

Awesome. I think that clarifies it. Thank you.

I think that might answer all my questions related to this for now.
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2019 6:26:25 AM

The funny thing is that all these interactions have been around for years. It just took the power 10 Momma T to make everyone explore these things closely.
jen'ari
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2020 7:32:52 AM

So I am running a Mother Talzin Sep Squad.

I run Swoop Bike and Savage.

Can I bring in a Sith Maul when I use vehicle?

FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2020 7:02:23 AM

I don't see anything that would allow that. The Sith Maul would have to be a Nightsister (Nightbrother) before coming into the squad.