RegisterDonateLogin

Has brought peace, freedom, and security to the new Empire.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

FrostyCon 2013: (2/22-2/24) Options
pastorbudwine@mac.com
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2013 6:04:21 PM
Groups: Member

Can we get the official rules for King of the ring soon?
jak
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2013 9:17:03 PM

Darth_Jim wrote:
I hope we can catch up on Robin's budding career while we play.

Drool Flapper Drool Flapper "Robin's budding"ThumbsUp

any one got a sock I could borrowConfused
DARPH NADER
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 4:41:48 AM

pastorbudwine@mac.com wrote:
Can we get the official rules for King of the ring soon?

Rules you say? Alright then rules it shall be...

Each KotR contestant shall bring a 200 constructed four character squad, which adheres to normal faction interaction. At the start of the contest we will look to see how many brave souls have accepted the challenge to determine ring pairings.

So the following mix will be in effect for the opening round...

3 players - one ring
4 players - one ring
6 players - two rings, three contestants
8 players - two rings, four contestants
9 players - three rings, three contestants
10 players - two rings, five contestants
12 players - three rings, four contestants

Should the number of players be 5, 7 or 11 it will be my duty as host to bow out of the KotR.Crying As this creates an imbalance within a particular ring. Each contestant will be assigned a number for the round which will determine character deployment. Our ring girl Lady Nuthenge shall randomly roll the appropriate polyhedral die for the contestant, then a d4 for the specific character. Combat could conceivably ensue as late as round six based on the die rolls. Initiative will behave as normal, standard d20 descending order of roll.

As a contestant eliminates a character from the ring those points are awarded to the player who scored the kill shot, contestants should keep an accurate accounting of their kills as it may determine their passage to the elimination round.
Opening round finishes when there is only one contestant's forces remaining in each ring. The survivors receive the auto bid to the elimination round while highest kill total non survivor/s shall fill out the final four. Repeat process in the elimination round until two contestants remain the round survivor and highest kill point from the elimination round.

The final round shall be played slightly differently than the previous two round where in each combat round both players will have a random character selection rolled, so as to make it as equitable as possible. The final round shall be played on the KotR trophy crafted by Pastorbudwine and it is a thing of beauty. So three rounds in all, should play fast so we can get to other silliness.

Survival of the craftiest, fittest and most importantly the luckiest! Wink

One last thing, alliances are expressly frowned upon in this format as DQ's are possible. Angry
Hinkbert
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 6:26:34 AM

squads need to be exactly 200 points?
DARPH NADER
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 6:32:01 AM

Hinkbert wrote:
squads need to be exactly 200 points?

Negative, squads do not have be exactly 200.
Hinkbert
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 6:38:57 AM

How does init get determined again?
DARPH NADER
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 7:05:12 AM

Hinkbert wrote:

Everyone active in the ring at the beginning of the round rolls for init on a d20.
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 8:22:09 AM

DARPH NADER wrote:

One last thing, alliances are expressly frowned upon in this format as DQ's are possible. Angry

It totally makes sense that predetermined truces would be unfair.

But . . .

Would it be viewed as an alliance by saying, "That guy is running away with this, we all need to attack him!"

The latter just seems like savvy play, but I thought I'd ask so we are all clear.
Hinkbert
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 8:40:27 AM

DARPH NADER wrote:
Hinkbert wrote:

Everyone active in the ring at the beginning of the round rolls for init on a d20.

Thx. I haven't played this since last June and I think we just did epic duo then. So one piece in the ring from your team at a time?

If that's the case ghosts would serve no purpose correct?
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 8:49:05 AM

also - is there a commander effect limit to Epic this time? And is the Yammosk counted as a commander?
christophercook
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 11:17:45 AM

Hey guys looking forward to playing the best players in the country out there next saturday. Luke and myself are playing and thinking about brining my 8 year old son to play x-wing, and wondering how many of you are up for a few games as the playoffs are going on. Just trying to get a feel so its not a wasted trip for my younger guy, as he is willing to give up his basketball game for minis action. Also he would love to play the person with the bye in xwing if there are uneven players during the SWM tourney.

Chris
pastorbudwine@mac.com
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 3:18:17 PM

Hey Gerry I am unclear as to how pieces enter the ring? Is it all random or do we choose. Also I am assuming commander effects don't work unless they are in the ring?
DARPH NADER
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 6:19:11 PM

Hey Gerry I am unclear as to how pieces enter the ring? Is it all random or do we choose. Also I am assuming commander effects don't work unless they are in the ring?

As above you're assigned a number at your ring, the ring girl each round rolls if your number comes up then a d4 is rolled to determine which of your pieces are to be placed.
DARPH NADER
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 8:06:26 PM

Hinkbert wrote:
DARPH NADER wrote:
Hinkbert wrote:

Thx. I haven't played this since last June and I think we just did epic duo then. So one piece in the ring from your team at a time? Correct, each combat round the die is cast to determine which player and which piece goes into the ring.

If that's the case ghosts would serve no purpose correct? Depends on when they arrived as their efficacy would be of little value if they were to arrive early on in round.
DARPH NADER
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 8:13:02 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
also - is there a commander effect limit to Epic this time? And is the Yammosk counted as a commander?

Squads are limited to 3 CE's and the Yammosk does count for a CE slot. Only significant change from last go round would be 75 points for gambit (still only scored by Epic) and ABM active only until the end of the turn.

My biggest concern is the number of players available for the Epic 500, I'd hate to see only 4-6 be involved.
DARPH NADER
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 8:20:47 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
DARPH NADER wrote:

But . . .

Would it be viewed as an alliance by saying, "That guy is running away with this, we all need to attack him!"

The latter just seems like savvy play, but I thought I'd ask so we are all clear.

You've got to be careful about the "gang-up" effect, it should be a free for all. Moreover how would you react if you were the one running away with it and you then got stomped?
Hinkbert
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 9:19:57 PM

christophercook wrote:
Hey guys looking forward to playing the best players in the country out there next saturday. Luke and myself are playing and thinking about brining my 8 year old son to play x-wing, and wondering how many of you are up for a few games as the playoffs are going on. Just trying to get a feel so its not a wasted trip for my younger guy, as he is willing to give up his basketball game for minis action. Also he would love to play the person with the bye in xwing if there are uneven players during the SWM tourney.

Chris

I don't have any pieces but I know how to play so if you have the enough stuff I'd play if I got a bye.
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 9:48:59 PM

DARPH NADER wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
DARPH NADER wrote:

But . . .

You've got to be careful about the "gang-up" effect, it should be a free for all. Moreover how would you react if you were the one running away with it and you then got stomped?

I see what you're saying, it just seems inherent in this format. It really lends itself to an attack the leader sort or mentality. Why wouldn't you. But I guess what I need to take that as is a personal choice, and not to vocalize it to try and sway others. Not as much diplomatic negotiating, more just hit what you can.

Oh, and also . . .

DARPH NADER wrote:

As above you're assigned a number at your ring, the ring girl each round rolls if your number comes up then a d4 is rolled to determine which of your pieces are to be placed.

Ring Girl? Is Mrs. Russell gonna strut around in a Bikini? If not, then I think Jak should. LOL
DARPH NADER
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 3:48:18 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
DARPH NADER wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
DARPH NADER wrote:

But . . .

I see what you're saying, it just seems inherent in this format. It really lends itself to an attack the leader sort or mentality. Why wouldn't you. But I guess what I need to take that as is a personal choice, and not to vocalize it to try and sway others. Exactly Not as much diplomatic negotiating, more just hit what you can.

Oh, and also . . .

DARPH NADER wrote:

Ring Girl? Is Mrs. Russell gonna strut around in a Bikini? If not, then I think Jak should. LOL

If jak struts around in a bikini, then please to pass cyanide capsule and glass of water. As this would be an auto fail of my sanity check.
DARPH NADER
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 6:24:42 PM

Z-minus 4... Bomb Bomb Bomb