RegisterDonateLogin

Attachment is forbidden. Possession is forbidden. Bloo Milk...is essential to a Jedi's life.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Next long form tournament? Options
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2021 9:27:02 AM
Groups: Member

I was rolling around some ideas in my head for what might be fun. I personally really like being able to switch up squads on these. This thread is just for brainstorming ideas.

Unique tournament (over 75% of all squads must be uniques)

Faction pure (no fringe, must switch faction every week, never the same faction twice)

Light vs dark - have (at least) 1 LS faction and 1 DS faction ready, and roll to pick LS or DS. This time around you don't get to see the options beforehand. Simul-reveal whatever squad you choose on the side you are assigned. Can't use the same faction 2 weeks in a row, can't ever have more than 50% of the same characters in a squad as any other week.

TILE WARS!?! (different faction every week, 8th cortex banned)

Let me know if something looks awesome, or throw out ideas of your own!

thereisnotry
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2021 11:55:14 AM

For a long-form event, do you mean that it would be a round-robin style (as we are using in the NU League), or a Swiss format over the period of several weeks? Round-robins tend to take at least twice as long as a Swiss format...which might be fine, but this probably needs to be clarified.
TimmerB123 wrote:
Light vs dark - have (at least) 1 LS faction and 1 DS faction ready, and roll to pick LS or DS. This time around you don't get to see the options beforehand. Simul-reveal whatever squad you choose on the side you are assigned.

I do like the idea of a LS vs DS long-form event.

TimmerB123 wrote:
Can't use the same faction 2 weeks in a row, can't ever have more than 50% of the same characters in a squad as any other week.
To me, this seems a bit restrictive. I think it's enough that you can't use the same faction 2 weeks in a row.

Maybe the structure would be something like this....

--Players simultaneously reveal the FACTION of the LS and of the DS squad that they've chosen.
--Players roll off to see who chooses the faction.
--Players simultaneously reveal their specific squads (ie, squad-links), roll for map (or map is automatically 'won' by the person who lost the faction roll, etc) and play their game as normal.
--Then, whatever faction you used this week, you cannot choose from during the next week (though you could choose from that faction again during the following week, if you wanted).

Personally, I think Tile Wars would be fun for a single day event, but I'm not so intrigued about it for a long-form event.

thereisnotry
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2021 12:02:13 PM

One other idea for an out-of-the-ordinary format:

Squad-Builder's Pressure Cooker
--200pt squads.
--Both players come to the game with 150pts of their squads built (including preferred map choice). These are the two squads that will be used for the match, but as for which player plays which squad...that's up for grabs.
--Players roll off to see who will play with which squad (this is to prevent you building a junk squad for your opponent to use, because you might end up using your own). Whoever wins the roll-off chooses the squad that they use, from the two available, and the other player uses the remaining squad.
--Both players have 10 or 15 minutes to fill out the last 50pts of their squad.
--The match begins with a map roll, and play proceeds as normal.

You want to build a solid squad base so that you don't get stuck with a crappy squad if you lose the roll. But maybe you don't want it to be too good, because you might have to play against it.... You also need to be able to think on the fly and work with what you've got, so it requires an additional level of creativity and adaptability. It seems to me that, once you've got 150 our of your 200pts chosen, the main focus/direction of the squad is already decided, so you just need to season it to suit your taste (and your opponent's squad base).

Could be fun, and a bit different than normal.

EDIT: If 150/50 seems a bit too deterministic, then perhaps a 125/75 split might work better. A 100/100 split would probably be too flexible, IMO.

You could also add a restriction, that you cannot use the same faction as your base for 2 weeks in a row.
Darth O
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2021 7:09:51 PM

I love all of these ideas! I would play every single one of them.
Mando
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2021 7:47:14 PM

i love the idea of faction pure matches for long term tournament! i think every faction has now got tools to handle door control so no one is at a disadvantage there.

LS vs DS would be fun also.

Long ago we did a Booster league on Vassal that was fun where you got random pieces to use from boosters pulled on bloomilk and you had to make a squad with what you got. Some crazy combos happened. If you won, you got a booster from pre-vsets expansion. If you lost, you got a booster from a V-set expansion. kinda balanced things out and you got to use pieces you'd never used before.

I always loved playing Royal Rumble, so maybe a long term Royal Rumble tournament could be fun? We've had so many more great high cost pieces since i played Royal Rumble last time that the combos would be very interesting.
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2021 11:18:44 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
For a long-form event, do you mean that it would be a round-robin style (as we are using in the NU League), or a Swiss format over the period of several weeks? Round-robins tend to take at least twice as long as a Swiss format...which might be fine, but this probably needs to be clarified.

I have always enjoyed round robin (every player plays every other player once) format. But that's always open to what the group consensus is.
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2021 11:21:33 AM

Mando wrote:
i love the idea of faction pure matches for long term tournament! i think every faction has now got tools to handle door control so no one is at a disadvantage there.

LS vs DS would be fun also.

These could also be combined. Fringe can only be played in FRINGE ONLY squads.
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2021 11:26:54 AM

thereisnotry wrote:

TimmerB123 wrote:
Can't use the same faction 2 weeks in a row, can't ever have more than 50% of the same characters in a squad as any other week.
To me, this seems a bit restrictive. I think it's enough that you can't use the same faction 2 weeks in a row.

The thought behind the additional restriction is to not play the same squad all tournament. You can use the same faction in non-simultaneous weeks, but it has to be significantly different (ie - Republic Commandos and Republic Cin/Serra), not just changing a couple uggies and using the same squad.

But I guess ultimately it doesn't matter. I bet most players will want to switch it up anyway.

We could also say you can't play the same faction twice period. With 7-8 players, not an issue. If we get more we can ammend
spryguy1981
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2021 3:48:36 PM

Booster League!
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2021 10:40:30 PM

spryguy1981 wrote:
Booster League!

How exactly does that work?
adamb0nd
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2021 11:38:21 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I would think to TO would need to generate 2x boosters for all players before match-pairings have been set. Usually it's 2x boosters and 125 points, no faction restrictions. But in a competitive virtual world, you need someone to generate the boosters for your players to keep it all transparent and honest. You'd need to do this each week if it's an ongoing league.

Not sure how it would look beyond that. Do you post the booster characters before the match to give the players time to build before play? Or are these boosters sent in private and revealed at the start of the match?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2021 11:42:05 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

We had booster leagues years ago... there are some variations of how they worked, but the basic principle is that you start out with 2 boosters (randomly generated boosters from bloomilk) and the first week is basically just a sealed game. Then each week you get another booster and add those to your "collection". You can only use the pieces in your collection, and you collection grows over the course of the league.

Exact rules aren't set in stone...
* Did you just start out with 2 or was it more boosters?
* Does everyone get boosters from the same set or is there some degree of choice? There was talk of having boosters for "sale", where you had to choose what set your booster came from but some sets cost more than others. (Boosters bought with some sort of in-game currency.) Not sure if a league was ever run with that format, though.
* Is it factionless for the whole league, or does it switch to faction-based squads after the collections get large enough?

It's a fun idea, and it would be cool to do one again, but it seems like an August to December sort of event (to not conflict with regionals season). Since there's a lot of overhead with managing the collections, passing out and receiving boosters, etc.
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2021 3:56:29 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
It's a fun idea, and it would be cool to do one again, but it seems like an August to December sort of event (to not conflict with regionals season). Since there's a lot of overhead with managing the collections, passing out and receiving boosters, etc.

I agree with this for now. Let's keep it in mind. Perhaps immediately after GenCon, and we start with 2 boosters of set 22? Good way to get a quick introduction to it!
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2021 4:00:43 PM

thereisnotry wrote:

I do like the idea of a LS vs DS long-form event.

Maybe the structure would be something like this....

--Players simultaneously reveal the FACTION of the LS and of the DS squad that they've chosen.
--Players roll off to see who chooses the faction.
--Players simultaneously reveal their specific squads (ie, squad-links), roll for map (or map is automatically 'won' by the person who lost the faction roll, etc) and play their game as normal.
--Then, whatever faction you used this week, you cannot choose from during the next week (though you could choose from that faction again during the following week, if you wanted).

I'm intrigued by this. Do you make an atypical squad for that faction to throw off your opponent? IE Old Republic, most players would assume they're gonna see some Jedi. Then you plop down a Soldier/Trooper squad and surprise them.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, March 1, 2021 10:50:01 AM

I think tint's post in the snowy regional thread was meant for here - saying essentially he wants to try out regional worthy squads without restrictions. I hear that.

I am thinking if we did the light vs dark with no other restrictions, players could easily bring their regional squads, but still have a fun tournament theme going on.

Thats where I'm leaning