RegisterDonateLogin

+1 on the GTL.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

The game could use a Lobot-omy Options
adamb0nd
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2021 7:34:54 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Darth_Frenchy wrote:
I bring this stuff up because they are NPE's for me and do take the fun out of the game for me. The competition and skill in the game is why I play, but having every piece ever available is not skillful at all. Maybe this just isn't the game for me anymore.

Reinforcements both not costing points and having unlimited flexibility have been NPE's for a long time. Wonder why nobody has complained about that recently? Maybe they all stopped playing...

Lobot has been a competitive autoinclude (or near autoinclude) since universe. I don't love it, but I don't find it an NPE either. I just accept that Lobots a staple of the game, and most competitive squads are going to have 20 pts of wildcard. I'm really in favor with what the community feels is the best for the game. it sounds like your suggestion to improve it creates some new NPEs in the process though.
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2021 9:21:32 AM
Groups: Member

Darth_Frenchy wrote:
I bring this stuff up because they are NPE's for me and do take the fun out of the game for me. The competition and skill in the game is why I play, but having every piece ever available is not skillful at all. Maybe this just isn't the game for me anymore.

Reinforcements both not costing points and having unlimited flexibility have been NPE's for a long time. Wonder why nobody has complained about that recently? Maybe they all stopped playing...
I don't recall hearing of anyone complaining about Lobot before, and certainly not leaving because of him.

I recently built a squad with 4 or 5 variations because each of them had a weakness to one piece/tactic or another. But then I remembered Lobot (actually, it was this thread that reminded me! lol) and so I went with Lobot to close out my squad. Now I can bring in a BG where needed, or more door control, etc. Honestly, I prefer one version of the squad over the others, but that version would've had very bad matchups vs 1 or more squad types, so I took the less effective squad (overall) to prevent the really bad matchups. Perhaps that's me relying less on skill (because I'll still have a chance in the worst matchups)...or perhaps that's me relying more on skill (because the version with Lobot will be less powerful overall).

I hope you will start to find that SWM is the game for you again. It was good to play with you again (despite Daala showing up) and I hope you'll keep playing.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2021 10:32:33 AM

For the record I'd be fine with reinforcements costing points, as long as the piece with a reinforcement ability then costs the net total, not the original total. In this case any piece 10 or over (for 200) could score gambit.

(ie Lobot would be worth 7 to kill)

I think that would dull some of the NPE aspect that has been talked about, without unduly hurting other reinforcement pieces.

I'd also be ok with a straight ban on Lobot and Jabba DT (same issue as Lobot), as no other pieces are top tier and have access to all Fringe pieces 20 and under.

My main concern for blanket reinforcement nerfs is that it hurts pieces that it shouldn't. I don't think having reinforcement pieces count for kill points hurts other reinforcement pieces as long as the original piece is only worth the net.

If the complaint is near infinite selection -

Is the issue really:
A. Reinforcements (all of them)
B. FRINGE Reinforcements
C. FRINGE reinforcements on top tier pieces
or
D. just Lobot?

It sounds like the real issue is C or D.

If the complaint is reinforcement pieces not counting for kill point -

Would the issue be solved by making them cost points and the piece with a reinforcement ability cost the net?

If not - then what you're looking for is to penalize reinforcements.

So do all reinforcement pieces deserve to be punished? It sounds like virtually everyone thinks 'no' to this question.

Thereby, to single out specific pieces, I go back to just ban them. Heck - ban them for a year to see what happens. Doesn't have to be permanent.

I personally put Jabba DT and Lobot in the same boat. Whatever happens to one needs to happen to the other. I'd be fine banning them or not.

The only blanket change to reinforcements I'd be ok with is they count for kill points, the original piece counts the net, and any piece 10 or more can get gambit.

This can be in addition to banning Lobot and Jabba, or not.
DarkDracul
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2021 12:13:45 PM

thereisnotry wrote:
Darth_Frenchy wrote:

I don't recall hearing of anyone complaining about Lobot before, and certainly not leaving because of him.

I recently built a squad with 4 or 5 variations because each of them had a weakness to one piece/tactic or another. But then I remembered Lobot (actually, it was this thread that reminded me! lol) and so I went with Lobot to close out my squad. Now I can bring in a BG where needed, or more door control, etc. Honestly, I prefer one version of the squad over the others, but that version would've had very bad matchups vs 1 or more squad types, so I took the less effective squad (overall) to prevent the really bad matchups. Perhaps that's me relying less on skill (because I'll still have a chance in the worst matchups)...or perhaps that's me relying more on skill (because the version with Lobot will be less powerful overall).

I hope you will start to find that SWM is the game for you again. It was good to play with you again (despite Daala showing up) and I hope you'll keep playing.

That's not the point.

The problem with Reinforcement isn't as an ability to "side board." Selecting reinforcements to counter a competitive field during squadbuilding does require strategy and skill. Lots of games like Magic the Gathering allow for a sideboard. However, unlike SWM, every other competitive game's sideboard (Reinforcements) are; limited, restrict alteration, and operate the same as their normal counterparts.

Sideboards have limits in most competitive games. For instance, only being allowed to bring at most 15 cards in addition to a main deck. However, in SWM you can print a list of hundreds of options to hand to a tournament organizer. Players don't even have to list Reinforcements on their squad sheets because they get to play all the options.

The sideboard in most competitive games cannot be altered mid-tournament. You are supposed to choose your sideboard (reinforcements) during "deck" building. Once a tournament begins you can't go looking for counters to add to your sideboard. However, in SWM you can "squad build" during Set Up to add any counter to your squad without needing; a miniature, a card, or it even being on your squad sheet. It requires little to no skill because you didn't have to predict the meta or your opponents when you chose your reinforcements.

The sideboard in other competitive games doesn't change how those pieces work in the game. Prior to each match you add or replace cards (reinforcements) to your deck (squad) to counter your opponent. However, in SWM instead of acting as smart counters, reinforcements most often are used to spam pointless risk free characters to out-activate opponents. It's just a way of winning without having to have any skin in the game.

The change to 2pt characters and act control have lessened the annoyance of Reinforcements. However, that doesn't mean we couldn't do better. I for one wouldn't mind never again hearing, "that's not worth any points."
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2021 7:11:54 PM

DarkDracul wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:
Darth_Frenchy wrote:

That's not the point.

The problem with Reinforcement isn't as an ability to "side board." Selecting reinforcements to counter a competitive field during squadbuilding does require strategy and skill. Lots of games like Magic the Gathering allow for a sideboard. However, unlike SWM, every other competitive game's sideboard (Reinforcements) are; limited, restrict alteration, and operate the same as their normal counterparts.

Sideboards have limits in most competitive games. For instance, only being allowed to bring at most 15 cards in addition to a main deck. However, in SWM you can print a list of hundreds of options to hand to a tournament organizer. Players don't even have to list Reinforcements on their squad sheets because they get to play all the options.

The sideboard in most competitive games cannot be altered mid-tournament. You are supposed to choose your sideboard (reinforcements) during "deck" building. Once a tournament begins you can't go looking for counters to add to your sideboard. However, in SWM you can "squad build" during Set Up to add any counter to your squad without needing; a miniature, a card, or it even being on your squad sheet. It requires little to no skill because you didn't have to predict the meta or your opponents when you chose your reinforcements.

The sideboard in other competitive games doesn't change how those pieces work in the game. Prior to each match you add or replace cards (reinforcements) to your deck (squad) to counter your opponent. However, in SWM instead of acting as smart counters, reinforcements most often are used to spam pointless risk free characters to out-activate opponents. It's just a way of winning without having to have any skin in the game.

The change to 2pt characters and act control have lessened the annoyance of Reinforcements. However, that doesn't mean we couldn't do better. I for one wouldn't mind never again hearing, "that's not worth any points."

I've never played a game with a sideboard, so this is a new concept to me.

I've read your post a few times and I'm still not sure exactly what you're arguing for. How is it that you think Reinforcements should work? Are you advocating that we should have to choose our sideboard (reinforcement selections) before the tournament begins? Or are you advocating that we shouldn't have to?

If the issue is with the side-boarding issue then it seems like my suggestion of reinforcement pieces counting for points (and the Lobot/Jabba piece costing the net points) would not really address your concern. But I could be misunderstanding that too.

Anyway, I'd like to hear what you'd like to see happen. Just because I don't see a need to change something doesn't mean that nothing needs to change.

DarkDracul
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2021 10:19:31 PM

thereisnotry wrote:

I've never played a game with a sideboard, so this is a new concept to me.

I've read your post a few times and I'm still not sure exactly what you're arguing for. How is it that you think Reinforcements should work? Are you advocating that we should have to choose our sideboard (reinforcement selections) before the tournament begins? Or are you advocating that we shouldn't have to?

If the issue is with the side-boarding issue then it seems like my suggestion of reinforcement pieces counting for points (and the Lobot/Jabba piece costing the net points) would not really address your concern. But I could be misunderstanding that too.

Anyway, I'd like to hear what you'd like to see happen. Just because I don't see a need to change something doesn't mean that nothing needs to change.

WotC created both Magic the Gathering and Star Wars Miniatures and they share some parallels. Both collectible games allow for a Sideboard/ Reinforcements which are a set of cards, miniatures that are separate from the player's main deck/ squad. This allows players to customize a match strategy against opponents by changing the composition of their main deck/ squad.

In MtG you build a side deck of 15 cards separate from your main deck. When you build your deck you consider the strengths and weaknesses of your main deck vs various opponents. Do you expect to face many Control Decks, Aggro Decks, or Combo Decks? Your sideboard can help you in those various matches. You register your side deck and main deck prior to the tournament. At that point your sideboard is locked in and before each match you customize your main deck with your preselected pool of cards. Those cards operate no differently than if you had built them into your main deck originally. They don't give you any special advantages just because they came from your side deck.

So I'm not strongly arguing here because I've made my peace with how silly our game is long ago.
But here's how I think Reinforcements in Star Wars Miniatures should work.

Selected Reinforcement options may not exceed more than half the number of the build total.
Therefore, Fringe Reinforcements 20 gets at least 5 groups of 20 point options.
That has little effect on other types of Reinforcements since they have fewer options to worry about anyway.

A character costs half its printed cost (rounded down) after bringing Reinforcements into its squad. Characters brought in as Reinforcements count towards victory points when defeated and may collect gambit.
Half the "printed" cost means Lobot costs 13 points (not 7 points!) and 43 Jabba DT costs 21 points (not 15 points!) Because that's somewhat more reasonable IMHO. Or it could be rounded up as far as I care.

Reinforcement options must be preselected during squad building and registered on a squad sheet prior to the start of a tournament. Before to each match, Reinforcements must be selected from that same preselected reinforcement pool prior to Set Up and then revealed to the opponent in a timely fashion.

Yeet

thereisnotry
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2021 9:15:59 AM

Thanks for that. I think I understand you now.

You'd like to see a requirement that a pool of reinforcement pieces must be chosen before the tournament starts. That pool would contain up to 100pts of characters for a 200pt tournament or up to 75pts of characters for a 150pt tournament. I've already said that I think this is a bit excessive, especially since I've never really seen a problem with Reinforcements.

I think your suggestion of dropping Lobot/Jabba's cost by half (rather than just by its Reinforcement value) seems a bit awkward. Bib Fortuna has Rapport -8 for Jabba...would that be factored in before the 1/2 or after it?...would he give 17pts with Rapport -8, or 13pts when he's killed? I get that you want the Reinforcement ability to not be essentially free, but I'm not sure that the math would work out very well...what if we created a 60pt character with Reinforcements 20? Would he now be worth just 30 when killed, rather than 40 or 60? Valenthyne Farfalla costs 45pts, so that would mean that Reinforcements 20 drops his kill pts by more than 20. I think it's simpler to just drop the kill pts by the Reinforcement value.

Regardless, it's clear that you want to see the power of Reinforcements toned down and/or reined in a bit.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2021 9:28:07 AM

Advanced Interdiction [Replaces turn: All characters that were added to a squad as Reinforcements are defeated]
adamb0nd
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2021 9:55:36 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Advanced Interdiction [Replaces turn: All characters that were added to a squad as Reinforcements are defeated]

The counter to the counter-counter.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2021 11:11:14 AM

So I'm gonna ask the ridiculous devil's advocate question -

What happens when a player that is not on these boards (or just missed the ruling) shows up at a tournament with Lobot but no listed sideboard?

DQ'd?
Can't play with Lobot?
Delay the tournament while they figure it out?

Telling a player reinforcements count for kill points and the piece bringing them is the remaining cost takes less than 5 seconds, and doesn't effect their build. They can still play and nothing is delayed.
Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2021 11:55:41 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:

I have X so you don't get Y. Blink Please no...
Caedus
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2021 11:57:50 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:

What happens when a player that is not on these boards (or just missed the ruling) shows up at a tournament with Lobot but no listed sideboard?

DQ'd?
Can't play with Lobot?

Telling a player reinforcements count for kill points and the piece bringing them is the remaining cost takes less than 5 seconds, and doesn't effect their build. They can still play and nothing is delayed.

Ok, everyone realizes making lobot 7pts and the rein pieces count as kill points changes NOTHING, right? It is no different than Lobot costing 27pts and reins being free, because Math. Its like throwing warm water on an icy sidewalk. Its like a rocking chair, gives you something to do, but you're not getting anywhere. That solution is useless.
Caedus
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2021 12:01:30 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:

DQ'd?
Can't play with Lobot?

This has actually happened twice, and within a few years time.

One of the minnesota guys came to Chicago with the Krennic DT squad after the errata and Lily brought a poggle squad to GEN CON, forgetting about the below 3 cost. With both cases Time was granted to get the mistake figured out. Don't see why that cant happen now?
Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2021 12:20:57 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:

DQ'd?
Can't play with Lobot?

We accommodate them as best as we can. The same as with any other change a player might be unaware of. Bans, Gambit, Mice rapport, Naboo change, act control etc. Allow them some extra time to right down on the squad sheet, that already has a spot for reinforcements, some extra time if needed.

Most people that return to a game will seek out information. As we have seen both on Bloomilk and the Facebook group.
Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2021 12:34:24 PM

Caedus wrote:
Ok, everyone realizes making lobot 7pts and the rein pieces count as kill points changes NOTHING, right? It is no different than Lobot costing 27pts and reins being free, because Math. Its like throwing warm water on an icy sidewalk. Its like a rocking chair, gives you something to do, but you're not getting anywhere. That solution is useless.

It weakens MTB, weakens swap squads, takes away the NPE of killing pieces worth zero. That all is worth it to me, although I would prefer for reinforcements and bribery to work like reserves.
DarkDracul
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2021 12:41:10 PM

thereisnotry wrote:
Thanks for that. I think I understand you now.

You'd like to see a requirement that a pool of reinforcement pieces must be chosen before the tournament starts. That pool would contain up to 100pts of characters for a 200pt tournament or up to 75pts of characters for a 150pt tournament. I've already said that I think this is a bit excessive, especially since I've never really seen a problem with Reinforcements.

I think your suggestion of dropping Lobot/Jabba's cost by half (rather than just by its Reinforcement value) seems a bit awkward. Bib Fortuna has Rapport -8 for Jabba...would that be factored in before the 1/2 or after it?...would he give 17pts with Rapport -8, or 13pts when he's killed? I get that you want the Reinforcement ability to not be essentially free, but I'm not sure that the math would work out very well...what if we created a 60pt character with Reinforcements 20? Would he now be worth just 30 when killed, rather than 40 or 60? Valenthyne Farfalla costs 45pts, so that would mean that Reinforcements 20 drops his kill pts by more than 20. I think it's simpler to just drop the kill pts by the Reinforcement value.

Regardless, it's clear that you want to see the power of Reinforcements toned down and/or reined in a bit.

I love and play this game and I'm pleasantly surprised whenever we get any positive changes to the game.
Yeah, I'd love to see Reinforcements toned down because it's absurd how they work in this game.

You want to play a game where you show me your army and I get to pick the one thing that stops your army?
That sounds fair, right? Oh, you're playing BXs? Ok, I'm bringing in EV-9D9 who completely neuters your squad. Oh, you have CE Disruption? I'm bringing in Sy Snootles to ignore that. Oh, you have Master Tactician? I'm bringing in Munn Tactics Broker and a bunch of mice droids. The list of counters is HUGE, and some of them are pure HARD counters.

The fact that we have all of these counters is wonderful. The fact that Reinforcements lets you access them all at your leisure is ridiculous. Players don't even need to consider adding EV-9D9 to their Reinforcement pool for the next tournament because it's always available. Someone shows up to a tournament with an unexpected, outside of the box squad, no worries, Reinforcements can counter that too.

Yeah, I guess "Printed" cost wouldn't prevent Rapport from lowering the cost after the printed cost was halved.
Perhaps the best solution would be for it to drop the cost by the Reinforcement value and ignore Rapport.
DarkDracul
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2021 12:57:16 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:

DQ'd?
Can't play with Lobot?

It's mainly an issue for tournament organizers.
Hand out squad sheets, remind players that any and ALL characters used today must be listed on their squad sheet. (or an attached sheet). That's how some of us used to play before the v-sets.

imyurhukaberry
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2021 1:30:55 PM

I've always wondered why the characters brought in by Reinforcements are not simply worth their points...and instead you have to track down a 27 pt character and drop kick him once to get those points.

Is there an old game mechanic that WOTC (Rob was it?) wanted for that?
The glossary on here didn't help much.

I know that won't help much with the counter availability, but that's inherent with an old ability that has lasted thru how many sets in a game where competitiveness has created lower and lower costed characters to counter winning combos/squads.

But maybe changing that one thing will help a bit...
DarkDracul
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2021 2:34:01 PM

imyurhukaberry wrote:
I've always wondered why the characters brought in by Reinforcements are not simply worth their points...and instead you have to track down a 27 pt character and drop kick him once to get those points.

Is there an old game mechanic that WOTC (Rob was it?) wanted for that?
The glossary on here didn't help much.

I know that won't help much with the counter availability, but that's inherent with an old ability that has lasted thru how many sets in a game where competitiveness has created lower and lower costed characters to counter winning combos/squads.

But maybe changing that one thing will help a bit...

The simple answer is that SWM was not originally designed for serious organized competitive play. It has been the players who have added gambit, floor rules, changed rules, to make the game somewhat acceptable.

Reinforcements may be unlimited in squadbuilding but tounament organisers and judges can always require players to only play reinforcement characters listed on their squad sheet or provided list of reinforcements. Actually, I'm going to start enforcing that in my tournaments.
adamb0nd
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2021 3:48:11 PM

Rob ( I think you're right on that name) also wasn't ever too concerned (or calculating) with balance or mechanics. I remember him saying there was no formula to point costs. He just went with his gut. Lobot might work the way he does because it was Rob's first idea and no one challenged it until this thread.

I question if all this effort is enough to get the desired results. It was mentioned 100 pts is still enough to hard counter most things. Would an even smaller pool be be advised? If mtg has 15 side cards, that's 25% of a deck. 50 pts in our SWM.