For best taste, drink before 140 ABY.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

AKRO-CON JUNE 2013 now includes 2nd ANNUAL NE OHIO REGIONAL Options
DARPH NADER
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 8:49:29 AM
Groups: Member

jak wrote:
are you gonna bring son #1?

That's a negative Ghost Rider, me solo...
DARPH NADER
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 8:51:59 AM

I have however made my Regional squad and map selection after much internal debate. Its definitely something out of my norm and I have no idea how it will fare but it will be fun.
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 9:45:00 AM

DARPH NADER wrote:
I have however made my Regional squad and map selection after much internal debate. Its definitely something out of my norm and I have no idea how it will fare but it will be fun.

+1

This one is WAAAAYYY out of my comfort zone. And it didn't fare well in the couple playtests I did either, but I am stubborn . . .
den25
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 9:57:06 AM

Quote:
This one is WAAAAYYY out of my comfort zone. And it didn't fare well in the couple playtests I did either, but I am stubborn . . .

This should be the motto of the whole weekend...

Trying things outside our comfort zone.

I think it's only gonna make for a fun weekend though!
jak
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 11:04:57 AM

almost forgot
anyone have a peaceful city map I can use?
Mellow I would gladly pay you Tuesday!ThumbsUp
DARPH NADER
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 11:46:44 AM

jak wrote:
almost forgot
anyone have a peaceful city map I can use?
Mellow I would gladly pay you Tuesday!ThumbsUp

You are not only covered, you are gifted... I have a spare that you can have, just make sure I get clean sheets! Wink
DarthMatter
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 4:23:09 PM

What time do u guys play on Sunday?...will try to drop by to watch if I can...
den25
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 5:01:32 PM

Quote:
What time do u guys play on Sunday?...will try to drop by to watch if I can...

Underhills opens at noon. We'll get things set up and discuss the Epic Follower SA and then get started probably by 1:00pm.

Bring your son! We'd love it if you stopped by!

BigGrin
DarthMatter
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 6:37:55 PM

Quote:
Bring your son! We'd love it if you stopped by!

That's the plan...we'll try to make it...
jak
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 6:58:23 AM

DARPH NADER wrote:

You are not only covered, you are gifted... I have a spare that you can have, just make sure I get clean sheets! Wink

not only will the sheets be clean, I'll toss in some retro GenCon snugglingWink
DARPH NADER
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 9:18:28 AM

jak wrote:
DARPH NADER wrote:

not only will the sheets be clean, I'll toss in some retro GenCon snugglingWink

Do not cross the Neutral Zone!
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 11:40:51 AM

In OH. Be there in about 2 hours, looking forward to nerd weekend.
den25
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 12:00:48 PM

Quote:
In OH. Be there in about 2 hours, looking forward to nerd weekend.

Sweet! Drive safe!
Darth_Jim
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2013 3:55:42 AM

Best of luck to everyone, especially Jak. Win one for the geezer.
jak
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 7:04:48 AM

TOP 3

TimmerB123 #1ThumbsUp

Den #2ThumpUp

Editor #3Cool

had a great time & a few adventuresUnsure
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 2:52:39 PM

jak wrote:

had a great time & a few adventuresUnsure

LOL What happens in Akron, STAYS in Akron!

Fun weekend for sure. It was great seeing Jack, Joe and Gerry, great trip down with Shawn, and awesome meeting Dennis and Craig!

Small field, but 5 states represented.

I ran republic (and no matter how much I scrub I still feel gross).

I kid, but republic is not my style. Never have gotten the hang of it completely. Honestly - a lot of us ran non-tier 1 squads, or else I wouldn't have won.

But - that makes a nice even 10 regional wins for me. With every faction but OR and Mandos on the list. Guess you know what I'll be playing next year at Regionals. Lol

I ran:

--STAP Infection--
43 Jedi Master Jorus C'baoth
35 Anakin Skywalker on STAP
27 Ferus Olin
27 Lobot
21 The Dark Woman
18 Klatooinian Captain
12 Gha Nachkt
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
8 Mouse Droid x4

(200pts. 12 activations)

I've seen many variants of this squad, but this is what I ran. I really feel like it needs all this PLUS Panaka, or Qui-Gon JT, or Coleman Trebor, or Admiral Yularen to really be good, but obviously it doesn't all fit!

The squad is pretty gimmicky, and save dependent. I never lost Jorus with his save 6 after using Master Mind Meld, but I had to have failed the save at least 6 or 7 times in the day, but made it with the FP reroll. 2 times I had to use MotF 2 after failing twice just to save him. Then no MMM that round. I used Dark Tempation several times, and lost Ferus AND Anakin multiple times, but was still able to eek out victories. I even used MotF2 with Ferus to reroll the save and still list him twice. (Ugh!)

Obviously there is huge damage potential, but it's fragile. It's so tempting (ha!) to do a deep strike I the first few rounds, but you HAVE to be patient. Really you need to pop MMM right away, then cloak Anakin, Dark Woman, and Ferus. Replaces turn, so they are stuck there. Then next turn you advance and use renewal 2 to gain some back. You really HAVE to have Anakin have more then 2 FPs once you start engaging. So you really can't do much until round 3. This squad plays SURPRISINGLY SLOW, and it's hard to get full 3pt wins. Granted it really slows things down when you lose your main piece to the enemy, and you have to then kill them. Yes, you get the points, but usually not worth it. I seemed to only ever lose full HP guys. When it would have been fine to lose someone (almost dead, then I could kill them and take the points), I'd make the save, Lol.

Only using 1 FP per turn with Anakin having such a low attack really holds him back. You lose Jorus' CE on deep strikes, and if your not using Dark Temptation, it's a pathetic 7 attack. So hard to hit. Can't phase and DT. Can't reroll the save after doing DT, can't reroll an attack and do ANYTHING else. Anyway - potential is there, but it's tough to run. Gha was surprisingly key. Up to 22 activations REALLY saved me.

I'll post more later.

Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 4:33:11 PM

I had a great time!

Tim and Shawn - It was a pleasure meeting you both! Thanks for making the trip down to see us. Congrats Tim on the win!

Gerry - It's always great to see you! Thanks for making the trip from NY.

Kreg(Editor) - Thanks for making it from PA and for all the awesome work that you put into Epic Followers! It's always great to see you!

Jak and Joe - Thanks for putting on a great tourney! Great prizes Jak! It's always fun playing with you guys!

Regional
1. Republic
2. Mando
3. Vong

I still can't believe that Joe got 4 saves from Zombie Leia against me. Ugh, that sucked, but it still makes me laugh.

Sunday

It was a lot of fun! Epic Followers was a blast! Joe won the day with some pretty sound victories.

Shot of the day was when Kreg's Epic Boba moved in and killed a wounded Celeste and Epic Follow 4-LOM to win the game.
thereisnotry
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 5:11:44 PM

den25 wrote:
Sunday

It was a lot of fun! Epic Followers was a blast! Joe won the day with some pretty sound victories.

Shot of the day was when Kreg's Epic Boba moved in and killed a wounded Celeste and Epic Follow 4-LOM to win the game.

Awesome! I can't wait to see the full final cards! They're ready to go up on Vassal the moment I know the HP of each character...everything else is ready.
DARPH NADER
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 7:37:48 PM

First off my thanks to House MacEwen for hosting three drunken wayward travelers this weekend. BlooMilk BlooMilk BlooMilk

Friday night, was the stuff of legend! It was really great to see and hangout with the OH crew there and despite our low turnout we had a great set of events as it happens! My only regret was that I had to miss th Epic Followers do to home front responsibilities.

Loved all of the new games played plus the old standard knockdown drag out Risk game. BTW... Shawn, I'd like to see what would have happened with your 75 armies coming to smash poor little Siam before I was overcome by the Tullimore. LOL

On Saturday I chose to run my Jaina/Kelborn squad on Peaceful City and it did ok by going 2-1 (four points). It was fun to play a piece that doesn't get played often and for good reason, as she's Waaaay too fragile to be effective consistently. I only got the Triple/Twin off once against three different targets on the same engagement but mainly she was used for hit and run which is the way she ought to be played. A lot of fun in each of my matches and a tip of the cap to the Juice Man for his various SpecForce pieces, they were cool beans. ThumpUp G-Funk, man another crazy grinder of a match loved the use of Jabba GCB with the living Seps. Cool Lost to Tim twice, during swiss on my map and then in the semis, as his Bespin is simply brutal for this squad to handle the Joruus' trickery. Crying

Nice job on the trophies jak and thanks again to everyone I had a great time with lots and lots of laughs!
Galactic Funk
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2013 5:45:23 AM

First off a HUGE thanks to the MacEwan's for opening up their home for some of us to crash. It was an absolute pleasure meeting you and your wife Jak and I look forward to the next time.

Second, kudos on organizing a great event guys. Underhill Games was a great shop and I had a great time. I really wish I could have stayed for Sundays Epic Followers game.

As always with these events I think the best part is meeting new people. I had really nice conversations with both Dennis and Kreg after the tourney wrapped up Saturday (bummer that I didn't get to play either of you). Had a lot of fun hanging out with Jak and Joe.

Gerry, what can I say man. It was of course a pleasure as always and your x-wing set up is an absolute work of art. That was so awesome to get a chance to play on that board.

Tim and I had a really smooth drive out there and back and with good conversation the trip really seemed to go really fast.

We got a bunch of gaming in throughout the weekend (including a lot of non-swm games) and it was a blast. I'll put something together later about what I ran Saturday and how it went.