RegisterDonateLogin

Knows better than to trust a strange computer.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

CoC Violations and Punishments - suggestions Options
dnemiller
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 4:11:58 PM
Groups: Member

another thing I would say I have learned from modding/admin for the last three years.

I think less topics/threads should be locked.

I realize this makes life easier for the mods but really nothing gets worked out.

I think it would be better to edit a post and let the discussion go on. Even if you have to direct the discussion.

This nuking of posts.... it is a bad idea.
Go into the post and eidt it. State who edited the post. That shouldbe a rule.

When I have to mod a post I state what was removed and why and who I am.

A typical one from me on gamers

Quote:

Edit - Dnemiller - Admin

Guys this is not on topic and there is no need to make comments like the ones I have removed.

This gives your posters knowledge of what they need to do to post correctly in the thread and lets them know you wont let stuff that is off topic stand.

It also lets folks know what mod did what so if they have a question about the moderating they know who to address it to.

EDIT:

I must say there have been times too that I have removed a page long tirade and left something behind when done editing it that said: No that wont work.

Also when the mods edit the post it is always a good idea to copy the post and save it to a word document. That way when someone asks a question you can refer to the problem with the post directly.

Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 4:19:27 PM

well, there is a differance between nuking a thread, and locking one.
if a thread needs to be nuked, nuke it.
if it needs to be locked, lock it.
we are not in control of what the Mods judgements are, after all, they are the mods, they are the ones with tempo control.
we cant expect them to answer to us for everything.
Shinja chose his mods to his liking, if they need to lock something, i would hope it is in the communities best interest.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 4:22:46 PM

dnemiller wrote:

Also when the mods edit the post it is always a good idea to copy the post and save it to a word document. That way when someone asks a question you can refer to the problem with the post directly.

this however, is not a good idea.

if we are to be kept out of the loop, we are to be kept out of the loop for all purposes as to a mods decision.

Mod Edit
dnemiller
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 4:26:45 PM

again locking a thread can be fine.

But when you can keep it alive leave it alive.

Edit posts.

This get the members to understand.

When you just lock a thread it may make the situation end for a couple of seconds but it doesn't stop anything.

Want proof last nite.

You had a mods thread locked and immediately one started. Why the members felt it necessary to talk about the subject.

So the mods cant stop them bringing the subject up over and over so why try.

Edit the posts. LEt the members know what can be said and what cant.

A thread slash post should never be nuked. I am understand a mod moving an entire thread. That makes sense but you should not just delete posts. Copy them and save them to a document and then edit them.

I am not saying what shinja should do I am saying what works long term.

Go look at other forums and take a look. Long term it is better for the members that the mods edit posts because in doing so they are somewhat teaching the posters what is expected of them. In the end it makes everyone better posters in the community.

Lets look right now at what is going on here. You said something about your posts being deleted. Would it not have been better for them to have been edited. So you can:
1. Know what part was out of line
2. Know who is doing this
3. Learn how to comply with the expectations of the board.

Deleting the post doesn't exactly give you or any other members who are looking any such info that they can be educated by.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 4:41:01 PM

and when Mods have meetings, they should NOT have non Mods involved. (I.E members who are not Mods)
billiv15
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 5:32:52 PM

Mandalore Da Beast wrote:
dnemiller wrote:

this however, is not a good idea.

if we are to be kept out of the loop, we are to be kept out of the loop for all purposes as to a mods decision.

The moment that happens, the system breaks down. Complete secrecy is never good, see WotC for example.

As to the meeting question, well, ....

As to the topic, well, the good that will come from this mess is that the CoC will be finally developed (sick that a forum was started without one), and that the mods are taking serious stock in how they want to run things. That will be the good end, of this mess created by you.

Mod Edit
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 5:34:21 PM

another example as to why a Mod should not copy and paste a convo with a member, and send it to another MEMBER.
Im Glad we are getting somewhere.
billiv15
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 5:36:21 PM

Mandalore Da Beast wrote:
another example as to why a Mod should not copy and paste a convo with a member, and send it to another MEMBER.
Im Glad we are getting somewhere.

actually, it shows exactly why they should.

Mod Edit
Doogle126
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 5:51:28 PM

in my defense, i like you both, and i think that while you guys may have differing opinions, you two are at least in agreement of one thing- supporting bloomilk
-thanks guys, and Merrry Christmas
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 5:59:49 PM

Doogle126 wrote:
in my defense, i like you both, and i think that while you guys may have differing opinions, you two are at least in agreement of one thing- supporting bloomilk
-thanks guys, and Merrry Christmas

Merry Xmas Doog.
thank you for being nice.No Bloo Milk
Partof1
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 6:08:46 PM

Da Beast:
I don't think your reasons against copy/pasting hold up in any other situation, from any other position.
Time and again, I only hear you agruing against what will hurt you, and you alone.

I like the idea of keeping records, if they can't be kept publicly already.

~~~~~~~

I frequent another forum, and they use a points system to keep track ofInfractions and warnings.

For example, a member is warned by a mod if they're going down a bad road, and persistance, or a particularly nasty action is awarded infraction points, say, 50. This can be adjusted, generally 25, 50, 100. When they get to 300, they're banned.

THese points may be erased from accounts, depending on the severity, though full infractions are permanent, and awarded to all a user's accounts.

This could be adjusted for here, with 150 points getting a temporary suspension, or something.
billiv15
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2009 1:16:01 AM

On topic, records should always been kept, that's just good modding. When you don't keep the records, you get someone who uses that as a way to tell stories. Records keep people honest, if this experience has shown anything, it's that honesty is not a value you can expect from all members. Some will do whatever it takes to "get" someone else, when they decide to do so.

Mod Edit
billiv15
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2009 1:25:25 AM

Further, punishment needs to happen at a quick pace. You need to be able to head off a potencial problem early on in the process, before it starts to effect others. As much as I hate to keep using it as an example, had the mods dealt with this much earlier it would have been over and done a month ago, and most of the community unaffected. When you take too long, you tell the people who were offended that nothing was wrong with what has been done, and you embolden the perpetrator. Action usually needs to be swift, with due diligence of course.
Sithborg
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2009 2:04:16 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

And this thread had been going so well. Let's keep it on generalities, please. The discussion here had been really good, so I would hate to have to close the topic.

Mod editing vs locked threads also comes down to how much work is required. The two threads that resulted in mods here were locked, though they could've easily been saved. Well, not easily, it would have been a lot of work. Sometimes, if a thread blows up 3 pages in a few hours, it might not be worth going through and cleaning.