RegisterDonateLogin

Come on, Snips.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Squad/Scenario Design Contest: Level 0 Options
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, June 6, 2013 11:04:27 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

SignerJ wrote:
For Level 0, I keep thinking of cheap, low-cost figures that have an overall low rating on Bloomilk. Ranged characters should have a low Attack so as to encourage combining fire, and neither side should be able to out-activate the other (within reason). Auto-damage should be minimized to nothing above 20, and speed should be limited to Speed 6, without movement breakers. Nothing should have more attacks than two a turn. Non-targeting abilities should probably be limited to adjacent. No Diplomat, etc.

How were the two squads I designed?

I thought they were good. I suggested adding a simple commander just so the new player sees a commander effect, and also because you had the cost of the Jedi Guardian higher than it should have been, so there was room for it.
SignerJ
Posted: Thursday, June 6, 2013 11:20:33 AM
Groups: Member

Ok, how about:

-- Republic --
11 Jedi Guardian
27 Clone Trooper x3
12 Saleucami Trooper

Or, it could have a Wookiee Berserker instead of the Saleucami Trooper. Not really sure about balance either way, though. And I think that I'll include a CE in an Imperial/Rebel version. I'll make that momentarily.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, June 6, 2013 11:27:14 AM

I think our next SWM night, I want to play 8-12 50 pt games just to see which ones seem to be pretty balanced.
SignerJ
Posted: Thursday, June 6, 2013 11:32:55 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
I think our next SWM night, I want to play 8-12 50 pt games just to see which ones seem to be pretty balanced.

When would that be? If you can give me a date, I can have a decent number of 50-point squads built/designed by then.
If you can't tell, I really like building SWM squads. My favorite part of the game.
SignerJ
Posted: Thursday, June 6, 2013 11:44:52 AM

Ok, here are two more squads:

-- Imperial --
14 Stormtrooper Officer
16 Dark Side Adept
20 Stormtrooper x4

-- Rebels --
17 Hoth Trooper Officer
13 Rebel Officer
20 Rebel Trooper x4

How're these? These squads are CE heavy, and they have some abilities that can increase damage. I'd suggest using these after the Clone Wars-era squads. The main thing that I'm worried about is that the squads are unbalanced too far in favor of the Imperials.
poppins88
Posted: Thursday, June 6, 2013 11:44:53 AM

Here's my idea for a set of Level 0 squads:

Rebel
17 Luke Skywalker, Rebel
13 Rebel Officer
9 Ponda Baba
6 Kaminoan Ascetic
5 Rebel Trooper

Imperial
15 Dengar
14 Stormtrooper Officer
6 Duros Mercenary
5 Stormtrooper x2
4 Tusken Raider

Both squads were designed with limiting the amount of abilities and introducing important ones that are commonly seen throughout the game in mind.

Melee Attack was introduced on the Tusken Raider and Kaminoan Ascetic and I gave both squads a character with Bounty Hunter since there are many Hunter abilities in the game. Double seemed like another important ability to introduce, which I did introduce through the Stormie Officer and the Kaminoan Ascetic. Both have simple Commander Effects that apply only to two characters each.

The Rebel squad is a bit more complex because of Luke's Impulsive Shot (which could be a game-changer for the Rebels) and his Force Rating, as well as explaining Ponda's Rapport (which has no effect in this skirmish). I would recommend having the beginner player use the Imperial Squad first before trying the Rebel one. The Imperial one may be a bit more powerful, so that could also help the beginner out in their first game.

What do you guys think?
SignerJ
Posted: Thursday, June 6, 2013 12:21:47 PM

For the KotOR lover:

-- Old Republic --
18 Old Republic Commander
5 Old Republic Recruit
15 Old Republic Soldier x3
10 Youngling x2

-- Sith --
20 Sith Trooper Captain
13 Elite Sith Trooper
16 Sith Trooper x2

This one, I'm seriously worried that the Sith will be destroyed by the Old Republic. Otherwise, they're just basic shooter squads that don't have much special things. Each side will learn the consequences of one squad being able to out-activate the other, and the Old Republic has a new Force power: Lightsaber Deflect. The Old Republic player will also learn the quickly make the distinction between a good piece and a bad, thanks to the Old Republic Recruit.

And, poppins88, the squads look good. I'm a bit worried about the complexity of Impulsive Shot, but it should be fine. The question is if they are balanced -- they might be, they might not. We won't know until they are tested.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, June 6, 2013 9:18:13 PM

SignerJ wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:

When would that be? If you can give me a date, I can have a decent number of 50-point squads built/designed by then.
If you can't tell, I really like building SWM squads. My favorite part of the game.

Unfortunately not for a couple of weeks.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 10:12:09 AM

Who ran the Minis Madness at GenCon? They had 64 (or was it 32) 50-point squads. I would like to know the results of that to see which squads did well and seemed well-matched (and were simple).