RegisterDonateLogin

As wise as Master Yoda and as powerful as Master Windu.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Veterans of War, Vassal League Release! Options
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Tuesday, January 6, 2015 12:49:46 PM
Groups: Member

don't under estimate mandos. we saw what happened this year at gencon. they may be a big surprise this go around.
theultrastar
Posted: Tuesday, January 6, 2015 12:52:18 PM

Good question Pego. I think you are spot on with most of the squads you listed. I think Nomi Sunrider and the Old Republic could make a splash this time around. They have been getting some really solid pieces. NR has an extremely fun squad with Cade Skywalker and friends. deaths_baine has said on multiple occasions that playing with that squad is the most fun he has ever had playing minis. I plan on running Vader/Tarkin/Carnor Jax in the League. There are several competitive options out there.
jen'ari
Posted: Tuesday, January 6, 2015 1:06:11 PM

i feel that once people have a look at Mandos they will be played quite a bit, I also feel that Sith will still be successful, but not in the same way as last time.

I really like the Jabba and mando shooting, but very active, play like Melee character squads. Mando gets a big boost from the V-Set Allstars.
SignerJ
Posted: Tuesday, January 6, 2015 2:09:39 PM

I think the Old Republic has a good chance to make a splash this time around. Survivability was their major issue last tournament, and, with this set, the OR has become the best faction defensively.
theultrastar
Posted: Tuesday, January 6, 2015 2:19:00 PM

I would definitely agree with that statement. I'm positive the community Meetra will see some significant play time.
obiwan1knight
Posted: Tuesday, January 6, 2015 2:46:14 PM

SignerJ wrote:
I think the Old Republic has a good chance to make a splash this time around. Survivability was their major issue last tournament, and, with this set, the OR has become the best faction defensively.

I agree that survivability was definitely an issue last time. I'm looking forward to see if their damage output is enough though. Here's hoping, because the OR is my favorite faction. ThumbsUp
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Tuesday, January 6, 2015 3:12:01 PM

yeah, i didn't mention the cade skywalker squad, it is extremely fun. played the crap out of that squad for that reason. i may change it up though and play some bad guy factions, something i almost never do, they just look like so much fun in this version.... instead of that Daala swarm, lancer/bomb swarm, vong bomb swarm (so happy vong don't exist) ughhh i hate the bad guy factions functioning as either swarms or out activation squads.
jen'ari
Posted: Tuesday, January 6, 2015 5:22:52 PM

I think to make things easier we should make another thread (when it comes time) where people can just post scores, keep the play tests here, but post something like this:

Ultrastar 2 points
VS.
DeathsBaine

The title thread can host everyone's names, records, and points and the original thread designer can more easily keep up with the points and stuff.

I can definitely head that up if anyone is interested. This way it is very easy to see who has played and the score and the rankings for this leg of the league.
jen'ari
Posted: Wednesday, January 7, 2015 3:41:21 AM

Question on Legends Malgus
Hand of The Emperor (This character can spend its own Force points once per turn and spend Force points from a character whose name is The Sith Emperor once per turn)

Does this mean Malgus can use the Sith Emperor's force points to sith rage 2 and use Malgus's force points to Throw 2?

theultrastar
Posted: Wednesday, January 7, 2015 7:14:29 AM

Yes it does.
scruffyhan
Posted: Wednesday, January 7, 2015 9:14:25 AM

spryguy1981 wrote:
Well Scruff, see that's where you're wrong. You have never played me before, and therefore would have to beat me before I'd give you that 300.00 ;). I've beaten a lot of great players myself and gone on to be 2nd and GenCon and just out of First due to a one on a dice roll. See you talk about UrbanJedi, fingersandteeth, sthlrd2, atmsalad as people you want to play. All of them are great players for sure, but I have also beaten both UrbanJedi and fingersandteeth. I have lost to Urban and Sthlrd also. Never played atm, so why not sign up and play against someone who has beaten some of those players you so desperately want to play against. I'd love for all of them to play because then it will be even more of a blast. But you Scruff-McGruff need to get involved and defend your "crown"

You make me laugh. ALMOST as much as the current Gencon Champion. Who won the event and had to jump up and down and waive his arms for anyone to notice him. Instead everyone was too busy talking about how broken Daala was instead of the squad that actually won. You finished 2nd at Gencon? That's great kid. For the most part, I do not want to face any of these guys for their accomplishments. With the exception of fingersandteeth who I consider the best player that has ever played the game. urbanjedi I want to play because I think it would be fun to humiliate one of the voices of the Sith Holo News Network Podcast. atmsalad because he created a squad even more annoying than my Zam Caught The Klat. and sthlrd2, I don't know why I want to face him. Maybe it's because he doesn't use any vowels in his screen name and that appeals to me. Or maybe it's because I laugh at how he's the most overrated player in the game. Whose only tournament wins have happened when TimmerB decided to take the day off and let him win. All of these names interest me in some way shape or form Spry. I just do not find you interesting. It's that simple.
Mando
Posted: Wednesday, January 7, 2015 10:59:38 AM

scruffyhan wrote:
spryguy1981 wrote:
Well Scruff, see that's where you're wrong. You have never played me before, and therefore would have to beat me before I'd give you that 300.00 ;). I've beaten a lot of great players myself and gone on to be 2nd and GenCon and just out of First due to a one on a dice roll. See you talk about UrbanJedi, fingersandteeth, sthlrd2, atmsalad as people you want to play. All of them are great players for sure, but I have also beaten both UrbanJedi and fingersandteeth. I have lost to Urban and Sthlrd also. Never played atm, so why not sign up and play against someone who has beaten some of those players you so desperately want to play against. I'd love for all of them to play because then it will be even more of a blast. But you Scruff-McGruff need to get involved and defend your "crown"

You make me laugh. ALMOST as much as the current Gencon Champion. Who won the event and had to jump up and down and waive his arms for anyone to notice him. Instead everyone was too busy talking about how broken Daala was instead of the squad that actually won. You finished 2nd at Gencon? That's great kid. For the most part, I do not want to face any of these guys for their accomplishments. With the exception of fingersandteeth who I consider the best player that has ever played the game. urbanjedi I want to play because I think it would be fun to humiliate one of the voices of the Sith Holo News Network Podcast. atmsalad because he created a squad even more annoying than my Zam Caught The Klat. and sthlrd2, I don't know why I want to face him. Maybe it's because he doesn't use any vowels in his screen name and that appeals to me. Or maybe it's because I laugh at how he's the most overrated player in the game. Whose only tournament wins have happened when TimmerB decided to take the day off and let him win. All of these names interest me in some way shape or form Spry. I just do not find you interesting. It's that simple.

I can attest that Matt Spry is one of the best players around. I played you in the last tournament in the first round, end even tho you won, your weren't as good as some players I've played against. I've played against Fingersandteeth, urbanjedi, TimmerB and Matt Spry and they are all better than you. You've proved nothing to say these guys are chumps, so get over yourself. If you really think your all that, prove you can win it again.
Sthlrd2
Posted: Wednesday, January 7, 2015 11:03:07 AM

scruffyhan wrote:

and sthlrd2, I don't know why I want to face him. Maybe it's because he doesn't use any vowels in his screen name and that appeals to me. Or maybe it's because I laugh at how he's the most overrated player in the game. Whose only tournament wins have happened when TimmerB decided to take the day off and let him win.

Lol. This is funny. All this smack talk reminds of when I was wrestling back in high school.
jen'ari
Posted: Wednesday, January 7, 2015 12:41:58 PM

As far as I know Scruffyhan has always backed his claims. I for one want to prove my own against him and will resort from talking against someone who I have not beat. We will see what happens if/when you join up this time round.
Mando
Posted: Wednesday, January 7, 2015 1:13:43 PM

Just as a suggestion for this tournament, but could we get 6 pieces for each faction for the V-set All-Stars and have the BH challenge piece Darth Sidious, Sith Mastermind added? BigGrin

I'd really like to play the new Vader in Veteran's, but there are hardly any commanders that cost more than him that aren't named Vader. the new Vaders Unrivaled ability really makes him unplayable in a faction that is good because of the CE's it has. At 57 pts, good luck getting anyone else to have a CE in that game. Also, whats with the lack of Vong still in the All-Stars?

And also, last tournament we had 6 pieces per faction (12 for fringe) from the V-sets. Why the decrease to 4/8 respectively?
Minijedi
Posted: Wednesday, January 7, 2015 1:26:02 PM

the trick is to have commanders with semi devastating effects and then force your opponents to decide whether killing vader early on is a good move
harryg
Posted: Wednesday, January 7, 2015 1:32:44 PM

scruffyhan wrote:
spryguy1981 wrote:

I almost forgot about scruff's cynical trash talk lol
theultrastar
Posted: Wednesday, January 7, 2015 1:36:40 PM

Mando wrote:
Just as a suggestion for this tournament, but could we get 6 pieces for each faction for the V-set All-Stars and have the BH challenge piece Darth Sidious, Sith Mastermind added? BigGrin

I'd really like to play the new Vader in Veteran's, but there are hardly any commanders that cost more than him that aren't named Vader. the new Vaders Unrivaled ability really makes him unplayable in a faction that is good because of the CE's it has. At 57 pts, good luck getting anyone else to have a CE in that game. Also, whats with the lack of Vong still in the All-Stars?

And also, last tournament we had 6 pieces per faction (12 for fringe) from the V-sets. Why the decrease to 4/8 respectively?

Because we use the Vsets more as support. We will more than likely eventually cut it down to V20. I personally would like to phase out the Vsets completely from what we do, but then again I enjoy certain aspects like the Sith Pawn. Why remake it, when we can just give him a slot in V20? Same with the Klat Black Sun Thug. Anyways, as we make more sets we plan to decrease what V-Set stuff we keep as legal?

As far as Vader goes, look at him with Carnor Jax, and the Tarkin from Legends. I like to bring in Capt. Rex 501st who gets Flak Shields. But you could also rock Starkiller's Clone.
spryguy1981
Posted: Wednesday, January 7, 2015 1:59:02 PM

TJ you should jump in a join. I've found this to be fun to play, especially with the collapse of the minis community in my area and no one on vassal to play in standard format anymore. It really is a lot of fun, and you'd be a valued addition to the league. Anytime more top 8 material players can play in an event it makes it more fun.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Wednesday, January 7, 2015 3:09:40 PM

oh scruffy.... how i loathe you. you are a great player, but my goodness i can't stand it when you post. i wish someone would take his challenge and beat him, so i can see him walk away in fear..... speaking of walking away where is bill?! i think he would be up to the challenge.