RegisterDonateLogin

Is a political idealist, not a murderer.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Veterans of War, Vassal League Release! Options
pegolego
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 2:54:05 PM
Groups: Member

My game against theUltraStar! One of my favorite matches, yet always a Bane (today no exception lol) in my competitive gaming so far...

So I played the following squad:

Uncle Luke Babysits Jacen, Jaina and Friends (which, conveniently enough includes his daughter's boyfriend...)
Luke, Galactic Hero
Jaina (Legends)
Jagged Fel in Beskar'gam (VoW)
Ganner Rhysode
Jacen Solo
R7
2 Mice
Uggie

TheUltraStar played
Darth Bane (Legends)
Malgus (Legends)
Sith Emperor (Legends)
2 Dark Jedi
LOTS of Uggies and Mice, with an R7

He won map roll after we tied on low rolls (4s I think?) each and then he won the reroll (I improved to a 5 lol). We played on Theed Palace

Round 1 I moved my army up to the door on the right, Luke used Knight Speed to get in gambit. UltraStar moved in as well.

Round 2, another low init roll for me, UltraStar moves up and uses Sorcery with his Emperor's 'Voice'. I make the first 6 saves Scared (Luke, Uggie, Mouse, R7, Jagged, Jacen), but of course fail the last 2 (with two rerolls), Jaina and Ganner, so I'm in a tighter spot as a result... Jagged shoots and is able to put 20 on the Dark Jedi who then takes 40 from Jacen on the GMA move, who then fills a spot in cover while remaining in gambit.

Towards the end of my portion of the round, I decide to make a bold move after calculating in my head a bit; Luke moves in to challenge Bane, drops 60 and with Knight speed gets back behind the door. I know, of course, I take 30 or 40 from an AOO, then Malgus gets up to two shots to hit me for 40 (LST 2, Rage 2) and Bane can move and put another 40 on me, but hope that having 2 Force for LSD can help offset his advantage. I succesfully drop 60 to Bane, who rages and hits immediately on the aoo, so I use one LSD point and make the save, so 120 HP Luke, one Force point and 2 angry Sith Lords. I then hope Malgus could roll under 8 when he throws, so Luke lives, or even if Luke dies, since it should take both Sith turns, I should have a good Jacen bomb for next round (his fodder looked very appetizing here, a chance to bring down some critical HP from Bane and destroy most of the rest of his army)...

Well, things don't go that way at all. UltraStar remembers something else at his disposal, and is able to bring the last Dark Jedi down to use the Emperor's Sith Hunger ability, draining Luke's Force point and 20 HP. Things still look okay, until the dice have their say. A 19 and 20 for Malgus, dead Luke. Bane moves in with Master Speed and LST 2 to kill Jacen, and suddenly I'm all but out of the game, my gamble having backfired.

Round 3, another init loss. The Emperor's CE moves the Dark Jedi into the gambit room, where he uses Sorcery again. This time I fail the first few rolls, and again Ganner is activated, but this time Jaina has her turn rather than Jagged and the fodder. Jaina moves in and misses 2 of 3 attacks on Bane, but hits a 2nd for 60 total damage with a reroll (Bane is at 40). Bane goes at Jaina, and rolls a 20 for 70 damage with Rage! LS Defense saves me here, though, as I am able to avoid that. The next 2 still deal 30 each, though. Malgus comes in and makes some low rolls, which would have been much more appreciable earlier LOL.

Jaina lives, but is dead next round when Bronson sacs the Dark Jedi with the 'Sith Tactician' ability, making my init roll a 1 (he rolled a 16 anyhow), and Malgus Repulses to make a certain death of Jaina.

I take my move, levitate with Ganner and position Jag to drop some damage on Bane, who, after 1 hit and 1 miss, takes 10 damage after Dark Armor saves. He moves down and Jag parries his attack.

Next round, I win init, and go first as theUltraStar locked the door keeping Jag and Bane separated. I use this opportunity to move my Mouse Droid to open the other door so I can get in again if needed. Once the UltraStar goes, he takes Banes turn after unlocking the door, and Bane hits 3 times. Jag says 'no you didn't, actually' and parries 2 of 3 (he was my most effective piece in this game lol). When Jag takes HIS turn, he uses his Crush Gauntlet, rolls JUST enough to ensure the Dark Lords death. Ganner moves into gambit. Malgus puts some damage on him, the game ends.

I scored over 100, but that doesn't help me here. Ultra Star didn't quite get 200, but easily enough to win after keeping me out of gambit awhile.

It was a very fun game, in the end, but things certainly did NOT go my way in this game. The rolls were NOT unbalanced in the sense that mine were ALWAYS low and the opponent ALWAYS rolled high, they were actually pretty fair. The problem was how utterly INCONVENIENT they were lol.

Needless to say, I saw this game going quite differently, and that move with Luke turning out in a rather different fashion. However, critical hits are a part of the game, no matter how inconvenient, and one just happened to be what really turned the tide in this game (though not necessarily what in and of itself decided the game).

That said, playing theUltraStar is ALWAYS a pleasure, and this game was no exception! He always is at his best and in his element in the most crucial games (evidenced by the fact that he is 4-0 against me in my 4 competitive tournaments lol). Also, while he always is in control of the game, it seems, and very confident, he is never arrogant about it. A very good winner and loser (I HAVE beaten him a fair amount of the time in NON-COMPETETIVE games RollEyes), he makes it fun to play whether you won or lost against him! ThumpUp

So, 1-2 with 3 points so far in this League... And 2 tough New Zealanders on my roster still to play, this won't be easy lol.
jen'ari
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 5:01:04 PM

that first sorcery sealed the deal. Fun sounding game. I like the different uses of Sith this release.

Bout to play some guy, someone said he was spry. what the heck does that even mean?
spryguy1981
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 7:43:34 PM

Just finished my game with Jen'ari. We played on Smugglers Base. Final Score was 205-123 in my favor.

I ran Iggy's Droid Workshop
48 IG-88A
43 IG-88, Assassin Droid
42 General Greivous, Hero of Hypori
39 HK47-Assassin Droid
16 R7 x2
9 Mouse Droid x3
3 Uggie Demo

He ran
45 Legends Durge
43 Cad Bane-BH
42 General Greivous, Hero of Hypori
36 Aurra Sing-BH
20 Legends Bossk
9 Uggie Demo x3
3 Mouse Droid

Round 1 was mostly positioning as we both approached gambit. I saved a Pulse Cannon for my last act to take out 2 uggies and give me a 3 activation advantage.

Round 2 he wins init lets me go first, I pull Iggy back out of LoS and then we have more positioning as he sets up on the top right door of the center room. I place GG in gambit with HK and mouse both within 6 of GG.

Round 3 I win init and let him go first. He moves an uggie in, I spin some mice. Then he uses Bossk to thermal squares by HK and GG. Both make their saves. GG does a spinning blade and takes out the uggie and drops 40 on Bossk. HK doubles Bossk misses 1 hits 1, Bossk at 20. He charges in Durge who hits both attacks to drop GG to 60. Then Aurra comes in and GG makes his parry save. IG-88AD twins Aurra but she makes the dodge save then moves away from GG provoking and AoO he misses 1 hits 1 to drop her to 80. IG-88A bases her and a Durge and drops Durge to 40.

Rpund 4 he wins init and shoots GG with Durge, 1 miss 1 hit, regens 20 back to 60. IG-88A chooses to shoot Aurra to try and take her down, hits one misses one to put her at 50. GG attacks Durge 4x first roll is a crit and a failed shoeld save, twin hits made shield save, double hits dead durge. Bossk thermals and HK and 88A save GG misses. GG at 30 Cad comes in a furiouses 88A, HK, and GG. Kills GG, puts 40 on HK, and 30 on88A after a shield save. HK shoots Cad, he shields one off on 88A, and then HK crits and I make the Hostage save to drop Cad to 30. Aurra twins 88A misses. I move up 88AD who shoots at Cad, I make hostage save, dead Cad. GG does a spinning blade on 88A.

Round 5 I win init and use 88A to kill Aurra and run behind 88AD outside of GG's spinning range. Bossk steps in and thermals killing 88A, and putting 20 on 88Ad. GG then spin blades killing my uggie, putting 20 on HK, and missing 88AD. 88AD doubles GG for 60, then HK doubles for 60 putting me over 200.

We did play just cuz he wanted me to get his dudes so I won the init and killed Bossk with HK.

Overall it was a good game and I decided to run a squad I did well with at Minismania 2 in V-Set versions.
jen'ari
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 7:50:50 PM

I decided to run a shooter squad. I played around with the squad and felt like I could actually do it. However, I stink with shooters, dont know when to be bold, or when to sit back, heck i had to keep asking Spry all these questions about how to use sniper and who i could target and if i could see someone. most have been annoying.
I thought at least against a fellow shooter person I had a chance, but that was false. GG had no damage bonus which means he was worthless, Aurra did not get assassin on anything except Grievous. While his HK was duking out 60 a turn and assassin droid has (who would have thought) assassin.

The only good news is that I beat Spry in the "playing Legends or VoW pieces" category. Seeing as how he did not play any ;)

that assassin droid is one mean dude.

No more shooters for me unless its Captain Rex 501st, Han Solo, or Jagged Fel (b/c he can crush skulls)

thx for the game onto Darth_Nevar!!
theultrastar
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 11:30:18 PM

@pegolego

I actually thought you were going to run a shooter heavy squad. You ran all melee on me last time we played with Imp Knights and so I felt you were going to try something shooter heavy this time. You did surprise me with your NR drop. Very good squad. And yes it was an awesome match up.

My plan was to be as annoying with my Dark Jedi as possible, limit your attackers while Bane cut people apart. Your move with Luke was bold, and it surprised me to be sure. I knew Luke was going to be just about dead after you did it. Had Bane's AoO dmg went through the crit from Malgus wouldn't have mattered. I agree that the game was very well balanced on the rolls. You made a lot of saves on the sorcery, and you made some good parry rolls with Jagged.

I did get to drop 2 crits with Malgus which is always fun, but for the most part it was a very balanced game rolling wise. There at the end, had I realized exactly what Crushgaunt did, I would at least contemplated retreating with Bane. Then again, Bane doesn't retreat and I knew it was game so I probably would have stayed put like I did, and try to kill Jagged lol.

Deaths_Baine I'm counting down the days until our epic showdown. Know that. Know that...
jen'ari
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 5:50:29 PM

Just played Darth_Nevar

My army
The Lord of the Sith
Sidious *Legends*
Shae Vizla
Sith Lord X2
Bossk *Legends*
3 mouse droids
3 ugnaughts

Darth_nevar
Anakin, hero with no fear *Legends*
Mace Windu *Legends*
Captain Rex
R2-D2
younglings X3
r7
2 ugnaughts

Darth_Nevar wins a 3 point win.
I forfeited due to principles.
Darth O
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2015 9:36:31 PM

Amadeus and I just had our game. I won map roll and chose Jabba's Palace.

Amadeus:
--I Actually Like Non-Uniques--
57 General Grievous, Droid Army Commander
85 IG-86 Assassin Droid x5
16 Battle Droid Sergeant
13 Czerka Scientist
9 Battle Droid Officer
8 R7 Astromech Droid
6 Mouse Droid x2
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

Darth O:
Untitled Masterpiece
42 Boba Fett *Legends*
39 Calo Nord *Legends*
36 Nico *Legends*
34 Jabba the Hutt *Veterans of War*
20 Bossk *Legends*
17 Elite Czerka Scientist *Legends*
6 Mouse Droid x2
6 Uggie x2

Amadeus chose the left of Jabba's Palace. I used Battle Ready to set up a volley with Boba, but he and Nico both missed their two pot shots. Apart from that, the first round was positioning with Calo Nord parking up in gambit and Amadeus being one square away from gambit with an IG-86. Calo sat in gambit until he was killed by a pair of IG-86s at some stage. Meanwhile, I moved Boba and Nico to the top where they couldn't be seen but could GMA out to take shots. I killed one IG-86 when he attacked Boba from close range. This placement forced Amadeus to move his IG-86s up the top, or else I could simply sit on my 40-point lead and pick out his pieces either from my position or 12 squares away with Smuggler.

Amadeus moved most of his force up to attempt to kill Nico and Bossk, but I was able to kill two more IG-86s and the Battle Droid Sergeant with GMA shots and Thermal Detonator. After Calo and the Elite Czerka died, the scores were locked at 79-79. It was at this point Boba moved into the open and killed an unactivated IG-86, which really decided the game. Amadeus had put his R7 right in front of my guys, so nico was forced to shoot it, but Boba was able to fly over and get the game-clinching kill. Bossk tried to finish Grievous, who had taken 60 damage from Nico's double attack and free grenades from Jabba. Grievous made both his Thermal Detonator and Grenades saves, so ended on 40 HP. Nico was on 30 HP, Boba was on 70, and Bossk was on 60 HP when the final round ended. Final score: Darth O wins 104-92.

Thanks Amadeus for such a fun, tight game!
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2015 9:54:25 PM

such a great game, glad I got to witness the final parts of this. good placement, great movement, everything a minis game should be.
jen'ari
Posted: Tuesday, February 3, 2015 9:41:40 AM

So one game left, against the Justin Cook. So far, I have lost all my games ;(

So sad, and yet so fun.
Mando
Posted: Tuesday, February 3, 2015 11:13:51 AM

Darth O wrote:
Amadeus and I just had our game. I won map roll and chose Jabba's Palace.

Amadeus:
--I Actually Like Non-Uniques--
57 General Grievous, Droid Army Commander
85 IG-86 Assassin Droid x5
16 Battle Droid Sergeant
13 Czerka Scientist
9 Battle Droid Officer
8 R7 Astromech Droid
6 Mouse Droid x2
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

Darth O:
Untitled Masterpiece
42 Boba Fett *Legends*
39 Calo Nord *Legends*
36 Nico *Legends*
34 Jabba the Hutt *Veterans of War*
20 Bossk *Legends*
17 Elite Czerka Scientist *Legends*
6 Mouse Droid x2
6 Uggie x2

Amadeus chose the left of Jabba's Palace. I used Battle Ready to set up a volley with Boba, but he and Nico both missed their two pot shots. Apart from that, the first round was positioning with Calo Nord parking up in gambit and Amadeus being one square away from gambit with an IG-86. Calo sat in gambit until he was killed by a pair of IG-86s at some stage. Meanwhile, I moved Boba and Nico to the top where they couldn't be seen but could GMA out to take shots. I killed one IG-86 when he attacked Boba from close range. This placement forced Amadeus to move his IG-86s up the top, or else I could simply sit on my 40-point lead and pick out his pieces either from my position or 12 squares away with Smuggler.

Amadeus moved most of his force up to attempt to kill Nico and Bossk, but I was able to kill two more IG-86s and the Battle Droid Sergeant with GMA shots and Thermal Detonator. After Calo and the Elite Czerka died, the scores were locked at 79-79. It was at this point Boba moved into the open and killed an unactivated IG-86, which really decided the game. Amadeus had put his R7 right in front of my guys, so nico was forced to shoot it, but Boba was able to fly over and get the game-clinching kill. Bossk tried to finish Grievous, who had taken 60 damage from Nico's double attack and free grenades from Jabba. Grievous made both his Thermal Detonator and Grenades saves, so ended on 40 HP. Nico was on 30 HP, Boba was on 70, and Bossk was on 60 HP when the final round ended. Final score: Darth O wins 104-92.

Thanks Amadeus for such a fun, tight game!

so glad to see a Legends squad beat that old WotC IG-86 swarm. Really tough squad to beat, especially for Jedi/Sith beatstick squads. Looks like some bounty hunters can do it though, so that is awesome to see!
Amadeus
Posted: Tuesday, February 3, 2015 11:37:25 AM

Yeah it was a real nail biter! Close right up until the end! Whats worse is I forgot to move a square further to collect gambit in the beginning, so if I had done that it would have been 2 points difference, which would have been even crazier.

The hired gun squad is very powerful, as we saw last tournament. Disruptive is a real killer, and you are almost never able to get shots off because of the amount of movement they have from the crazy strong smuggling ability and GMA.

In retrospect, I would have just hid my guys in gambit and wait for him to come to me, since breaking into that corner Boba and Nico kept hiding in was nigh impossible.

I enjoyed the game, good play on Darth O's part. I've been happy to see non-uniques get a chance to do something for a change in this meta, even if it was a loss in the end. Tonight I might be facing off against Justin Cook (don't have an exact time or confirmation so I'll just leave Vassal open), and I'm working on something new and exciting potentially... Who knows? Maybe it'll be the same squad? Maybe you should invest half your squad in Jawas just in case? Wink
Mando
Posted: Tuesday, February 3, 2015 1:07:48 PM

Amadeus wrote:
I'm working on something new and exciting potentially... Who knows? Maybe it'll be the same squad? Maybe you should invest half your squad in Jawas just in case? Wink

Or maybe a Jawa Deathshot squad just to be safe. BigGrin
Justin Cook
Posted: Tuesday, February 3, 2015 10:39:53 PM

I just played against Amadeus, it was a battle of high defenses and not really good offensive rolls.
As time expired and the round to go with it the score was 127 to 26 in my favor.

My squad
"Council Member's Unite"
Mace Windu *LEGENDS*
Kit Fisto *VETERANS*
Plo Koon *VETERANS*
Bossk *LEGENDS*
R2-d2
Mouse x2
ugn x2

His Squad

Great Shadow Father *LEGENDS*
Artus Lok *LEGENDS*
Shae Vizla
Demagol
Bossk *LEGENDS*
r7
ugn x2

We played on Smuggler's Base b/c it's an easy map for me to play on not being that experienced.
Since all my council members have evade i can be pretty reckless.
First round is positioning I am on right and he is on left.
Second round I was able to tow Mace out and successfully force crush Shae Vizla, which brought her down to 10 and activated her, very powerful. Later that round bossk finished her.

Next round i bring Mace and Plo into gambit area through the top and Artus lok made every armor save, and than criticalled mace windu who missed two lightsaber D saves to eat 50. i had stinking bossk, mace, and plo koon trying to take the guy down by the end of it.
Kit killed Bossk eventually. Demagol did some decent damage to Kit, bringing him down to 80.Mace Windu in cover while activated had a 28 defense and had evade in case something hit from nonmelee. Kit Fisto had a 25 d for most of the game, and Plo Koon had protective boost for alot of the game as well. i did not use electric judgment but wanted to see how it worked.
Mandalore armor is dangerous and accurate 80 dmg is crazy too, I just had the right army to deal with he shots coming in.

Great, fun game, lots of action, but the damage output was just not there. poor Mace did not get a single critical through his vaapad and instead got smacked in the mouth.
theultrastar
Posted: Tuesday, February 3, 2015 10:47:24 PM

Sounds like a very interesting game. Thanks for the report!
jen'ari
Posted: Tuesday, February 3, 2015 11:23:46 PM

When are you going to schedule your game with me Justin Cook?
I know your defeat the last time we played (like 4 years ago) still haunts you. I dont want to be an old nightmare, I would much rather be a fresh terror to your peace.

Since I have not won a game yet I will definitely be gunnin for ya. and by gunnin I mean pure lightsabers and force powers
SithBot
Posted: Wednesday, February 4, 2015 7:11:57 AM

Interesting that the gambit was so low for such attack minded squads, which is cool. It shows the battles are the real deal, not every attack hits. Lets face it if I lightsaber does hit, Death and or chopped off hand, etc. Unless you have armor (Darth Vader's armor protecting from Luke's slash, etc).

Mandalore Armor is powerful.
Amadeus
Posted: Wednesday, February 4, 2015 7:41:04 AM

Mandalore armour was good at slowing down the damage, but high defense + evade + plus 2 to saves + LSD + sometimes MoF2 was a tough nut to crack, I really shouldn't have gotten the damage I did (other than all my kills which were ugnaughts). The dice were absolutely batty last night.

Final game against DarthRattlehead will be this Friday night, looking forward to it!
SithBot
Posted: Wednesday, February 4, 2015 7:58:00 AM

Ya I watched the battle, the high defense given off by Shii-Cho style and Council Member was a huge combo, in cover and activated with Shii-Cho Kit gets +10 Defense.
mace was getting +6 in cover giving him a 28 D.
Also, I remember one time when Kit was activated and made a save roll of 9 and since he has council member, he got the save.
At the same time I wish I could have seen a Mandalorian Charge from Artus Lok, but AoO would have had to be given up, with hindsight on Mandalores armor I think I would have moved to gain the Momentum bonus to do some better damage.

I do like how three jedi are very powerful though. Three masters should be hard to hit, but it kind of stinks that a power piece like shadow father had a large disadvantage.

jen'ari
Posted: Wednesday, February 4, 2015 9:45:32 AM

I am really happy that Jedi master's have ways to ensure that they are not taken down by pieces that really have no business taking them down. As far as top level shooters go, maybe we should be a tad more careful, but getting adjacent will solve a lot of those problems. Their are tons of movement breakers to be able to get adjacent in most factions.
Of course being adjacent brings in its own set of problems against melee. I really like the Jagged Fel for that reason. He has melee defense and even a melee attack in crush gauntlet.
spryguy1981
Posted: Wednesday, February 4, 2015 10:07:58 AM

Just finished a really tight contest with Shmi. It really came down to the last round of play and init.

I ran Vader's Destiny
VoW Vader
Legends Starkiller
501st Rex
Legends Tarkin
2 R7's
3 Uggie
3 Mice

Shmi ran
Darth Revan
VoW Malak
Legends Farfalla
Jedi Crusader
Chadra
R7
5 Mice
1 Uggie

Final Score was 186-175 in my favor, we played on Throne Room.

Round 1 was positioning with some door tricks. He took Gambit I didn;t

Round 2 I killed some Mice with Rex and ran him back. He based Rex with Revan and then I used the Clone to Repulse the group and push Farfalla away to avoid the Defensive Force. No gambit for either this time.

Round 3 the battle started. The Clone somehow survived as did Tarkin from really bad rolls for attacks, but then he made all the saves he needed, but Revan does kill Rex. Vader throws damage on Revan.

Round 4 the Clone survives again somehow with 20HP. He zaps 30HP revan who makes the Dark Armor save and then Farfalla bubbles it. Tarkin manages to survive again. Farfalla kills the Clone. Revan survives again.

Round 5 he wins init and attacks Vader using his last FP to Rage. He puts 40 on Vader and misses 2 attacks. Vader kills Revan and Farfalla. Tarkin survives yet again and runs into gambit.

Round 6 he wins init and puts Tarkin at 10. Vader attacks him and FYD's the Crusader who has to base Vader. She attacks and hits.

Round 7 I win init but Vader rolls 2 5s to leave Malak at 40. Crusader misses Vader and Malak kills Tarkin. His Chadra now has gambit.

Round 8 with just about a minite left on the clock we roll init. I win Vader kills Malak and the Crusader. He has gambit. Close close close game, and both were victims of the dice to a degree. Ultimately his dice were slightly less better than mine and that was the deal breaker.