RegisterDonateLogin

The possibility of successfully navigating this site is approximately 3,720 to one.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Core Worlds Open (Tournament) Options
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, March 3, 2014 8:48:49 PM
Groups: Member

I really wanted to try out some vset 7 pieces, so I built squads featuring vset 7 and did not use any vset 6 pieces.

Many were not optimal builds. But I was having fun.

I ran:

--Core Worlds Open Sith Squad--
63 Darth Bane, Sith'ari
62 Darth Revan, Sith Lord
36 Atton "Jaq" Rand
27 Lobot
8 Sith Recruit x2
3 Mouse Droid

(199pts. 7 activations)

This was a "dumb" squad. All brawn, no brains. It's got a lot of power, but certainly not top tier. It handled Trev's Low activation republic squad, but it was a bad matchup for him. I basically ran Bane in to kill R2 and hit a couple others with a lightning, then took a few shots back. Then pulled back, then went back in for some more lightning action. Bodyguard didn't help when you lightning. I still had Atton with 20 left, Revan untouched and 1/2 HP bane when time was called (in addition to most of my fodder). I would have cleaned up his last offensive pieces at the end of the round, and had to go dig out Mas and Panaka. 2 point win for me.

Next was Tim (deathweilded) and his OR squad.

--Core Worlds Open Rebel Squad--
39 Commander Luke Skywalker
28 General Lando Calrissian
27 Han Solo, Smuggler
27 Lobot
20 Princess Leia
14 General Rieekan
9 General Dodonna
8 Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Spirit
25 Tantive IV Trooper x5
3 Mouse Droid

(200pts. 14 activations)

Ugh. Top tier OR vs a haphhazardly thrown together rebel squad without Luke Rebel Commando. Not a good matchup.

His write up sums it up well. The one part I disagree with is that the last init determined winner. If I had won I would have had a chance, but losing it I had none. He played much better than me, minus letting me snipe his diplomat. Had I been playing cagy, I would have used my activation advantage and override advantage after killing a key piece of his to ride out ABM and probably win, but I decided to press the action. Lol - low and behold, OR with ABM activated wins in a straight up fight. Despite what Han says, he's much better sneaking around. It didn't help that Tim made (literally) every evade save - but that's not to take anything away from him. He played it right, and took what I gave him. He deserved the win. 1-1 2pts

I had the bye next. 2-1 5pts

So - then for round 4 we had a weird 4-way tie at 2-1 with 5 points (due to 3 of us having byes). We made the 2 pairings of the top 4 that worked so everyone played someone they hadn't played yet.

I got Bronson with my Imps vs his Seps

--Core Worlds Open Imp Squad--
32 Thrawn (Mitth'raw'nuruodo)
28 Daric LaRone
27 Lobot
27 Taxtro Grave
22 Imperial Governor Tarkin
18 Davin Felth
16 Admiral Gilad Pellaeon
11 Admiral Ozzel
8 Mas Amedda
8 R7 Astromech Droid
3 Mouse Droid

(200pts. 11 activations)

Really, this is a Daric LaRone Cannon. I played vs Boba BH, Cad Bane BH, 2 spotter droids, Lobot, Poggle and like 6 bombs. I outactivated heavily thanks to ozzel, and that was the difference. I brought an Amanin Scout, Rodian and a Gran. I was able to get over 1/2 way across the board at the end of round 1 to target and kill Lobot - Thanks to Look, Sir, Droids! (Against Droid enemies, this character and adjacent allies may ignore cover when targeting and bonuses to Defense when determining if an attack hits), and Droid hunter +20. He's kind of a sleeper piece. He is death to R2 or Lobot - not a small thing. Totally worth the trade if it happend, but luckily he lived for awhile. With opportunist, he can also take out a spotter droid in 1 shot. I never got to use the protective, but Larone is still pretty decent, with double twin and opportunist for +15 for 30x4. He got in position to kill Boba BH, but missed 2/4 (only needing a 5!) I could have risked init to kill him and make the trade Boba BH for LaRone, but I played it safe. Bronson did bring in Figrin Dan and A Twilek, so it made it quite annoying. It was really slow going, but basically a forgone conclusion when I out-activated, had double override, and had Thrawn. I whiddled him down and then finally made a press forward. He missed the saves he needed to when using allies as hostage shields to keep him alive just long enough to really make it annoying. I then missed BOTH attacks with Taxtro Grave to kill Cad, and then he was able to kill both Taxtro and Davin. I would have then played really slow and careful to win with LaRone, but the I got reserves right before time ran out, and I used a disciple of Ragnos to zap his bodyguard and kill Cad, which would have been followed by Boba's death and his last spotter droid - had we played one more round, but there was no need. Time was up and I was ahead.

I had fun, played some stuff I hadn't before (and probably never will again). It's been so long since I've played Vassal (literally like 3 years), so I was basically learning it all over again. We couldn't get skype to work, so it made games significantly longer. Vassal is really the only available substitute when you can't play in person, but it really pales in comparison. It just feels, I dunno . . . empty, somehow. I guess I'd play again on Vassal, since it seems more and more difficult to game in person - but it just makes me appreciate live gaming more.
Deathwielded
Posted: Tuesday, March 4, 2014 2:49:25 PM

TheHutts wrote:
Deathwielded wrote:
My first Mini's tournament and first time using Vassel online, I had a blast and would definitely do it again. Though I wish I would got to use some of my better squads...

What else did you have up your sleeve? I feel proud for having contributed to your winning squad (although I just pointed you in the direction of an established and popular squad)! It does sound like a fun format to push people out of their comfort zones.

Funny thing is Carth never even took a shot were Mira would been able to at lest shoot. RollEyes
But really I needed more acts and even more than what I ended up with. The Klat's CE is the reason I won at all, so thanks for pushing me to include him, without him I wouldn't have done nearly as well. (do to him giving Atton that Evade and Speed 8)
Deathwielded
Posted: Tuesday, March 4, 2014 2:50:00 PM

TheHutts wrote:
Deathwielded wrote:
My first Mini's tournament and first time using Vassel online, I had a blast and would definitely do it again. Though I wish I would got to use some of my better squads...

What else did you have up your sleeve? I feel proud for having contributed to your winning squad (although I just pointed you in the direction of an established and popular squad)! It does sound like a fun format to push people out of their comfort zones.

Funny thing is Carth never even took a shot! Were Mira would been able to at least shoot. RollEyes
But really I needed more acts and even more than what I ended up with. The Klat's CE is the reason I won at all, so thanks for pushing me to include him, without him I wouldn't have done nearly as well. (do to him giving Atton that Evade and Speed 8)
So thanks for the advice!
Deathwielded
Posted: Tuesday, March 4, 2014 2:57:31 PM

The Three squads I really wanted to play AND thought would do well were:
Not quite Rogue Squadron but... which personally I think is my best squad. Funny how strong the rebels were in this last tournament.
Peace Brigade that is anything but peaceful Which I think could have done decent. (atleast it wouldn't have had an autotomatic disadvantage with acts)
and Talons GMA
My other squads were mostly just for fun and probably would've suffered from the same problems my other squads had.
I can still post them if anyone is interested.
theultrastar
Posted: Wednesday, March 5, 2014 6:05:12 AM

ScruffyHan and TimmerB have agreed to play each other, seeing as how they finished 1 and 2 and did not play each other in the actual tournament.
ScruffyHan will be running his Sith squad, and Tim will be running his Core Worlds Open Republic squad.

Good luck gents!
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, March 5, 2014 9:53:25 AM

theultrastar wrote:
ScruffyHan and TimmerB have agreed to play each other, seeing as how they finished 1 and 2 and did not play each other in the actual tournament.
ScruffyHan will be running his Sith squad, and Tim will be running his Core Worlds Open Republic squad.

Good luck gents!

Oh no! That's my worst squad, lol. Oh well - should be fun anyway.
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, March 5, 2014 9:54:03 AM

theultrastar wrote:

Good luck gents!

Oh no! That's my worst squad, lol. Oh well - should be fun anyway.
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, March 6, 2014 8:14:18 AM

Monday at noon (central) on Vassal it's going down.
theultrastar
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2014 10:35:38 AM

Core Worlds Open Championship is in the books, Scruffy Han defeated Tim B.

Congrats to Scruffy

Tim B ran his Core Worlds Open Republic Squad which featured:

Null ARC Trooper Captain Ordo
Captain Rex
Commander Fox
ARC Trooper sniper x2
Coruscant Guard Clone Trooper x2
ARC Trooper Scout
R2 Astromech Droid
Mas Amedda
Spaarti Clone Trooper

(11 acts)

ScruffyHan ran his Into Oblivion Sith Squad which featured:

Darth Revan, Sith Lord
Lord Kaan
Shae Vizla
Sith Lord
Dr Evazan
R7 x2
Mouse Droid x3
Uggie x2

(12 acts)

Tim won map and his map was Rhen Var, the Ice Citadel.

Once again congrats to Scruffy, and to Tim on a well played Tournament! Thank you for participating!
scruffyhan
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2014 2:01:56 PM

Tim thanks for the match. I am glad we got to play.

I honestly cannot believe I won. Tim won map, had every single roll go his way. I do not think he missed a single attack. Tim was able to blow Kaan up on me, and really hurt my squad. Took down the Sith Lord and Shae early with Rex and Fox. I rallied in the end and somehow managed to coordinate an attack pattern using my 3 mice, 2 uggies, 2 R7's and Evazan that was nearly invincible. Evazan killed a lot of men today. Lets just leave it at that.

Great game, great tournament, great experience. I hope we do this more, and I hope we have more join in next time. Tim cannot wait for our next game.

Long live Dr. E
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2014 11:55:49 AM

scruffyhan wrote:
Tim thanks for the match. I am glad we got to play.

I honestly cannot believe I won. Tim won map, had every single roll go his way. I do not think he missed a single attack. Tim was able to blow Kaan up on me, and really hurt my squad. Took down the Sith Lord and Shae early with Rex and Fox. I rallied in the end and somehow managed to coordinate an attack pattern using my 3 mice, 2 uggies, 2 R7's and Evazan that was nearly invincible. Evazan killed a lot of men today. Lets just leave it at that.

Great game, great tournament, great experience. I hope we do this more, and I hope we have more join in next time. Tim cannot wait for our next game.

Long live Dr. E

This is the most hilariously inaccurate play report I've ever read. Our squads were so mismatched, my grandmother could have beat my crap ass squad, much less ScruffyHan's well built Sith squad. He ran it brilliantly, and my inept attempts at, well, anything - failed. It was the most one sided beat-down I've had in years. Credit due to his great squad and excellent play.

His description does sound like a much more fun game then what happened. I don't think I killed anything but a couple mice!
Darth O
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2014 12:28:33 PM

UltraStar and I played that final matchup sometime within the last couple of weeks. His Sith beat my Republic by a Revan and a Sith Lord. The only difference with my squad is that I had Foul Moudama instead of the ARC scout, Mas, and the Spaarti. Foul made it possible to spread out my squad more against Kaan, as well as move Rex to kill Evazan.
theultrastar
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2014 1:08:09 PM

Yeah that was an interesting match Darth O, very close from what I can recall. It's been a while back so I'm a little hazy on final score or anything like that.