Daala (et al) errata - the final word Options
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 1:04:45 PM
Groups: Member

Mando wrote:
Deaths_Baine wrote:
Mando wrote:
Deaths_Baine wrote:
i agree that both the scouts and raxus take more skill to use, i just find it interesting that the only squad effected was the one that has done the worst. I agree that snowtroopers may be the biggest problem for rock squads and maybe thats why only they were addressed. I just think that more should have been done to daala, and based on the poll numbers more people wanted more done to her. In my opinion Daala squads are still the go to imperial squads, and that is sad to me. in a faction with vader/palpatine it is some worthless, crappy commander that rules supreme. but maybe she was the "flavor of the month" and no one will use her anymore in favor of new toys from set 8..... i'm looking at you neocrusaders Drool

Daala is by far not the "go to" Imperial squad. Thrawn squads have long held that title. Daala finally gave the imperials a different option than having Thrawn in every single competitive squad, so of course she is powerful, but no matter how much people complain about her, she is good for the faction and i think the errata changes are good. If you were to errata her even more, i think she'd be thrown in the bin and replaced with Thrawn again. Some people thought the designers didn't even care about what the community thought and even attacked some of the designers in forum posts. I think the fact that we have had Daala errata'd even more is proof the designers do listen to community input and have the best interests of the game in mind.

how many non-daala imerpial squads did you see last year?

Daala was popular cause she is new, it doesn't mean she is better than Thrawn squads. An imperial Black and Blue squad is still good today even tho it doesn't need any V-set pieces. People were playing Daala a lot to make a point, IMO, and we have gotten some changes made to her. I think its very premature to say she needs even more changes when you haven't even seen how effective the new updated errata is. Flyingarrow said that the changes to his Snowtrooper build would have cost him a game in Gencon vs Tint had this errata been in effect.

yeah they affected his squad only. i am concerned that the other squads were left alone is all. like i said, she is probaly the flavor of the month and people have probably had enough of her and won't run her anymore anyways.
thereisnotry
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 1:20:44 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Until GenCon I hardly ever hit it, and when it did hit it was too late to make any difference either way. At GenCon, I hit it against Weeks (and still lost). And hit it (just once, Jim) against thereisnotry, and there's a good chance that Reserves tipped the game in my favor. Kind of evened out his 5 or 6 SSM saves in a row early in the game Smile. But Reserves is not something that she needs.
With the changes, I definitely would have lost to thereisnotry at GenCon.
This is correct.

If I remember accurately, I think you had 5 or 6 troopers left before you hit reserves. I was thinking to myself how, if I could kill 3 of them the next turn (Mace was at 120hp, GOWK at 90hp, or something) I could actually pull out a win. But then you rolled Reserves and had 4 more shots coming at me that round, which is what swung the pendulum in the end. And yes, my SSM rolls were amazing near the beginning of the match...but I also missed a crucial kill shot near the beginning with a Klat. It was already a super-tight game, but Reserves won it for you.

TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 4:21:03 PM

thereisnotry wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:
Until GenCon I hardly ever hit it, and when it did hit it was too late to make any difference either way. At GenCon, I hit it against Weeks (and still lost). And hit it (just once, Jim) against thereisnotry, and there's a good chance that Reserves tipped the game in my favor. Kind of evened out his 5 or 6 SSM saves in a row early in the game Smile. But Reserves is not something that she needs.
This is correct.

If I remember accurately, I think you had 5 or 6 troopers left before you hit reserves. I was thinking to myself how, if I could kill 3 of them the next turn (Mace was at 120hp, GOWK at 90hp, or something) I could actually pull out a win. But then you rolled Reserves and had 4 more shots coming at me that round, which is what swung the pendulum in the end. And yes, my SSM rolls were amazing near the beginning of the match...but I also missed a crucial kill shot near the beginning with a Klat. It was already a super-tight game, but Reserves won it for you.

Boy TINT, I bet you were wishing you played your Yodabuck squad during that match
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 4:24:23 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:

And based on the results above, it appears that TimmerB needs an errata.

Not the first to suggest this. Flapper

You didn't include my Thrawn/accurate Klats win over Daala in the NZ Vassal tournament.

Still undefeated against Daala in competitive play. (I did lose to Dr Daman in a playtest).

To be fair I'm sure the fact that I don't play rock squads is a big reason why.
thereisnotry
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 4:46:27 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:
This is correct.

Boy TINT, I bet you were wishing you played your Yodabuck squad during that match
During that match, yes. But Yobuck is also an auto-loss vs Naboo Troopers, who I had to face the round before. So it was 6 of one and half-a-dozen of the other. GOWK/Mace doesn't have a lot of trouble vs the low-attack Naboo...but it's a very bad day vs Force-Immune shooters with insanely high attack scores.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 5:08:01 PM

I'm happy about the errata. I know some other really good pieces like Mon Mothma already have reserves, but Daala is already awesome for 27 points, and the reserves don't feel like they're factored into her cost. At least with Mon Mothma, she has weaknesses - she's super fragile for a 23 point piece, and her commander effect is ranged. I've had a couple of tournament games against Daala where she's hit reserves first round, and in the NZ Nationals final, Dr Daman hit them in two consecutive rounds (although he was already ahead at that point).

At NZ Tournament, apart from losing to Dr Daman, I smoked everyone with Snowtroopers, getting to 200 points every game while none of my opponents made it over 100 points. I agree that other Daala builds are stronger overall at high level tournament play - it was the builds featuring Repulsor Sleds that did best at GenCon and at the NZ Nationals - but for me the telling moment was when Sharron told me that he really didn't want to face my Snowtroopers because he didn't have a counter to them. At least with the Raxus you can bring in Momaw and knock a bunch out. Snowtroopers are really vulnerable to strafe and gallop, but lots of perfectly good squads can't handle them.
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 5:54:19 PM

TheHutts wrote:
I'm happy about the errata. I know some other really good pieces like Mon Mothma already have reserves, but Daala is already awesome for 27 points, and the reserves don't feel like they're factored into her cost.

Big time +1.

Reserves is just a bad ability anyway. Good players don't rely on it. They might happen to have an already good piece that has it (Mon Mothma, Ozzel, San, etc) and the number might happen to come up - but they don't build for it. Pieces with 4 numbers for reserves (Vader AoE, Pong Krell, Kazdan Paratus) are exclusively tier 2 at best and made for casual play. Due to their ultra swingy nature they can beat better squads, but they won't do it consistently. Top tier pieces should not have reserves . . . ever. A few WotC top tier pieces have it, but we shouldn't continue their mistakes.
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 5:58:17 PM

thereisnotry wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:
This is correct.

During that match, yes. But Yobuck is also an auto-loss vs Naboo Troopers, who I had to face the round before. So it was 6 of one and half-a-dozen of the other. GOWK/Mace doesn't have a lot of trouble vs the low-attack Naboo...but it's a very bad day vs Force-Immune shooters with insanely high attack scores.

Not with 3 Klats in your build. Perhaps still tilted against you, but certainly not an auto-loss.

But you are right - match-ups are everything. I was set and ready to handle any Daala squad with ease, but then a ran into a couple of rocks. Ouch!
thereisnotry
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 7:37:07 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Not with 3 Klats in your build. Perhaps still tilted against you, but certainly not an auto-loss.

But you are right - match-ups are everything. I was set and ready to handle any Daala squad with ease, but then a ran into a couple of rocks. Ouch!
On paper it looks good (Klats take shots without reprisal all game long). However, the Klats do 20dmg shots, while the Naboo Troopers have 30hp, which means it takes 2 Klats to take down a single trooper...meanwhile all the troopers are surging forward another 12 squares each round. It'll be nearly impossible to keep the rest of my pieces out of LOS while my 3 Klats stay alive long enough to take down all 15+ Troopers. My only option would be to somehow squeak Yobuck in deep for a kill shot vs Mothma or Mas, but there's no way a good player would allow that. So while the Klats would certainly be helpful, I really don't think they'd have enough oomph to finish the job.
komix
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 11:49:12 PM

So... Imps are back to Thrawn I guess.

Just a quick question - when can we expect erratas to other pieces? talking about naboo troopers, Poogle or Klats?
I get that errata was needed on her - let's face it she wasn't so broken- the combo of her and slaver was broken. And so it was done. But to nerf her even more?
TheHutts
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2014 12:45:16 AM

komix wrote:

Have you actually played with or against Daala? The squad that came second at GenCon this year (http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/142244/-only-tarkins-finest--2nd-place-gencon-2014), and the squad that won the NZ Nationals (http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/139645/daala-in-her-prime-v2-0), are largely unaffected by the latest changes. They just lose reserves - reserves can be very significant if they come up, but you can't rely on them. Daala squads are still plenty competitive, as are Thrawn squads.

Quote:
let's face it she wasn't so broken- the combo of her and slaver was broken.

Do you have any evidence that she wasn't broken without the slaver? The Slaver was arguably the most abusive part of Daala squads, since movement is such a huge part of this game, and it meant that she was just about unbeatable, since she could track down pieces like the Lancer from just about anywhere, but even without the Zygerrians, she was still packing too much power for most squads to handle.
EmporerDragon
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2014 12:54:31 AM

komix wrote:
let's face it she wasn't so broken- the combo of her and slaver was broken

No, Daala and the Slaver were both broken in their own right, and the combo of the two was so horrendously broken that it threatened to collapse the meta down to a Daala/Zygerian based singularity.
urbanjedi
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2014 7:32:41 AM

komix wrote:

Just a quick question - when can we expect erratas to other pieces? talking about naboo troopers, Poogle or Klats?
I get that errata was needed on her - let's face it she wasn't so broken- the combo of her and slaver was broken. And so it was done. But to nerf her even more?

I don't see any errata coming to any of those pieces anytime soon.
komix
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2014 9:03:33 AM

urbanjedi wrote:
komix wrote:

I don't see any errata coming to any of those pieces anytime soon.

And why is that? Weren't many people complaining about them? If we are nerfing characters 2 sets after their original release maybe it's time to look back on NPE from previous sets?

So for 27 points right now with Daala I get:
Unique, Prideful and CE: Charging Fire (normal).
That's costly if you ask me.

Like I wrote before- I understood that errata on her was needed.I might not liked it but got used to it. But the second one as well combined with errata to Snowtrooper Officer? It's too much.

Yes I have played with Daala before changes and after it. It's not a unbeatable squad. If I understand this correctly- from now on each strong squad will be nerfed? [yes that's sarcasm]
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2014 9:25:18 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I don't think the change has to do with whether it's beatable, but the effect it has on the playability of other squad types - particularly the squad types that a large number of people want to play. The Raxus/Elites + Repulsor have had more tournament success and I think they are stronger as a tournament squad than Snowtroopers (even before the Snowtrooper errata). However, Snowtroopers have more near auto-wins and near auto-losses. The losses come against Yobuck/Lancer type squads (which are present but not super-popular). The wins come against rock squads and 'balanced' squads with just 3-5 offensive threats. People want to play those types of squads, but it's exactly those types of squads that are chased away by Snowtroopers. Hence, the Rapport change.

Regarding Reserves - I agree with TimmerB on this one. Reserves should not be on Tier 1 pieces.

On a completely different note - the errata could end up making Daala stronger. If she's 'weaker' and the meta becomes less scissors-heavy as a result, then as a tournament team she could end up being stronger just because she has fewer bad matchups. Suppose she goes from 80% wins against rocks and 80% losses against scissors down to 70% wins against rocks and 90% losses against scissors. That's a weaker squad, but if there are more rocks and fewer scissors then overall it's better for her. Of course, she also becomes slightly worse against other swarms, too, which have beaten her multiple times this season.
Darth_Jim
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2014 2:24:36 PM

komix wrote:
Yes I have played with Daala before changes and after it. It's not a unbeatable squad. If I understand this correctly- from now on each strong squad will be nerfed? [yes that's sarcasm]

Where are you playing and against what squads and which players that your meta differs from what we've seen in NZ and at GenCon? (And no...there's no sarcasm there...I'm really interested in knowing.)
fingersandteeth
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2014 2:46:31 PM

komix wrote:

No, the issue is solved, finished. Now its up to the designers to not allow a clusterfuck like this to happen again.

Excessive rapport of cheap pieces is bad
Excessive boosting of cheap pieces is bad
Designing pieces that are overly strong and toning them down till they "fit" is a poor strategy when adequate playtesting is hard to come by.

These are the lessons to be learned. Nothing has polarized a vset releases like the zyg and Daala.

I'm sorry you feel Daala is too weak. The fact that Dr Daman cleaned house in NZ with a squad that has only lost reserves really makes your point and position weak.
DarkDracul
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2014 3:41:01 PM

Deaths_Baine wrote:
i agree that both the scouts and raxus take more skill to use, i just find it interesting that the only squad effected was the one that has done the worst.

NZ warned us about Dalaa snowtroops prior to the regional season. We started our regionals with snowtroops winning.
As the season progressed snowtroopers didn't do as well because players prepared and built squads to handle it.
Even "rock-ish" type players like myself found something else to play that had a chance to beat snowtroopers.
It's a hard life being the fastest gun in town, everyone is gunning for you.

thereisnotry
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2014 3:56:40 PM

fingersandteeth wrote:
Now its up to the designers to not allow a clusterfuck like this to happen again.

Excessive rapport of cheap pieces is bad
Excessive boosting of cheap pieces is bad
Designing pieces that are overly strong and toning them down till they "fit" is a poor strategy when adequate playtesting is hard to come by.

These are the lessons to be learned.
+1
Well said.
markedman247
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2014 5:09:57 AM

Question: now that the "final rule" has been passed (feels like a Code of Federal Regulations open debate), will a PDF of the errata'd cards be available for DL?