RegisterDonateLogin

Knows it's a trap!

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Spheres of Influence League - Round Themes, pairings, results Options
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, December 2, 2021 8:14:46 PM
Groups: Member

As to the matchup with UrbanShmi and Udorian84, I unfortunately with have to declare a 3-0 win on both games for UrbanShmi.

There was ample communication on her side, and virtually none on his.

I'd have been happy to give a little more time due to the holidays, but there was no communication.
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, December 2, 2021 8:41:35 PM

Alright everyone, time to get time-period specific!

Round 6

Quote:
Era-Centric Powers

-Rebel-
-Separatist-
-New Republic-
-Republic-

The Universe is ever-changing, and using the immediate advantages specific to a timeframe
to build Era-Centric Powers is your path to dominate this
SPHERE OF INFLUENCE!

Everyone must build (exactly) 2 out of these 4 factions for this round.

(Darth_O rolled a d20 for us this round to determine the pairings)

Pairings:
Quote:
TimmerB123
vs
thereisnotry

Udorian84
vs
Mando

UrbanShmi
vs
spryguy1981

Darth_Jim
vs
DarkDracul

You have until Fri Dec 17th to get BOTH of your matches in with your opponent.
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, December 6, 2021 12:01:43 PM

Round 6: Era-Centric Powers, match #2

thereisnotry defeats TimmerB123 200-80 (3-0)

thereisnotry:
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/228659/can-this-actually-work-
--Can this actually work?--
100 Luke Skywalker, Master of the Order
32 Jaina Solo Fel, Jedi Master
25 Callista, Force Spirit
25 Head of State Jagged Fel
10 TC-70 Protocol Droid
5 Caamasi Noble
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
(200pts. 7 activations)

TimmerB123:
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/224253/sing-n-king
--Sing n' King--
35 Dashade Pirate
35 Hondo Ohnaka
33 Aurra Sing, Assassin
33 Enfys Nest
30 Arvo Norstag, Pirate King
25 Black Sun Pirate Captain
25 Captain Zothip
19 Benthic, Partisan Lieutenant
(235pts. 8 activations)

I won the map roll so we played on Imperial Garrison. Tim chose the right-hand side.

Round 1: Advancing to gambit for both of us, no attacks.

Round 2: Gambit for both of us, no attacks.

Round 3: Gambit for both of us, no attacks.

Round 4: I win init, so Luke moves up 6 to LS Throw on Aurra Sing, who dies. Luke takes some return fire (the Dashade has Force Immunity) from the rest of Tim's guys, and he is able to pick off the Caamasi Noble, whom I had placed there to help protect Luke. Jaina bodyguards a 40dmg hit as well. Enfys charges Luke but misses.

Round 5: I win init (thx to Tactician) and Jaina gets 70dmg past Enfy's Parry/Beskargam combo. Hondo keys up for some severe damage (Cunning 20, Deadeye 10, Zothip's CE) and also some JOLT saves, against Luke. Luke successfully deflects the first shot after a fprr, and makes the Jolt save, and then takes a full 60dmg on the second shot (again made the jolt). The Dashade missed by rolling a 1...that was huge, because if Luke gets activated here then Arvo would've lived. But he didn't, so he didn't.

Round 6: I rolled a 1 for init, so Luke has to survive some more Hondo magic. Tim rolled a 1 for one attack, and Luke was able to deflect the twin. Luke is now at 1fp, so he activates, gives up an aoo to Enfys (takes 20dmg) and misses the Djem So save and then uses LS Throw to kill the Dashade.

Round 7: I won init so Jaina took down a wounded Benthic and someone else beside him, who was also wounded.

Round 8: Tim won init so Hondo killed Jagged. Zothip attacked Jaina, but she deflected it. Luke ran up to eliminate Hondo with LS Throw, and that brought me over 200pts. Tim had Zothip left, and I had a 80hp Luke and a 60hp Jaina, plus Callista to bring one of them back to life if needed.

I wasn't sure if this squad would actually work, but I'm pleasantly surprised that it did. The combo of Jagged's Tactician and the big Cunning damage from my 2 attackers is pretty handy. And Callista just makes it demoralizing to attack Luke. I was able to save up 9fp on Luke because of all the non-engagement in the beginning of the battle, and those extra FP really ended up making a difference, since Luke was down to 1fp pretty quickly once he got into the fray and he had to deflect some pretty heavy shots. A missed Jolt save or two, and this game could've easily gone the other way.

Thanks for playing, Tim!
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, December 6, 2021 12:19:14 PM

TimmerB123 (New Republic) defeats thereisnotry (Rebel) 236-71 (3-0)

My squad:

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/228913/lando--wraith-liaison

--Lando, Wraith Liaison--
37 Wedge Antilles, Wraith Squadron Founder
32 Lando Calrissian, New Republic Liaison
29 Ganner Rhysode
23 Kell Tainer, Wraith Squadron Ace
20 Danni Quee
19 Elassar Targon, Wraith Squadron Ace
17 Voort "Piggy" saBinring, Wraith Squadron Ace
13 BB-8
10 Jagged Fel

(200pts. 9 activations)

thereisnotry's squad:

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/229210/rebel-versatility

--Rebel Versatility--
44 Luke Skywalker, Hero of Endor
38 Chewie
38 Han Solo, Rebel General
25 Sabine Wren
19 Princess Leia, Rebel Commando
18 Artoo-Detoo (R2-D2)
12 See-Threepio (C-3PO)
5 Porg

(199pts. 8 activations)

The woes continue for the Rebels with a bad matchup on top of Trevor's dice being very unkind.

I won map and we played on Asteroid Base, Trevor chose right.

Trevor swapped Han Solo Rebel General for Han Solo Rebel Hero (mostly for the mobile) and Luke HoE for Luke Skywalker, Legacy of the Light Side (I had no melee)

I make my way to the middle with my Wraiths, keep back with the non-cloaked guys. I use Ganner end of round to have Wedge put 40 damage on R2. Top of the round I take out R2, but that left Ganner in a bad position. He responds with Luke getting GMA double twin with Adventageous, but cannot roll the 13 needed except for once (even with the reroll), Ganner hides with 70 hp left. I have Danni use Force Sense (but don't risk attacking with her low atk score because of stupid let's-make-games-longer-and-NPEs See-Threepio). I do get some shots back at Luke with my higher attackers, but only get 2 through his evades. Trevor says enough of this, and bum rushes with threepio and Chewie. I utilize my grenades and after the 3rd one, C-3PO is toast, and I breath a sigh of relief. Chewie takes out Danni, and that left no Wraiths within 3 of Piggy, so he lost his cloaked. Piggy gets hit by Han (30) and Luke (but again Luke only hits 1/5, needing a 13), so Piggy is left with 40. I take out Chewie with Wedge GMA adjacent and 2 spotters. He moves up Sabine and Leia. I shoot Han with Lando from the back, hit for 30 but roll a 1 on the twin (totally forgot Gambler's Luck!). I win init and go to take out Sabine with Kell (again with a spotter from Piggy and a Spot from Elassar), but then he takes out Kell and Piggy. I finish off Leia. He spawns Porgs. I then press and finish off Han, and it's Luke vs the world. Ganner tosses Wedge so he can get adjacent. Luke deflects one and is left with 30. BB stings him down to 20. Trevor takes out BB, then Ganner comes in for the Force Push auto kill.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, December 6, 2021 12:54:00 PM

thereisnotry wrote:
thereisnotry defeats TimmerB123 200-80 (3-0)

It was certainly a double edged sword not advancing and letting Luke build up points. Running around the corner on that silly map would have been suicide. So I felt like I had no choice but to wait for Luke and hope my barrage of shots can get through enough. I was rotating Enfys and Benthic as the gambit getters, but then I made a big mistake by mindlessly activating Enfys when she was not in gambit, so I had to put someone else in gambit, thus Aurra had to go in. Thus she died. That was dumb of me. Needed to keep her around both as a big damage dealer but also her FPs to maybe pop Callista. I knew it was going to be even harder from there. "Demoralizing" to attack Luke is right. Takes so much to hit, and then he usually shrugs off the damage. Jolt was the potential game changer, but he literally made every jolt save. Hindsight I should have been better with my positioning, I could have made it so the Dashade moves 2 with Arvo's CE and then get 2 attacks on Luke that could not be defended nor rerolled on the Jolt saves, but I was back a couple squares too many. It would have been very hard to win this, but I think had any of several rolls gone my way (any jolt, several of my misses and missed parries, etc) I could have gotten a 1pt loss. I'd have needed more luck (and better play) to win, especially on that map. I really hate the gambit standoff that frequently happens on that map. Trevor even packed 2 diplomats to block up the narrow hallways and tight turns, which would be much harder to do on other maps. Had I tried to be the initial aggressor and round that corner, he could have easily blocked me off and prevented me from attacking. But he played it just right and my pieces fell like dominos.

thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, December 6, 2021 5:42:47 PM

Actually, the one Diplomat (TC-70) was there precisely because he had Relay Orders...if you had brought a squad with several force users he would've allowed Callista to stick around in the back, long enough to resuscitate Luke (since that is a range-6 CE). The other diplomat was simply there because it was the best use of 5pts...mobile cover is always a good thing.

I already had plenty of melee-protection (Jaina's Parry, Luke's 50dmg DjemSo) so I wasn't worried about keeping people away...if anything, I was hoping for you to bring more melee attackers because I wanted a melee battle.

However, finding a way to give Luke Evade...and then having 2 Diplomats on top of that.... ThumpUp
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, December 6, 2021 7:56:18 PM

Yeah the diplomat comments were more about how they could be really abused on that map, not that you intended that with them.
DarkDracul
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2021 3:24:37 PM

Spheres Round 6:: Match 1:: Darkdracul 3pts (200) :: Darth_Jim 1pt (144)

Drac's
--Slow Reylo--
63 Rey and Kylo, Force Bonded Allies
34 Chewbacca with Bowcaster
33 Han Solo with Bowcaster
19 Finn
18 Lor San Tekka
15 Paige Tico, Resistance Gunner
14 Luke Skywalker, Jedi Spirit
13 BB-8
(209pts. 8 activations)
v
Darth_J's
--Skywalker Navy--
48 Luke Skywalker, Galactic Hero
25 Barada on Desert Skiff
25 Leia Skywalker, Jedi Knight
25 Rey
22 Ben Skywalker
15 Eryl Besa
10 R2-D2, Galactic Hero
5 Porg
5 Salacious Crumb
12 Mouse Droid x4
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2
2 Kneesaa, Ewok Princess
(200pts. 16 activations)

Jim won map:: [Gangster's Vault] I took right, he set up left.

ROund 1:: FIGHT!!
Reylo rush towards map center. Dudes load up in Skiff. SkySpirit levitates Finn to run into gambit. Lord Taco moves Han towards SkySpirit who also runs into gambit yo. Fodder moves, R2 runs up and locks upper door to Vault Office. Barada rams open the center door in gambit. Gambit for all.

Round2:: The Big Play. . .
Jim rolls a 20 to beat my 19 for init. Jim is nice and lets me go first. Reylo backflips onto the Skiff and slashes it down to 60hp. Then Darth_Jim reveals his evil plot. Barada flies over Reylo and disembarks the dudes. Salacious meat shields in front and rest hide behind the Skiff. Luke spends 3 force to use some broken Lightsaber Throw ability. He's a +19atk for 30s but Reylo has a 30def and he only hits once. Then he kills Han standing adjacent. Chewie goes off and kills Kneesa and R2. SkySpirit levitates Chew who kills the Skiffs. Rey, Leia, Finn end up killing Paige Tico.
Chewie kills fodder and puts more damage on his dudes.

Round 3:: Spinning Blades of Revenge . . .
I roll a 19 to beat Jim's 17. I am not nice so I go first. Spend 2 force to Spinning Blade Attack; Rey, Ben, Leia and finish off Ben with Teamwork. Luke and Rey wallop Reylo to only 50hp thanks to some bad rolls. Skyspirt levitates Chewie next to Leia and Rey. Finn runs to base LUke.

Round 4:: Gambit?! Who needs that . . .
I win init and I'm not nice again. We are all fighting in a hallway and no one is in gambit. REylo smacketh Luke to 60hp. Rey attacks Reylo but Taco bodyguards. Taco dies and gives an immediate attack to Chew before then Chew gets to barrage from Taco being dead. Chew kills Leia but then misses the rest of his attacks. Luke attack Relyo four times but only hits once. Reylo at 20hp. Finn smacks Luke down to 20hp.

Round 5:: It's just a game. . .
I win init but this time I decide to be nice . . . I let Jim go first.
Luke kills Reylo . . . and Chewie blasts Luke dead in the face.
spryguy1981
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2021 6:14:24 PM

Spryguy1981 defeats UrbanShmi 212-41 on Imperial Checkpoint.

I played
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/231278/meeburs-militia

UrbanShmi played
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/229680/haunted-han

R1 positioning. I get gambit

R2 I pulse cannon and get the Cobalt pilot, kill the Wraith pilot. Use a pinpoint attack to damage Jag and Snap. Ig-11 Died

R3 IG-88AD kills Chewie, IG-88A damages Bhindi. Uggie heals 88A

R4 IG-88AD and IG-88A kill Han. Foul kills Bhindi and Snap. Uggie heals 88Ad

R5 I kill all but Wedge, uggies heals 88A.
spryguy1981
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2021 6:19:07 PM

Spryguy1981 defeats UrbanShmi 208-107 on Imperial Garrison

R1 Positioning, I get gambit.

R2 Kanan barrage kills BB8 damages Defense Lt. Kenth and Kir kill Hera and put 60 on Ahsoka.

R3 Kir kills Ahsoka and bases Cham. Keith kills Sabine. Kanan kills Mirith.

R4 Lt kills Cham, Kanan kills Kenth, Kir kills Kanan.
Darth_Jim
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2021 7:57:59 PM

Darth Jim defeats DarkDracul 200-10 in our second game on Asteroid Base.

My squad: http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/231326/father-of-the-rebellion

His squad: http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/216031/luxs-parisans

Bryan won the map roll, and he chose his Asteroid Base. I set up lower left, he set up upper right. The first 2 rounds were positioning moving towards gambit. He got a couple of pot shots off on Dad but needed 20s to hit and he didn't. In the 3rd round Dad took a little damage, but levitated Marek up to do a repulse which killed 2 partisans, the R7 and an uggie. I activated him the next round and he got off another repulse which killed Ackbar, a partisan and I think something else, then ran Marek for cover because he was down to 70.I brought Ben up to hit more stuff and hopefully activate some people. He whittled Ben down to 10 but couldn't kill him. One final repulse killed just about everyone and Marek mopped up the next 2 rounds. Leia had 2 more chances to kill Ben but couldn't hit.

Afterwards, Bryan said he thought he'd had a character in the squad that granted an extra 10 damage but he figured he'd accidentally taken him out messing with the build. It certainly would have made a difference. Playing The Father squad was fun, and this one had good synergy, but I don't know how it does against other squad types.This was actually the first time I ran one.
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2021 9:25:55 PM

Jim's squad got me thinking - how do you define faction in a "The Father" squad?

The Father is Fringe, and Jim had 2 Rebels, so that fits the standard definition of Rebel.

But The Father lets you break faction restrictions. So what faction would it be if you had The Father and allies of 2 different factions? Pick one? Or does it all default to Fringe.

Of course all of this doesn't matter in any way to the rules of our game, just an interesting question.
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2021 9:47:56 PM

As to the matchup with Mando and Udorian84, I unfortunately with have to declare a 3-0 win on both games for Mando.

No communication from Udorian84 at all now. I hope he's ok
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2021 9:49:53 PM

The woes for the Rebels continue, as the only win they got was against another Rebel squad.

New Republic is popular! It was played by everyone that round!

Separatists got a goose egg with only one player trying them this round, and losing.

Republic only played once as well, but they won theirs.
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2021 9:54:13 PM

time for ETERNAL POWER!!!!

Round 7

Quote:
Timeless Loyalties

-Mandalorian-
-Fringe-
-Imperial-
-Yuuzhan Vong-

Despite the era, creating a lasting doctrine
will inspire Timeless Loyalties, allowing you to dominate this
SPHERE OF INFLUENCE!

Everyone must build (exactly) 2 out of these 4 factions for this round.

(These are the last pairings, no die roll needed)

Pairings:
Quote:
TimmerB123
vs
Mando

thereisnotry
vs
Udorian84

UrbanShmi
vs
DarkDracul

spryguy1981
vs
Darth_Jim

With the holidays coming up, I'm gonna not give a deadline yet. Do your best to get it in by years end, but if we need to go into January - so be it. Just please COMMUNICATE! Both with your opponent, and in the thread or to me directly, so we know what is going on if scheduling is not coming together.
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2021 3:43:25 PM

ATTENTION!

Trevor and I are locked into the top 2 spots going into the final round. The initial plan was to have a top 2 playoff

We discussed it, and we want to do a TOP FOUR!

There are 3 players neck and neck for third, they deserve a shot too!

1st will play 4th, 2nd plays 3rd like usual.

The stakes have been upped for the last round!
Darth_Jim
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2021 5:03:51 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Jim's squad got me thinking - how do you define faction in a "The Father" squad?

The Father is Fringe, and Jim had 2 Rebels, so that fits the standard definition of Rebel.

But The Father lets you break faction restrictions. So what faction would it be if you had The Father and allies of 2 different factions? Pick one? Or does it all default to Fringe.

Of course all of this doesn't matter in any way to the rules of our game, just an interesting question.

I went back and looked. On January 24 2017, Swinefeld addressed this in a Rules thread started by Correllian Comedian. In the event that you have 2 different factions and The Father, you get to choose which faction the squad is.
DarkDracul
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2021 7:44:24 PM

Darth_Jim wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

I went back and looked. On January 24 2017, Swinefeld addressed this in a Rules thread started by Correllian Comedian. In the event that you have 2 different factions and The Father, you get to choose which faction the squad is.

What's really screwed up is if you have an all FRINGE (factionless) squad you have to choose 1 of the 9 factions.
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, December 17, 2021 8:29:14 AM

DarkDracul wrote:
Darth_Jim wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

What's really screwed up is if you have an all FRINGE (factionless) squad you have to choose 1 of the 9 factions.

That is a trip
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, December 17, 2021 12:03:11 PM

OK - since it may effect what players might play in this round - here is how the semi finals and finals will work:

Quote:
Semi-Finals

Quote:
Galactic Dominators

-Old Republic-
-Sith-
-Fringe-
-New Republic-
-Yuuzhan Vong-

Overconfidence and hubris allows seemingly endless power to crumble.
You, as Galactic Dominators, must take care to solidify your SPHERES OF INFLUENCE!

Everyone must build (exactly) THREE out of these 5 factions for this round. Refer to the main thread on how to reveal with your opponent. Mark squads #1, #2, #3 for the order they will be played. The 3rd squad might not be played, if the first 2 are won by the same player.

In case anyone is wondering - those 5 factions are the ones that have only had 2 opportunities to be played, all the rest have had 3. So after this round, every faction has had 3 chances to be played.

Quote:
FINALS

Quote:
ULTIMATE POWER

You have shown great power in reaching this level,
however your SPHERES OF INFLUENCE must be far reaching.
You must face this final test without the use of your trusted allies,
and make allegiance with those you have never worked with.
Only then can you become the ULTIMATE POWER in the universe!

Faction Restrictions:

(overuse)
-If a player has used a faction THREE or more times in the entire tournament, that faction MAY NOT BE PLAYED by that player

(underuse)
-If a player HAS NOT played any ONE faction in the entire tournament, that faction MUST BE PLAYED as your FIRST or SECOND squad this round.
-If a player HAS NOT played TWO factions in the entire tournament, those factions MUST BE PLAYED as your FIRST and SECOND squads this round.
-If a player has not played THREE OR MORE factions in the entire tournament, YOUR OPPONENT CHOOSES two of those factions not used. Those factions MUST BE PLAYED as your FIRST and SECOND squads this round. Then the player may choose one of the remaining factions they have not played as their third squad.

(balanced use)
The remaining squads are built from factions played ONCE or TWICE by that player during the entire tournament, only after the above restrictions have been followed

Everyone must build (exactly) THREE squads in 3 different factions for this round, following the above restrictions. Refer to the main thread on how to reveal with your opponent. Mark squads #1, #2, #3 for the order they will be played. The 3rd squad might not be played, if the first 2 are won by the same player.