RegisterDonateLogin

I truly, deeply love Bloo.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Fall 2020 Tournament-Winning Squads Options
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2020 3:36:17 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Mando had a great idea. If we have enough of these Squad Swap tournaments, we can have a tournament of champions using all the winning squads. For ease of reference, I'm going to collect all the winners in a list here.

I'd like to get to 8 squads before a tournament of champions, but to accelerate things I'm also going to grab the winning squads from other tournaments in this same season. If necessary, we might also grab some 2nd place squads from the largest tournaments. But hopefully we can do an 8-squad tournament of champions around January before set 21 drops. We've already had a more active fall than we usually have - this is usually the deadest of seasons for playing minis.

8/15/2020 Squad Swap winner (2-0, 4 players):
"Merciless Death" by Mando
Mandalorian squad
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/219102/merciless-death

8/16/2020 V-Set 20 Tournament winner* (1-1, 4 players):
"Army of Light Regional Squad" by Mando
Old Republic squad
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/219046/army-of-light-regional-squad

9/4/2020 Squad Swap winner (3-0, 7 players):
"squad with no antares draco" by urbanjedi
Imperial squad
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/219640/squad-with-no-antares-draco

10/17/2020 Squad Swap winner (2-1, 6 players):
"sith bane" by urbanjedi
Sith squad
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/219989/sith-bane

11/13/2020 Squad Swap winner (2-1, 6 players):
"Por que no los dos?" by FlyingArrow
Fringe squad (Talon)
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/219064/por-que-no-los-dos-

11/28/2020 LS/DS Tournament* (2-0, 5 players):
"Karrde's New Mission" by TimmerB123
Fringe squad (Talon)
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/211802/karrdes-new-mission

12/19/2020 December Vassal Regional (4-0, 8 players):
"Sic 'Em!" by thereisnotry
Republic squad
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/221505/sic-em-

12/23/2020 Squad Swap winner (2-0, 4 players)):
"Night of the Hutt" by FlyingArrow
Separatist (but mainly Fringe) squad
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/219159/night-of-the-hutt

* The 8/16 tournament used a format where players had 2 squads, and the squads weren't all played the same number of times. That made the "winning squad" unclear. I took the squad that earned the most points, even though it did so in more games than some other squads. Similarly, in the 11/28 LS/DS Tournament players each had two squads. The "winning squad" here went 2-0 with the hardest strength of schedule ("SOS1"). It was also was the winning squad in the finals, but that didn't have any bearing on appearing here.
DarthBainCapital
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2020 3:58:40 PM
Groups: Member

If you're considering second place squads, I'd recommend "Never Upset a Wookie."
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2020 4:01:17 PM

DarthBainCapital wrote:
If you're considering second place squads, I'd recommend "Never Upset a Wookie."

I'd go with 2nd place in the largest tournament(s) if we need them. But if we have a November and December Squad Swap tournament, that would get us to 6. If there are any other tournaments in the next two months and we can figure out who the "winner" of the Light-Dark tournament was, we'll have 8.
Mando
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2020 7:11:29 AM

It has been very nice getting so many games in on Vassal lately, so i think a seasonal tournament is a great way to keep this game going and people interested! there are so many squads out there to be played and new v-sets that introduce new metas. You can count me in to participate if we get Fall tournament of champions to go in January! getting to play at Gencon this last summer on Vassal was a great experience for me and i hope we can keep that level of participation and excitement going.
DarthBainCapital
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2020 7:17:56 AM

If it's possible, could we aim for the weekend of January 4th? I'm finally starting my real job second week of January and will probably have a lot less free time thereafter. Not sure if that's too close to the Holidays though.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2020 9:05:21 PM

DarthBainCapital wrote:
If it's possible, could we aim for the weekend of January 4th? I'm finally starting my real job second week of January and will probably have a lot less free time thereafter. Not sure if that's too close to the Holidays though.

That sounds like a good target. We'll see if it works out.

Updated the top post for the November squad swap winner.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2020 8:23:34 PM

Right now we have 5 squads for January. We'll have a December Squad Swap tournament, and there's a traditional tournament coming up around Thanksgiving. That will make 7 squads. Maybe there will also be another tournament before January, and that would give us 8. If we don't get an 8th tournament winner, I'll add the second-place squad in the largest tournament of the season. Right now, I believe that's Darth O's "C63 AMG" from the September Squad Swap tournament (7 players). But hopefully we'll see an 8th tournament in December, or one of these last two will be 8 or more players.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2020 6:56:47 AM

Updated with November LS/DS winner.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, December 6, 2020 1:58:55 AM

Ian and I have been playing some of these squads against each other when we play casually recently.

So far we think that the Sith Bane/Cognus squad should almost always beat Imperial Knights - Dun Moch makes it very hard to Cortosis Gauntlet Bane, and he has masses of force points for defence.

Talon/Boba/Din Djarin seems to match up really well against the Death Watch - Tor Viszla is key but it’s hard to keep him alive against Boba’s accurate and Din Djarin’s move 10 then shoot. I squealed out a win to go 1-1 but it involved Ian missing multiple kill shots. Bringing in a protector to bodyguard could help.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, December 6, 2020 9:48:58 AM

TheHutts wrote:
Ian and I have been playing some of these squads against each other when we play casually recently.

So far we think that the Sith Bane/Cognus squad should almost always beat Imperial Knights - Dun Moch makes it very hard to Cortosis Gauntlet Bane, and he has masses of force points for defence.

Talon/Boba/Din Djarin seems to match up really well against the Death Watch - Tor Viszla is key but it’s hard to keep him alive against Boba’s accurate and Din Djarin’s move 10 then shoot. I squealed out a win to go 1-1 but it involved Ian missing multiple kill shots. Bringing in a protector to bodyguard could help.

That's awesome - let us know what else you learn!
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2020 7:16:23 PM

Updated with Dec 2020 Vassal regional winner.

There were 8 players, so it's the largest of the tournaments this fall. Still planning to have a December squad swap tournament, but if it doesn't happen then Randy's non-Unique Death Watch (2nd place in the Vassal regional) will be the 8th squad for the January tournament.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2020 7:53:35 PM

So far, six factions represented:

OR, Sith, Republic, Imperial, Mando, Fringe x2 (both of them Talon squads, but the two have no overlap among their main attackers)
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, December 22, 2020 9:07:48 PM

Updated with the December Squad Swap winner.

If we have any other tournaments in the next week or 2, to make room I'll bump one of the squads from the tournaments where there wasn't a clear winner (since players had multiple squads). But if not - we're all set! We have 8 squads for a January tournament of champions. Exact format to be determined.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, December 22, 2020 9:42:57 PM

Wow - 7 factions in 8 squads, and the 2 Talon Karrde squads have all different main threats. That's cool!
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2020 7:32:31 PM

These squads will be entered in a Tournament of Champions. In order to seed them, I'm going with:

1. Fewest losses
2. Most wins
3. Most players in the tournament
4. Random

That leads to the following seeds (random.org decided seeds 4/5 and seeds 6/7):

1. "Sic 'Em!" by thereisnotry
2. "squad with no antares draco" by urbanjedi
3. "Karrde's New Mission" by TimmerB123
4. "Merciless Death" by Mando
5. "Night of the Hutt" by FlyingArrow
6. "Por que no los dos?" by FlyingArrow
7. "sith bane" by urbanjedi
8. "Army of Light Regional Squad" by Mando

Which means the brackets' first round will look like this:
===

1. "Sic 'Em!" by thereisnotry
vs
8. "Army of Light Regional Squad" by Mando

--

4. "Merciless Death" by Mando
vs
5. "Night of the Hutt" by FlyingArrow

===

2. "squad with no antares draco" by urbanjedi
vs
7. "sith bane" by urbanjedi

--

3. "Karrde's New Mission" by TimmerB123
vs
6. "Por que no los dos?" by FlyingArrow

===

Here's the thread for the tournament: http://www.bloomilk.com/Forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=30132