SWM Vassal Mod UPDATE: version 2.0 Options
Darth_Jim
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2021 6:53:27 PM
Groups: Member

I updated Vassal. I just can't get 22.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Sunday, July 18, 2021 1:43:04 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I don't know what you did, but my pieces now show as moved when I use the arrow keys to move them (they didn't on the earlier update). It was a minor annoyance, but I'm glad it's fixed!
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, July 19, 2021 7:33:48 AM

Yeah, I'm not sure what's happening there. The main window is now NOT registering the movement of my pieces, which has never happened for me until now. So weird.

I wonder if it has something to do with unknown interactions with the new version of the Vassal engine? Regardless, the mod still works properly so we're good to go.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Monday, July 19, 2021 8:14:45 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
Yeah, I'm not sure what's happening there. The main window is now NOT registering the movement of my pieces, which has never happened for me until now. So weird.

I wonder if it has something to do with unknown interactions with the new version of the Vassal engine? Regardless, the mod still works properly so we're good to go.

That IS weird. Some sort of weird interaction for sure.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, July 19, 2021 8:47:02 AM

I dumped the whole thing and started from scratch. Everything is up to date and working fine for me
Caedus
Posted: Monday, July 19, 2021 8:55:27 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
I dumped the whole thing and started from scratch. Everything is up to date and working fine for me

+1 Did the same thing myself
Udorian84
Posted: Monday, July 19, 2021 9:24:43 AM

Worked well for me too. Thanks!
spryguy1981
Posted: Monday, July 19, 2021 9:40:18 AM

Yeah, I dumped my vassal and reinstalled and now all is well.
thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2021 8:50:30 PM

Version 22.1 is now available. It is adjusted to account for the Restricted Map List, with the new maps from JediCartographer's Map Pack 8 added in.
Mando
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2021 4:13:17 AM

thanks Trevor for you hard work!ThumpUp
thereisnotry
Posted: Thursday, February 3, 2022 6:10:49 PM

Version 23.0 is now available (use the link in the first post of this thread)
--Added all the new characters from V-Set 23.
--Characters with Override or Breach or Satchel Charge have the associated shortcuts, as per the new normal.
--Hunter has the cool “Mission: Acquisition” ability, so I created a marker for it. You can access it by R-clicking on his character and choosing the top menu item, or else by highlighting him and pressing CTRL-E. This functions just like other things of this nature, such as Talia’s Invisibility Potion ability.
Caedus
Posted: Thursday, February 3, 2022 6:35:55 PM

Awesome!!
thereisnotry
Posted: Friday, August 5, 2022 9:26:08 AM

Version 24.0 is now available (use the link in the first post of this thread)
--Added all the new characters from V-Set 24.
--ALSO: In the past it has been tedious to find out what the name of a character is on the map. It used to be that you could r-click on a character and you would see its name in the popup menu, but when I revised the Vassal mod a few years ago I didn't have a way to keep that information. Well, fret no longer! I've found a way to do it. Whenever you r-click on a character, its name will show up at the top of the popup window. It is attached to the "Identify" command (which still works the same way that it has in the past). This was a tedious process of going through each character, one by one, to add this information; it took forever, but I think it be helpful from now on.

Unfortunately, if you want to have this functionality then you'll need to re-save your saved squads.

As always, please let me know if you see any bugs, errors, or omissions.

TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, September 1, 2022 12:36:57 PM

thereisnotry wrote:
Version 24.0 is now available (use the link in the first post of this thread)
--Added all the new characters from V-Set 24.
--ALSO: In the past it has been tedious to find out what the name of a character is on the map. It used to be that you could r-click on a character and you would see its name in the popup menu, but when I revised the Vassal mod a few years ago I didn't have a way to keep that information. Well, fret no longer! I've found a way to do it. Whenever you r-click on a character, its name will show up at the top of the popup window. It is attached to the "Identify" command (which still works the same way that it has in the past). This was a tedious process of going through each character, one by one, to add this information; it took forever, but I think it be helpful from now on.

Unfortunately, if you want to have this functionality then you'll need to re-save your saved squads.

As always, please let me know if you see any bugs, errors, or omissions.

Thank you again, for your tireless commitment to helping our game continue with this valuable resource!
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2022 7:58:15 PM

Version 24 new is now available (use the link in the first post of this thread)
When you load this new version of the mod, these are the first words you should see in the Vassal info window:
"- SWM Skirmish Game version 24 new"

Here's the thing: I was originally planning to publish this update as part of the V-Set 25 update, in the new year when that releases. However, with the Galactic Escalation league happening now (starting mid-November), and since that league uses the new maplist, and since some of the maps on that maplist are a pain in the neck to find on the older version of vassal...I chose to publish the update now.

**NOTE** This version of the Vassal module is not compatible with previous versions. If you have the newer version and your opponent has the old version, they will not cooperate very well...your opponent should take a few moments to download the new one.

There are some significant changes to the SWM Skirmish vassal mod, so please take a moment to read the following:

---- Each of the 10 factions has its own color on its cards: NR has green, OR has yellow, Vong have purple, etc. And yet Vassal only has 4 colors…until now! Each faction now has its own player colors, which correspond (fairly closely) to the colors on the stat cards (yes, there are now 10 different colors, rather than just 4). Door markers and Scorecard markers all have colored borders (in these 10 colors) that you can change to copy your characters’ colors, if you wish to do so. In the figure lists you’ll find that each of the characters starts with its faction’s color: so all Rebels start off with a red player color indicator, while all Sith characters start off with an orange indicator, all Vong start off with purple, etc. “What if you play a mirror match?” No problem: just press CTRL-P (as always) to change the character colors to something else. In fact, you’re free to change your squad’s colors to be whatever you want them to be (just like always)...you just have more choice now. It's a small thing, and probably not a big deal to many people, but some people will probably enjoy it.

---- I noticed that a certain character (Supreme Leader Snoke) had the wrong RM, so I fixed that.

---- I expect that, with the addition of Tulak Hord, the Imperial Agent will start to see more frequent play. The Imperial Agent has a conditional ability (Cover Screen) that lasts until the start of its next turn, so I added a special ability toggle for that one, which functions exactly as the one for Bastilla’s ABM, Atris’ Force Meditation, Arca Jeth FS’s Battlemind, etc. Use it if you find it helpful.

---- Have you ever tried to navigate the list of maps in the SWM Vassal module? What a mess! It doesn’t help that many maps are known by different names. And how should I organize them: alphabetically, or according to release date, or according to their status (Open, Standard, etc), or what? The old map system on Vassal was definitely NOT working! So I fixed it. "Why do all maps now have a number?" It’s because, in the end, I’ve decided to lean on Kezzamachine’s superb resource: https://swmgamers.com/SWM/Rules/FullMaplist2022.pdf. Kez lists the maps (mostly) in order of release, and he even gives a number to each map…I’ve decided to follow that organization and numbering system. All of the maps on Vassal are now sorted in order of release (with the classic Death Star map showing up first), following Kez’s document. Also, for ease of access I’ve moved all of the maps that are currently on the Restricted Map List to their own smaller section at the very top of the map listing, so that they’re easy to find. If you’re looking for a specific esoteric map that you played on a decade ago, then you should look first at Kez’s document (with that document you can CTRL-F to search for your map’s name), then remember that map’s number, then scroll through the Vassal mod listing (which is sorted by number) to load your map. At this point I’ve gathered around 80% of the maps on Kez’s list...if anyone has access to the ones I don't have (mostly the newer ones) then please let me know.

So, these are the changes. Some of them are significant...hence the current "24 new" designation. Don't worry, when V-Set 25 is released on Vassal we'll be back to the regular numbering pattern.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2022 9:29:52 PM

Thanks, Trevor.

(I think the OneDrive link is set to private, though- when I click it, I get the message that "this item might not exist or is no longer available".) Never mind, it's working fine now.
thereisnotry
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2022 8:18:52 AM

gandalfthegreatestwizard wrote:
Thanks, Trevor.

(I think the OneDrive link is set to private, though- when I click it, I get the message that "this item might not exist or is no longer available".) Never mind, it's working fine now.
Yeah that’s because I noticed a rather nasty bug after posting the link. I had to fix it quickly before everybody downloaded it. Looking by at the time you made this post, it looks like you were trying to download it while I was working on it. If you happen to encounter any problems with not being able to drag certain pieces onto the map, then please delete your mod file and re-download it. I checked and everything should be functioning properly now.
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2023 6:47:14 AM

Version 25a is now available (use the link in the first post of this thread)
When you load this new version of the mod, these are the first words you should see in the Vassal info window:
"- SWM Skirmish Game version 25a"

**NOTE** This version of the Vassal module is compatible with previous versions, for the most part. Any squads build before this module was released will not have the new functionality. And the Scorecards will work differently. And obviously, the version 24 mod won't have the new Scoreboard function. Speaking of that, I've made a video, which you should watch to learn about all of the changes (pretty big stuff here!):
Star Wars Miniatures Vassal Module Update (March 2023)

So yes, unfortunately, you'll once again have to re-create and re-save all of your saved squads on Vassal if you want them to have this functionality.

Enjoy!
Mando
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2023 7:03:43 AM

thanks Trevor! the video is unavailable to watch it says when i click the link tho. would love to see what the new updates are! thank you so much for your hard work you do for the community!
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2023 7:22:05 AM

Thanks for the heads-up. I've made a change to it, so please let me know if it doesn't work now.