RegisterDonateLogin

A Target Exclusive.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Battle of Hoth - Underhill Games, Cuyahoga Falls, OH - November 17th, 2012 Options
DARPH NADER
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2012 5:22:11 PM
Groups: Member

I'll be bringing X-Wing with me as well.
jak
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2012 8:03:46 PM

juice man wrote:
den25 wrote:
So I know that Gerry, Jak and Kreg will be there along with myself this Saturday. Is Joe going to make it? Anyone else? All are welcome!!!

I have a funeral service to attend - ending about noon. Try to be in after.

REAL LIFE CAN BE A DRAGCrying
keep the FAITH Joe!
we Heart eweBlink
DarthMatter
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2012 8:49:01 AM

Dennis,

As I said, I probably will not be able to make it...but I will try.

Just to let you know something of interest:

There was a group at Origins last year that ran a BoH scenario that got rave reviews. My friend, Padme's Lover on d20 or hobieslacker here, played it and was able to get the rules from them and we ran a fairly successful version a few months back with our boys.

I do not have any good details on this as my buddy really ran the show. The idea is to simplify the heck out of the game by using limited rules (especially card-based rules and stats). Troopers on either side were grouped into squads that moved together (hobie made little bins to group the troopers together). I believe each time a trooper in the squad was defeated, the player would get one +1 less to attack (sort of worked like a swarm i.e. ewoks). The groups of squads and uniques would also have a much more organized set of activations. Like the uniques would go, then the AT-AT, then the squads, then the wampas, then the droids. I can't remember the details. I seem to remember the victory conditions were that the Imps had to take out the field generator and the Rebs had to destroy the AT-ATs or something like that.

My son and I were the rebels and actually won because we had a few lucky roles on the harpoon guns. The Imperials did have a fairly big advantage.

Regardless, I would be really curious how your event will go with full rules and individual activations. I am also loving the inside outside thing you guys got going...very cool.

I will try to get you the set of rules that we used but I believe hobie got permission from the guys who made these rules first before we did it. Maybe I can get them and bring them on Saturday if I can make it. We have to be back home by 3:30pm for the OSU Wisconsin game so...it aint looking good....we'll see...

Take care,
DM
den25
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2012 11:16:32 AM

DM,

Thanks for posting. Yea, Kreg and I saw them running the BoH at Origins this year using that scenario. I'd love to see your copy of the rules and try it sometime. I'm hoping that we can turn this into an annual event for the third weekend of November at Underhills, so playing it the way the do at Origins is of high interest to me.

For our rules we are going to follow the rules from the scenario book for BoH that came with the AT-AT with a few modifications of our own, nothing too major.

If you can make it Saturday, even for a little while that would be great. We'd all love to meet you and your son. If you can bring a copy of the Origin's BoH even better. If you can't make it, no biggie, there's always next month...

Dennis
DARPH NADER
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2012 3:03:02 PM

Dennis to make things easy, I'll bring the pieces for the Echo Base battle.
Ewokbarber
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2012 3:31:36 PM

If you guys are doing a battle of hoth scenario can you post pics of how you set it up?
jak
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2012 3:42:00 PM

2 more days!ThumbsUp
I full of nerdous energy LOL
den25
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2012 1:33:46 PM

Yea, we will take some pictures of the set up and battle.

We need to peopel to bring as many of the following as possible:

snowspeeders
rebel turrets and the radar dishes
rebel hoth troopers
rebel hoth officers
rebel elite hoth troopers

imperial snowtroopers
imperial elite snowtroopers
imperial snowtrooper commanders
AT-ST's

See everyone tomorrow! DN, thanks on the Echo Base figs... have a safe drive!

"Prepare for ground assualt"
-General Rieekan
DarthMatter
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2012 7:48:35 PM

Dennis,

Unfortunately, my bud promised not to disseminate the rules he borrowed any further....but I will contact them myself and try to get permission mayhaps for next year?

But...I think I will be trying to make it down tomorrow to watch...my son would never make it long enough to play...

See ya all tomorrow,
Steve
jak
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2012 6:36:18 AM

awesome time!BigGrin
thanx to den25 editor for making the hoth battle happenThumbsUp
the empire(me) did pretty well vs rebels(darph nader & editor)
scenario well well planned and interesting

Blushing apologies to all for losing my cool over a rules debateBlushing

GREAT TO SEE ALL OF YOU AGAIN, AND MEET NEW MEMBERSCool

peaceWink
den25
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2012 7:58:29 AM

It was great to see everyone yesterday! Special thanks to Darph Nader for making the long trip from New York with his son and to editor for coming in from Pennsylvania to play. Also, thanks to DarthMatter for stopping by and introducing himself to everyone and bringing his son along. It's great to see fathers teaching their sons how to play this game. Further thanks to jak for showing up and leading the imperails. We were also glad juiceman could make it, considering the day he had, it was nice that he could make it!

Editor and I did a lot of discussion before hand trying to figure this battle out and give the rebels a fighting chance. The outside battle took some time and by the end of round 1 it was more than obvious that the imperials would be victorious. The rebels had managed to put A LOT of damage into one of the two AT-AT's and had we continued into round 2 it would have been taken down. However the Imperails would have easily previaled beyond that.

This battle was a bit of a beta test for us all. There was good discussion concerning rules and how to adjust the scenario in the future to give the Rebels a better chance.

Jak, no worries, making a point with consistancy is not a bad thing, as mod, I was just trying to adjust the game on the fly since I saw that it was going to be a VERY lopsided victory. We're good.

Ultimately, Jak used the very wise strategy to eliminate the officers that gave deadeye (which gave the rebels the ability to put some serious damage into the AT-AT's). Since the rebles only had a few of these officers set up, this abliltiy was taken away rather quickly.

The rebels were doing thier best to focus on one AT-AT at a time and bring down one, then move on to the next one.

Lessons learned: After some discussion trying to do this scenario more to the movie I think in the future, we will not have ANY Imperail snowtroopers on the ground and place them all inside the AT-AT's. Also, we ONLY let the Imperials use the AT-ST blizzard scout and no other AT-ST's. Also, we let the Imperials use either 4 or 5 AT-AT's. We will also have to figure out the max number of snowspeeder we will allow for the rebels.

Now adding additional AT-AT's might seem counter-intuitive to make this a little more fair, but we decided to modify the rebel snowspeeder harpoon gun rule a bit for future BoH scenarios that will work like this.

Harpoon Gun - Replaces attacks: range 6; target enemy with Mounted Weapon cannot move this round; save 6; target enemy must make a second save 6 to avoid being defeated.

Expert harpoon Gunner - Replaces attacks: range 6; target enemy with Mounted Weapon cannot move this round; save 16. If the save is less than 6, the target enemy must make a second save 6 to avoid being defeated.

That really gives the snowspeeders some teeth but it also allows for having more AT-AT's and looking a bit more like the movie.

I know that others have put many long hours and have created excellect Boh scenarios, not the least of which is the one that they run at Origins. I know that others have come up with great ideas on how to work this scenario. We are not trying to re-invent the wheel here or replace any other scenario, just trying to come up with a different perspective on the scenario that looks and feels a lot like the movie as we see it.

I'll leave the indoor battle to DN to describe. We came up with some very good ideas on how to run that, and ultimately our discussion kept going back to making it very similar to the movie. Getting Leia off the map and to her ship(the Falcon). I think we can tweak that one much quicker than the outdoor battle and next year it will be very cool doing the outdoor battle and then moving to the indoor one.

Again, my thanks to everyone for showing up, bring their pieces and for being patient with me as I tried to get this battle fleshed out. My goal is to make this much clearer to everyone especially the rules BEFORE the start and getting the scenario to a point where it gives the rebels a fighting chance (without being an equal chance).

I did take some pics, I'll post links soon.

Thanks for reading.

Dennis
editor
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2012 10:42:03 AM

It was great to meet Steve & David and Gerry & Kirin and to see Jak, Joe & Dennis again.

We got some gaming in between the discussions -- and next time, it will go faster & smoother.

I believe that 2 maps wide should be enough, so we'd have "A-B", then "C-D" below them. Placing the 2'x3' poster top-loaders on the maps, we'd only have 6" per side uncovered -- making more room for the cards and units, plus making it more feasible for other venues besides Underhill's -- who has great lab tables. ThumbsUp

I'm going to see about getting 2 custom maps made without terrain features, longer trenches, etc. to cut down on the LOS-figuring. If anyone knows or recommends a map-builder, please PM me.

The gray backside of the "Death Star Tractor Beam" map works well for open snow/ice and is common enough for everyone to have.

Gerry's Echo Base map was neat to see, but not as cool as his Death Star Trench modules. ThumpUp

Pix ::

http://WebGuruForHire.com/SWM/Hoth/1-Hoth-Set-Up.jpg
http://WebGuruForHire.com/SWM/Hoth/2-Rebel-Ground-View.jpg
http://WebGuruForHire.com/SWM/Hoth/3-Imperial-Forces.jpg
http://WebGuruForHire.com/SWM/Hoth/4-Echo-Base.jpg
http://WebGuruForHire.com/SWM/Hoth/5-Death-Star-Trench-Echo-Base.jpg
DARPH NADER
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2012 2:30:13 PM

Well after a long day yesterday time to reflect, mission number one accomplished meet new peeps. Kreg and Steve it was great to meet you both and your son Steve and Jak, Juicy and den25 always my pleasure! It is my hope that beyond Buffacon we'll see you at FrostyCon and the WNY regional in 2013, which isn't too far in the distance now.

Dennis & Kreg nice job on the setup BlooMilk and as stated above lots of refining and brainstorming will smooth out the the go forward end product. I'll post up our thoughts as to the inside battle in the coming days.

All the best!
R5Don4
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2012 2:37:12 PM

Great report. As someone who's done the big Hoth thing a couple times I know while it is a grind, it is worth it. Thanks for the pics.
jak
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 6:27:06 AM

R5Don4 wrote:
Great report. As someone who's done the big Hoth thing a couple times I know while it is a grind, it is worth it. Thanks for the pics.

Blink ps--the empire crushed the rebels (again)LOL

news flash...............AT-AT'S are lethal as fixed artillery guns