RegisterDonateLogin

Would never consciously betray the Rebellion.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Poll Question : like or not
Choice Votes Statistics
yes 47 72.307692 %
no 18 27.692307 %

vong Options
ironmen2
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 12:55:45 AM
Groups: Member

Who likes VONGThumpUp ThumbsUp
swmimperial130
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 12:58:05 AM

Low on cost, high on damage, hp, etc.
sharron
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 1:49:49 AM

i LOVE vong. they just tear apart anything close to them. good fun!!!
ecs05norway
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 1:57:11 AM

Ahh, the Yuuzhan Wrong.
ken_watson76
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 2:27:01 AM

When I first began to play competitively, my first tournament squad was Vong:

--Brute Vong Squad--
63 Warmaster Tsavong Lah
21 Yuuzhan Vong Shaper
20 Yuuzhan Vong Jedi Hunter
19 Yomin Carr
11 Advance Agent, Officer
16 Yuuzhan Vong Warrior x2
(150pts. 7 activations)

That was about a year ago (won my first two games, then lost the next two). It's a shame that, until now, they haven't done anything with them, and also a shame that they didn't release any Uniques in JA.

Regardless, they are fun to play, generally unanticipated by your opponents (at least for now), and when used in the right combination, can kick some teeth in.
DeliahBlue
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 2:32:35 AM

I use to think I would NEVER play them since they represented the dark side in the NR times. Well, now that they've been such an underdog in SWM, I've played them a couple times and since collected most of the minis for them. They definitely add another element to the game with Force Immunity.
(this was posted by Imyurhukaberry...since I can't seem to logout of my wife's account!)
IG-108
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 2:39:22 AM

I've never used them. Not because I don't want to, but I don't think I'd be very good with them. They're okay, but their melee-only attacks (except for the range 6 stuff they get) seem like a bit of a weakness. But once they get up close, they can do real damage.
mrtyler7
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 3:21:46 AM

I'll always remember when I was playing the Vong against an Imperial squad with Lord Vader. Vader was already damaged, and then I critically hit him with a jedi hunter with a Shaper and an Advance Agent nearby. As we started adding up the damage, we suddenly realized that the hunter killed Lord Vader in one hit. A classic minis moment!
awesome
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 4:28:58 AM

I used to play them, but now they arent very playable because pretty much every faction beats them, I played mando squad last week, it was Mandalore the indomitable, captain, basilisk war droid, 2X scouts, 4 uggie, mouse droid, and some other thing,

I strafed and twined all of there leaders and jedi hunters, at a 14 attack for 80 damage it was over very quickly, when playing the vong you tend to rely on thud bug and all that crap the jedi hunters are god but die easy
billiv15
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 5:38:38 AM

awesome wrote:
I used to play them, but now they arent very playable because pretty much every faction beats them, I played mando squad last week, it was Mandalore the indomitable, captain, basilisk war droid, 2X scouts, 4 uggie, mouse droid, and some other thing,

I strafed and twined all of there leaders and jedi hunters, at a 14 attack for 80 damage it was over very quickly, when playing the vong you tend to rely on thud bug and all that crap the jedi hunters are god but die easy

Wish I played against such terrible players. Vong are quite good when played well. That's the trick though, they have to be played well. For example in your game, all they had to do was prevent you from strafing with a huge figure (make no landing space for it). They also should have been using a map like Train station that makes it quite difficult for you to pull off.

At 200pts (which obviously you were playing), I use Nom, czerka and a TBSV and I shoot first. I get the lead, and force you to come to me. Good luck with that. I would have beaten your squad easily.
Squid89
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 6:02:03 AM

I never liked the Vong in the novels how they always seemed to bring in some new technology life form out of nowhere. Shouldn't it take time to grow if it is living?

But in the minis game, I like the aspect they bring against Force users. I like my Jedi, but the Vong adds an element of balance in theory. As they continue to get more solid pieces and Force powers become better, I expect them to see a lot more play. Right now, they are tough to run well although it can be done.
DarthJak
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 6:37:06 AM

they're great in a squad vs force usersBigGrin but against a shooting squad they can't hold up with out fringe shootersSad
awesome
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 8:52:22 AM

billiv15 wrote:
awesome wrote:

Wish I played against such terrible players. Vong are quite good when played well. That's the trick though, they have to be played well. For example in your game, all they had to do was prevent you from strafing with a huge figure (make no landing space for it). They also should have been using a map like Train station that makes it quite difficult for you to pull off.

At 200pts (which obviously you were playing), I use Nom, czerka and a TBSV and I shoot first. I get the lead, and force you to come to me. Good luck with that. I would have beaten your squad easily.

Actually, once U enter the space for the strafe than I attack so there wil be empty spaces for me and nom isnt hard to get to esecially with speed 10, he did play it well but when I got within range of his only good fighters and commanders he was doomed
afairy13
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 9:39:12 AM

Vong are my personal favorite faction because of force immunity. So many times has the awsome might of force wielding monsters been swiftly dealt with by the vongs hand. But just as many times have they been shot down while tring to reach the far off shooters.
mercenary_moose
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 9:49:19 AM

Vong, the monkey wrench of SWM. Throw 'em in to an intricately designed squad and watch the havoc you wreak.
awesome
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 9:51:55 AM

afairy13 wrote:
Vong are my personal favorite faction because of force immunity. So many times has the awsome might of force wielding monsters been swiftly dealt with by the vongs hand. But just as many times have they been shot down while tring to reach the far off shooters.

Yeah the shooters are a problem for the vong, but not every force power is canceled, lightsaber throw, rage, all sorts of stuff,

In my opinion if the vong dont get any better n the next few sets than they might become obsolete, the new ones arent that bad but they arnt going to win it for U, they need shooters not just Nom, and they need more new abilities if they are going to compete to the new meta.
billiv15
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 1:22:28 PM

awesome wrote:

Actually, once U enter the space for the strafe than I attack so there wil be empty spaces for me and nom isnt hard to get to esecially with speed 10, he did play it well but when I got within range of his only good fighters and commanders he was doomed

Ah, my mistake, it wasn't because of a bad player, it's because you guys don't know the rules.

You might want to check out Strafe attack in the glossary and the FAQ. You must have a legal landing point declared before you can enter an opponent's space at all. And that cannot include a space where your opponent currently occupies.
dnemiller
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 2:17:16 PM

awesome wrote:

Yeah the shooters are a problem for the vong, but not every force power is canceled, lightsaber throw, rage, all sorts of stuff,

In my opinion if the vong dont get any better n the next few sets than they might become obsolete, the new ones arent that bad but they arnt going to win it for U, they need shooters not just Nom, and they need more new abilities if they are going to compete to the new meta.

I guess I am lost on this point. If JA is loaded with force users, how exactly are the Vong becoming obsolete. That just strengthens their position. They are getting three new pieces and one of them already has an excellent commander effect. I don't get the shooters part either. I remember when I played at your venue running Nom Bombs quite frequently and never losing with them. I would just add a fringe shooter to the squad. That seemed to work fine.

When you say all sorts of stuff..... like what? Since they are force immune. I am not saying you are wrong but you have stated this like there are tons of force powers out there for the choosing. I also would say that lightsaber throw against Jedi Hunters is almost like suicide. You probably will only get 10 damage and then you are within 6. With the new Vong with the wounded CE that would mean the JH could twin at +17 for 40 dmg on each hit. I dont think 10 dmg for 80 would be wise.

I just think anytime you get more vong pieces paired with a ton of force weilding pices in one set that would mean the Vong just got more powerful.
Sithborg
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 2:17:44 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Of course, there is that one in a million situation that Nickname says will tear apart the space time continuum with Strafe...

Any way, I actually like the Vong in the books, and enjoy playing them. They are a unique faction, and I like busting them out occaisonally.
vanlanning
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 6:11:22 PM

I liiiiike vong, too bad they got the worst of the game...