RegisterDonateLogin

Available at your local Tosche Station (in the Power Converter aisle).

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Custom Minis FAQ (painting, sculpting, cutting and other mayhem) Options
Dimetrodon
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 10:35:46 AM
Groups: Member

Voren_Chalco wrote:
I've found the 'Game' brand Matte Varnish works well as a sealer. The minis don't end up shiny and it's brush-on, so you don't have to be as precise in application.

Games Workshop Matt Varnish is no longer being produced. Just the Gloss Varnish as far as the pain on variety.

They do however still produce their Matt Varnish as a Spray instead.

I used to use a semi gloss paint on sealer, it looked pretty good, but if you had too much on the brush it could wet the paint and act as a remover almost. smudge up fine details. I don't recall what brand it was, but I gave it up ages ago hehe. I'd figure it was some cheap junk anyway.

Dimetrodon
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:02:43 AM

added a little and did some touch ups.
SquelchDog
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:49:16 PM

Dimetrodon wrote:
added a little and did some touch ups.

Excellent stuff Dime, thanks again for posting these tips for us. Woot Also thank you DarthMalus for giving me a name brand to look for. ThumpUp You guys rock!
Voren_Chalco
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:43:53 PM

Dimetrodon wrote:
Games Workshop Matt Varnish is no longer being produced. Just the Gloss Varnish as far as the pain on variety.

I'm not sure it is Games Workshop. It certainly doesn't have the word Workshop anywhere on it.

Maybe it's part of the pecularities of Australian hobby stores
Dimetrodon
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2011 2:22:34 AM

oh my bad, When you said the Game brand I thought you were shortening Games Workshop, haha sorry about that.
kobayashimaru
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2011 4:58:40 AM

@all
Great idea for a thread; we can share resources we find on the net and annotate them for quick reference BigGrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzthmgnOmLA&annotation_id=annotation_168551&feature=iv
The above link is to a miniatures sculpting tutorial for intermediate to advanced modellers. It covers basics such as armature construction and resources that are handy.

http://www.stormthecastle.com/miniatures/casting-miniatures-supplies.htm
The above link contains a PLETHORA of handy tutorials, and theyre all free! Thats our kinda price BigGrin
The miniatures and casting links are excellent, and there are many leads for the avid customiser.

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php#4
The Imperial Shipyards; its murphys law of the internet, if a person can think of it, chances are someones already thought of it or done it. BigGrin The custom vehicles threads are very lively, and there are many tutorials on casting resin parts.

http://sculptingtools.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2009-07-29T19%3A16%3A00%2B02%3A00&max-results=7
This link takes customising to a new level of obsession. Cant find the tool you need for a job? Well, theres an opportunity to customise right there: the above link covers tool construction for making miniatures. The mini caliper looks interesting... BigGrin

EDIT: CHECK OUT THE PEN TOOLS from the make your own tools link! This is genius; think of how many promotional pens are out there that could be excellent sculpting tools... it makes me feel ashamed now to think i broke three or four potential pen tools to make three R2 units Blushing

And finally, Pepakura models. These can be found by googling paper models, pepakura models etc. Paper models serve as rapid prototypes for custom vehicles you might be envisioning, and allow for cheap rapid alterations on the fly.

hope this helps, and I will be watching this thread with great interest.
Kobayashimaru

SquelchDog
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2011 12:42:47 AM

Blink Epic!!! Absolutely awesome! Thanks for all the links kobayashimaru. Woot
R5Don4
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2011 1:47:35 PM

Voren_Chalco wrote:
Dimetrodon wrote:

I'm not sure it is Games Workshop. It certainly doesn't have the word Workshop anywhere on it.

Maybe it's part of the pecularities of Australian hobby stores

I believe that is Vallejo Acrylic
kobayashimaru
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 2:43:34 AM

@all
I return with an awesome find
http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/403832/210559607-493064896/-Alice-papermodel-Starwars-imperial-LAAT-gunship-models-and-AT-TE-robot-models-spaceship-models-startrek.html

This makes me think its a matter of time before one of two things happen;
1) Lucasfilm et al go to town and shut that link down, or
2) Some/all of the models become freely available elsewhere...
BigGrin
And yes, that paper LAAT/c is 1/48 scale paper model: the perfect template for a customiser.
Now to dig around the interwebs and see if there are any more cool paper models,
anybody else found anything cool?
kobayashimaru
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2011 3:57:59 AM

@all,
For all the Aussies/southern hemisphere gamers, in case you havent heard of them,
http://www.back2base-ix.com/index.php
They make awesome flight stands, bases of all sorts and generally useful stuff.
They now also have rolls of green stuff for cheap cheap cheap... BigGrin
You cant tell I recently had a purchase from them, can you?

Anybody else finding any links out there on the internet?
kobayashimaru
Posted: Monday, October 3, 2011 2:18:51 AM

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278139&page=10

Could this be a new direction to take customising in? Check out the incredible detail of these dynamic bases; swap out the orks for gungans if you can imagine...

Also, there are a bunch of custom vehicles made on the warseer forums; there are some handy tips there for all levels of customiser.

Kobayashimaru
kobayashimaru
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 2:03:32 PM

http://www.knightmodels.com/category.php?id_category=12&p=2
Check out Knight Models for some great pewter minis; they even have boba fett! BigGrin
the pros are that these minis are highly detailed, the largest con though is that they are expensive, followed by being harder to customise...

Thanks to Botwt for the tip off on the latest release, by the by.

Kobayashimaru
SquelchDog
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2011 6:52:33 AM

kobayashimaru wrote:
Check out Knight Models for some great pewter minis; they even have boba fett! BigGrin
the pros are that these minis are highly detailed, the largest con though is that they are expensive, followed by being harder to customise...

Kobayashimaru

Sweet, cool link. How close is that in size to our plastic ones? 30 mm sounds close but I don't remember our scale at the moment. Confused I always forget that for some reason. Laugh
Dimetrodon
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2011 9:49:12 AM

SquelchDog wrote:
kobayashimaru wrote:

Kobayashimaru

Sweet, cool link. How close is that in size to our plastic ones? 30 mm sounds close but I don't remember our scale at the moment. Confused I always forget that for some reason. Laugh

I recall SWM as supposedly being 35mm, but in actuality it is debatable as some sculptors seem to do as they please. some pieces are real tiny, other real big, even for the same characters.

I would imagine the 30mm Knight models minis being close enough though. You might want to ask int he general section, it will get more attention there.
SquelchDog
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2011 1:40:22 PM

Dimetrodon wrote:
SquelchDog wrote:
kobayashimaru wrote:

Kobayashimaru

I recall SWM as supposedly being 35mm, but in actuality it is debatable as some sculptors seem to do as they please. some pieces are real tiny, other real big, even for the same characters.

I would imagine the 30mm Knight models minis being close enough though. You might want to ask int he general section, it will get more attention there.

Cool, thanks Dime. ThumpUp
kobayashimaru
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2011 2:36:01 AM

@Squelchdog, Dimetrodon
Yeah, 30mm is close enough to our ragtag minis scale that WotC left us. It tends to fit nicer with Rebel Storm and Clone Strike pieces, though Botwt suggested that the Darth Vader mini from Knight Models is a little excessive... (being mounted on a large bases, 50mm i think).

They're superb pieces, thats for sure, with best value for money being the two-for-one Luminara and Barris pack. Those are the only two Ive yet managed to acquire down here...
SquelchDog
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2011 4:01:33 AM

kobayashimaru wrote:
@Squelchdog, Dimetrodon
Yeah, 30mm is close enough to our ragtag minis scale that WotC left us. It tends to fit nicer with Rebel Storm and Clone Strike pieces, though Botwt suggested that the Darth Vader mini from Knight Models is a little excessive... (being mounted on a large bases, 50mm i think).

They're superb pieces, thats for sure, with best value for money being the two-for-one Luminara and Barris pack. Those are the only two Ive yet managed to acquire down here...

That's cool. Too bad they aren't a little cheaper. I might try to get some. Once I finish my SWM collection that is. Wink

Edit by SD. It's funny I ask a question and then stumble across the answer on Wookieepedia. Laugh According to Wookieepedia they are 34mm. Just thought that was funny. LOL So yup, they are pretty close like you guys were saying. Wink
kobayashimaru
Posted: Sunday, November 6, 2011 10:35:12 PM

Miniatures just got weirder... I was just alerted to a site.
Some may find the images disturbing... so viewer discretion is advised.
http://gallery.kingdomdeath.com/
Some of these minis look great: others are occult at best, and made me want to gouge my eyes out...
I can see a Komari Vosa figure, as well as a sith temptress or two.
And yes, theyre all in 35mm scale! BigGrin

EDIT: http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=34038.30
FOR ALL THOSE WANTING TO BUY THE KNIGHT MINIS, read the above link.
The new stormies, while they look clean, are as thin as the CTs we got in Masters of the Force/Clone Wars/The Dark Times... Looks like I'll pass on them too, and stick with the wad of clones I've got.
kobayashimaru
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2011 5:21:18 AM

Hi there everyone, Ive a new, awesome link to share
http://paper-replika.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1470:republic-attack-gunship&catid=40&Itemid=200712
Finally an accurate blueprint/papercraft to make a mini from. Its in scale, and a quick scan makes it about as large as my ARC gunship v1.
Apparently though this is a complex mini to make, taking the designer who made it 2 weeks to completely assemble.
So, if you get snowed in this xmas... give this vehicle a try. BigGrin
kobayashimaru
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2011 4:55:05 AM

anybody have any anatomy studies/green stuff minis theyve made? Ive recently acquired a large amount of greystuff (tamiya model putty, similar consistency to linseed putty) and am tempted to give sculpting a try... BigGrin