RegisterDonateLogin

Health warning: May increase the risk of Sith Rage in certain drinkers.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Too many Vsets ? Options
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2012 9:01:51 PM
Groups: Member

Looking at the diversity of the Regional results, I think the game is in the best state it's ever been - pretty much every faction is in with a chance of winning a Regional at the moment - apparently even Rebels are doing OK, now people have figured out what to do with them.

2 sets a year is good to me - I don't get to play often enough to try out everything that I want to, but it's good that there are constant previews and spoilers - it keeps me interested.

I think the biggest "problem" is that most of the 72 pieces in each set are actually usable in a competitive game to some degree - it's not just a few good pieces with a bunch of filler, so each set adds a large bunch of good pieces.

Power creep doesn't seem too bad so far - it'll be interesting to see if the big squads from before the v-sets like Solo Charge, Skybuck, and Black and Blue put in a good showing at GenCon
DARPH NADER
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2012 2:43:06 AM

As we have seen since DoTF, each new v-set shows that the design team are doing their job. No question that the v-sets keep the game fresh and alive and let's not forget that we the players do have a say in the process, through our ability to PT the new pieces. A prime example is (insert spoiler alert) the new Rodian Assassin, who in his final form is way better then the initial PT version.

To address some of the concerns about too much too soon; I tend to agree that 60 new pieces are too much, I would recommend a downshift to a forty piece set model be adopted. This way new pieces still make there way into the world, while at the same time we are not over saturating.
swinefeld
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2012 6:36:10 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I'm fine with the 60 piece sets.
I'm fine with the rate they are being released.
I'm fine with a higher percentage of them being good for tourney play.

As far as meta-gaming goes, I think it will be cool if/when it gets to the point where good combos go undiscovered for a longer period of time, and others are perhaps forgotten, due to the sheer amount of available options one has to consider. Blow it wide open, and keep it there. :)
Echo24
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2012 6:52:57 AM

R5Don4 wrote:
I don't think there can be too many, but inevitably what will happen and is already happening now is that entire top tier squads are going to consist of nothing but Vset pieces, aside from essential tech, which may one day become obsolete as well.

I've definitely made some squads that are almost entirely just V-set pieces. Do people consider that a bad thing, though? I really don't think it is. I think if we get to a point where ALL top tier squads are made up of only V-set pieces (or only V-set pieces plus Mouse Droids and/or Ugnaughts), then there is a problem. But right now you can make a squad with NO V-set pieces and compete, or you could make a squad with ALL V-set pieces and compete. That's one of the main goals for the V-sets; variety in what can be played. We don't want to completely supplant the WotC stats so that none are being played, but you should be able to play without the WotC pieces if you want to, just like you should be able to play without the V-sets if you want to.

I think eventually we will get to a point where you can't make a really competitive (and by that I mean tier 1; Skybuck might always be good, but there will probably eventually be a better version of it) squad without ANY V-set pieces, but that's just part of the game advancing; we got to a point where you couldn't make a competitive squad without ANY post-Rebel Storm pieces, and we got to the same point where you couldn't make a squad without ANY post-CotF pieces, I'm sure we'll eventually get to a point where you can't make a really competitive squad without ANY post-MotF pieces. But we want to be sure that you can still play a squad with pre-MotF pieces in it; you just might have to have a couple of V-set pieces boosting them.

Reducing the number of pieces per set is interesting. It's really hard for us designers to see if people are getting inundated with stats too quickly, because we're getting inundated with them even MORE quickly. While you guys are seeing spoilers and figuring out combos for set 4 pieces, I'm looking at and figuring out combos for set 5 pieces! It definitely is a lot, and sometimes I do think it would be nice to just take a breather from new stats and focus on what is already out. Are less pieces per set something people would really want? I obviously can't speak for everyone on the design team, but I think that's something we need to explore if that's what people want to see happen. We are actually releasing stats faster than WotC (they usually did 120 new characters per year, we're doing 144+ per year with the 120 base set pieces, 24 microset pieces, and then Epic pieces and other various things like the new Bounty Hunter Challenge characters coming out at GenCon), so maybe we should slow down to something more like their release schedule.
Hinkbert
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2012 7:49:11 AM

I concur with the idea of set # reduction (if it's feasible). I'm under the impression that the 72 was reached due to the way cards are printed so maybe it's a practical matter. At this point though with vset 4 on the way I think there could be a reduction after that to allow some catch up.
Echo24
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2012 8:30:28 AM

We print 72 at a time because the sheets they come on are sheets of 18 cards each. We wanted to do 60 cards, but 3 full sheets is 54 cards, meaning we had to have 4 sheets printed per set. For DotF (which didn't have a microset) that 4th sheet just had the same 6 cards printed 3 times, and the other sheets that each had 18 different cards were printed 3 times as often. The key, though, is that one of the big costs of printing is the number of DIFFERENT sheets that have to be printed, so the cost of printing 4 sheets with 60 cards is not much cheaper than 4 sheets with 72 cards (that is, 18 different cards on each sheet).

If we DID reduce the amount we printed, we would most likely reduce it to 3 sheets, which is 54 different cards. I imagine we would make that a 40 piece main set with a 14 piece subset instead of 60/12.

Here's a little more to think about, though. What would the current V-sets look like if they were just 40 pieces? I worked most closely with the set list on Vengeance since I was a designer on that one (as opposed to a playtester, lead playtester, or project manager for sets 1, 2, and 4, respectively), so here's what I think the set list would have been with just 40 pieces:

Quote:

Old Republic
1. Belth Allusis, Jedi Master
2. Covenant Consular
3. Covenant Hand
4. Master Vandar
5. Nomi Sunrider, Jedi Master

Sith
6. Darth Maladi
7. Dessel
8. Marka Ragnos
9. Sith Alchemist

Republic
10. Eeth Koth
11. Foul Moudama
12. Republic Commando Fi
13. Republic Commando Atin

Separatist
14. Elite commando droid
15. Nimbus Commando
16. Savage Oppress

Rebel
17. Galen Marek
18. Jek Porkins
19. SpecForce Vanguard

Imperial
20. Bothan Saboteur
21. Carnor Jax
22. Nightsister Mother

New Republic
23. Corran Horn, Jedi Master
24. GAG Special Guard
25. Jaden Korr

Fringe
26. Defel Pirate
27. Nightsister on Rancor
28. Malakili, Rancor Keeper
29. Silri
30. Tyber Zann
31. Zann Defiler

Mandolorian
32. Death Watch Mercenary
33. Death Watch Saboteur
34. Demagol
35. Mandolorian Torturer
36. Pre Vizsla

Yuuzhan Vong
37. Prefect Da'Gara
38. Onimi, Shamed One
39. Yuuzhan Vong Hunter
40. Yuuzhan Vong Hunter on Quednak

Honestly, I really don't like that. 40 pieces just doesn't give us enough to build something good for many factions. I maintained the YV Hunter pair, Mandos kept both the Death Watch stuff and the Torture stuff, but that's it, Fringe kept the Zann Consortium characters and kept some set flavor pieces, plus Malakili who was a long-term design plan, NR and Imperials got cut down a lot, Rebel only got a single SpecForce character instead of 2, meaning it will take much longer for us to finish fleshing them out, Seps didn't change too much. I actually left only uniques for Republic, because each of those 4 were important pieces for the set. Sith had to have a piece cut, and OR lost the Shadow, so the Covenant presence was weakened, and also got no shooter since the Trooper had to be dropped, as did Mical.

It seems to me that the best way to do 40 piece sets would be to focus on just a couple of factions instead of something for everybody. That would give us sets more like IE, GaW, and CW. If we did that and kept up with two releases per year, it could be a while before some factions get any love. I guess we could make sure that the microsets gave stuff to factions that weren't being represented in the main set, but that still leaves either just one or two pieces per faction or leaves some factions out. We've got 10 factions to design for; that's hard to do well with just 108 pieces per year. And what would people think about having to wait a full year for a new piece for a certain faction? Say you're a big Vong player; how would you feel about there being NO Vong pieces released for a year? Seems like it would suck to me.
Sithborg
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2012 8:39:02 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

The 60 + 12 definately gives the designers a lot of flexibilty in design. As to whether 2 a year or 1 is better is a different issue. I kind of like it this way. My only problem is building squads without the stuff I know is coming.
CerousMutor
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2012 9:44:35 AM

I think what the designers are doing is spot on!

They are giving us full sets, plus minis. If they focused on 1 40 piece set dedicated to '1' faction, era, set of books/comics, then they could be accused of not balancing the sets.

40 piece sets focused on every faction. Perfect.
Mini sets focused on key faction, era, set of books/comics. Perfect.

I certainly wouldnt say no to a few more specific mini setsThumbsUp

Keep it up!
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2012 9:56:01 AM

I think it's okay how it is. I'd say to move it back to once per 8 months instead of 6 months, except I do think it's worthwhile to keep a release in sync with Gencon. So 2 per year is fine.
qvos
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2012 5:13:51 PM

Also, I could see not having as many Unique figs if designers and Community members were running out of ideas. From what I've seen, There are so many ideas out there. I don't think creativity is going to dry up. Keep it up guys. I think it's going great. I still need to play with these last 2 v-sets.
Azman
Posted: Tuesday, May 1, 2012 4:27:42 AM

I am thankful to every ones input. I have enjoyed the discussion

One thing we all agree on: V Sets have been fantastic !
R5Don4
Posted: Tuesday, May 1, 2012 4:20:23 PM

I am definitely in favour of the present amount of new characters being on the bi-annual basis. The only reason I would ever want to see that amount go down is if resources were scarce and it was to maintain quality. Like Daniel said, the more that is released the more is available to play.
kezzamachine
Posted: Wednesday, May 2, 2012 12:26:17 AM

If you reduce the number below 144+ a year, I will hunt you all down. Just saying.
Darth O
Posted: Wednesday, May 2, 2012 12:44:48 AM

kezzamachine wrote:
If you reduce the number below 144+ a year, I will hunt you all down. Just saying.

As will I. Then I'll hunt Kez down to enforce my new Rule of One.
Echo24
Posted: Wednesday, May 2, 2012 12:17:56 PM

Obviously more pieces is better than less pieces, but here's a question for you: How many Vengeance/Cantina Brawl pieces have you gotten to play yet? How many R&R/Battle of Theed pieces have you gotten to play? If in the past 9 months or so you've only been able to play with half of R&R/BoT, would you really miss the other half? Be honest; I'm sure that most people would want as many pieces as they can get, but if it DID get reduced, how much would that really hurt?
R5Don4
Posted: Wednesday, May 2, 2012 12:26:03 PM

Echo24 wrote:
Obviously more pieces is better than less pieces, but here's a question for you: How many Vengeance/Cantina Brawl pieces have you gotten to play yet? How many R&R/Battle of Theed pieces have you gotten to play? If in the past 9 months or so you've only been able to play with half of R&R/BoT, would you really miss the other half? Be honest; I'm sure that most people would want as many pieces as they can get, but if it DID get reduced, how much would that really hurt?

The point is there are pieces in any set that most (myself included) have no interest in ever playing. The more new that comes out the more interesting combinations emerge and options players have to build squads in their favourite factions, which is the real crux of it. People have favourite factions/characters, it isn't the most competitive mindset, but it is true.
Sithborg
Posted: Wednesday, May 2, 2012 1:00:10 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Echo24 wrote:

It really depends. I mean, I will most likely rarely if ever play Mandos, so all Mando cards are essentially wasted on me? But taking pieces from factions I do play, yeah, it takes a bit away from stuff I would like to play.
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, May 2, 2012 1:08:23 PM

Echo24 wrote:

Republic's my favorite faction, and I've still never played the Gray Jedi or the Republic Jedi. I think that I waste too many practice games trying to make Vader Agent of Evil work.
jak
Posted: Wednesday, May 2, 2012 1:18:30 PM

Echo24 wrote:

ThumbsUp +1 ThumbsUp

I'm one of those who can't find player to play all the characters I want.

LESS pieces would be MORE squads I could play.ThumbsUp
countrydude82487
Posted: Wednesday, May 2, 2012 2:19:34 PM

i guarantee that i have played at least half of each of the sets. And nearly all of the mini sets. I playtest alot though so finding unique squads is my thing. I try to make something fun and competitive. Pluss alot of them are great in tile warsw. The only faction i will say that gets wasted on me is Vong. Just cant get into it.