RegisterDonateLogin

Does not grant you the rank of Master.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Few gencon questions Options
Lachesis
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 6:56:23 PM
Groups: Member

when?

also what is the format for the tourny, i know its 150, but i mean is it single elimination, double elimination, or do i fight an amount of opponents no matter if i win or lose?
Slie
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2009 12:55:50 AM

It's swiss format. So you play 7or 8 games then the top 8 based on number of wins and strenth of schedule will play in the top 8 final.
LoboStele
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2009 2:46:37 AM

I assume you're talking about just the Championships. As Slie said, it's Swiss format, and in the previous 2 years, it's been 7 rounds. If we maxed out the participation all the way to the 128 person limit, then it would be 8 rounds. I kind of doubt that would happen though.

Whether you win or lose, or whether you make it to the finals or not, it's awesome playing through the whole day. Get to meet some great people, get to have some epic games...good stuff.
Mickey
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2009 2:51:17 AM

So we could enter just the one event and play all day? I'm still unsure what event(s) we should consider. Any suggestions?
LoboStele
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2009 2:58:05 AM

The Championship costs double what most of the other events do, but it will run nearly all day long. You're looking at 7 rounds, so 1 hour for each round, plus a little fluff time in between there for people to finish their games, report the results, generate pairings for the next round, etc. So, close to 9 hours just for all that. And last year (and I believe the plan is the same this year) we took a 1 hour break after the 3rd round or so for people to go get some food or whatever.

The Championships start at 10am, and last year we finished the last round just shortly before 8pm I believe. It's a long day.

Now...depending on how competitively you play, the Championships might be a great thing if you want to spend all day playing SWM. However, be warned, the games in the Championships can be pretty brutal. So, if you're planning to just come for the 'fun' of playing SWM, there may be other events you should look into instead. Not to say that they still aren't fun though. I had some wickedly fun games in the Champs last year.

But even if you don't want to play in the Championships, you CAN do SWM ALL day long, ALL weekend long. SWMs is the ONLY thing I go to GenCon for. I usually spend, MAYBE, 2-3 hours in the dealer hall throughout the weekend. The entire rest of the time is in the SWM area. There is never a shortage of things you can play, and there are tons of other events besides the Championships or the 'Jedi Masters' series, which are the two more competitive formats. There's sealed events, Dynamic Duo, Tile Wars, scenario events, League play....plenty to do.
graloth
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2009 7:41:42 AM

http://www.gencon.com/2009/indy/default.aspx

i cant find out what day has what event though. it just says "weve got lots of events" what events? im hoping to play the Championship but i would also like to play some free play games and maybe even some mtg.
dnemiller
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2009 7:50:26 AM

I am not sure where the schedule of events is

I know the Battle of Hoth event is already sold out.

But if you are not sure what you want to do while there and it is your first time may I suggest playing league.

League is $30 bucks and you get 2 boosters. You then can play all weekend long and every time you report a game you get a free mini (although sometimes it is every three games) It is a great way to play for fun and get your minis fix and it is a great value.
LoboStele
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2009 8:20:49 AM

graloth wrote:

i cant find out what day has what event though. it just says "weve got lots of events" what events? im hoping to play the Championship but i would also like to play some free play games and maybe even some mtg.

You go to that link. Then click on the 'Register Now' button that is on the right hand side. Then you have to log-in. You can't look at the event calendar without logging in.

After you've logged in, towards the bottom of the page is a link for 'Find Events'. Click that, then fill in the various search fields and go to town. If you just put 'Star Wars' in the 'Keyword' field, you'll find pretty much all the minis events.
graloth
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2009 9:58:18 AM

LoboStele wrote:
graloth wrote:

You go to that link. Then click on the 'Register Now' button that is on the right hand side. Then you have to log-in. You can't look at the event calendar without logging in.

After you've logged in, towards the bottom of the page is a link for 'Find Events'. Click that, then fill in the various search fields and go to town. If you just put 'Star Wars' in the 'Keyword' field, you'll find pretty much all the minis events.
omg i feel stupid now thanks.
is there a free play area that u dont need tickets for.
Lachesis
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2009 7:23:20 PM

sorry for asking questions i could probley find out on my own, but.

what do you win, and how many people win.
Mickey
Posted: Friday, May 1, 2009 12:29:20 AM

Would we be able to just get our weekend pass and show up and get into events? Are the prices higher for not preregistering for events? The league stuff sounds fun.
LoboStele
Posted: Friday, May 1, 2009 2:06:49 AM

graloth wrote:
is there a free play area that u dont need tickets for.

Well, pretty much the whole area can be a 'free play' area, as long as some other tournaments aren't going on that need the table space you're using. There's always been some empty tables here and there, so definitely room to just play pick up games, or just hang out.

Lachesis wrote:
sorry for asking questions i could probley find out on my own, but.

what do you win, and how many people win.

Don't worry about asking too many questions. If answering questions helps you decide to come to GenCon, then the more, the merrier!

What you win depends on what event you're in. All of the events, except for the Championships, only go 4 rounds. Anyone who is 4-0 at the end has received 4 boosters, and anyone 3-1 has received 1 booster. Of course, this is what they did last year, so it's always possible it could change. Moses' post on WOTC did say that anyone with only 1 loss or no losses would get prize support, so I'm guessing it will be similar.

The Championships are a bit different. Two years ago, there were cash prizes for the top 8. Last year only the 1st place person won anything terribly special, and it was a complete set of KOTOR. The other 7 people in the Top 8 received boosters (4 each I think), and then everyone in 9th-16th place got one booster (I think). I believe the top 16 or maybe 25 all got copies of the Taris map too. Something like that. Now, the 'Championships' at PAX last year got specialized trophies as well. Since the Champs are back at GenCon this year, we'll see what they end up doing. There's been no word yet whether it will be a cash prize, or just product, or what it will be.

Last year, and again this year, there is also the 'Jedi Challenge', which is a combination of multiple events. There's regular 100, 150, and 200 point, 4-round tournaments on Thursday and Friday. The person with the best overall record from those 3 events gets a special prize. Last year, it was complete set of KOTOR as well.

The prizes for the scenario events, like the Hoth Battle, are always different. I've not participated in those, but if you're really interested to know what those prizes are, you could contact Boris_the_Dwarf.

Mickey wrote:
Would we be able to just get our weekend pass and show up and get into events? Are the prices higher for not preregistering for events? The league stuff sounds fun.

Prices for the individual events are the same beforehand, or the day of, at least in the past they have been.

In the past, it's never been a problem to just register for things shortly before. However, there are two ways to register for events: 1) buying an official event ticket, or 2) buying generic tickets. If you buy generic tickets, you're sort of on a waiting list. If the event is sold-out, you can still get in with generic tickets, but only if not everyone shows up. So, at this point, for instance, the Hoth Battle events are sold out. But if you really wanted to do those ones, you could buy generic tickets, then show up about an hour or so before hand, and let the registration people know that you want to be put on the waiting list. Get there early enough, and you could be the 1st or 2nd person on the list, and then you'd probably stand a good chance of getting in.

If you decide to purchase specific event tickets for, say the Thursday 150 point DCI tournament, then you'll want to give yourself at least 30 minutes, probably more like an hour, to stand in line and buy the tickets. Heck, even just to buy the generic tickets you'll want to give yourself plenty of time.

As for the League Play, the Championship, or any of the other 4 round tournaments, it's never been a problem to just show up shortly before hand. Those have never been completely full.

However, you can go to the GenCon website, and look at the events, and it will show you how many people have registered, and how many spots are still open.
Mickey
Posted: Friday, May 1, 2009 2:25:07 AM

Thanks for the info!
billiv15
Posted: Friday, May 1, 2009 2:35:12 AM

The winner of the Championship will also get a special SWMs T-shirt, designed by me as part of their prize :)
engineer
Posted: Friday, May 1, 2009 2:51:23 AM

billiv15 wrote:
The winner of the Championship will also get a special SWMs T-shirt, designed by me as part of their prize :)

I wish I could get one of those. :)
dnemiller
Posted: Friday, May 1, 2009 3:28:35 AM

I think first prize for the Champs is a Laptop and then 2nd is an IPOD
billiv15
Posted: Friday, May 1, 2009 3:36:18 AM

engineer wrote:
billiv15 wrote:

I wish I could get one of those. :)

Past Champions also get one.

In fact, I am getting T-shirts for all HoFers, and for all past Champions that are present. So in fact, I will have two for you! :)
Lachesis
Posted: Friday, May 1, 2009 4:07:50 AM

just the being the champion is prize enough, honestly. i cant wait to winRollEyes RollEyes RollEyes RollEyes RollEyes RollEyes
LoboStele
Posted: Friday, May 1, 2009 5:05:45 AM

dnemiller wrote:
I think first prize for the Champs is a Laptop and then 2nd is an IPOD

Seriously?? Has this been announced anywhere? Or are you just going off what you heard from your insider sources? BigGrin
dnemiller
Posted: Friday, May 1, 2009 5:11:27 AM

no I read that somewhere. It was posted somewhere because I think BIll was telling me about it first and he is not my inside info person. I actually never discuss that with Jim because I am the Head Judge for the big shin-dig. But I swear it was listed somewhere.