RegisterDonateLogin

Attachment is forbidden. Possession is forbidden. Bloo Milk...is essential to a Jedi's life.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Death to GOWK (ie, the Felucian) :D (ok, not totally, but nice...) Options
kenred2
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2009 4:17:28 PM
Groups: Member

saeseetiin wrote:
kenred2 wrote:
saeseetiin wrote:
Can you use evade or soresu against missels,flamethrower,lighting,grip,push..ect

No.. because it's not an attack... "notice replaces attacks" to use Special Abilities

Are u sure?

Of course! It's obvious, read the abilities of the card.. both evade and Soresu style Mastery, it checks for "ATTACKS"... anything that replaces attacks are not considered attack.
saeseetiin
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2009 4:21:33 PM

Thanks but then why do people say GOWK is broken.
kenred2
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2009 4:29:52 PM

saeseetiin wrote:
Thanks but then why do people say GOWK is broken.

lol! Lots of reasons:

-Mettle and Master of the Force 2.... allowing result's of the roll to increase to your favor. Whether re-roll to make a save, increases the durability of the figure. When someone uses missiles, grenades that require GOWK to make a save, with MOTF2 allows its chances to re-roll 2 times with Mettle, allowing Missile/Grenades not to be able to hit him. But anything that can deal direct damage to GOWK that doesn't require a save, allows to go around it's durability

-Because GOWK basically prevents any attack (a lightsaber defense basically that doesn't require you a fp), it makes an effective interference.... for example, it makes a good setup to put GOWK in position to an enemy character, then Panaka/Mas to swap him for Kota to blow up the field.

-CE is incredible, rangeless.... only requires allies within 6 squares of each other.

There are many reasons to list... but just picked out the specifics why it is still good
saeseetiin
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2009 4:36:17 PM

But with force push you can wax him add in reiken and YOD.
Tirade
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2009 4:40:16 PM

saeseetiin wrote:

Hopefully you don't run into a Vong squad. Your Force Push will be useless against them.

But yes, Force Push is good against GOWK. It's the other matchups that worry people.
Zedd
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2009 4:46:20 PM

If you aren't packing auto-damage, basically the only way for you to win is with 55 points of Gambit, or by some miracle get more points than them when they call time.
saeseetiin
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2009 5:00:37 PM

Tirade wrote:
saeseetiin wrote:

Hopefully you don't run into a Vong squad. Your Force Push will be useless against them.

But yes, Force Push is good against GOWK. It's the other matchups that worry people.

Vong would be bad and for people who play and hide there team and hope for the time to run out are not skilled and are ruining the fun of the game.
sharron
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2009 10:04:32 PM

correct me if im mistaken, but i thought jedi battlemaster was old republic... so how would you run him with GMLS??
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 12:25:58 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

sharron wrote:
correct me if im mistaken, but i thought jedi battlemaster was old republic... so how would you run him with GMLS??

Only in a Light Side squad, but normally you can't.
Sithborg
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 12:40:05 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

kenred2 wrote:
Of course! It's obvious, read the abilities of the card.. both evade and Soresu style Mastery, it checks for "ATTACKS"... anything that replaces attacks are not considered attack.

Incorrect, as a few of these replace attacks SA's actually produce attacks. Please see the defination of an attack to see what Soresu guards against.
Opan Windu
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 1:04:14 AM

If you roll a d20 and add your attack number its an attack if not its not an attack.
billiv15
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 1:12:35 AM

Tirade wrote:

I still worry about it against GOWK. I don't even give push squads a 50% chance to win. Much less actually. They need a bit of luck with init, or the game tends to go Obi's way.
Tirade
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 1:14:18 AM

billiv15 wrote:
Tirade wrote:

I still worry about it against GOWK. I don't even give push squads a 50% chance to win. Much less actually. They need a bit of luck with init, or the game tends to go Obi's way.

Oh, I totally agree. It's not like it's a guarantee. Same thing with Lord Vader B&B. Based on what I've seen, it's about 50/50.

And if those are the only "viable" alternatives, that's not good. Those won't really discourage a player from running GOWK.
ArtemisCFrog43
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 1:58:08 AM

Sithborg wrote:
kenred2 wrote:

Incorrect, as a few of these replace attacks SA's actually produce attacks. Please see the defination of an attack to see what Soresu guards against.

Glossary Text:

An attack is rolling a d20, adding the character's Attack number (including modifiers), comparing to the target's Defense, and dealing damage equal to the attacker's Damage number (including modifiers). If an offensive ability isn't resolved that way, it doesn't count as an attack.

I don't know of any SAs that produce attacks. They effect attacks and how many of them you get, who can be attacked and what not, but nothing that "replaces attacks" that produces attacks. Anyone know any that do that?
maverick
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 2:33:16 AM

my guess is that these are gonna sell like mouse droids.
Cybit
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 3:12:46 AM

billiv15 wrote:
Tirade wrote:

I think this is really dependent on map. Some maps (like Crystal Caves) seem to be absolutely brutal for GOWK vs a Push squad (LoS heaven). Also, I guess I have trouble seeing how GOWK closes with a push squad easily? (I think of Luke HPU/Obi Unleashed/Han of some kind when I think of push squad)

JA is going to be really interesting. It seems like nearly every faction is going to be getting significant auto damage. Think GOWK was changed with this set in mind?

Sithborg
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 3:22:27 AM

ArtemisCFrog43 wrote:
I don't know of any SAs that produce attacks. They effect attacks and how many of them you get, who can be attacked and what not, but nothing that "replaces attacks" that produces attacks. Anyone know any that do that?

Lightsaber Assault, Blaster Barrage, Lightsaber Sweep, Lightsaber Throw, Blaster 20, Probscubis, etc...
kenred2
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 3:34:17 AM

Sithborg wrote:
kenred2 wrote:

An honest slip up that's all.... anything that produces and "attack" from a replace attack can be used with Soresu. Don't worry I know, you don't need to tell me. If I miss something, just improve on it. Because the majority of "replace attacks" are usually not given attacks, but abilities that deal direct damage or require you a save
StriderRe80
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 3:38:37 AM

If anything is going to give GOWK a run it will be the new Disciple Of Ragnos.
Sithborg
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 3:43:39 AM

kenred2 wrote:
An honest slip up that's all.... anything that produces and "attack" from a replace attack can be used with Soresu. Don't worry I know, you don't need to tell me. If I miss something, just improve on it. Because the majority of "replace attacks" are usually not given attacks, but abilities that deal direct damage or require you a save

It's a mistake that can lead to some pretty major confusion. Direct Damage is a much better way to phrase it.