RegisterDonateLogin

Will train this boy.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Spheres of Influence League - Round Themes, pairings, results Options
Udorian84
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2021 12:13:31 PM
Groups: Member

PS: I WANTED TO FORCE STORM OR REPULSE 5 AND COULDN'T AT ALL!!!!
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2021 3:05:57 PM

Udorian84 wrote:
PS: I WANTED TO FORCE STORM OR REPULSE 5 AND COULDN'T AT ALL!!!!

Yeah without Ysalamiri both would have been very different games
Udorian84
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2021 6:00:09 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:

I used Gideon to attack, (rolled a 1 then a 2 on my double!), but we then realized the 2 still hit with doctrine of fear (missed the parry, couldn't reroll due to Ysalamiri, she took 40).

I think we played Doctrine of Fear wrong. It doesn't give me -4 to defense it gives me -4 to attacks (Traps is what gives off the -4 to defense). HAHA good to know for the future though. I was just diving into Vong and saw Doctrine of Fear on Sha'kel and read it.
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2021 8:46:20 PM

Udorian84 wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

I used Gideon to attack, (rolled a 1 then a 2 on my double!), but we then realized the 2 still hit with doctrine of fear (missed the parry, couldn't reroll due to Ysalamiri, she took 40).

I think we played Doctrine of Fear wrong. It doesn't give me -4 to defense it gives me -4 to attacks (Traps is what gives off the -4 to defense). HAHA good to know for the future though. I was just diving into Vong and saw Doctrine of Fear on Sha'kel and read it.

Omg you’re right! I totally confused it with traps! Oh man I’m an idiot
Udorian84
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2021 2:56:51 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:

Omg you’re right! I totally confused it with traps! Oh man I’m an idiot

No problem, it might have stopped an attack or two but that is all. I would have missed a crucial attack or two as well. I can think of Talias attack on the unit bodyguard piece that barely hit as a definite one that would have missed. I would have played the same way.
Mando
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2021 8:19:25 AM

In Tim's Moff Gideon squad, i thought the Death Troopers wouldn't be able to benefit from Krenics CE because they cost 28 points and Chain of Command on Gideon makes higher cost imperials not subject to lower cost imperials CE's.
DarkDracul
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2021 8:50:21 AM

Mando wrote:
In Tim's Moff Gideon squad, i thought the Death Troopers wouldn't be able to benefit from Krenics CE because they cost 28 points and Chain of Command on Gideon makes higher cost imperials not subject to lower cost imperials CE's.

27pt Director Orson Krennic has Rapport 3 for Death Troopers making them cost 25.
Chain of Command doesn't say "printed cost" so the lower Rapport cost makes them eligible for Krennic's CEs.
DarkDracul
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2021 9:57:16 AM

Round 2 Match 1
Darkdracul (Imperials) defeats Spryguy1984 (Separatists) 237-210 (3-1)

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/211237/f-o--double-supreme
--F.O. Double Supreme #1--
42 Supreme Leader Snoke
38 Supreme Leader Kylo Ren
23 General Hux
88 Knight of Ren x4
8 RA–7 First Order Protocol Droid
5 Stormtrooper
(200pts. 9 activations)

vs

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/229765/seppie-pirates
--Seppie Pirates--
48 Nym
33 Aurra Sing, Assassin
33 Enfys Nest
31 Vette
30 Arvo Norstag, Pirate King
26 The Crimson Corsair (Sidon Ithano)
19 Benthic, Partisan Lieutenant
15 Ponda Baba, Galactic Criminal
10 Pirate Breachman x2
(245pts. 10 activations)

I won map and he chose right side on Imperial Garrison. Very helpful in this match!

Round 1:
We both run into gambit but no killing happens.
Bry: 10 Spry: 10

Round 2:
Spry wins init. Benthic Ambush+Mobile shoots a Knight of Ren (Kor) missing both and runs away. Snoke Dark Links Nym and Kylo towards each other and a KoR runs 8 to put 40 damage Nym. Vette double atks KoR who Power Shields the damage. Nym misses his attack and takes an AoO to escape Kylo’s reach but the KoR crits putting Nym to 20hp. A KoR comes up and damages Benthic. Another KoR runs around and opens a door at top of Gambit. Enfys Nest battering charges the two KoR damaging one of them. Ponda Baba runs to bodyguard Nym. Kylo runs 14 squares to base Nym and KoR runs 12 to base Enfys Nest. Aurra doubles for 50/50 dam on Kylo but a KoR dies bodyguarding. Arvo drops an undamaged KoR to 40hp. Stormie and Hux shoot and miss. Crimson Corsair nades but KoR makes the saves and Benthic fails and is at 20hp.
Bry: 20 Spry: 41

Round 3:
Spry wins init. Nym doubles Kylo to 60hp. Kylo rages to kill Nym but Ponda dies bodyguarding. KoR kills Nym and bases Kylo to bodyguard. Arvo damages Kylo’s KoR bodyguard Enfys Nest takes 40dam on an AoO and battering charages a 30hp and 50 hp KoR. He rolls a 1 on the 30hp and puts 40 on the other leaving it with 10hp. 10hp KoR goes and doubles Vette to 10hp. The 30hp KoR doubles on Enfys who fails all her parry rolls and dies. Crimson runs up and kills 10hp KoR and Stormie. Snoke Chain Lightnings to kill Vette, Benthic, and put 20dam on Crimson and Arvo. Hux fires at Crimson but misses.
Bry: 143 Spry: 88

Round 4:
Spry wins init. Aurra kills Kylo. The last remaining 30hp KoR goes and kills Crimson Corsair. Snoke Chain Lightings killing 2 Breachman and puts damage on Aurra and then he Force Stuns Arvo.
Bry: 184 Spry 146

Round 5:
I win init! Snoke Force Stuns Aurra twice and runs away but she makes both saves. Aurra takes a 40dam AoO from Hux and kills my last KoR. Hux shoots Aurra to 20hp.
Bry: 194 Spry: 167

Round 6:
I win init!! That seals the deal as Snoke zaps Aurra dead . . Arvo kills Hux and hides in gambit.
Bry: 237 Spry: 210

Epic game Spry! I don't think I could have pulled it off without my map and favorable dice rolls.
Thank goodness for my Vassal premium membership!
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2021 11:37:21 AM

DarkDracul wrote:
Mando wrote:

27pt Director Orson Krennic has Rapport 3 for Death Troopers making them cost 25.
Chain of Command doesn't say "printed cost" so the lower Rapport cost makes them eligible for Krennic's CEs.

Also Gideon's rapport 3 makes them 22 cost.

In this squad, I took great care that every commander only effects lower cost characters.
-Gideon is the most expensive and effects everyone (except the Death Star Troopers, too cheap for the CE)
-Krennic is next and effects all the troopers (22 and 6 cost, all below 27)
-then Pellaeon. He was mainly there for Ysalamiri, but he could have swapped out Motti or Ozzel. Ozzel would be the only realistic choice, and you'd never swap out Gideon or Krennic even if you could.
-then Motti - who only effects the 6pt Death Star Troopers anyway (but is AWESOME!)
-Ozzel affects number of activations, not characters directly, so this is moot as I understand it. In my game he only hurt me, never helped me at all, lol. Had I positioned him better maybe he'd have been useful (shutting on and off his CE due to LoS). (If I'm wrong and you can only activate 1 only if the character is equal to or less than Ozzel, then it's really oddball. You only could actually use that to your benefit in some cases.)
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2021 11:39:15 AM

DarkDracul wrote:
Round 2 Match 1
Darkdracul (Imperials) defeats Spryguy1984 (Separatists) 237-210 (3-1)

Another awesome game! Wish we could have seen Arvo and Snoke duke it out at the end.
Mando
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2021 6:12:10 AM

DarkDracul wrote:
Mando wrote:

good to know! i was always afraid of running Gideon with Krenic because i thought the death troopers wouldn't work in it with getting both CE's. glad to see that Chain of Command allows rapport to influence who gets it. I'm so used to stuff working with printed cost, so i had just assumed that the ruling on Chain of Command worked the same way. Thanks!
Udorian84
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2021 10:23:18 AM

Mando wrote:
DarkDracul wrote:
Mando wrote:

good to know! i was always afraid of running Gideon with Krenic because i thought the death troopers wouldn't work in it with getting both CE's. glad to see that Chain of Command allows rapport to influence who gets it. I'm so used to stuff working with printed cost, so i had just assumed that the ruling on Chain of Command worked the same way. Thanks!

So it seems that Rapport cost does not work with Gideon, he uses Printed Cost.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2021 12:15:09 PM

Udorian84 wrote:
Mando wrote:
DarkDracul wrote:
Mando wrote:

So it seems that Rapport cost does not work with Gideon, he uses Printed Cost.

Yeah, crap. Sorry again Mike.

Luckily in our game the only time I used Unit Bodyguard was against lightsaber attacks, and they are already do not get reduced via Krennic's CE.

However, Death Troopers would thereby NOT count as Stormtroopers, and thus not have benefitted from Squad Assault or Squad Firepower, which would have made a big difference in our game.

Nor would they have gotten the movement (which I forgot at least twice with Krennic, but I think I still used once.)

Well considering the mess of rules screwups here, I am certainly willing to give the win to Udorian84. Unlike the Doctrine of Fear mistake, which cut both ways, this mistake solely benefitted me.
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2021 10:32:25 AM

For full transparency -

Mike (Udorian84) and I have been discussing how to handle our game with the rules mix-ups. Since the major mess up benefitted me exclusively (and ultimately was my mistake), I offered him the win. He denied that outright. We reached the conclusion to just play the match again, which we will be doing tonight.

Per the official rules, if an illegal game state is reached, the game must back up and start again from that point. Since we played the whole game that way, rewinding to the start is the only choice.

This all feels eerily familiar too. What is it with the dang Death Troopers!?!
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2021 6:44:30 PM

Mike and I replayed our game. Long and short, end result was the same - My Imperials 200+ over Mike's Separatists 117 (game was closer than the score).

It was really tense, and positioning was huge. Glad we replayed, and Mike was a great sport about it all.
thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2021 7:32:47 PM

thereisnotry (Imperial) defeats Mando (Rebel), 210-105 (3-1)

tint's squad:
--As You Wish--
71 Lord Vader
32 Thrawn (Mitth'raw'nuruodo)
31 Arica
27 Lobot
18 Rukh
8 Mas Amedda
4 Gran Raider
6 Rodian Brute x2
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
Reinforcements:
(Lobot) 13 Amanin Scout
(Lobot) 6 Rodian Brute x2
(200pts. 13 activations)

Mando's squad:
--Rebel Manuevers (SoI round 2, game #1)--
44 Luke Skywalker, Hero of Endor
27 Biggs Darklighter, Rebel Pilot
21 Jon "Dutch" Vander
21 Lando Calrissian, Infiltrator
18 Artoo-Detoo (R2-D2)
18 Klatooinian Captain
13 Jek Porkins
12 See-Threepio (C-3PO)
11 Admiral Raddus
8 Juno Eclipse
6 Green Squadron Pilot
(199pts. 11 activations)

We played on Imperial Garrison and I chose to play from the left side.

Round 1: Mando advanced some of his guys a bit, but 3 of them (Biggs, Porkin, Greeny) were close to the gambit room (but the door was locked). At the end of the round I ran my Amanin and then swapped for Arica, who had to spend a FP to shoot Biggs for 40dmg.

Round 2: I won init and then Blaster Barraged to kill the Greeny, bring Biggs to 10hp (rolled a 1 on an attack vs him), and Porkin had learned to dance so he took no damage. Arica tried to get away, but Biggs had no trouble tracking her down with Speed 8 for the kill. Later this round Mando opened the door and used Knight Speed to run Luke 20 squares to attack Thrawn and Mas...but the door was closed. Therefore, because he had already taken some AoOs he diverted his attack run to smash into Vader for 70 and kill my Ug. Vader Overwhelmed him with Force and he dropped. Mando advanced some guys. I swapped Ruhk so that he could charge Biggs to death.

Round 3: I ran Ruhk to safety. Porkins charged into Vader for another 30dmg, and pushed Vader into range of Dutch's Grenade 20...and Vader was at 20hp!! Not good. So, in my most brilliant move of the day, I activated Vader and RAN HIM AWAY, to hid behind Thrawn! This allowed me to save the swap for later this round. Mando moved Lando up within 6 of Mas and Vader and Thrawn, so I ran my Amanin to base Lando, and swapped Vader next to him.

Round 4: Vader Assaulted Lando to death, and then bravely ducked around a corner to hide. Mando killed Ruhk and continued to advance his troops and pick off my swap fodder. At the end of the round he had Dutch and the Klat and R2 all beside each other, but within 6 of Juno's Disruptive, so Thrawn shot Dutch and swapped Vader for Lobot, 7 squares from Juno.

Round 5: Vader lept in and Swept up the Klat, the 40hp Dutch, and put another 40dmg on R2. Mando missed his attacks with R2 and Juno, so Vader survived the round. At this point it was just Juno and R2 and 3P0 and Raddus left, and Mando conceded.

It was a real nail-biter for the last few rounds, when Vader was trying to survive with 20hp. Initiative control and swap were enough to keep him around until he could neutralize the rest of the opposing threats. Very good game, Mando!
thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2021 7:45:11 PM

thereisnotry (Separatist) defeats Mando (Imperial), 220-20 (3-0)

tint's squad:
--Hard Knock Life--
43 Jabba Desilijic Tiure
35 Asajj Ventress, Nightsister
31 Mother Talzin
50 Nightsister Hunter x2
21 Talia, Nightsister Hunter
17 Ortugg, Gamorrean Leader
8 R7 Astromech Droid
3 Mouse Droid
Reinforcements:
9 Mouse Droid x3
9 Rodian Brute x3
2 Kneesaa, Ewok Princess
(228pts. 16 activations)

Mando's squad:
--The Warlords Wingmen (SoI round 2, game #2)--
47 Moff Gideon
27 Soontir Fel, Commander of the 181st
27 Turr Phennir
18 Davin Felth
14 IT-O Interrogator Droid
48 181st Imperial Pilot x4
8 R7 Astromech Droid
12 Buzz Droid x2
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
(204pts. 13 activations)

We played on Imperial Garrison again because Mando won the map roll again. I chose the left again.

Round 1: Both of us advanced to gambit, no attacks.

Round 2: More spinning of fodder on both sides, then Gideon charges up, and uses his CE to make Davin Felth catch up, who then uses the double-careful-deadeye combo to smash Assaj for 60 dmg. However, they are now within range of...everything. My Hunter steps in to put 30dmg on Gideon, then Jabba gives the pump shot (thank you, Mice Droids!) which is enough to kill Davin (Assaj doing 50dmg?!?!?) and make another attack on Gideon. Mando pushes some guys up, then Assaj moves up to put more damage on Gideon, who jumps away with Wingman...and the wingman dies horribly to Assaj's red-lightsabers-of-over-killing-doom. After that, Mom stepped in to use Chain Lightning to put more damage on Gideon and wipe out the rest of the little pilots. My last Hunter later stepped up to bring swift justice to Gideon, and we called it there.

Mando was taking a gamble that I'd play a droid squad (hence his use of Davin Felth and Buzz Droids); I had actually considered playing the Double Lancer squad, just for nostalgia's sake. Instead, I played one of the most epic squads in 200pts right now, and the score showed it. He did well to unexpectedly bring Assaj down to 50hp, but even if she had died I would've had more than enough damage output to finish the game.
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2021 7:47:23 PM

Dang, tint goes for the jugular. No tier 2 squads here, only the best of the best.
thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2021 7:53:22 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Dang, tint goes for the jugular. No tier 2 squads here, only the best of the best.
Well, the Sep squad was certainly top tier, but the Vader/Arica squad...that was entirely nostalgia, with the exception of Ruhk (who I'd always wanted to use in a Thrawn-swap squad, but have NEVER done until now...95 years later).
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2021 7:56:16 PM

thereisnotry wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
Well, the Sep squad was certainly top tier, but the Vader/Arica squad...that was entirely nostalgia, with the exception of Ruhk (who I'd always wanted to use in a Thrawn-swap squad, but have NEVER done until now...95 years later).

Ruhk is awesome! The squad is maybe not tier 1 these days, but close. Tier 1.25?

Just happy to see games where it doesn’t end with both teams having main threats still on the board.