RegisterDonateLogin

No rogue is more charismatic than this gambler and soldier of fortune.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Would a SW Mini's discord help the community organize games/events? Options
Mando
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2020 6:26:01 AM
Groups: Member

Just throwing this idea out there, but a lot of the other games i play have discord channels set up for their games to help the community stay connected and notify people of events coming up. I think this community could benefit greatly from a discord channel that would allow people to have conversations about minis and also get events on Vassal organized or if people are on Vassal for playtesting to let others know they are on. Forums are kinda becoming outdated as a means to reach people because if people don't check it every day topics can be buried. What does everyone else think? the facebook group for mini's is very quiet so i don't know if people check it or not.
DarthBainCapital
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2020 6:38:05 AM

How does a discord channel work exactly? Is it like a permanent skype call that anyone can join?
Mando
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2020 6:48:40 AM

DarthBainCapital wrote:
How does a discord channel work exactly? Is it like a permanent skype call that anyone can join?

A person would set up a Discord server and they send out invites to other people to join. When you invite someone to the server, they get a link that lets them join it, where they can either text or voice chat with other people using that server. Each server can be broken down further into “channels,” small spaces for discussions on specific topics, as opposed to one giant live forum. Everyone does need a discord account (which is free) and the nice thing with Discord is you can do voice chat on it also as i mentioned earlier, so its like skype in that way, but there are a lot more functions. The thing i like about discord is that it makes it easy to notify everyone of something really quickly. You can get discord on desktop computers or mobile devices, so pretty much everyone should be able to access it if they want.
DarthBainCapital
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2020 7:09:17 AM

That sounds like it's worth trying out, especially for organizing games on vassal. I think there are some discussions (mostly about squads) where I think Bloomilk would still have an advantage because of its database and squad-building features.
Mando
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2020 7:18:30 AM

DarthBainCapital wrote:
That sounds like it's worth trying out, especially for organizing games on vassal. I think there are some discussions (mostly about squads) where I think Bloomilk would still have an advantage because of its database and squad-building features.

yeah, this isn't meant to replace bloomilk forums as they are a great way to have discussions and squad build. Discord would be more for notifying people of playtesting/vassal tournaments or events/"hey i'm on vassal right now, anyone want to play?" and give people access to voice chat for games and channels set up for text chat about topics people would like to talk about (think of kinda like a break room where you can talk about sports, TV shows, etc...)
thereisnotry
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2020 1:38:59 PM

I'm on Discord for a couple of other games that I play, and it works great. I think this is an excellent idea!
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2020 2:56:36 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

There is, in fact, already a SWM Discord, but most of the people in it play on Roll20, not Vassal, and play without the V-sets (and besides that, it's not very active). You could commandeer that one, or maybe it would be a good idea to start a new one for Vassal/V-set players.

Here's the link to the current Discord server: https://discord.gg/gYU3kh
thereisnotry
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2020 6:20:10 PM

I think starting a new one would be best. It sounds like these are 2 very different communities, so it would be unnatural to combine them.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2020 7:30:25 PM

Poking around that discord now - I think we could just join that one. They're using Roll20 instead of Vassal, but they explicitly say that Vassal, IRL, etc - all play formats are fine. Some of them have used Vsets, too. Which is honestly a bit weird seeing people I've never heard of using the pieces we designed. I'd pretty much convinced myself that the community had shrunk to bloomilk's 30 or 50 people and that's it. That community does pop in here to build squads but I haven't really seen them posting anything in the forums or otherwise interacting here.

If we start using the discord to run the tournaments, we might end up getting some new players out of it, too. There are 50+ people signed up. No idea how many of them are bloomilk ppl, but I don't recognize the names of the most common posters (other than gandalf). I'll probably try it for the next Squad Swap tournament. Targeting mid-November.
Mando
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2020 6:22:58 AM

i joined it, but is there a way to create a new channel for those who use Vassal and Bloomilk? we could use that channel to announce events and if your available to play on vassal for a game or playtesting. maybe we could grow the community on vassal by inviting people to the tournaments and introducing the v-sets more. This is a good start tho!
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2020 6:35:55 AM

lfg-online is looking for game. I would just use that or 'general' to post tournament information. The whole 'Galactic Civil War' category looks to be their own thing.
thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2020 7:41:44 AM

I've just posted an announcement (in the Events subforum) about a LS/DS tournament on November 28. Maybe we can share a link on the discord for it?

How would I join this Discord group? Does anyone have an invitation link for me?
Mando
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2020 8:20:59 AM

i got an invite when i clicked the link gandalf posted earlier. not sure it that would work for you to
AndyHatton
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2020 3:59:59 AM

That invite link has expired
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2020 6:30:36 AM

Ridgebeam
Posted: Friday, December 3, 2021 9:14:41 AM

Hey all,

I'm "MonkHung" operator/owner of the Star Wars Mini's discord. I am more than happy to customize and open more channels (both voice and chat) for vassal play.

I know that the discord was used recently for VassalCon 2021 - I was able to coordinate with some of the members here on Bloomilk and meet the needs for the tournament.

The idea behind the Roll20 and "Galactic Civil War" never really kicked off, mainly because I don't have the time that I used to. But it's still a "work in progress". Roll20 has certainly brought numerous new players to the community that may otherwise have never run across the BlooMilk community. So it's advantageous for sure.

Please feel free to reach out here or on discord and let me help me with whatever needs you might have.

Thanks,

- Ridgebeam / Monkhung
Mando
Posted: Friday, December 3, 2021 1:54:20 PM

Ridgebeam wrote:
Hey all,

I'm "MonkHung" operator/owner of the Star Wars Mini's discord. I am more than happy to customize and open more channels (both voice and chat) for vassal play.

I know that the discord was used recently for VassalCon 2021 - I was able to coordinate with some of the members here on Bloomilk and meet the needs for the tournament.

The idea behind the Roll20 and "Galactic Civil War" never really kicked off, mainly because I don't have the time that I used to. But it's still a "work in progress". Roll20 has certainly brought numerous new players to the community that may otherwise have never run across the BlooMilk community. So it's advantageous for sure.

Please feel free to reach out here or on discord and let me help me with whatever needs you might have.

Thanks,

- Ridgebeam / Monkhung

appreciate your hard work over there! we really enjoyed using discord for the Gencon events on Vassal, so thanks for letting us use those voice chats
Ridgebeam
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2021 12:55:07 PM

Mando wrote:
appreciate your hard work over there! we really enjoyed using discord for the Gencon events on Vassal, so thanks for letting us use those voice chats

Absolutely my pleasure! Looking forward to this Christmas season and getting some IRL and Online games in!
Darth_Reignir
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2021 4:51:45 PM

Link has expired
Ridgebeam
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2022 6:34:16 PM

Darth_Reignir wrote:
Link has expired

Here is a fresh new link for the SWM Discord:

https://discord.gg/2PBwBEkhRX