RegisterDonateLogin

Senses we've picked up another pathetic life form.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Last Call ... surf_rider56's Customs Options
surf_rider56
Posted: Saturday, August 5, 2017 7:57:38 PM
Groups: Member

Ok, so as I read more of Inferno Squad's book, I'm becoming more interested in Saw and his Partisan's hence, Saw himself here.

Saw Gerrera, Extremist Rebel I've actually made two Saw's. This one, the "Old" and battleworn Saw and the younger version from the Clone Wars. Collateral Damage is the one new ability that I wonder about. Aiming grenades, Missles, etc that cause damage to adjacent targets is pretty much what I call Collataral Dame as a defiition, but it pretty much goes against direct attacks that our rules say no against, yet as I read the book, it seems Saw's partisans don't have a problem. Not sure what to say but play testing & comments will speack for themselves.

Comments welcome.

Cheers,

surf
General_Grievous
Posted: Saturday, August 5, 2017 9:46:37 PM

Interesting idea Surf, I'm not sure how I feel about the collateral damage as targeting oneself just seems to bring up a whole new layer of stuff. I like the idea of it but maybe something like self destruct or self destruct sequence would accomplish something thematically similar? Could also change the ability to: "Replaces attacks: 20 damage to all characters within 2 squares including this character, save 11."
Also I would probably change his prideful to just affect Partisan allies and maybe make who gets partisan for non-uniques more specific as those blanket faction non-disruptable boosts will make Ghost Crew, Rogue One guys and others crazy powerful.
Also where is the Bor Gullet?? Hahaha.
kobayashimaru
Posted: Saturday, August 5, 2017 10:25:02 PM

thanks for sharing surf!

turning to the initial feedback;
collateral damage... neat.
that would allow counter-nomBomb squads, to initiate a daisy-chain/"domino topple' of self-destructs...
take that, you annoying Vong fans! how do you like your own medicine?

being rebel, that means Kazdan Paratus...
Paratus Mirror Droid Paratus-Zann Consortium "Knockoff droid squads".
"Houston, we have a problem" BigGrin

K3P0, C3P0, Lobot, this guy, Paratus... 250 and 300 is looking potentially nasty.
just look at those knockoff droids potential Damage output; if there is ever a way for that CE to be made to apply to droids...
the CIS is done-for as a faction hehe.

though, for 'meatbag' rebel squads,
this Saul Gevera combo could lead to nasty deathshot or superstealth rebel commando squads.
superstealth commandos that'll deal... ~90+DMG per shot within 6 squares.
but, the cost offset is, they'll be clustered very tightly, so very vulnerable to direct damage and AreaofEffect abilities...

awesome work though, Surf, BigGrin
as, Saul was pretty bad-a$$, looking at a planet being partially winged' by a Deathstar blast
(Dark Helmut: "I said shoot across her nose, not up it!")
and saying "frankly my dear, I don't give a dang. I'm through running".
He was gone with the Deathstar Wind hehe. No Bloo Milk

I'll be using Saul along with General Kota,
to recreate some "Rise of the Empire" era stuff.
I'll be hoping Kota buys the farm, and then Saul's Prideful kicks in,
to make regular troopers +50DMG stormtrooper killin machines!
Lord_Ball
Posted: Sunday, August 6, 2017 9:49:50 AM

I personally think some characters should be able to target allies. Vader, Shimrra, Gerrera all fit this idea. Plenty of abilities go against the rules, so I see nothing wrong with it.
General_Grievous
Posted: Sunday, August 6, 2017 12:00:07 PM

I think where it gets weird is things like closest target, so technically your own characters would be the closest target, but only for grenades/missiles sometimes if there is an enemy adjacent but then if all of those things are present then maybe you want to shoot someone instead of a missile and suddenly, yeah... but that's just my thoughts and I could be crazy.

As a counterpoint to myself, when my group was first starting to learn the game way back in the revenge of the Sith days we were targeting our own characters and one player specifically would sacrifice cheap scrubs to base two characters and then lighting them all. So maybe it could work. I'm just playing advocate for rules guys but cool idea all the same.

As a final idea there is the Vader and Shimraa that kills off their own troops to boost everyone's attacks, so that is another angle too
Lord_Ball
Posted: Sunday, August 6, 2017 3:42:01 PM

The thing is targetting allies would be entirely optional, not required so closest target would be more correctly stated as closest enemy target.
surf_rider56
Posted: Sunday, August 6, 2017 7:37:42 PM

Collataral Damage just seemed to fit what the partisans in the Inferno Squad acted like; any sacrifice was worth it to hurt the enemy, including innocent civilians. So with Damage, as long as an enemy gets hurt, the damage is worth it to Saw's Partisans. Definitely a line drawn between them and the Rebel Alliance/Resistance.

I especially liked how the partisans described the Mothma Rebels as being the type more likely to have tea and invite Palpatine over and ask him to kindly stop hurting people and return the power to the Republic. Even Iden Versio thought, with contempt, they were dumb enough in the way they ran their rebellion ... with only the Death Star's desruction being the one atypical act that surprised both the partisans and the Imps.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Sunday, August 6, 2017 7:55:14 PM

I like collateral damage! Nice piece! I think he's a little expensive for Prideful - not saying he's undercosted, but rather there are a lot of expensive pieces that can get very solid boost from that Prideful. Good CE! The non-Unique restriction is great.

Glad you took on a Unique :P I know you usually prefer not to.
surf_rider56
Posted: Thursday, August 17, 2017 12:18:53 PM

While I work on my Rogue One characters, I happened on this pic and came up with this.

PZ-4CO He actually doesn't do much in the Force Awakens, but he's assigned to help Leia and "was a source of tactical data and communications during Resistance operations." I saw that and ran.

Comments always welcome.

Cheers,

surf
kobayashimaru
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2017 8:57:56 PM

"look sir, droids!" BigGrin

top stuff surf! that looks like something I'd be chuffed to pull as a Rare in a booster! BlooMilk

apologies to nit-pick, though surf, PZ-4CO is missing the "Droid" SA (don't worry, a few customs we've made also omit that hehe).
that minor concrit aside,
this PZ-4CO makes Paratus Mirror Droid Squads that much more interesting...
if only there was a way to get General Leia to have her CEs and SA's effect droids somehow...

then, we could super-stealth some ubercommando droids in the rebel faction...
they'd be pretty awesome. the E522droid becomes nasty in that mirror squad.
300 is where PZ-4CO becomes potentially meta-broken for mirror-droid spammers.
good stuff though, because Ion creep has been steadily increasing.

jolt-spark-ion Jawas/Ugnaught squads are probably the way to go vs Zann or Mirror Droid squads.
that, and superstealth'd jawa/ugnaughts have somewhat more of a chance against vong.
if only Ion did extra damage against Vong... jolt etc is the way to defeat Vong at their own slow-pace TKO game muahaha.
force them to activate, and concentrate fire.
surf_rider56
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2017 4:28:28 PM

@ Koba. Duhh! Fixed Droid misstep.

On another note, my real reason for the post was I was curious about when the Custom Character Contest (CCC) started and it was July. 2013.

On another side note, I saw an old card template post of mine from 2010; the pics are all photobucket tombstones now, but cardmaking was actually a reasonably thriving community with 15-20 people making cards and sharing ideas, templates, cost calculators etc. I seem to be, for the most part, the Last Man Standing (that regularly posts anyway.)

BlooMilk
General_Grievous
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2017 6:34:30 PM

Which is why you must never stop, you are the last legend Surf! Keep on surfing and we CCC'ers will keep contributing what we can. It's cool seeing the actual cards you make though
kobayashimaru
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2017 8:52:51 PM

indeed Surf,
that's staying power hehe. BigGrin
there's not many from WotC still gaming it up as much,
and of customizers, few folks at Bloomilk still make miniatures or custom statcards as much,
though I'm confident it will have a boom time soon.
there are increasingly more folks getting into SWMinis at Boardgamegeek, lead adventure and elsewhere,
so, I'm optimistic folks will continue making custom minis and statcards for a long time to follow.

thanks for the card, the revised PZ-4CO
will probably be part of the core of an "Easy PZ" themed squad I'll test at local hehe.
surf_rider56
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 12:48:32 PM

Well, school’s back in and at lunch time I’ve been reading things like Inferno Squad and rereading Rogue One and the Force Awakens. As I’ve been reading I’ve taken notes on various sundry stuff, so I’ve decided to release a few tidbits. This week, some Imperials. I’ve come to understand that V-Set 14 has some of my Force Awakens/Rogue One people but I try not to peek at them till after the fact (Make my card first and Then compare.) All these are strictly my take on them and definitely Not Tournament approved; just fun cards you can take or leave … or line your bird cage with Cool

Imperials

Deathtrooper The temptation here is to make them into the Ultimate Stormies, but I decided to stick to a few points, their bodyguard abilities regarding Krennic, teamwork as they fight (synchronized) and their unquestioning obedience to orders no matter what.

Director Orson Krennic Unlike the Deathtrooper, it was hard to pin down Krennic’s essence; he was hellbent on the Death Star, but how to translate that to a character? I decided to go with him motivating the Deathtroopers. Doctrine of Fear seemed like a copout, so I gave him a more focused motivation, but Ruthless was a given and I liked the CE too.

Hover Tank Driver The Hovertank driver from the ambush where we meet Saw’s partisan’s for the first time.

Shoretrooper Supposedly they were the best of the best stormtroopers, rotated in and out, Elite Elite Stormies.

My take, mia culpa. Comments appreciated.

Cheers,

surf
surf_rider56
Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 1:16:54 PM

.... that bad huh?
CorellianComedian
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2017 11:56:57 AM

Wow, I'm not sure where I was when these went up. I like your Death Trooper, very grunt-y compared to the tanky v-set one. The range 2 on Imperial Bodyguard is pretty cool! I think he is a little overcosted, though - this is where I usually end up at odds with the costing software - because as a trooper, he's pretty expensive at 15 points for just 20 HP/16 Def, and is both more expensive and less powerful than the Shoretrooper. He does have a few nice tricks on him, but I don't think I could use them as a base trooper. Krennic does boost them nicely, though (rangeless CE for the win ThumbsUp ). This is the sort of thing where I prefer to wrap the cost of bonuses up with the commander, not the trooper. But hey, to each his own!

That Shoretrooper is a thing of beauty! I wish that was the basic Clone Trooper piece Flapper maybe they'd finally get used.

And one last thing... that Krennic art is fantastic!

EDIT: Whoa! That Chiss Marine is amazing! I like Squad Movement with Frag Grenade Assault. I would totally play that!
kobayashimaru
Posted: Saturday, September 2, 2017 8:53:48 PM

@surf,
nah, it's not the statcards,
it's real-world gettin' in the way of replying (at least in my case hehe). BlooMilk

krennic and the deathtroopers/darktrooper are good fun.
the hover tank driver could make some vehicles more playable - skiffs moving at +2 speed, noice.
the TX130 tank or some fringe-faction tanks etc also become interesting.
if there were some way to add some republic vehicles into the empire, they might also become almost useful
(i'm still doing the number crunching on RotS Palps + AT-RT or ATTP etc, + 3 gunners...)

as to the shore-troopers,
maybe having an SA that makes them uber-stealthed while in low-terrain (yellow border objects)
that'd help them stand out.
that said, I do understand the catch22 there, as the Imperials already have a lot of uber-commando type pieces
scout troopers and the like, and I do recall the reflection about the Raxus Prime trooper v regular trooper debate a while back,
so, that one's tricky.

As to krennic, perhaps some rivalry with Tarkin,
or the uber-powerful equivalent of the Sith faction's "thought bomb" -
"single reactor ignition", now, that'd be fun stuff. BigGrin
Single Reactor Ignition: Replaces Turn; character on target square is defeated, save 11, splash 80, save 11.
something like that would be a +40pts ability, making krennic in the 70pts+ ballpark,
and preventing stuff like Ozzel, Daala or Tarkin, that's just enough to make that not a broken ability BigGrin

perhaps single-reactor ignition is more of an 'epic krennic' level ability for the mega-games?
it'd then be "trace a line from a board edge, all characters friend and foe alike are defeated, save 16" etc,
though, something like that would be very much broken...
General_Grievous
Posted: Monday, September 4, 2017 9:23:49 PM

I really like the Shore and Death troopers! Simple and cool stuff. Stable footing really reflects their limberness hahaha.

Krennic, the charging assualt +20 part is interesting and I wonder why it where that came from?

And I really like the hover tank driver but think he should be a bit cheaper
surf_rider56
Posted: Tuesday, September 5, 2017 8:46:23 AM

General_Grievous wrote:
I really like the Shore and Death troopers! Simple and cool stuff. Stable footing really reflects their limberness hahaha.

Krennic, the charging assualt +20 part is interesting and I wonder why it where that came from?

And I really like the hover tank driver but think he should be a bit cheaper

The Charging Assault came from the idea of the Shoretroopers/Walkers rushing in to wipe out the Rogue One commando's (by Krennic's orders.)

I would love to have the Hover Tank guy be 10-11, but his base alone with 50 hp was 11. He's actually 17 and I priced him down to 15; if I'd given him 30 hp, he'd still be 13. The higher hp just reflects him being in an armored vehicule I guess. BlooMilk
surf_rider56
Posted: Tuesday, September 5, 2017 8:55:43 AM

Just a touch of whimsy for this post Labor Day morning.

Max Rebo, right after Jabba dies and the Hutt Cartel looking for some payback ....

What can I say, I was amused ....

Next up, I was reading up on Gencon's results and what the meta was looking like. I never thought the OR should be low; in fact, I always thought the OR would blow away the Imps, never mind the newer Republic or the Rebels. With 10,000 years of history, Jedi (and the Troops) should have been more powerful than they've been portrayed. As such, I looked around and thought who Should boost them. I decided to take a fresh look at

Jedi Master Admiral Oteg

This is the Oteg that outsmarted the Sith, the one that was ready for a fight and prepared (Battle Ready,) a little unpredictable (Surprise Move,) and ready to counter the Sith at every step (Activation control.) Also, in the game he gives out orders to a strike team, so Black Ops.

My Take.

cheers,

surf