RegisterDonateLogin

Will not condone a course of action that will lead it's people to war.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

2014 Chicago Regional - June 7th Options
DarthMaim
Posted: Saturday, June 7, 2014 10:43:19 PM
Groups: Member

The top 4 all had some way to deal with Force users- Force Immunity and Ysalamiri *. Me thinks the Jeedi are in deep doodu.......................................

*Note to designers; We need more Vongsense and a counter to Ysalamiri, such as Ysalamirisense :)

Great job top 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
General_Grievous
Posted: Saturday, June 7, 2014 11:42:45 PM

Cool to see the Vong do so well! Nice write up. We actually had a for fun game recently where I held off two entire squads with just a swarm of those blast bugging cloaked scouts. They are fierce
DARPH NADER
Posted: Sunday, June 8, 2014 1:59:25 AM

Grats and well done Jake on the B2B victory, I really like the PBS' a lot in both of those builds. BlooMilk

A special grats goes to Lily_Wan, knew you could do it! ThumpUp
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, June 8, 2014 6:42:25 AM

DarthMaim wrote:
The top 4 all had some way to deal with Force users- Force Immunity and Ysalamiri *. Me thinks the Jeedi are in deep doodu.......................................

*Note to designers; We need more Vongsense and a counter to Ysalamiri, such as Ysalamirisense :)

Great job top 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, it was a tough day to run OR
AceAce
Posted: Sunday, June 8, 2014 8:02:59 AM

Alright, here it is.

Went with Darth Dracul and ATMSalad yesterday to this event in a mega-shop. Played Tarpals, Boss Nass, Panaka, 7xGungan Art. (2 free from reinforcements,) Veteran Ugnaught, R2Astro, 4xRodian, Momaw, Amidala (for -1 cost and mobile,) Clone w/flamethrower (should have had 2,)

Alright, here it is.
Went with Darth Dracul and ATMSalad yesterday to this event in a mega-shop. Played Tarpals, Boss Nass, Panaka, 7xGungan Art. (2 free from reinforcements,) Veteran Ugnaught, R2Astro, 4xRodian, Momaw, Amidala (for -1 cost and mobile,) and a Clone w/flamethrower (should have had 2.) Played on Ruined Base which worked like I wanted and actually played it 3 out of 4 games. All games were very close which is encouraging but this squad is a bit dicey and if someone is rolling hot not as good as I'd like.

Game 1: Travelled with Etienne and played him in the first game. He was using a lot of Cloaked with Kelborn, Pre Vizsla, Maul DWO, etc. My map and he sets up on open left. My move this game and in all games on ruined base was to set up R2 next to Vet. Ugnaught and blow 2 doors on 2nd move and tow him out of harm's way. Usually got the 2 middle doors which opens the whole map. Was funny to see people react to the doors suddenly out of the way and it was really nice not to have to deal with override-heavy teams all day as I really hate that game. He cloaks Maul and seeks to get all his people in the cracked wall at the bottom. He has Maul in eyesight but cloaked on his replaces turn move. I wait to outactivate him and send the Bombad General Gungan to spot him which lets at least 3 Gungans throw on him. He only takes 40 damage but this scares him and next round he runs in the room. Cat and mouse the rest of the way, blown doors, Cesta Saves, he takes out some Gungans and I kill Kelborn, Pre Vizsla and he gets just enough to win like 125-106. Great, 0-1.

Game 2: Against Tim and his cloaked Klats and Bastila...love the cloaked! Again, my map and he sets up on open left as Etienne had done. He has them lined up seemingly safe as his cloaked are in cover and his Lobot and door openers and a zillion mice on the bottom portion. I tow the Vet toward the center and upper portion of my right side and position R2 safely in cover with the Vet looking at the center doors. I blow the one on my side and then blow the inner door bottom which opens a loooong line thru the broken wall. He doesn't see it. I run a Rodian up near R2 and in cover and make a non-important move to distract what was coming. He moves and I swap in a Gungan in the Rodian's place and move out and fire more than 1/2 the map and target an R7 which makes everyone around him have to save roll twice. He saves on an R7 and a mouse and fails on Lobot netting me an easy 27 and a free R7 which limits his door control (which in our game didn't matter,) and he loses maybe 2 mice. From then on it is positioning as usual and I lose R2 but not until I blow all the doors I want. We dance around with Cloaked, Stealth, and mobile and he misses too many times on my Momaw who I have positioned in a group of his troops and is based by a Klat. Finally he runs out of ABM and I get back double Cesta. Momaw lives again after his bad attack rolls and gets off double War Throat and kills a Klat who explodes and kills Momaw but also another Klat as well. I get a Rodian in the blast and I am up. He can't get enough to win and I win by like 20-30. 1-1 with 2 points.

Game 3: Against Laura and her Talon/Embo/Dash. I know how she plays it with free move start of round with Embo and a long run after. I again blow 2 doors in middle 2nd move and fire away on Evazan and his party. Luckily he survives a couple Cestas and the sets the tone for the rest of the game. She moves into bottom right room with 1/2 group and top half with others. Embo makes a long run after 1st of round free move and bases and kills Panaka at top hallway left side. He then starts getting Cesta'd aplenty with all Gungans who can see or more and see him. When any get thru he takes only 10 (nice) but she makes a pile of saves (and I mean a pile.) She advances I lay in Gambit with Momaw inside lift. Round 3 she funs again all way from top to bottom of right side with free move and actual move and kills Tarpals who has run to hide. Again, she starts making saves against Cestas for Embo. Again she survives piles of them and the round. Next round she runs back to the top and tracks down Amidala who is near Boss. Kills her and then...you guessed it...makes a lot more Cesta saves. We fight with some in center of the map and I kill Dash and not sure what else and hurt Talon with double War Throat's. Next round she tracks down a hurt but not dead Boss and kills him with Embo. more Cesta Saves of course and a pretty big lead. Final round it comes down to her 20 HP Talon and a 10 HP Embo. I kill Embo with my last single Cesta by my last attacker near him which puts me down less than 30. Last Cesta goes at Talon which Laura saves on and wins her a close game. A miss and I win. What a game and unreal Cesta saves by Laura (I'd bronze the dice!) 1-2 with 2 points.

Game 4: Finish against Peter and his Daala Scout Troopers and Elite Scouts. He has Ozzel but I do not fret. Positioning of course as Stealth and mobile/swap/tow will do. We trade slowly in the game as neither can let the other get a good look at a charge or tow swap. He wins one more round of gambit on the day which nets him a win. I do save 3 Gungans on rolls which costs him like 18 points as one was free. The game comes down to Peter having a single Scout left (I killed 3 Elites and his Raxis’ on the day.) Highlight was a cool tow by R2 and run and double War Throat by Momaw (Peter forgot the double 10 dmg. and lost his Raxis’ and get his Elites hurt by it.) It comes down where I am down 8 points in the last round at the end and he has run his Scout into cover. I run a Gungan and swap in another Gungan in the spot. I have Amidala and Panaka in cover and going to get gambit. I run around corner and Cesta twice needing one to hit for 8 points and a victory. He makes 2-16’s on his saves and it is game. He wins 91-88. Thanks for the great game Peter. A brilliant 1-3 with 2 points.

Reflections. Enjoyed the regional store…wish I’d taken a lot of money. Glad to them for running it and for everyone who came. Tim, nice job hosting. Good to meet Lily – customizer extraordinaire – who played as well as she customizes. I know the squad can hang but 3 point wins in a meta that sadly is stuck at 18+ activations by most squads seems unlikely. Wish I had had dropped a Gungan for another Flamethrower for direct damage however. Will tweak it and especially the more formidable Seps squad I ran in Kokomo.
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, June 8, 2014 9:16:50 AM

Thanks to everyone for coming out - especially the IN crew (Mike G, Bryan and Etienne) for making the trip!

We unfortunately had many not able to make it that were planing on it and had to bow out in the last week or two - many due to work issues (dang you real life, stop interfering with minis!)

Completely understand, but we could have had around 16 otherwise. Might have even had to go 5 rounds if everyone that was planning on it originally were able to come (although we all know that's unrealistic).

I think everyone had a good time, and that's the most important!
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, June 8, 2014 12:26:24 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

AceAce wrote:

Game 3: Against Laura and her Talon/Embo/Dash. I know how she plays it with free move start of round with Embo and a long run after. I again blow 2 doors in middle 2nd move and fire away on Evazan and his party. Luckily he survives a couple Cestas and the sets the tone for the rest of the game. She moves into bottom right room with 1/2 group and top half with others. Embo makes a long run after 1st of round free move and bases and kills Panaka at top hallway left side. He then starts getting Cesta'd aplenty with all Gungans who can see or more and see him. When any get thru he takes only 10 (nice) but she makes a pile of saves (and I mean a pile.) She advances I lay in Gambit with Momaw inside lift. Round 3 she funs again all way from top to bottom of right side with free move and actual move and kills Tarpals who has run to hide. Again, she starts making saves against Cestas for Embo. Again she survives piles of them and the round. Next round she runs back to the top and tracks down Amidala who is near Boss. Kills her and then...you guessed it...makes a lot more Cesta saves. We fight with some in center of the map and I kill Dash and not sure what else and hurt Talon with double War Throat's. Next round she tracks down a hurt but not dead Boss and kills him with Embo. more Cesta Saves of course and a pretty big lead. Final round it comes down to her 20 HP Talon and a 10 HP Embo. I kill Embo with my last single Cesta by my last attacker near him which puts me down less than 30. Last Cesta goes at Talon which Laura saves on and wins her a close game. A miss and I win. What a game and unreal Cesta saves by Laura (I'd bronze the dice!) 1-2 with 2 points.

Did I miss something there? How did the double War Throat work with Tarpals dead?
DARPH NADER
Posted: Sunday, June 8, 2014 12:45:53 PM

Indeed. It does read like a rut row Raggy occured, which could have effected top 4 seeding.

Also how many players were on hand?
UrbanShmi
Posted: Sunday, June 8, 2014 12:53:23 PM

10 players total.

I'm not sure on the timing with Momaw and Tarpals dying. If we made an oops, I doubt it would have made much difference. I was not likely getting a three-point win out of it, and even if I had, I was second after swiss, and would only have had 8 points to Jason's 11 (a LOT of 2-point games at this event).

Mike's right, my saves that game were pretty crazy. A lot of credit to him for sticking in there even after I'd basically dismantled his tech in the first 3-4 rounds. Gungans are no joke.
AceAce
Posted: Sunday, June 8, 2014 12:56:25 PM

Indeed, may have mixed up the double war throat with game prior with Tim. It would not have affected it even if it were in it and it likely wasn't. I would not have won unless Talon died hands down and he had only one save roll which he made.
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, June 8, 2014 5:20:42 PM

rankings 6-10

(2-2, 5pts)- Tim B - Bastila Shan JM, Lobot, Gha Gnackt, 6 Klat Assassins, Rodian Assassin, Jawa Scavenger, uggie, 7 mice.

(Don't remember the exact order of the others, all 1-3 records)

Bryan H - Daala, Pellaeon, Piett, Snow Commander, Snow officer, security officer, Czerka, 1 raxus prime, R7, 2 uggies, 11 snowtroopers

Mike G - Captain Panaka, Boss Nass, Queen Amidala, tarpals, clone with flame thrower, Mowmaw, vet uggie, R2 doombot, 5 Gungan artillerists, 4 rodian brutes

Peter M - Daala, Major General Veers, Piett, 4 scout troopers, 3 elite scout troopers, Mas, 2 raxus, Pellaeon, 2 R7s, ozzel

Mike S - Darth Bane Sith'ari, Revan SL, Jaq, Wyyrlok, 3 sith recruits, 2 uggies
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, June 8, 2014 7:28:08 PM

So Daala went 5-9? So underpowered now.

I think Jason K may be broken. Seems like every squad with Jason K ends up in the Final 4. Might want to find a counter for that.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, June 8, 2014 7:33:51 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
I think Jason K may be broken. Seems like every squad with Jason K ends up in the Final 4. Might want to find a counter for that.

By inference, I think that means that Laura K is a broken squad builder?
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, June 9, 2014 12:58:52 AM

Laura has made two top fours herself this year - she's a threatening player as well.

Jason has placed 2nd 3 times this year.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, June 9, 2014 1:00:39 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:

I know you're kidding here - but it does prove that Daala is beatable. People are bringing squads that can beat her now.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Monday, June 9, 2014 4:14:12 AM

TheHutts wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:

By inference, I think that means that Laura K is a broken squad builder?

Actually, the only squad of mine J's played this year was SCRuPLs in Michigan (last place). I've had input into a few of the others, but they're all his inspiration.
Sthlrd2
Posted: Monday, June 9, 2014 2:44:52 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:

I know you're kidding here - but it does prove that Daala is beatable. People are bringing squads that can beat her now.

I hope your not forgetting that Daala also finished 3rd. And if I remember correctly Lilly almost beat Jason in the Semis with her 3rd place Daala squad.
scruffyhan
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2014 9:19:00 AM

Daala is beatable of course. We could put that squad in the hands of an inexperienced player and of course it's beatable. That has never been the argument. I mean we could sit here and say the same thing about any squad. Rebel Commandos, Solo Charge, Skybuck, Cad & Imps. Daala in the hands of a skilled player is where the argument lies. I would be more interested in seeing how you placed at a regional running Daala Tim/Jason K. Would love to see the scores of those games, and how long it took you guys to win.

Just because top players are not running Daala and she is being beat does not mean an issue with the squad/piece does not still exist.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2014 11:27:13 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:

Yes, I was kidding.
urbanjedi
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2014 8:29:35 PM

Here is my 2nd place report.

Ran Vong Bugs
Quorreal
DeGara
8x Pretorite Vong Scouts
3x Peace brigade soldiers
Warrior caste subcommander
2x ugos

40 pts of reinforcememtns

rd 1 vs Bryan with Daala (using Lou's MI regional winning squad)
I brought in more scouts (some with aggressive negotiations) and it was on. He swapped out for Ozzel and I had a single zenoma with agg negotiations that I always kept in LOS so I could keep up. The cloaked made it really hard for him and I thought I was in trouble when he rolled the dreaded 6 and brought in 40 pts of guys, but the nearly unkillable aggressive negotiation guys won the day. 1-0 3pts

Rd 2 vs Mike (local from Chi with BAne and Revan)
Bane went down rd 1 to direct damage. Revan went down round 2 and it was a handshake after that. 2-0 6pts

Rd 3 vs Jake K and his vong nom bombs.
Superstealth vs cloaked is just a frustrating chess match all the way around. I ended up killing his quoreal and won a tight one. 3-0 8 pts

Rd 4 vs lily and Daala
of course she rolls 6 for init on round 2, and she is able to kill a couple of the guys with aggressive negotiations. However the Peace Brigade Soldiers are too much and the fact it takes so much energy to try and kill one of my cloaked guys. 4-0 11 pts

Semifinals vs Lily again.
This time she brings in Holoveers with Palleaon. We play on my map (tomb of the acolytes) for the first time all day. Very tough match as she can't really advance and has to be careful with placement with holoveers, but I cant really advance too much either as holoveers gets around my biggest advantage. She rolls reserves again but too late to help. I win a pretty close game, I think it was like 120 - 80some and the fact that I hold gambit from turn 1 with the advanced positioning is huge all day long.

Finals vs JAke K again.
Another Chess match and I lose this one in round 2 or 3 when I move a guy out of gambit to do something and don't replace him. That ends up costing me as I lose by 1 pt for the third time this season.

Congrats Jake